Community Member

Default Rollet in the Halls of Shan-To-Kor

Rollet arrives in The Harbor and advances to level 3, taking the Dodge feat, which isn't that exciting. How long to Manyshot again? By the start of level 3 she has equipped herself with the Arcane Mind set, granting +24 universal spellpower, and acid spellpower is now 50.

Level 3 (start): 28 dps (+1 longbow + 3d8 acid, 50 spellpower)

(the mathophobes that walk among us can simply skip the next section)

• 4.5 - longbow
    • +1 - +1 enchantment
    • +0.75 - 0.25[W] guild bonus.
    • 4.5 - point blank shot
    • +2 - past life, ranger
    • +1 - STR mod
    • = 14 dpa
    • + 1.4 (10% crit bonus)
    • + 0.2 (+2 crit guild bonus)
    • = 15 weapon dpa
    • 13.5 acid damage
    • x 1.5 (50 spellpower)
    • - 0.5 (rounding down adjustment)
    • = 20 elemental dpa
    • = 35 total dpa
    • x 0.75/s (Rapid shot feat)
    • x 1.05% (doubleshot, 2% guild, 3% PL)
    • = 28 dps

Rollet starts out in the harbor by ransacking the Haverdasher quest. I was really confused by the combat log, and needed to gather a lot of numbers to make sense out of it. After about 5 or 6 run throughs I concluded:

• "DR 4/bludgeon, slash" means that you have DR 4 except for bludgeoning or slashing damage, which means that it only works on pierce damage. I guess listing this as "DR 4/pierce" would have been too simple?
    • The combat log incorrectly states that piercing DR is applied when wearing Axebanes and that slashing DR is applied when wearing Spearbane, when in fact the correct damage reduction is being applied.
    • Axeband and spearbane are quite effective if you're wearing the correct one for the damage you are taking.
    • I had armor with acid guard on it, and it also make a noteable difference.

Equipped with the Spearbane bracers, acid guard armor, and acid arrows, Rollet soloed through Haverdasher in a wink. In contrast the acid guard armor had NO effect when she mistakenly ran on Normal. Because she was one-shotting everything. (OK, the named took 2.)

Rollet waltzed through Durk's Got a Secret, Information is Key, Garrison's Missing Pack, and Recovering the Lost Tome, and is benefitting from the 7 elemental resistance she gets (5 guild, 2 ranger PL). She advanced to level 4 and... what's that? What is that fearsome bellow I hear in the distance?

"UNLEASH THE CRAFTERS!!!"

I am really big into cannith crafting. I mean, there are just so many numbers involved, what's not to love? The endless mind-numbing farming? The impossibility of trying to put together the perfect output? The shear torture of feeling compelled to repeat the whole insane process each level to eke out the last possible bonus? The impossibility of keeping track of all the items from your previous 56 attempts to put together the perfect outfit? It just brings a tear to my eye. I normally don't worry about crafting gear until later levels, but couldn't pass up the opportunity. You know, for more numbers. I'll skip the Full Monty (a confusing reference since I mean more clothes, not less) treatment of a complete outfit and concentrate just on offensive items (you know, the ones that do damage, not polyester suits):

• Accuracy +5
    • Strength +3
    • Corrosion +55 (but doesn't stack with the Arcane Mind set unfortunately)
    • Doubleshot +2% (but increases the character sheet value from 5% to 7.69%. I'll use the latter.)
    • Spellsight +6
    • Ranged Alacrity +4% (but the character sheet reads 5% which I will use)
    • Deadly +3
    • Negativity 2 (2d6 negative damage)

I also slotted a Ruby of Lesser Frost (d2 cold damage). I mean, if we're going full OP, why not? With 12 APs you can get the 3rd tier of elemental arrow if all your points are in the AA tree, so that's what she did. For the damage calculation I included the effect of Ram's Might. A +2 size bonus to strength and damage results in +3 overall since the +2 strength also adds a point. She is also up to 95 acid spellpower. The 95 spellpower is 14 skill (4 base, 3 ranks, 1 guild, 6 gear) + 5 guild + 15 AA enhancements + 6 bow + 55 gear. In case you were wondering.

And now the starting level 4 calculation which would be really tedious if the number wasn't so impressive.

