Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

Default U41 Electroficer - Pure Artificer

*How did the Arti get aggro?*

Introduction
    This artificer build focuses on dps via Electric SLAs, spells, and rune arms.
    Incidental to this is a decent (bang on 100 in Reaper for me, but YMMV) Evocation DC which means Tactical Detonation and Prismatic Ray are usable.
    Crossbow damage is sub-par as you don't have fusillade, any Crit Multi boost, or IC/OC.

Key Points
    1) This is one of the highest AoE dps builds in the game right now.
    2) You can CC certain annoying enemies (e.g. Flameskulls) even in R10.
    3) You're still very good for single target damage.
    4) You can provide strong boss damage mitigation through Prismatic Ray (-25% boss melee damage with 100% uptime) and Radiant Forcefield (-25% tank damage taken; but not 100% uptime).
    5) You're an Arti and can buff the group / trap / use the dog for its many purposes (read 'to get that one lever in Death House').
    6) You are on the squishier end of the spectrum with no inherent PRR / HP boosts and don't get to use Epic Defensive Fighting even if you wanted to. This means you can res, heal and interact with other party members in some sort of cooperative 'group or team-based gameplay'.
    7) If it's lightning immune, welcome to the D tier of dps where a single dretch becomes a shroud portal. If you run regularly with an air savant, this is a total non issue and it's a happy crazy dps day every day.

Build Dump
    I'm going to present the full-on 12 free racial points version. [You don't need that though - if you have none just go Gnome and get racial Int and you'll be only 1DC behind people with enough racial points to get +3 Evo DC from Dragonborn.]

Stats
    36 point Dragonborn
    Int - 18 (all level-ups)
    Dex - 14 (assumes +5 tome for IPS)
    Con - 16
    Rest base
    Nerf con as you need. Quiet, haters.

Feats
    1) Point Blank Shot (pre-req for Precise Shot)
    3) Completionist (replace with IC: Ranged or Precision if you don't have it)
    4) Quicken
    6) SF: Evo
    8) Maximize
    9) GSF: Evo
    12) PL: Wiz (replace with IC: Ranged or Precision if you don't have it), Precise Shot (pre-req for Improved Precise Shot)
    15) Improved Precise Shot (for Pin to create helpless damage)
    16) Empower
    18) Insightful Reflexes
    20) Heighten
    21) ESF: Evo
    24) Master of Artifice (Blast Rod SLA and spell, Lightning Sphere SLA, and Lightning Motes SLA are in your heavy rotation)
    26) ESP: Lightning
    27) Master of Air (Lightning Bolt SLA is in your heavy rotation)
    28) Doubleshot
    29) Harbinger of Chaos
    30) Intensify, Scion of Air

Things worth noting:
    - no IC or OC (your crossbow is for Pin)
    - no Embolden (if you desperately want another +2DC, swap it in instead of Intensify.)
    - no Rapid Shot (I continue to maintain this feat does literally nothing on a crossbow)
    - no Mental Toughness line (if you shun crossbows entirely to run Lightning Coil at cap, I'd get these instead of PS/IPS)
    - take Master of Air and Master of Artifice

Enhancements

Arcanotechnician (44 points)
    Cores
    Tier 1
    3/3 Static Shock SLA
    2/2 Spell Critical
    3/3 Wand/Scroll Mastery
    Tier 2
    3/3 Imbue Defender
    2/2 Spell Critical
    Tier 3
    3/3 Lightning Sphere SLA
    2/2 Intelligence
    Tier 4
    3/3 Blast Rod SLA
    3/3 Arcane Engine
    2/2 Intelligence
    Tier 5
    6/6 Lightning Motes SLA
    3/3 Evocation Focus
    3/3 Arcane Mechanism

Battle Engineer (23 AP)
    Cores
    Tier 1
    2/2 Crossbow Training
    3/3 Field Engineer
    3/3 Thaumaturgical Conduits
    Tier 2
    2/2 Crossbow Training
    3/3 Ranged Wrack Construct
    Tier 3
    2/2 Crossbow Training
    2/2 Int +1
    Tier 4
    2/2 Int +1

Harper Agent (3 points)
    Cores
    Tier 1
    Strategic Combat I (Int to hit)

