Thread: Charmed ^_^

Default Charmed ^_^

Just for fun I decided to figure out all the ways one can buff charmed enemies (most common use would be for the puppies in Hound of Xoriat)... and I discovered a few things...

Mostly that there are many abilities that do not actually buff your charmed minions that many people think do.

At least via examining the charmed creatures, the following do NOT apply:

Consecrate with Crusade (+10% bonus damage)
    Summer Smoke (chance to do +15d20 fire damage)
    Supple as Spring (+3% dodge when hit)
    Bardic Ballad buffs (too many effects to mention)

I tested this with Dominate Monster. Perhaps the puppies in HoX/LHoX react differently? I (or someone else) will have to test these on them, but if they are consistent with other charmed/suggested/dominated/thrall'ed enemies, then yeah, non of those actually apply to them.

Is this WAI?

I believe those are all effects that apply only to party members, as in they have to actually be in your party bar. So it won't affect nearby players in public spaces and NPCs and stuff. Probably WAI.

Some of them say "allies" (and aren't charmed enemies temporary allies *cheesy grin*), and some also specify they include summons (which do not have a party bar when they appear). But yeah, just want to make sure (and let other people know what's up).

...also, I noticed that The Oncoming Storm (from Primal Avatar) is giving two different sets of information.

The tooltip on the ability itself states 20d20 sonic and 20d20 electric damage, but the examination window on charmed temporary allies (monsters) states it's doing 50d20 of each element.

o_O

2016 DDO Players Council
    Resident Blue Dragon
    Hero of the Flame

Quote Originally Posted by vryxnr View Post
    Just for fun I decided to figure out all the ways one can buff charmed enemies (most common use would be for the puppies in Hound of Xoriat)... and I discovered a few things...

Mostly that there are many abilities that do not actually buff your charmed minions that many people think do.

At least via examining the charmed creatures, the following do NOT apply:

Consecrate with Crusade (+10% bonus damage)
    Summer Smoke (chance to do +15d20 fire damage)
    Supple as Spring (+3% dodge when hit)
    Bardic Ballad buffs (too many effects to mention)

I tested this with Dominate Monster. Perhaps the puppies in HoX/LHoX react differently? I (or someone else) will have to test these on them, but if they are consistent with other charmed/suggested/dominated/thrall'ed enemies, then yeah, non of those actually apply to them.

Is this WAI?
    This is disappointing that the Ballad buffs don't seem to affect charmed creatures. I would expect the puppies in HoX to act the same, in which case it's even more disappointing. The others are probably WAI since they specify "allies" which tends to mean party members only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Wise fwom ur gwave.

Community Member

Druid past lives will give +2 to all ability stats for each life up to 3x (+6).
    ~ Alco Holic ~ Grlfriendaggro Pizzenmeoff ~ Rincewind the Damp ~ Sunbernt Junk ~ Ouchmy Leghurtz ~
    ~ Bobthesponge Squarethepants ~ Whaleoil Beef Hooked~
    ~Ascent~

Quote Originally Posted by AlcoArgo View Post
    Druid past lives will give +2 to all ability stats for each life up to 3x (+6).
    Yes.

What my charmer (pure warlock) currently gives when going into LHoX is the following:

+37 to all stats (this includes 3x druid PLs)
    monster CR + 202 HP
    91 temp HP on spell cast
    Dodge +20%
    Lesser Displacement (25%)
    Fortification +300%
    PRR +165
    MRR +95
    Melee Power +140
    Ranged Power +100
    Spell Power +150
    Movement Speed +40%
    Evasion
    Aura of Courage (+4 moral bonus to saves vs fear)
    1% chance on attack to cause Knockdown, 20d20 sonic damage, and 20d20 electric damage (buff bar states 50d20 sonic and electric)
    haste spell for 15% increased attack speed
    Sigil of Warding for +2 more AC and +10 more PRR (could be up to +3 and +15 with one more point spent)
    Tenacious Pack (once per rest, 10 minute duration, via LGS clickie)

Furthermore, you can use a Druid split to be able to cast the other druid pet buff spells (7 warlock 11 druid will get you the above plus all the druid pet buff spells)

(and fyi I decided to go pure warlock instead of a warlock druid split so as to be usefull outside of LHoX. currently have 85 necro DC with +60 spell pen outside of reaper (by swapping The Oncoming Storm and Natural Shielding for Spell Pen, no wiz or FvS PLs though)... and that DC will go up once I unlock the 8th filigree slot for his weapon)

edit: removed aura bonuses that apply to allies but not charmed creatures.
    Last edited by vryxnr; 02-01-2019 at 03:07 AM.