Level 4 (start): 65 dps (+2 longbow + 5d8 acid, 95 spellpower, geared up)
    • 4.5 - longbow
    • +2 - +2 enchantment
    • +0.75 - 0.25[W] guild bonus.
    • 4.5 - +1[W] point blank shot
    • +2 - past life, ranger
    • +3 - deadly
    • +3 - STR mod (8 base + 2 guild + 3 tome + 3 gear = 16)
    • +3 - Ram's Might
    • = 23 dpa
    • + 2.3 (10% crit bonus)
    • + 0.2 (+2 crit guild bonus)
    • = 25 weapon dpa
    • 22.5 5d8 acid damage
    • x 1.95 (95 spellpower)
    • - 0.5 (rounding down adjustment)
    • = 43 acid dpa
    • +7 negative dpa (2d6 Negativity 2)
    • +1.5 cold dpa (1d2 Ruby of Lesser Frost)
    • = 52 elemental dpa
    • = 77 total dpa
    • x 0.75/s (Rapid shot feat)
    • x 1.05 (ranged alacrity)
    • x 1.077 (doubleshot, 2% guild, 3% PL, 2.69% gear)
    • = 65 dps

With each new level she has roughly doubled her dps. At this rate she'll reach 4 million at level 20. (A girl can dream, can't she?)

She starts on the Waterworks chain, one-shotting everyone in the slayer area. She equips Spear Bane and steps in – and nearly gets taken out by the acid trap! Having 117 hps helps and she survives. (Casting acid resistance might be a better choice than Ram’s Might?) And remind me to purchase some Remove Curse pots. She gets mobbed and some sort of guard protection would have come in useful. Electric ER vs the shamans would also be useful. The fire trap killed me! ProTip: don’t stand in the fire trap and get hit until you die. Also: bring Cure Poison pots.

Went through a 2nd time – it seemed easy if you know what to expect. Most of the damage came from just a couple of hits from the acid and fire traps (Noted two save failures on rolls of 6 and 8 with a +12 modifier). Otherwise suffered piercing damage from the kobolds who are hitting for an average of 8 and having 4 blocked by Spear Bane. It’s those wolves you must watch out for! 18 slash in one attack and 26 pierce in another. Ouch! Only about 1 of 3 attacks hits.

She runs Rescuing Arlos and finds it challenging but got through without being in too much danger of dying. It seems that magical attacks are more dangerous than physical ones. Most of the damage was electric (lightning bolts), but about half was blocked by ER. Pierce was the next biggest source, over have blocked by DR. Finally there was bludgeon, and of course none of that was blocked. Swapping out Energy Resistance for Ram’s Might would have negated most attacks.

Decided to update my gear for some defensive boosts with more cannith crafting. When done she has added
    • Fortification +55% (total 60%)
    • Invulnerability & Fearsome (armor)
    • False Life 12
    • Dodge 3% (but reads 4% on the tooltip, total is 7%)
    • Sheltering 8 (ring, total 12)
    • Natural Armor 3 (cloak; defense 60 -> 64%)
    • Protection 3 (bracers; defense 64% -> 67%)
    • Resistance 3

Ran Clan Tunnelworm
    • Killed once by the poison traps – they’re part of an optional so I should have just avoided them. ER is of no help, and I failed 4/6 saves (with 4 rolls of 6 or less with a +12 reflex bonus). You must know your quests at the higher level, and I don’t know them that well, so I should expect more trips to the spirit binder that are caused by player ignorance.
    • Monsters hit rate about 30%.
    • I only suffered a single grazing shot. A grazing hit only does the base damage of the weapon without any boosts from strength, feats, or magic, so not that much different from a miss for me. It looks like my Accuracy shard is worth it and increasing accuracy with higher level quests will also be useful to keep grazing hits to a minimum.
    • Invulnerability is nice, blocking 2/3 of the physical damage. It will all go to tears around level 10 when monsters reportedly start using +1 weapons rendering Invulnerability useless, but it’s all good for now.
    • Fearsome sends maybe 1 in 4 of the kobolds & wolves running away and shakes the rest. The tradeoff for that crafting slot (armor, prefix) is Vitality, giving you 10 HPs at level 4. After using it in several quests I decide that Fearsome is definitely worth it for the crowd-control effect, at least at these levels.
    • Electrical, cold, and to a lesser extent acid ER where helpful. Definitely a better spell to use at this point than Ram’s might for the +3 damage boost.
    • I must work on that final drop down the shaft to the water surrounded by walkways. Landed in the drink and then you get fired on by all the shamans/throwers in the area. I managed to survive swimming over to the ladder and climbing up before returning fire, but a better player would exit the shaft (with Featherfall) and drift over to one of the walkways to the SW or NW so that you can immediately return fire.

