Default Masterful Craftsmanship question

Could someone explain MC to me? I'm not getting the in-game explanation. Thanks.

Masterful Craftsmanship is currently* found only on droploot, randomly generated. It's designated by a bright teal/aqua border around the image.

(* Used to also be an option in old Cannith Crafting system - no longer.)

In CC it made the item significantly better than normal - skills were boosted, damage, fort, whatever. However, in current droploot, it only means that the item ~could~ be better. It's still a bellcurve, just that the bellcurve is shifted in your favor.

So, for example - in a typical Harbor 2 quest, you're getting ML 5 gear. If that's a skill item, it will range from maybe +3 (very low) to +7 (the max), but most of the time they're in the +4-6 range. With MC, you might get that range to shift to +5-+8! Nice potential, but no guarantee - and if you're at the bottom of that bell curve (ML 5 skill +5), it's still trash. However, at the top, you can essentially get "one free ML" of value on top of that item.

I have a ML 3 MC Hat of Haggle 6 (where normally "5" would be the max) - keep it on a Lvl 3 opener. Meh, it's a thing.

And MC does nothing for the exact mix of effects - a +Devotion Falchion of Tendon Slice is still exact that, even if those values are "better than normal".

(And I'm not 100% sure, but I ~think~ some better artwork gets attached to some of the MC armor. I don't find them as routinely hit and miss - altho' that may be wishful thinking.)
    Last edited by C-Dog; 01-01-2019 at 10:42 AM.

So, for example, I have a fortified cursed gloves of dodge 5%. ML 17, fort 105%, dodge 5%, Wis -1, masterful craftsmanship. So are you saying that without the MC, it might be a ML 18 item? Or rather, that without the MC, the fort and dodge might be lower?

Quote Originally Posted by ElrondElfKing View Post
    So, for example, I have a fortified cursed gloves of dodge 5%. ML 17, fort 105%, dodge 5%, Wis -1, masterful craftsmanship...
    Heh, cursed - that's an old item.

without the MC, the fort and dodge might be lower?
    This.

And not "might be" - all other rolls the same, def would be.

MC boosts the values. Without MC, lower values.

(Typical ML 17 fort would be in the neighborhood of 100 max. So you not only got the roll for MC, but the roll for the quality of that MC was very high as well. Nice.

Otoh (and to further demonstrate how it works), a ML 17 Dodge item is typically maxed in the high single digits (7-9%?) - that roll was evidently very low, so MC only boosted it to 5%, or "does not completely suck".)
    Last edited by C-Dog; 01-01-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Community Member

Sorry for jumping on an old thread but didn't want to start a new one about the same thing. What about MC Armor, it says +1 total enhancement value, ok, I'm a noob (though I've played off an on for years) and thought maybe it meant adding to the +3 of the armor, the one I was considering (until reading this) was +3 MC heavy armor with
    +56 Nullification and +3 Good Guard, the nullification doesn't mean much to me, just the added armor and extra damage, so the MC doesn't really mean anything here?

Read my first post, above.

The values are the values, and have been randomly generated. MC just means that those random values use a bellcurve that is slightly better than the usual bellcurve, and so ~might~ result in something slightly better than normally possible ~if~ you get lucky and those values are maxed.

(And afaic, necro'ing an old thread is fine if it's OT. And your Q is.)