Dragonborn (22 points but choose race and racial AP to match what's available to you)
    Cores
    Tier 1
    2/2 Resilience
    3/3 Draconic Visage
    Tier 2
    2/2 Blue Dragon Breath
    2/2 Resilience
    Tier 3
    2/3 Draconic Heritage: Blue
    3/3 Power in Breath
    2/2 Draconic Knowledge: Blue
    Tier 4
    2/2 Wings
    3/3 Evo DC +3

Reaper
    I split fairly evenly between Barricade and Thaumaturge, with 1 point in Dread Adversary for the +1 to hit and damage.
    Pickup the DC and Int from Thaumaturge, then Con / Reflex from Barricade.
    I am going the SP from Thaumaturge over PRR and HP from Barricade, but YMMV depending on what you're running.

ED
    Magister - arcane adept, full evocation line, 3 int, unearthly reflexes 3/3, and imperceptible casting.
    Twist:
    4 - Blue Dragon Spell Knowledge
    2 - Pin
    2 - Precise Evocation
    1 - Cocoon
    [1 - Stay Frosty]

Gear
    Helm - LGS Tier 3 - Air Dominion Ethereal x 3 - +35% Elec Crit Damage
    Necklace - Shroud of Ardent - 72 HAMP, 45 Sheltering, Blue Slot - 40 False Life
    Trinket - Cannith Crafted - 15 Con, 23 Accuracy, 79 Insightful Magnetism
    Cloak - Legendary Phasecloak, Yellow Slot - Greater Evocation
    Belt - Legendary Thrummingspark Cord, Yellow Slot - Draconic Soul Gem
    Gloves - Legendary Blurfingered Gloves, Blue Slot - +15 Spellcraft
    Boots - Legendary Flightfoot, Yellow Slot - Globe of Imperial True Blood
    Ring 1 - Legendary Ring of Nightfall, Green Slot - Festival Int +2
    Ring 2 - Legendary Spinneret, Green Slot - Feather Falling
    Bracers - Legendary Bracers of the Fallen Hero, Green Slot - Resistance +8
    Armor - Legendary Barovian Nobles' Regalia, Green Slot - Blindness Immunity
    Goggles - Legendary Garstones Lenses, Green Slot - Good Luck +2

Quiver - Epic Purifying Quiver (re-equip whenever you die to get Bludgeon back)
    Weapon - Legendary Stormreach Guardian's Crossbow (sentient with Electrocution Tier 3 and Otto's Tier 4)
    Rune Arm - St. Murray's Fire <-- this is the only serious option for AoE dps at 30 due to the 25% bonus charge rate. My voice of the master augment is in this as it's nearly always equipped.
    Rune Arm 2 - some backup force thing - Machination of Madness / Knives Eternal / Epic Arm of the Archons.

Only two raid items, and you only need to do one Legendary Shroud to get 86% of the benefits of the first:
    - Tier 3 LGS Helm Tier 2 is 30% bonus damage on electricity crits (vs. 35% with tier 3). You can pre-farm ingredients up to tier 2 from the flagging quests.
    - Shroud of Ardent from MoD. Functionally, it provides 72 HAMP and enough MRR to cap. The Legendary Reflective Bloodstone from Ravenloft quests also gives you enough MRR to cap. It's really up to you how much you care that about the HAMP. MoD is fun though, and run daily on Khyber.

Stats
    These figures include my past lives, of which I have several, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Defenses:
    HP: 1160
    CON: 58
    AC: 101
    Dodge: 8%, but cap is 31%, so when Mabar candy is up it's that.
    PRR: 136 (57.63%)
    MRR: 70 (41.18%)
    Fort save: 53 (non-reaper)
    Reflex save: 83 (non-reaper) - focus here with Reaper saving throw points since Fort and Will are true write-offs.
    Will save: 40 (non-reaper)

Attacks:
    Crossbow To-Hit: 121 with GH
    Lightning Spell Power: ~1200. I'm sitting outside DoJ writing this with a fully charged rune arm and it says 1202. Obvs in Reaper this goes up a bit. With 8 sentient slots, and the rare version of the Otto's/Grave augment, it'll sit over 1200.
    Lightning Crit: 50% (I don't have energy criticals past lives yet, so this could/should be 53%)
    Int: 91 (including the 1 reaper tree point that's 'always on')
    Evocation DC: 95 (outside reaper)

Spell Choices
    Level 1 - Enchant Weapons, Conjure Bolts
    Level 2 - Byeshk Weapons, Flame Arrow (Flame bolts), Lightning Sphere
    Level 3 - Adamantine Weapons, Insightful Damage, Blast Rod, Lightning Bolt
    Level 4 - Cold Iron Weapons, Armor of Speed, Prot from Elements
    Level 5 - Silver Weapons, Planar Weapons, Prismatic Strike, Radiant Forcefield
    Level 6 - Deadly Weapons, Tactical Detonation, Mass Prot from Elements, Reconstruct
    Everything else is free choice. Byeshk is to hand out instead of Enchant or Deadly when people disrespect your dog.