Ran Venn’s Fate. Large scorpions were no more than an annoyance. Tunnelworm Grand Shaman did a little damage, but overall it was pretty easy, probably because there weren’t any difficult traps. Followed with The Cloven-jaw Scourge: Blockade which was a yawner, then did The Cloven-jaw Scourge: Caverns of Shaagh. If you let the hobgoblins mob you they can take you out, and Hetman Shaagh’s entourage totally took me out the first time. I re-ran from the beginning and took a little more care with the boss fight. Then I did The Sacred Helm which was supposed to be a yawner because it's only a level 3 quest. Mobs of hobgoblins, Hold Person spells, and running out of Cure Serious pots can give me trouble. I quickly try to run through and die at the boss fight. I go off and buy another pallet of Cure Serious pots along with some Haste pots as well and go back in. The hobgoblin village past the slashing trap is exciting, but I don’t seem to take too much damage. I manage it by having auto-attack on, tabbing to the next target when I kill the current monster and drink a heal pot whenever it’s off cooldown. Just keep your cool! For the last room I quickly retreat when I draw aggro and deal with the hobgoblins piecemeal. OK, now on to...

The Halls of Shan-To-Kor

Traps. Why does it always have to be traps? This is a tough quest, level 5 at Normal, and I'm still level 4 trying it on elite. I break down and spend (squander, really) some shards on a rogue. The first time through I managed to run through the acid trap, but died ignominiously on the ladder from the fire traps while being held by a hobgoblin cleric. First kill the clerics, isn't that always the rule? Next time I made sure I killed the cleric before trying the ladder – my level 4 gold seal rogue being of no help with the traps. I have 17 ER, down a haste potion and try to power through and barely manage it. I then attempt to power through the next set of fire traps - the ones with a zillion traps all in a fiendishly interlocking field of fire. Yeah, that one. I die. I die. I die again. It gets to the point that whenever I show up in the airship bar, Orwal already has a plate of bacon and a broccoli juice chaser waiting for me. I try it on Casual to figure out if I can scoot to a clear area in the field of (literal) fire. Oh, that's why they have floor spikes everywhere. I craft a 15% fire absorption item, backup bracers of Constitution 2 (+4 HPs) and backup armor with Vitality (+10 HPs) to boost me to 131 total. I equip a Reflex save item only to find that the reflex save doesn't stack with my Resistance item. Man, it's just not enough. Why am I even trying to do this? I'm already at the XP cap and the only reason I'm trying to complete it at level 4 is because some stupid leveling guide includes it at this level. Ugh. Crafting is tapped out. What if I review the enhancement trees? Hunh. Did you know that the arcane archer tree has +15 ER action boost? Think that might be useful? And, hey, for only 4 APs I can get +3 to Reflex saves and an additional +3 to saves vs. traps in the DWS tree for +6 total save boost. Think that might help? That still leaves the 12 APs I need for full acid damage. I reset my enhancement trees and tell the Halls to bring it on! Rollet is loaded for bear, or at least ER with almost twice the resistance (32 vs 17) and probably half the save failure chance with the +6 bonus from DWS enhancement. I run through the acid traps. I ER boost and run up the ladder, laughing at the fire. I run through the 72 interlocking flame jets with ease. OK, I lose 75% of my HPs, but you only need 1, right? There's a reason I order cure serious pots by the barrel. I run through the ice traps - ice traps? I didn't know there were ice traps here... Release. Repair. Repeat. I come up to the ice traps, another ER boost and I'm through. The final boss fight was tough, but no traps were involved, so I manage it the first time. Boo yah! Take that you snivelling underwhelming Hall-Closet-of-Shan-To-Korpse! That was fun and that's why I did it.

Onto level 5.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisSmall View Post
    "DR 4/bludgeon, slash" means that you have DR 4 except for bludgeoning or slashing damage, which means that it only works on pierce damage. I guess listing this as "DR 4/pierce" would have been too simple?
    Sorta. If it listed the things you do resist and not the exceptions, you'd eventually end up with descriptions like "DR 10/Bludgeon, slash, pierce, magic, adamantine, mithril, silver, cold iron, byeshk, crystal, good, evil, lawful, chaotic, epic" to inform you that you do, in fact, resist all kinds of damage. It's way shorter to just write "DR 10/no exceptions" or "DR 10/-" at that point. Then there's the fact that not all exceptions need to be listed because all weapons (except the level 23 sword Celestia) deal bludgeoning, slashing, or piercing damage. So an item that provides protection against one of those damage types needs to only list the other two.

Community Member

Default Reflex/Save Buff is Tempest.

I should note that the Reflex/Trap save buff comes from Tempest, not Deepwoods Stalker.

"UNLEASH THE CRAFTERS!!!"

I am really big into cannith crafting. I mean, there are just so many numbers involved, what's not to love? The endless mind-numbing farming? The impossibility of trying to put together the perfect output? The shear torture of feeling compelled to repeat the whole insane process each level to eke out the last possible bonus?
    There is no "endless mind-numbing farming" associated with Cannith Crafting unless you inflict it on yourself. Emphasis on the word farming is mine. Instead, you get the endless mind-numbing experience of standing at the coffee grinder for literally hours not playing a game and instead melting down all your junk items into essences.

