Community Member

Default Rune Arm Question for Leveling

Hey all you much-more-knowledgeable arti folks, I’m looking for some opinions. I’m finishing up my class tr’s and looking to start some racial/epic tr’s. I’ve been doing 6/6/8 arti/ftr/whatever for classes, and I’m thinking of using a 12/6/2 arti/fighter/monk (or rogue) for my racial/epic tr’s. My question for y’all is: what are your preferred rune arms for leveling (you’re also welcome to comment on my planned split for the tr’s if you want to). Thanks in advance for all your opinions!

Ammo
    Ammonihah on Orien

Quote Originally Posted by crudd26 View Post
    Hey all you much-more-knowledgeable arti folks, I’m looking for some opinions. I’m finishing up my class tr’s and looking to start some racial/epic tr’s. I’ve been doing 6/6/8 arti/ftr/whatever for classes, and I’m thinking of using a 12/6/2 arti/fighter/monk (or rogue) for my racial/epic tr’s. My question for y’all is: what are your preferred rune arms for leveling (you’re also welcome to comment on my planned split for the tr’s if you want to). Thanks in advance for all your opinions!

Ammo
    If you're just leveling pure 20 arti is the best (unless you need other classes). They get some good CC abilities and other things that help them in higher levels.

Best leveling runearms I've found are:

Khyber's Fury
    The Pea Shooter
    The Astral Projector
    Hand of the Tombs
    The Disciplinator
    The Turmoil Within
    The Arc Welder (long range)
    Glorious Obscenity

Community Member

The best 5th lvl Runarm is Strinati's Hand Cannon. It does fire and bludgeoning damage and more importantly, it destroys the webs that your friendly spellcasters throw down. "Please stop blasting my webs!"... Stop casting Web in front of my blasts.

Ok.. that's my suggestion

The other suggestion at 14 is Whirling Words. Once you get to 29.. Machination of Madness is best at that range.. it's Bees... Of course I haven't gotten any of the others at that range but .. bees!!!!

Default Arti

I prefer a pure arti. Don't need evasion if the traps are down (and most traps only hit a certain spot so predictable), and if you're going Epic, the capstone's too good to pass up.

As for runearms (and level) that I usually prefer:
    (3) Flicker from The Seal of Shan-To-Kor, electrical lash isn't bad, hit targets as it passes by them.
    (5) Strinati's Hand Cannon from Three Barrel heroic area, from his chest. Easy to farm, anything with exploding or cannon shot is good bang for the buck.
    (7) The Astral Projector from the Halloween event, has disruption among other things...... still busted though, the actual rune shot doesn't register a hit most of the time.
    (10) Suppressive Fire from Barovia Final Vintage. Corrupted shot, so not only fireball damage, you can curse stuff too. Plus fear immunity, and it's part of the Barovia MIST set.
    (13) Arm of the Archons from Archon's Trial. I prefer this over Whirling at (14), since it's an impulse item as well, and the books from Whirling tend to hit walls alot.
    (19) Toven's Hammer from the House Cannith raid. Requires a couple of parts, but having lightning strike procs on all my spammy repeater attacks is fun.
    (21) The Epic Astral Projector if it ever gets fixed.
    (24) Glass Cannon from the Cove event is my go-to. Dual damage types. Lose fortification, but these days that's an easy fix.
    (24) St. Mu'Ray's Fire from Three Barrel Precious Cargo quest. It's not bad for "casty" electrical artificers. Not my style, but I have used one.

Legendary Suppressive Fire (again from Vintage). More fire resist, 202 combustion, etc. Again, part of the MIST set for Barovia.

Machination of Madness from the Hound raid. One of my favorites. Faster charge rate, drops stacks of Bees on the target for untyped/physical DoT damage (knives),
    insightful repair amp and evocation focus, natural AC bonus, and two slots. Has taint, so if you're lawful you lose a level while equipped. I'm never lawful anyways.
    Last edited by DRoark; 01-23-2019 at 11:03 PM.

