Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Fire Sorc is amazing at this time

How are the other elements holding up? I'm seeing a few meteor chuckers making their way through low-R heroics and epics. They're fine up until about R5 at cap in my opinion, fully optimized maybe R7?

How are others faring with the other elements?

2016 DDO Players Council
    Resident Blue Dragon
    Hero of the Flame

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom2112 View Post
    How are the other elements holding up? I'm seeing a few meteor chuckers making their way through low-R heroics and epics. They're fine up until about R5 at cap in my opinion, fully optimized maybe R7?

How are others faring with the other elements?
    I tested Earth Savant on Lamannia and it was significantly better than it was. However, only Acid Blast and Acid Spray were improved with U41. Acid Well is great, but there's still a limited number of Acid spells that can be used for nuking.

On the live servers, I have an Air Savant. He's been in epic levels since U41 and I tend to only run Reaper in heroics so I can't say how it handles at that difficulty. He is quite a bit better than he was before though. Lightning Bolt was great before but now it's even more awesome. Thunderstroke is also pretty sweet and I like it a lot for taking out single targets. I don't use any metamagics on it and it's still great.

I've been interested in making a Fire Savant, but I love the synergy between my Air Savant and the Greater Dragonmark of Storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Wise fwom ur gwave.

Community Member

How are the other elements holding up?
    Meteor takes all, but I think one should be an acid savant primary with fire secondary for casting it, since it is both an earth and fire spell, for synergy with acid well. Red dragonborn/red dragon draconic adds to it though, not green, since green boosts acid, not earth.

Maybe try break 99 spell pen too at the same time and see what happens.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 12-27-2018 at 03:53 PM.

Do you mix in non-nuking spells on your sorc still? Hold in particular.

It seems to me that adding new spells may have made picking spells harder for a sorc now - so I am curious which spells you have in your lineup.
    Danskerne
    Et dansktalende guild på Ghallanda. Send PM, hvis du er interesseret.

you still take other spells, the only spells that were added were at lvl 1 and 9 still plenty of slots to pick up a few buffs, and cc spells
    Tri-Heroic, Tri-Iconic, Tri- Epic Completionist
    ~Cannith~
    "I Will Never be a Memory"

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    Do you mix in non-nuking spells on your sorc still? Hold in particular.

It seems to me that adding new spells may have made picking spells harder for a sorc now - so I am curious which spells you have in your lineup.
    yeah, still take finger, wail, masshold, and dance ball

Community Member

yeah, still take finger, wail, masshold, and dance ball
    I tested casting the highest level dps spells available, and was limited by mana to clear on R1-2 from levels 7-11, and R2-3 from 12-18. To do higher, you have to use charms and instant kills.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 12-28-2018 at 12:45 AM.

Yeah I am playing a sorc right now, low levels and was grouped with tow others last night. We rolled thru low reapers.

I am trying to work out what spells to use, I went for a long ranged non meta'd spell (frost lance (although this is no good in synergy but it does not share a cool down with the bolts). then use SLAs burning hands and acid spray. So acid and fire savant. I am still working out what would be best so using my stored dragons blood to change spells. Unfortunately I am dragon born (blue) which I cannot change.

I will take a while to play with this.

Got web at lvl 4 but not really needed is so far.
    G-land
    Main characters, Tymout, Tymkul, Tymbom, Tymantha etc...

The Eternal Rapscallion Haphazarduk's Avatar

Which spells in particular show the most improvement/promise in mid heroics in low reaper? I'm thinking of a couple more sorc lives. I always liked lightning bolts (I like bolts in general) but am tempted by the better aoe capability of fire.

Hap

(In agreement with the build I posted recently, and am now TR'd into for some racial pastlives).

I believe the ideal savants are something like this (considering only spells, not content):

Level 1-3: Earth Savant (Reasoning: Almost the same as fire, but less stuff is acid resistant)
    Level 4-5: Fire Savant (Reasoning: Scorch is really really good at these levels)
    Level 6-9: Earth Savant (Reasoning: Acid blast doesn't destroy web, fireball does)
    Level 10-17: Air Savant (Reasoning: Chain Lightning and Ball Lightning is a devastating combo; and wind dance is great)
    Level 18-19: Earth Savant (Reasoning: Acid well sounds better then the single target spells in most content)
    Level 20-28: Fire Savant (Reasoning: Empyrean Magic)
    Level 29-30: Water Savant (Reasoning: Best single target dps spells, which is what matters in higher reaper/endgame)

Of course; as you get up to higher levels it becomes harder to switch between savants; so take that as you will. For my purposes I'm currently running most heroic sorcs as air savants and epic sorcs as fire savants.
    Selvera: Deep Gnome Wiz 20/Epic 5; PK build
    Jen: Half Elf Fvs 20/Epic 10; Healer Archer with a more supportive build then usual
    Mayve: Tiefling Sorc 11; Just a pastlife for an alt

Quote Originally Posted by Selvera View Post
    (In agreement with the build I posted recently, and am now TR'd into for some racial pastlives).