As for the sheer torture of feeling compelled to repeat the whole insane process each level to eke out the last possible bonus? Yeah, don't do that. The cost in essences and collectables isn't worth the marginal gains. Craft at logical break points where you see some significant improvement, such as to your DC/damage stat or perhaps to Con. I craft on factors of 4 (levels ..., 12, 16, 20, ..., etc.) since that is where augment levels also sit. Augments are fairly well deprecated at this point in the game, and the ones which are not don't sit at those same factors of 4 (and have bugged level displays as well), but I'm in the habit and/or already have the items made, so that works for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    Yngvarr Stormedge: Aye, laddie. Aye. That be a mighty fine pooop deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    sometimes you just want to light the players on fire, yanno?

A belated, tho enjoyable, read thanks to Nim's bump.

I stopped in looking for why the "Kor" was blipped, but stayed for the STK action.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Niminae View Post
    There is no "endless mind-numbing farming" associated with Cannith Crafting unless you inflict it on yourself. Emphasis on the word farming is mine. Instead, you get the endless mind-numbing experience of standing at the coffee grinder for literally hours not playing a game and instead melting down all your junk items into essences.

As for the sheer torture of feeling compelled to repeat the whole insane process each level to eke out the last possible bonus? Yeah, don't do that. The cost in essences and collectables isn't worth the marginal gains. Craft at logical break points where you see some significant improvement, such as to your DC/damage stat or perhaps to Con. I craft on factors of 4 (levels ..., 12, 16, 20, ..., etc.) since that is where augment levels also sit. Augments are fairly well deprecated at this point in the game, and the ones which are not don't sit at those same factors of 4 (and have bugged level displays as well), but I'm in the habit and/or already have the items made, so that works for me.
    Yes, I recognize that it is entirely self-inflicted. It panders to certain pathological aspects of my personality, and an in-depth analysis showed that it is relatively harmless and cheaper than counseling. My current and final, I swear! (oh, the lies we tell ourselves) crafting plan has new gear every 3 or 4 level based on the steps for ability bonuses. For augments I like to slot feather-falling, UWA, blindness and fear immunity, so they are level independent. Also, I just crafted a few low-level items for a guild-mate, so that was cool. Extravagantly expensive, but the 4th level goggles of spot/search and gloves of disable device for a new rogue were well-appreciated.

Community Member

Yes, I recognize that it is entirely self-inflicted. It panders to certain pathological aspects of my personality, and an in-depth analysis showed that it is relatively harmless and cheaper than counseling. My current and final, I swear! (oh, the lies we tell ourselves) crafting plan has new gear every 3 or 4 level based on the steps for ability bonuses. For augments I like to slot feather-falling, UWA, blindness and fear immunity, so they are level independent. Also, I just crafted a few low-level items for a guild-mate, so that was cool. Extravagantly expensive, but the 4th level goggles of spot/search and gloves of disable device for a new rogue were well-appreciated.
    The named trinket bottle of air is minimum level 1 and provides uwa. I hate giving up a gear slot or augment slot for situationally useful items. Its much rather carry swap in items for things like uwa.
    My phones auto correct/swype failed grammar school.

Community Member

• "DR 4/bludgeon, slash" means that you have DR 4 except for bludgeoning or slashing damage, which means that it only works on pierce damage. I guess listing this as "DR 4/pierce" would have been too simple?
    I just wanted to quote on this one to explain why exactly Damage Reduction is written this way.
    It notes things that bypass your damage reduction because writing things that don't would make QUITE a list.

DR 4/Pierce sounds pretty good.
    Until you meet a Werewolf with DR 15/Adamantine,Iron,Byeshk, *insert every material other than Silver here*
    Or an Iron Golem with similar issues (replace Adamantine with Silver in the above equation)

Listing things that work simplifies those.
    It also makes it so your Morphic arrows (that happen to be piercing, blunt and slashing) will not be blocked by that form of reduction.
    DR 4 that applies against Piercing damage. Then a Skeleton's damage reduction would work against Morphic arrows because their DR blocks slashing and piercing damage, which morphic arrows most definitely are.
    Instead, the Skeleton has DR 10/Blunt, so, as soon as the game sees the Blunt tag in your weapon's damage, it ignores that part of the damage reduction, instead of looking for Slashing or Piercing in your weapon's damage tags to know whether the damage should be reduced.

Nice story. Stk is a fun chain. And yeah that last fire trap is a bugger. With a good jump you can Mario your way across the right side without getting hit, but it takes a little practice. The ice traps stay all the way on the left wall and you’re good (unless you’re going through the other ice traps). The fire ladder though is all muscle unfortunately. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
    Sarlona's FORMER #1 Piker!!
    QuiknDirty~Quikster~Quikkilla Missquik~
    Member of Roving Guns