Thread: Rogue Level 6

Community Member

Default Rogue Level 6

Hello. As a Rogue assassin what should I be working on in addition to questing and leveling? Any advice would be appreciated. It seems like there's a lot to do in this game.

Central Time - Contact me whenever! (Sarlona Server)

You want to focus on your rogue abilities...

but first Choose a path : Assassin Rogue, or Trapper rogue?

After that, please refer to the wiki links below, this will tell you everything you need to know about what rogue you want to be:

https://ddowiki.com/page/Starting_a_Rogue

https://ddowiki.com/page/Rogue

Mechanic : https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...leveling-build

Assassin : https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...build-Assassin

Good Luck to you!

- RJ
    Sarlona - Wolfgame (22), Deviltron (18), Aylaro (7), Fladeshield (20). Feel free to send a tell!

tell us more about what you have done so far!

Lots of possibilities. There are somenice item sets, crafting possibilities etc. You maybe better off in the TA tree and using staves
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked level 4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    Hope extinguished leaves fading memories of better times.

Community Member ShifterThePirate's Avatar

Tanglefoot bag from Mechanic tree is very useful to have for questing. Helps you survive many situations you get swarmed when stealth things fail on higher levels

Default Fr

Quote Originally Posted by Street_Gurgler View Post
    ...in addition to questing and leveling?... It seems like there's a lot to do in this game.
    Favor?

You should have 75 Coin Lord Favor for 4 backpack tabs by now (long ago, actually), and be working on 150 Coin Lord Favor for your Portable Hole (if/when you find/buy one).

You should also be closing in on 75 House K favor for your 2nd Bank tab.

If you have access to Three-Barrel Cove pack, you should also be closing in on 150 Free Agents favor, which will get you cheap +4 Thieves' Tools (altho' if you can get +5, those are just that much better). If you don't own that pack, you won't get there for a while.

There are some others, but those are the key ones imo.

Other than that, there's Crafting, but that's available at any level, and is def a personal choice whether or not you want to pursue it, and to what degree.

Community Member

Thank you for all the replies. There is a lot of info here for me to investigate. Much appreciated.

Community Member

Up to this point all I've really been doing is questing and trying to collect gear that gives a + to my dexterity. I sell most of my loot to buy healing potions lol. I don't know much about crafting or if it's even necessary for my class. Thanks for all the feedback, it has given me a direction in which to work.

Community Member

I sell most of my loot to buy healing potions
    Take a look at the Hireling Vendors in the Marketplace - that saves you a fair bit of plat and is a total game-changer

well, you can use the expedited clickies from Korthos for movement speed, although that can get old.

It will sound crazy but you can run the Red Fens quests on Casual and grab item sets from there (I think at level 7 you can do this, not six). At level 7 you could be wearing the Raveneye set, the Venom set, and the marshwalker is really useful (you can stop using those annoying clickies for movement speed). Raveneye set is very good for rogues.

People will build up Slaver stuff for level 8 and even all of heroics but that is a tough chain to run at low levels and on a new toon. Just do it when capped and preparing for a TR.

Try to get Free Agents favor so you can get the +4 Thieves tools if you do not already have a stack of +5.

Assassin's Kiss out of ToEE is really nice but it is a tough farm for a new toon. Another option is to get that Sky Pirate's dagger out of the 3BC wilderness which is very doable for a new toon and you might even pull other nice stuff there (try to get a Tiefling's Blade on the way to the Sky Pirate ship).

In Memory Lapse, there is a very nice helm, good luck pulling it and the quest is rough since it is new.

Other good lowbie gear: Planar Gird for Greater Heroism.

Have a swap gear set for traps that gives INT, search and disable. It will be on two different pieces of gear.
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked level 4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    Hope extinguished leaves fading memories of better times.

Hello. As a Rogue assassin what should I be working on in addition to questing and leveling? Any advice would be appreciated. It seems like there's a lot to do in this game.
    The links provided above are a great start.

The best advice I have is to join a newbie friendly guild. One that can give or lend you some decent gear and possibly throw some coin your way (and boat buffs make low level quests WAAAY easier). If you play with pug groups, be sure to let them know you are still learning and they will be far more likely to give you tips and tricks on both quest completion and character building. Many of us have characters with more platinum than we know what to do with, so you may also get some handouts. I tend to throw 100,000 plat to any newbie I run with who has the guts to admit it. If you're on Ghallanda, let me know and I'll be happy to load you up.