How to play
    Trash
    1) Tactical detonate mobs if you don't have a wizard who is casting Web. If you do but you don't trust their Web, tactical detonate anyway and burn their webs. Say 'Stop creating spider homes' and offer no further explanation so they think you're unhinged.
    2) Are any individual mobs dangerous and un-cced? Prismatic Ray and/or Pin. You can follow Pin up with a Lightning Bolt SLA to insta-kill stuff.
    3) Lightning Motes SLA - this does actual damage with full metas, but more importantly increases all electricity damage by 15%.
    4) Rune Arm blast whenever you have 5 runes lit up and Lightning Motes is active.
    5) Blast Rod SLA
    6) Lightning Sphere SLA
    7) (spam 'select nearest mob' so you target something) Lightning Bolt SLA
    8) Cast unmeta-ed blast rod or lightning bolt. This is about 1.5 seconds of downtime while your SLAs are all on cool down.
    9) Return to step 1.

Quicken should be always on everything except buffs (though I quicken Mass Prot from Elements and individual Prot from Elements too to help prevent DoT death).

Bosses
    1) Prismatic Ray the boss whenever it's about to expire. This reduces their melee damage by 25%.
    2) Chuck Radiant Forcefield on whoever's maybe the 'tank' by virtue of the chaos for this particular encounter (maybe you!). If it is you, sit still, keep your prismatic ray debuff up, and block if you're a wuss, or resume your blasting rotation if you're not.
    3) Do the same thing you do to trash. Your single target dps = your AoE dps, and it's really solid.
    4) Imperceptible Casting whenever it's off cooldown - especially if you have an Air Savant in the group. Their debuffs augment your damage and vice versa with motes. It's awesome dps in raids, but the fall, oh the fall is deep.

Conclusion
    Artis are fun and very good dps right now.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    In Von 3 the breakables in the Troll Ambassador optional room are slow to get to and unnecessary for ransack.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Community Member

Suggestion since you have racial evocation bonuses, past lives etc. Take scion of fire over scion of air. Your DC's will be fine yet and this is a 8% damage increase. Your in magister and will apply the -10 reflex eventually so once that is on, not much will be saving.

Need to find a dodge item, big for survival. Fix with some reaper points maybe? Or embrace the dark side fully and drop the crossbow. Gearing gets much easier when you don't need to find accuracy and can use the morninglord scepter.

Community Member

now imagine, how cool would an electric artificer be:
    * if you were a gnome and tossed a color spray before that blast rod
    * if you ditched the air savant feat and picked up Burst of Glacial Wrath instead for even more helplessness
    * if you ditched the useless battle engineer and picked up hp and heals from RM
    * if you wore a shield or even tower shield without any major penalties
    (but maybe this sacrifices too much runearm DPS, but personally i am too clumsy to use rune arm effectively on this kind of build)
    (you can actually also waste some of the free feats to pick up SWF and turn on EDF occasionally, and experiment what works how)

Quote Originally Posted by Rush007 View Post
    Suggestion since you have racial evocation bonuses, past lives etc. Take scion of fire over scion of air. Your DC's will be fine yet and this is a 8% damage increase. Your in magister and will apply the -10 reflex eventually so once that is on, not much will be saving.

Need to find a dodge item, big for survival. Fix with some reaper points maybe? Or embrace the dark side fully and drop the crossbow. Gearing gets much easier when you don't need to find accuracy and can use the morninglord scepter.
    I 100% should be taking Scion of Fire over air! Good one. Thanks Rush!

I am not too stressed about the dodge; displacement clickies and the Mabar candy 50% of the time are okay with me as I shouldn't be getting attacked that much anyway.

