Default Low Epic THF Weapons for Epic Reincarnation Train

My dwarf barbarian has begun the epic reincarnation train, and I'm looking for decent low epic weapons to use while grinding this out. I have the Frenzied Berzerker tier 5, and have IC: Slashing. I'm currently using a ML18 Vorpal greataxe. What might be my best choices for a ML20-24 main weapon and situational weapons?

For bludgeon, I have access to Epic Fury of the Flame and the Mizzen-Mast.

For a main weapon, I'm looking to farm up a Drow Weaponsmith greataxe or falchion. I do still have a Raider's Reward Box, but want to save it for comms when I need them - I'm working towards flagging for CitW to hunt for the weapons that come out of the box. Are the Cormyrian melee weapons any good, and should I try to grab one of those? I have the mats to grab a ML20/24 Cormyrian for an immediate main weapon upgrade, if those aren't too outdated.
    "Swords will cut you wide open!" - Trip Fisk

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcimerist View Post
    My dwarf barbarian has begun the epic reincarnation train, and I'm looking for decent low epic weapons to use while grinding this out. I have the Frenzied Berzerker tier 5, and have IC: Slashing. I'm currently using a ML18 Vorpal greataxe. What might be my best choices for a ML20-24 main weapon and situational weapons?

For bludgeon, I have access to Epic Fury of the Flame and the Mizzen-Mast.

For a main weapon, I'm looking to farm up a Drow Weaponsmith greataxe or falchion. I do still have a Raider's Reward Box, but want to save it for comms when I need them - I'm working towards flagging for CitW to hunt for the weapons that come out of the box. Are the Cormyrian melee weapons any good, and should I try to grab one of those? I have the mats to grab a ML20/24 Cormyrian for an immediate main weapon upgrade, if those aren't too outdated.
    If you can farm one up, one of your best bets would be the ESoS but that is no easy task. Bang for the acquisition buck would be a Thunderforged Weapon at ML22/24/26 if you do not have a better choice, the problem is TF does not take sentience.

Ideally you would want to find something in the low 20's that also accepts sentience, I use an Epic Silver Slinger all the way till 29 because I have it slotted with 7 Filigrees. If you have access to a 60k sentience exp gem then pretty much any low 20's THF weapon that accepts sentience will be better than Thunderforge. In a pinch the heroic Tail of the Scorpion my not be a terrible option for low 20's either.

Short of any other options you could also just cannith craft something with a Red slot to get you by until you farm something better.
    Last edited by Swimms; 12-27-2018 at 03:05 PM.

5 comms seems like the worst choice for a reward I would take a weapon from the box and just run a few FoTs for comms.
    Robopit-16 Arti, 2 Paladin, 2 Rogue
    Moltenrock-12 FvS, 2 Paladin, 6 Wizard, 8 Epic
    Caizel-20 Bard, 8 Epic
    Doresain-Depends so don't List
    Alignment Test Shows me as Neutral Evil (True Evil) HA!
    Officer of Lava Divers

The weapon matters less than its ability to host sentience & have some xp/rare filigree on it. The drow ones with an improved crit profile and low-epic min level are solid choices. Expanded crit ranges 'grow' with character level and buff gear (seeker, melee power etc) whereas the estar comm stuff is not good (maybe the ML 24 stuff with lifestealing for trash).

Epic Antique Greataxe could be farmed up too as a DR breaker https://m.ddowiki.com/page/Item:Epic_Antique_Greataxe
    Last edited by Saekee; 12-27-2018 at 04:16 PM.
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight Templar of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist); Parked Toons: Katwoemyn (10), Saelegion (4), Alitirala (4), Naerfelka (21)

Thanks for the input! I'll be hunting for the weapons mentioned above, and will see what my level 385 crafter might be able to put together.

Quick question about Thunderforged weapons - If I grab one to use in the meantime, which of the upgrades tend to be best for a THF barbarian?

Thanks for the input! I'll be hunting for the weapons mentioned above, and will see what my level 385 crafter might be able to put together.

Quick question about Thunderforged weapons - If I grab one to use in the meantime, which of the upgrades tend to be best for a THF barbarian?
    Fire damage t-1 and dragons edge t-2 work well.
    A good lvl 21 staff is Bludgeoning Bankroll from the white plume pack's Another Man's Treasure. The dc 70 petrifying into shiny metal lands often and it accepts sentience. But like Saekee said drow weapon master great sword, great axe and q staffs are good dps sentient capable weapons. Thunder forged is a good dr breaker.
    Percivaul Dusol, BadRandall and Shortpact--The Silver Legion

Antique Greataxe is da bomb, particularly if you have an arti around to give you Deadly.

Drow Greataxe of the Weapon Master is a good one.

For the most part named (non-crafted) weapons between levels 20 and 24 are pretty slim pickins. You've got a smattering of old S/S/S weapons, CITW weapons, Drow X of the Weapon Master, the Transmuted Platinum weapons out of Another Man's Treasure (the only 2-hander is a quarterstaff), and the weapons you can get out of challenges (Cannith and Eveningstar, plus Crystal Cove, Anniversary, Night Revels).