To answer your question more specifically. Most assassin rogues tend to focus on DPS first, then utility, then defense.

1. Anything that raises your base damage (+1W enhancements, higher main stat like DEX or STR, enhancements that add +1 damage with X, etc.)

2. Anything that makes you hit sneak attack more often (deception, blindness, skills or feats that bluff/feint) are key. Likewise, things that make your sneak attack damage increase (enhancements to increase damage dice, weapons/gear "of deception", etc.). Sneak attack is your DPS bread and butter.

3. Anything that increases attack speed is a priority. Be that doublestrike, off-hand attacks, or pure melee alacrity. More hits means more damage and more backstabbiness.

4. Keep your rogue skills maxxed: search, disable, open lock, hide, move silently, and UMD are musts in my book. As a new rogue, you probably want to max spot as well and keep good spot gear on, since you haven't memorized the trap locations like the old-timers. After the above, work on diplo, bluff, tumble, balance, and maybe jump or listen. Don't worry about keeping your rogue sills gear on, except for spot, since you can stop and switch to it to get traps or locks.

5. Dodge and PRR tend to have more value than pure AC. It's tough to get a reliable AC in DDO at all, much less on a rogue. So, dodge stuff and limit how much damage you take when you get hit with a decent PRR, if you can get it. That's not to say abandon your AC... not at all, keep it as high as you can, but pay particular attention to improving Dodge and PRR.

A ton of this game is about gear. So, using the DDO wiki to figure out which gear you want/need and then farming those quests for it is also a good idea. This is another reason that a good guild can make your time in game much more fruitful.

Someone else mentioned hirelings. ABSOLUTELY! Don't waste time and money on pots. Just bring a hireling to be your mobile medical unit. Set them on defend and follow and they'll keep you alive and stabbing.

Happy hunting. Feel free to PM me if you have additional questions. Not to call anyone out, but Saekee is about as good as it gets for information on roguedom, so rely on his/her advice. DDO players are as accommodating and friendly as it gets, so keep your questions going here (and in groups) as you get them and you'll get all the answers you need (and then some).
    Shiz -Proud Officer of the Southern Tenant Farmers Union - Ghallanda
    Shizmonkey, Shizrhino, Shizchopper and other various Shizanimals and Shizappliances
    R.O.G.U.E. Proving Grounds Redux is now defunct. Check out Part Quatre

Community Member

Be sure to get your free daily cannith challenges token if you aren't a vip, and work towards getting the 'spare hand' belt. That will give you a really good bonus for disarm and open locks as well as some nice combat bonuses.

Keep your bluff max. As an assassin, you can bluff a target to make them vulnerable to sneak attacks for a short time, and once you have assassinate you can also pull off a quick sneak/assassinate combo on the bluffed target if you time it right, even if you're soloing a quest.

If you don't have the Ravenloft expansion, I strongly recommend getting ahold of it. The gear is all min level 10, but it won't take you long to get there. It has stuff like boots with freedom of movement, speed 15, natural armor +6, and reflex +5...all of which are very useful for an assassin. There's also the Keylock Ring which gives +12 to search, spot, disable, and disarm...all your important utility skills in one item. You can look through a list of all the Ravenloft gear and where it's farmed from at https://ddowiki.com/page/Update_37_named_items

Central Time - Contact me whenever! (Sarlona Server)

I think what others have said are really good and you should look into getting Ravenloft.. ABSOLUTELY!

Now, when looking for items, you should get the adventure packs that are newer to the game and do other quests that are newer as well.

For example: Ravenloft is a great bundle to get because the items are newer and more powerful than the older items in the game. However, you are not high enough level for that, so I would stick with Three Barrel Cove.

Once you get into the upper levels (10-20), I would begin your Ravenloft journey. I also recommend flagging for the Shroud in Vale of the Twilight in the Twelve. Though it is an older raid of DDO, There are good items and collectibles that drop from the raid itself. Greensteel crafting.

In conclusion, focus on newer material that DDO has:

Ravenloft, Deciples of Rage, White Plume Mountain, Against the Slave Lords, Temple of Elemental Evil, etc.

Good Luck!

RJ
    Sarlona - Wolfgame (22), Deviltron (18), Aylaro (7), Fladeshield (20). Feel free to send a tell!

Community Member

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate all the responses. I check in here every day and try to choose a few new things to study from this LONG list of great suggestions.

Hirelings are a game changer for sure.

Ravenloft was my favorite D&D module when I played in the 80's. I'll be checking it out here.