Community Member

Ranking St. Murrays Fire as "Not bad" is a vast understatement. Lightning Storm is far and away the best rune arm shot type in the game since fully charged it is 4 AoE hits. It's basically a 0 SP Energy Burst with no animation time.

Quote Originally Posted by gwonbush View Post
    Ranking St. Murrays Fire as "Not bad" is a vast understatement. Lightning Storm is far and away the best rune arm shot type in the game since fully charged it is 4 AoE hits. It's basically a 0 SP Energy Burst with no animation time.
    If it didn't get resisted so much it might be moved to "Decent", maybe.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DRoark View Post
    (7) The Astral Projector from the Halloween event, has disruption among other things...... still busted though, the actual rune shot doesn't register a hit most of the time.
    This one I can readily explain. The actual graphics and the place the shot damages aren't identical. The shots have very short (about the reach of Cone spells) range at which they deal damage, while the shot graphically moves MUCH further.

As for my own favorites...

Strinati's is a neat little cannon.
    For the effects alone, Astral Projector wins it out, even with its buggy shot.
    The long range version of Arc Welder is GREAT if you want to maximize your lightning damage output.
    Arm of the Archons is bugged and charges to level 5, which makes its damaging shots a lot more impactful than you'd expect.

Default Ahhh, OK

Quote Originally Posted by Xgya View Post
    This one I can readily explain. The actual graphics and the place the shot damages aren't identical. The shots have very short (about the reach of Cone spells) range at which they deal damage, while the shot graphically moves MUCH further.

As for my own favorites...

Strinati's is a neat little cannon.
    For the effects alone, Astral Projector wins it out, even with its buggy shot.
    The long range version of Arc Welder is GREAT if you want to maximize your lightning damage output.
    Arm of the Archons is bugged and charges to level 5, which makes its damaging shots a lot more impactful than you'd expect.
    That's good to know, noone's I'd talked to had mentioned that.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Since it's possible to craft onto some Rune Arms, is it worth doing so? I'm looking at an upcoming inquisitive life and I'll obviously take at least 2 Artificer levels for the Rune Arm. Are there any cannith crafted effects that would make you say, "Ooh! I'm glad I blanked out the named item traits and replaced them with these crafted traits for level 10+!"
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

i like the Astral Projector a lot and use it from 7-9, but switch to Hand of the Tombs at level 10. Astral gives ghostly and disrupting weapons. At 10 i run with the silent avenger set which gives me ghostly and I love the blast from Hand of the Tombs for box breaking, but still have disrupting weapons for undead. Running inquisitive with ratcatcher, so i really don't need my runearm for damage.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by gwonbush View Post
    Plus it has a 25% bonus recharge rate, making it a must-have IMO.
    "I didn't change my mind, It changed all by itself" – Luna

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Since it's possible to craft onto some Rune Arms, is it worth doing so? I'm looking at an upcoming inquisitive life and I'll obviously take at least 2 Artificer levels for the Rune Arm. Are there any cannith crafted effects that would make you say, "Ooh! I'm glad I blanked out the named item traits and replaced them with these crafted traits for level 10+!"
    It can be. If you get a rune arm that you like the shot effect of, but aren't a fan of the other effects on it, go ahead and use crafting to get the effects you want. However, a few things of note. Not all of them can be crafted, only the ones with the craftable rune arm property, you can't change their minimum level(so no crafting it to use it at a lower level, but on the plus side, no need to craft ML shards for them), you can't change the shot effect or the imbue, and only rune arms of ML 11 or higher can get an extra effect.

But if you're playing, say, a melee artificer and you get the Trial by Fire rune arm, but you have an item that gives better vitality/fire resistance. Crafting gets rid of those, then you can slap, say, melee alacrity and natural armor on it or something.

Further, unless I'm mis-remembering, even if you craft it and find you preferred the non-crafted version you can take it to a device workstation with some dust of disjunction and it gives you the original rune arm back. Not the essences/shards you used on it, but still. So you can play around and if you don't like it reset it back to the way it was, with your only loss being some collectables, essences, and a little plat for the dust.