For any build; if I don't already have a better option (such as the ESoS for THF), I'll just make a T0 thunderforge at level 22; and it can pretty much last you until you're ready to use your endgame weapon, mostly epic levels don't seem to get much harder until you're looking at doing endgame stuff anyways. T0 is easy to make; and when you're done with it you can feed it to your sentient for some nice xp.

For those who really want to invest; the S/S/S weapons, Drow weapons and CitW weapons seem to be the best choices for epic reincarnation; as they're usually as good (or better) then T0 thunerforge and can take sentience ontop.

By level 20+; random loot and vorpal weapons seem to fall behind the curve quite a bit; so I would avoid any looted or crafted weapons except possibly vorpals in high reaper.

Edit: As a note; I am not a fan of Estar challange weapons (except throwers) and I don't recall seeing any cannoth challange, crystal cove, night revels or anniversary weapons that I would jump at getting/using at level 20 except maybe the cutthroat's smallblade (which isn't THF).
    Last edited by Selvera; 12-30-2018 at 03:42 AM.
    Selvera: Asimar Fighter 17; swf wisdom kensai
    Jen: Half Elf Fvs 20/Epic 10; Healer Archer with a more supportive build then usual
    Mayve: Tiefling Sorc 16; Just a pastlife for an alt

Thanks! +1s to all!

Looks like I'll be buying Thunderholme at 30% off!

I've been busy farming VoN to try for ESoS, and will start running Phiarlan Carnival and House of Rusted Blades to see how I do. If I use my Raiders Reward Box to instantly grab a CitW weapon, do I take the greataxe or the falchion?

P.S. - Thanks for the note about Estar challenge throwers! I have a dagger-using rogue in epics who could use a good situational ranged weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Selvera View Post

Edit: As a note; I am not a fan of Estar challange weapons (except throwers) and I don't recall seeing any cannoth challange, crystal cove, night revels or anniversary weapons that I would jump at getting/using at level 20 except maybe the cutthroat's smallblade (which isn't THF).
    Elemental Greataxe of Fire.

It's not the best, but it's not bad, and unlike, say, the Antique Greataxe, it's a "guaranteed drop" type of item because you don't have to pull from chests. You just grind the ingredients and buy the silly thing.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    Elemental Greataxe of Fire.

It's not the best, but it's not bad, and unlike, say, the Antique Greataxe, it's a "guaranteed drop" type of item because you don't have to pull from chests. You just grind the ingredients and buy the silly thing.
    Thanks for pointing that one out! It looks quite nice.

The other day I ran Big Top and pulled the Antique Greataxe shard. I'm missing the seal and scroll, though.

Thanks for pointing that one out! It looks quite nice.

The other day I ran Big Top and pulled the Antique Greataxe shard. I'm missing the seal and scroll, though.
    Scroll isn't too difficult to get. Make sure to check the AH

Seal is actually one of the easier things to acquire (or I have gotten extremely lucky). Snitch can be ran very quickly (@30, which is what I did). I actually wish the seal I needed dropped in Snitch and not Small Problem (tbh).

Good Luck. I highly recommend you acquire it if you are doing multiple ER's
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

If I use my Raiders Reward Box to instantly grab a CitW weapon, do I take the greataxe or the falchion?
    Currently the way the game is going thanks to developer implementation, Falchion works much better on most builds compared to Greataxe. Honestly I would save it for your final/near final build. Try to form a group and do CitW raids.

Imo, I would recommend EH simply because it doesn't require the participants to know the raid. I've participated in some LE raids that still wipe because of the SP draining mechanic. Not to mention the end fight and DA for those who wonder/kite in the wrong direction. The side effect of this decision is that you may need to run the raid more often before you get all of the shiny weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

Community Member

Just farm hard for Drow Greataxe or Falchion (not sure there is a Falchion though). Get Tail of the Scorpion for 29+

Falchions are great in the hands of a Frenezied Berserker.

Sure esos is amazing but it's absurdly rare. Still farm thiugh, but Drow weapos.and Tail are much easier to acquire.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Selvera View Post

Edit: As a note; I am not a fan of Estar challange weapons (except throwers)
    Dunno if you will see this Selvera as your post was a while back (and I was taking a break from the game for a while), but were you talking about throwing weapons in general or other than shuri's?

Cause, I ran a Scourge thrower life about 4? months back and farmed and tested 30+ Estar challenge shuri's (evenly split between 20 and 24) in nearly every variety and came to one conclusion: they suck. There is simply no other way to put it. When put up against Snowstar, they fall so short in dps and cc I can't see using them at all really. Heck it took until 28 (dawnbringer) to get to a shuriken that was at least a very slight improvement but even then it crit so much less that the tiny bit of extra dps didn't outwiegh snowstar's increased cc. ((by cc I mean the effect on crit of crippling from Shimmering arrowhead trinket, which stacks with TS, and stay frosty as well as fire stance blind from pinnacle, the combined effects are hilarious as all get-out. They end up running almost in place.))