I believe the ideal savants are something like this (considering only spells, not content):

Level 1-3: Earth Savant (Reasoning: Almost the same as fire, but less stuff is acid resistant)
    Level 4-5: Fire Savant (Reasoning: Scorch is really really good at these levels)
    Level 6-9: Earth Savant (Reasoning: Acid blast doesn't destroy web, fireball does)
    Level 10-17: Air Savant (Reasoning: Chain Lightning and Ball Lightning is a devastating combo; and wind dance is great)
    Level 18-19: Earth Savant (Reasoning: Acid well sounds better then the single target spells in most content)
    Level 29-30: Water Savant (Reasoning: Best single target dps spells, which is what matters in higher reaper/endgame)

Of course; as you get up to higher levels it becomes harder to switch between savants; so take that as you will. For my purposes I'm currently running most heroic sorcs as air savants and epic sorcs as fire savants.
    Great this is pretty much what I am discovering, a list of spells would be good at this level. I am working on it, the cool downs on bolts have an effect on rotations.

At level 4 I have
    burning hands, charm person, flaming bolt, cold ray (yeah losing spell power from fire savant) SLA's acid spray and burning hands.
    So rotation is niacs ray-flaming bolt-(web if needed)-acid spray(sla)-burning hands(sla)-burning hands (all non sla's without meta's)
    Charm and web is situational

I don't think its perfect so I am listening ...Maybe I need switch out niac but I think the cool down was a problem with the bolts so removed the electric bolt.
    G-land
    Main characters, Tymout, Tymkul, Tymbom, Tymantha etc...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazarduk View Post
    Which spells in particular show the most improvement/promise in mid heroics in low reaper?

Hap
    A death domain dark emissary necro cleric shows the most improvement. It gets the improved necrotic ray spell which does 1d6+12 + 10% max hp due to neg level damage as an SLA at level 5 which has free max/empower and no caster level cap, and also gets spell version at level 12. Wiz/Sorcs can't get it until level 11-12, and only get spell version. It also gets the improved negative energy burst spell which does 1d6+4 at level 6 as an SLA, which has free max/empower/quicken. Wiz/Sorcs can't get it until level 7-8, and only get spell version. Plus the cleric can toss a soundburst first to add 55% damage on top, and has a fair enhancement tree for supporting negative energy damage.

So cleric gets the improved mid-heroic sorc/wiz spells ... at level 5-6 as SLAs with free metas with 55% bonus damage on top from soundburst.

Necrotic ray on a soundburst stunned target does 24 damage per caster level + 10% max hp, for 8-10 mana , which is the damage of the level 9 spells, at 1/4th the mana cost, at level 5 for SLA and 12 for spell. Since the SLA also has free metas... it hits harder than the level 9 single target spells. It also has half the level 9 spell cooldown.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 12-29-2018 at 07:11 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazarduk View Post
    Which spells in particular show the most improvement/promise in mid heroics in low reaper? I'm thinking of a couple more sorc lives. I always liked lightning bolts (I like bolts in general) but am tempted by the better aoe capability of fire.

Hap
    Chain lightning / Ball Lightning with a backup of Cone of Cold / Otiluke's Freezing Sphere was very effective on both my sorc and wizard. My sorc was more pure caster, my wizard was EK but maxed glaciation and magnetism spellpowers. The combination of having good AoE to soften up groups, and then being able to chop them down in melee with spellsword damage worked well and was very efficient. Not having to waste spellpoints on the 1 mob that evaded and two mobs that made their saves out of a pack of 8 really helps with the mana usage, as does knowing that if a trash pack has no champs, you always have the option to just use your two EK cleaves and use only ~15 spellpoints total.

Caveat, the Doomsphere in Orchard is immune to both electric and cold. I had to switch to acid spellsword damage and just beat him down. Thankfully undead form makes you immune to his Con drain.