Community Member ShifterThePirate's Avatar

Druid has some nice buff spells that also work on charmed creatures yes

Harrowing Pack - Valid Forms: Wolf, Winter Wolf. The wolf pack hounds their prey, attacking from all sides. Grants the caster and all of his or her hirelings, pets, summoned creatures, and charmed creatures a +2 enhancement bonus to flanking attacks, and granting them a knockdown effect when they roll a 20 on attack rolls.

Pack Aptitude - Forms a link between a leader and his or her pack, granting all of the target's hirelings, pets, summoned creatures, and charmed creatures a circumstance bonus to an ability score. It grants a +2 bonus per 3 caster levels, with a maximum of +6. The caster chooses which ability score to increase. Only one may be active at a time.

Tenacious Pack - Forms a link between a leader and his or her pack, granting all of the target's hirelings, pets, summoned creatures, and charmed creatures +30 enhancement bonus to fortification and +60 positive healing amplification (enhancement bonus).

So, Warlock aura buffs do not apply to charmed creatures either (at least they do not appear when you examine them, whereas they do appear on other players when you examine them).

So things from Enlightened Spirit like Spiritual Defense, Spiritual Ward, Spiritual Bastion, Beacon, and Brilliance (+3 to ac, +3 to prr, +3 to mrr, +10 to healamp, and double your con bonus in temp hp) do not apply. (the temp HP every 2 seconds is the biggest loss imo).

However, Aura of Courage DOES apply.

This is officially confusing, because Aura of Courage states it applies to allies, whereas many of the above effects that do not apply also state they apply to allies.
    Last edited by vryxnr; 01-11-2019 at 12:08 AM.

Finally got around to testing this inside Legendary Hound of Xoriat itself just to make sure the pups act the same as regular charmed monsters with regards to what buffs affect them

Alas, they receive and ignore the same buffs as normal charmed monsters.

That means that the 10% bonus damage from Consecration with Crusade actually does NOT affect them. If did not appear on their buff bar upon examination, and I noticed no significant change to their DPS while it was active vs not (I can see Xy'zzy's HP so could track the damage done with each attack, and had only one puppy charmed and attacking with the other two dead for the test). However, Consecration with Sacred Ground will still heal them.

I know I know, you can't do LHoX on reaper anymore, so hardly anyone cares now... just figured I should still make sure we have accurate info for those few rare times someone does end up running it for fun.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by vryxnr View Post
    Finally got around to testing this inside Legendary Hound of Xoriat itself just to make sure the pups act the same as regular charmed monsters with regards to what buffs affect them

Alas, they receive and ignore the same buffs as normal charmed monsters.

That means that the 10% bonus damage from Consecration with Crusade actually does NOT affect them. If did not appear on their buff bar upon examination, and I noticed no significant change to their DPS while it was active vs not (I can see Xy'zzy's HP so could track the damage done with each attack, and had only one puppy charmed and attacking with the other two dead for the test). However, Consecration with Sacred Ground will still heal them.

I know I know, you can't do LHoX on reaper anymore, so hardly anyone cares now... just figured I should still make sure we have accurate info for those few rare times someone does end up running it for fun.
    A fast, painless hard run is still fair game for threads. Runearm still works, if you're an arti.
    Very much like my favourite weapon, the quarterstaff, I am a blunt instrument, as are my words.
    Thelanis - Striving to be your Swiss Army Knife for DPS, traps and tanking
    Eushully/Centered LS Tempest | Nantekottai/Arti tank | Ponoka - Inquis