Community Member

Default Brand new to ddo

I have some D&D game experience. Recently find this game, pretty much want a warforge artificer build if possible. Currentlu building on crossbow range build

Thanks a lot and merry Christmas

Community Manager

Welcome and thanks for being here!
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteSinX View Post
    Recently find this game, pretty much want a warforge artificer build if possible.
    An oldie but goodie: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...used-artificer

Welcome to DDO and a Happy Christmas to you too.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Community Member

Welcome! This is a fantastic game and you will find the community here very helpful. You can find some good arti build ideas here: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Tinkers-amp-Up!

Things to note:

1) CON is not a dump stat.

2) Make sure you have your loot settings to be by class. You will start getting lots of repeater xbow drops and once you find a vorpal treasure it - vorpal is massive on repeaters.

3) DDO is not D&D. There is a lot of similarity, of course, especially with the flavor and basic concepts but there are some differences that you will have to accept. The mechanics of tabletop just don't always work in an MMORPG. You will likely notice them but just keep asking questions and roll with it.

4) Keep asking questions and don't automatically accept authoritative answers. If you want to tweak one of the builds you try feel free - there are very few "must follow" rules, but they do usually have some logic behind them. (Example: If you are splashing rogue always take it at level 1. The reason has nothing to do with how the class plays but is the 4x skill points you get at that level.) If it doesn't work out you can always Lesser Reincarnate or True Reincarnate to address it.

5) Have fun!
    ~ Alco Holic ~ Grlfriendaggro Pizzenmeoff ~ Rincewind the Damp ~ Sunbernt Junk ~ Ouchmy Leghurtz ~
    ~ Bobthesponge Squarethepants ~ Whaleoil Beef Hooked~
    ~Ascent~

Quote Originally Posted by AlcoArgo View Post
    3) DDO is not D&D...
    This.

Or, rather, it's a brand new edition of D&D that you've never seen. (ESPECIALLY when it comes to character design!) So expect that some pen-and-paper favorites may not translate well. But there will be some new mixes that can give you the same thing in an unexpected way.

5) Have fun!
    And this.

There is no one "right" way to play the game, except for you. Find fun where you find it, not where others may imply you should.

GL!

Community Member

pretty much want a warforge artificer build if possible. Currentlu building on crossbow range build
    Congratulations. This is the correct answer

Just be aware that you're going to experience a sudden blast of suckiness if you try playing other builds...symptoms include saying "I wish I could trap on this char" or "I wish I could self heal on this char" or "I wish I could shoot things instead of having to melee"

I'd recommend playing through your first life as a pure Arti, which means using both your xbow and your spells (especially the Spell-Like Abilities from Arcanotech enhancements). It'll give you a chance to build up gear for future lives where you give up spellcasting for more xbow power through multi-classing. Gearing for Lightning spellpower is a little easier your first time through than gearing for pure xbow. And while your dog will become less useful in later lives (it doesnt scale well in higher-tier content), it will be really useful for you the first time through things on Normal difficulty.
    Last edited by droid327; 12-25-2018 at 04:23 PM.

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Default Old but gold

Quote Originally Posted by AlcoArgo View Post

1) CON is not a dump stat.
    I know Constitution isn't a dump stat - that's why I didn't dump any points in to it. Why are you yelling?
    That's not lag, it's just DDO trying to become turn-based again.

Feature wishlist: colour-coded HP bars; red/blue teams in raids; rez-timer in party menu; equip-able halflings

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeoLionxxx View Post
    I know Constitution isn't a dump stat - that's why I didn't dump any points in to it. Why are you yelling?
    My first toon, a mechanic path rogue, I put no points into CON. A 28 point build doesn't have a lot of ability points to play with and I maximized int, Wis, and as much Dex as I could get. Time passes, level 20: 201 hp (218 with ship buffs). When I TRed a week after hitting cap the guild healers all cheered. Don't be Stanli.
    The blinking Drooam "backpack" is NOT a party buff. But its fun to say it is.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoLionxxx View Post
    Maybe because what you are describing is unaffectionately called a "mana sponge" (among other more colorful terms). Healers' spellpoints are constantly sucked up by such a character as they can't stay alive. Not in the running for Miss Congeniality.

Squirrel Enthusiast Lokeal_The_Flame's Avatar

I have some D&D game experience. Recently find this game, pretty much want a warforge artificer build if possible. Currentlu building on crossbow range build

I highly advise you to pick a server with a decent population to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lokeal_The_Flame View Post
    I highly advise you to pick a server with a decent population to it!
    Yeah, some servers have a lot more people than others
    Social Justice W...arlock (5e toon)
    OkarisRage, Artificer with 3 druid past lives = <3

Community Member

Look at the class, look at the race, look at the wiki, and pick/combine things that you find interesting. There’s plenty of time to learn. Follow someone else’s build and you’ll end up feeling like you’re playing someone else’s character. Also, people are uncreative idiots, and their opinions of what’s “meta” is constantly swayed by uninformed forum posts. Just explore and personalize as you see fit. The breadth of customization/personalization is one of the best aspects of this game. Asking someone to tell you what to do is taking away 99% of your fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Evean View Post
    Asking someone to tell you what to do is taking away 99% of your fun.
    The irony drips.