You're right though; swapping out the accuracy from the CC crafted trinket for dodge (which is really there for the CON and Insightful Magnetism) is what I'd do if I went the alternate non-crossbow gearset.

For completeness, I think that looks like this (though it's substantially more of a pain to attain than what I usually run with):
    - Clouded Dreams replacing Ring of the Nightfall,
    - Mantle of Escher replacing Barovian Robes,
    - Acolyte's Goggles replacing Garstone's Lenses,
    - Reflective Bloodstone replacing Shroud of Ardent (it's annoying to lose the HAMP but Adherent of the Mists is too valuable),
    - Lightning Coil not a crossbow.

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    now imagine, how cool would an electric artificer be:
    * if you were a gnome and tossed a color spray before that blast rod
    * if you ditched the air savant feat and picked up Burst of Glacial Wrath instead for even more helplessness
    * if you ditched the useless battle engineer and picked up hp and heals from RM
    * if you wore a shield or even tower shield without any major penalties
    (but maybe this sacrifices too much runearm DPS, but personally i am too clumsy to use rune arm effectively on this kind of build)
    (you can actually also waste some of the free feats to pick up SWF and turn on EDF occasionally, and experiment what works how)
    All of this is valid and I think a matter of personal preference. I'll say why I err the way I do, but I think very reasonably you could go with all of your suggestions - I've already tried all of these save the shield one, which would change the focus from dps too much for my taste.
    - Dragonborn is better boss dps via the higher Maximum Caster Level (34 total), and if you're running with a Mass Holder it's redundant. Just depends on the content and group you're running with I think.
    - Burst of Glacial Wrath is nice, but the dps hit from Lightning Bolt isn't worth it. I'd sub Intensify spell out before a *Master feat.
    - I am a much bigger fan of the rune arm than you I think. If you haven't, try St. Murray's Fire. For clarity, what I get out of BE is Int, spellpower from cores, 'stable charge tier is increased to 3' from the 4th core (huge as you can move around more often, and kite damage goes up a lot), and '33% faster charge rate' from Tier 1. I'd estimate rune arm damage is 40-50% of total dps - you get 4 blasts and each can do >10k on the 50%-of-the-time crits with motes (without Scion of Fire which I need to sub in!).
    - I think you are right about SWF and EDF being an option. I hate EDF's negatives enormously so it's not for me.
    Last edited by Deathdefy; 01-04-2019 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Wrote 'Scion' not 'Master' in point two
    In Von 3 the breakables in the Troll Ambassador optional room are slow to get to and unnecessary for ransack.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deathdefy View Post
    snip
    Good answer.

I should revisit the rune arms I guess (and consider the 4 ap in BE). Though I guess the CC/healer role grew on me, using minions for most DPS instead.

Community Member

I've played around with a CC/spell casting build before. Based off of Electric Critzilla and all the dozens of versions of it. It just feels like adding in the ranged feats seems like it's diluting the build a little. Here's a quick feat list that I made up that seems a little more focused. Granted I did add in Dire Charge, but that could be other feats. Seems the DCs of Tact Det would be higher and not sacrifice spell damage. The ranged can be pulled out for the moments when you need to phew phew. Honestly, if you roll with Volley and either Quarantine or Machinations if quite a bit of extra damage on top of your CC and spell damage.

Plus I think if you're looking at CC, a nice Dire Charge would work as well....Pretty easy to slap in a nice Stunning item.

1 : Maximize Spell
    3 : Quicken Spell
    4 Arti : Construct Essence
    6 : Spell Focus: Evocation
    8 Arti : Empower Spell
    9 : Greater Spell Focus: Evocation
    12 : Past Life: Wizard
    12 Arti : Improved Construct Essence
    15 : Insightful Reflexes
    16 Arti : Enlarge Spell
    18 : Completionist
    20 Arti : Heighten Spell
    21 Epic : Epic Spell Focus: Evocation
    24 Epic : Master of: Artifice
    26 Destiny: Epic Spell Power: Electricity
    27 Epic : Master of: Air
    28 Destiny: Elusive Target
    29 Destiny: Dire Charge
    30 Epic : Embolden Spell
    30 Legend : Scion of: Plane of Fire

Quote Originally Posted by SimCat View Post
    I've played around with a CC/spell casting build before. Based off of Electric Critzilla and all the dozens of versions of it. It just feels like adding in the ranged feats seems like it's diluting the build a little. Here's a quick feat list that I made up that seems a little more focused. Granted I did add in Dire Charge, but that could be other feats. Seems the DCs of Tact Det would be higher and not sacrifice spell damage. The ranged can be pulled out for the moments when you need to phew phew. Honestly, if you roll with Volley and either Quarantine or Machinations if quite a bit of extra damage on top of your CC and spell damage.

Plus I think if you're looking at CC, a nice Dire Charge would work as well....Pretty easy to slap in a nice Stunning item.

I wouldn't trade the IPS line for the heroic construct essence feats + enlarge.

Dire Charge is a good idea! I was going to go Deific Warding but Dire Charge is smarter.

I am swapping out Doubleshot for Mass Frog on my own build. People seem to make the DC work on all sorts of non-wis builds.

I wouldn't do Embolden over Intensify unless you know you're experiencing DC issues.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deathdefy View Post
    I wouldn't trade the IPS line for the heroic construct essence feats + enlarge.

Dire Charge is a good idea! I was going to go Deific Warding but Dire Charge is smarter.

I am swapping out Doubleshot for Mass Frog on my own build. People seem to make the DC work on all sorts of non-wis builds.

I wouldn't do Embolden over Intensify unless you know you're experiencing DC issues.
    I buy the Intensify over Embolden unless you're having DC issues. I can get behind that.

Curious, how much more damage does that IPS line lend to the character? What's the healing like on your build then?

This probably falls into the “Season to taste” category, but this build will also work well with quite a few races:
    - Gnome: More raw INT, Color Spray, more potential dodge.
    - Warforged: More PRR, easy to gear.
    - Deep Gnome: As Gnome with +20 spellcraft.

For Twists, I prefer fitting in Empyrean Magic and Interrogation. It's pretty easy to keep up EM if you're in the habit of tossing quickened Tactical Dets and Prismatic Strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by SimCat View Post

I tend to do the low hanging ranged fruit (Precise Shot) from levels 1-3 and focus on Harper Agent. Level 4 is either Construct Essence or Adamantine Body. Then at levels 6-9 I pick up the Max/Emp/Quicken and respec into Arcanotech at level 9. By then you can have INT to hit from Harper, and Blast Rod.
    Things worthy of Standing Stone going EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on.:
    • NEW - Setting Unarmed Strike back to what it was and attacking the real problem: Reinforced Fists items.
    • Fix the flipping non-proficiency penalties for Bear and Wolf wildshapes!
    • Redoing the drop rates of tomes in generic and raid loot tables.
    • Keep Lynnabel on task with updating the remaining legacy named loot to not suck.
    • Tiering the Runearms so that artificers aren’t screwed out of the advantages of Cannith Crafting in Epic levels on their signature item.
    • Finishing the enhancement tree passes (including racial PrE’s) before rolling out yet another DDOStore™ Enhancement Tree.

Community Member

Default Not worth

Hi. I'm trying build this one but.... O don't think will do damage enough tô compare with sorcerer.... I'm with 750 spell power, I know Ita low but even though.... I'm hitting 1k with Blast Rod and my friend sorcerer with 1300 spell power hit 80k. The diference of base damage of a art's spell from a sorc's spell lvl 9 Ita tô big. Blast Rod hit only 41-80 base. Ita tô low comparing with sorcerer... And... If you want to play a caster dps... Why not taking the one with way more damage? I"m just saying this cuz i got a little sad with my friend's damage.... Ita possible a art caster hit 50-70k on reaper 10? How?!?!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by tandyfw View Post
    Hi. I'm trying build this one but.... O don't think will do damage enough tô compare with sorcerer.... I'm with 750 spell power, I know Ita low but even though.... I'm hitting 1k with Blast Rod and my friend sorcerer with 1300 spell power hit 80k. The diference of base damage of a art's spell from a sorc's spell lvl 9 Ita tô big. Blast Rod hit only 41-80 base. Ita tô low comparing with sorcerer... And... If you want to play a caster dps... Why not taking the one with way more damage? I"m just saying this cuz i got a little sad with my friend's damage.... Ita possible a art caster hit 50-70k on reaper 10? How?!?!
    No, this build cannot compete with sorcerer these days. Few can. Of course, this build was created before sorcerer spell pass. It's still decent in heroics, but definitely fades in late heroics and later.