Barbarbarian

From my experience Meteor Swarm > Acid Well

Half the cooldown and like 60% of the damage. Longer range. Bigger AOE. Properly geared it is still enough damage to one-shot r1 Epics---even on a wizard. Acid well is great though.
    You can run level cap quests for epic xp, but you can't run non-level cap quests for RXP when you're capped.
    r10 @ 30 stuff, sorc, monk,Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-u-r-eye View Post
    From my experience Meteor Swarm > Acid Well

Half the cooldown and like 60% of the damage. Longer range. Bigger AOE. Properly geared it is still enough damage to one-shot r1 Epics---even on a wizard. Acid well is great though.
    Fair point; I haven't used acid well yet but I have used meteor swarm, and it has some problems. Damage is split between 2 different spellpowers, long casting time that can't be quickened (well it can; but you lose 50% of the damage if you do). Fire damage is often resisted and many mobs are immune. Also being able to do 1 big shot instead of 4 little ones works better with Savant's elemental form's immunity bypass. That said, Meteor swarm is still a great spell and does good damage at long range, and blunt damage is very rarely resisted/immuned by mobs.

Acid well: 21.5 average damage per caster level, scaling with acid caster level. (Max caster level 20)
    (Guesswork here: 1 second casting time, can be quickened. 9 seconds cooldown)

Meteor Swarm: 22 average damage per caster level (over 4 hits), 55% scaling with fire spell power and 45% scaling with force spell power. (Max caster level 30?)
    (Guesswork here: 2 second casting time, can't be quickened. 3.5 second cooldown) - yeah, when I was using it; casting it felt like the casting time was half of the cooldown.

But... I see a note in the wiki that Meteor swarm is effected by both earth and fire savants. Does that mean an earth/fire spec adds both caster level bonuses to the spell, or that each half of the spell is boosted by it's own element's caster levels? I should test, but that's a fairly significant chunk of damage change.
    Selvera: Deep Gnome Wiz 20/Epic 5; PK build
    Jen: Half Elf Fvs 20/Epic 10; Healer Archer with a more supportive build then usual
    Mayve: Tiefling Sorc 11; Just a pastlife for an alt

But... I see a note in the wiki that Meteor swarm is effected by both earth and fire savants. Does that mean an earth/fire spec adds both caster level bonuses to the spell, or that each half of the spell is boosted by it's own element's caster levels? I should test, but that's a fairly significant chunk of damage change.

They do stack from the Savant enhancements. Currently I am leveling a Fire/Earth Savant and meteor swarm is casting at 5 levels higher than either my Fire or Earth spells. Potentially a Fire and Earth Savant can cast meteor swarm at CL38 (20 Levels + 3 Magister +5 Fire savant + 5 earth Savant + 3 Red Draconic Heritage +2 Black Draconic Heritage) not sure if destiny levels, arcane augmentation items and bard spell songs would add to that as they do not increase maximum CL. But if Meteor swarm is uncapped and is only limited by CL the then potential is increased to CL46.

The doj gloves arcane augmentation say they add 2 caster levels and 2 mcls but ain't used or tested them in a long time
    Damonz Cannith

If I'm reading forums, i'm usually on the train.

Quote Originally Posted by zyirius View Post
    They do stack from the Savant enhancements. Currently I am leveling a Fire/Earth Savant and meteor swarm is casting at 5 levels higher than either my Fire or Earth spells. Potentially a Fire and Earth Savant can cast meteor swarm at CL38 (20 Levels + 3 Magister +5 Fire savant + 5 earth Savant + 3 Red Draconic Heritage +2 Black Draconic Heritage) not sure if destiny levels, arcane augmentation items and bard spell songs would add to that as they do not increase maximum CL. But if Meteor swarm is uncapped and is only limited by CL the then potential is increased to CL46.
    Wait, so does that mean having air and fire savants results in increased fire caster level but decreased again because of the air penalty to earth?
    Took me several years to get around to registering for the forum... Don't believe the join date. I am not a new noob. I am an old noob and long time lurker.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by zyirius View Post
    Earth, not acid. Black dragon shouldn't do anything. The base spell has a max CL of 25 I believe.

before the "last pass" (when are casters getting the proper pass? looks like SSG will jump to paladin to start the route again XD) there were mainly 3 sorcs:

- cc, long before reaper, due to cooldown, since reaper... well, charmers mostly, cause nobody wants otto nor stuff like paralyzing, both don't give extra helpless damage

- shiradi spammers, dunno why there isn't yet a "1 spell, 1 chance to proc spell, no 5 missiles = 5 chances to proc" like they did to mobs because it wasn't fair being pummeled by them

- nukers, they always always always used the hold (for extra helpless juiciness damage) + burst or whatever u want, but not making helpless was really bad... at least til the day where sorcs went to far past 5k sp lol, in which case... hold + nuke would be even better? XD
    psykopeta is finally baconpletionist because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS: I post only in the latest thread shown in main page, in the weird case u want something from me, feel free to send pm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast