Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Community Member Alcides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    543

    Default Paladin of Freedom

    3.5 Unearthed Arcana has an optional variant for Paladins with a Chaotic Good alignment instead of Lawful Good. It has a slightly different spell list but would add more build variety to the game.

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    222

    Default

    I'm interested, if only because of the potential for Bard-adin or Barb-adin builds

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Discpsycho View Post
    I'm interested, if only because of the potential for Bard-adin or Barb-adin builds
    I think barb adin would be the problem there...a self healing (reaper compatible) heavy armored save boosted extra fast THF melee with two or three non feat cleaves and +1/+2 crit profile with any weapon and a metric buttload of heal amp.

    Paladin is already one of the most self contained complete classes, pairing them with the raw dps of barb seems like it's doubling down too much.

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Paladin is already one of the most self contained complete classes, pairing them with the raw dps of barb seems like it's doubling down too much.
    I'm not so sure it'd be gamebreaking.

    Barbarian rage gets incremental bonuses at various levels. People do splash Barb for the T5 Competence bonuses to crit, but that's the same type of bonus as Holy Sword grants. It wouldn't be particularly different from an Aasimar Fighter/Barb; LoH, defensive stance, KOTC cleaves vs. fighter feats. Pal/Barb would have the Cha bonus to saves and Divine Might, but the latter can be achieved pretty easily with a Cleric splash

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Just imagine the 14barb/3bard/3pally swashbuckilng with a handaxe and crabshell! STR build with CHA as second stat with divine might. saves, sacred defender with the buckler for tanking needs, barb damage reduction and improved uncanny dodge (I know you cannot rage with SD, just in case someone want to point it out). just lol

  6. #6
    Community Member Alcides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    543

    Default

    If we assume that a paladin / barbarian build is too strong consider the following.

    1 Level of Cleric or Favored Soul gets Divine Might and it takes 4 levels of Paladin to do the same arguing it is a moot point.
    You have to be in a Defensive Stance to gain a majority of the defensive bonuses from the Sacred Defender tree.
    It is not intended for rage to stack with the defensive stance bonuses from the Sacred Defender tree.

    Cleric can get high saves from the luck domain in addition to having a solid healing chassis.
    Favored Soul can get high saves from beacon abilities in addition to having a solid healing chassis.
    Paladins have a decent healing chassis but clerics and favored souls are better at it, paladins get arguably better defenses but domains and beacons really make that argument to not hold much water.

    So saying paladins have too good of healing or defenses is also a moot point.

    The only thing that may be too good is barbarian healing amp but that's pretty high almost to the point of being broken already. It also takes a lot of barbarian levels to get the good stuff which would diminish the benefits from the paladin splash.
    Last edited by Alcides; 01-10-2019 at 03:34 PM.

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alcides View Post
    If we assume that a paladin / barbarian build is too strong consider the following.

    1 Level of Cleric or Favored Soul gets Divine Might and it takes 4 levels of Paladin to do the same arguing it is a moot point.
    You have to be in a Defensive Stance to gain a majority of the defensive bonuses from the Sacred Defender tree.
    It is not intended for rage to stack with the defensive stance bonuses from the Sacred Defender tree.

    Cleric can get high saves from the luck domain in addition to having a solid healing chassis.
    Favored Soul can get high saves from beacon abilities in addition to having a solid healing chassis.
    Paladins have a decent healing chassis but clerics and favored souls are better at it, paladins get arguably better defenses but domains and beacons really make that argument to not hold much water.

    So saying paladins have too good of healing or defenses is also a moot point.

    The only thing that may be too good is barbarian healing amp but that's pretty high almost to the point of being broken already.
    2 lvls of pally for divine might but more AP and you only use SD when you need defense because combined with the damage reduction from barbarians its frickin awesome. you dont want to heal with a barb/pally you want to kill. and 2 lvl of pally are enough to get +8 to all saves which is awesome. luck domain doesnt give +8 and taking 14 level of cleric for the no fail if you intend to melee is kinda weak. I would TR to try a splash for sure!

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    61

    Default

    oh and right now there are no benefits to being a paladin except for the bonus to saves XD

  9. #9
    Founder & Super Hero Arkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    7,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFast View Post
    oh and right now there are no benefits to being a paladin except for the bonus to saves XD
    You forgot Immunity to Fear and Divine Health (complete and total immunity to all diseases).
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    You forgot Immunity to Fear and Divine Health (complete and total immunity to all diseases).
    oh good point! so level 3 pally would have +11 to all saves and those immunities. not bad for defense when you have the offense of a swashbuckling barb. more and more i want that chaotic good pally!

  11. #11
    Community Member Alcides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    543

    Default

    Paladins can't use Divine Might until level 4 which is when they are granted the Turn Undead Feat.

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I think barb adin would be the problem there...a self healing (reaper compatible) heavy armored save boosted extra fast THF melee with two or three non feat cleaves and +1/+2 crit profile with any weapon and a metric buttload of heal amp.

    Paladin is already one of the most self contained complete classes, pairing them with the raw dps of barb seems like it's doubling down too much.
    Nah it'd be fine.

    Definitely would be cool if we got Paladin of Freedom. Great class variant.

    Paladin of Freedom doesn't get Immunity to Fear. It gets immunity to charms and compulsions.

    In a dream world DDO we'd have all the alternate class features not to mention all the classes as well as all races and racial variants and variant classes.
    Last edited by GramercyRiff; 01-11-2019 at 12:23 PM.

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alcides View Post
    Paladins can't use Divine Might until level 4 which is when they are granted the Turn Undead Feat.
    Damn everytime I try so see something good in pally it just get to the point where they should be revamped lol. forget it then i'm not TR'ing even with that chaotic good pally

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload