Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Auction House Prices Purposely Pushed Up

I mentioned to questing buddy last week that I was posting 10 orbs & 10 filigrees at a time in AH at low prices, so newer players w/o a lot of plat, or players who don't own WPM or RL , would have a chance to have em too. Same thing w/ lower lvl unnamed gear that was still pretty good on stats, & unbound gear from places like RL (which some ppl dont own, so they can't quest for those items themselves).

Anywhere from 150 - 600 for any of them, just to cover fees.

I'd get mail showing someone had bought all at same time.

After 4th time, I checked out AH, & found all items back up for sale, priced anywhere from 6000-25,000 each.

Buddy said someone was bragging in general chat cpl weeks before, saying he was racking up plat off a player dumb enough to post items too low (which I probably am; dumb for doing it, I mean). My buddy said he & others told guy it was in bad taste, was pushing up prices, & was causing newer players to not be able to afford gear they can use. Guy's reply was "So what, everybody does it".

My friend also said his guild had been passing the word around to not buy items or filigrees for high prices in AH ever since the guy said that in general chat, so that the players who post them that way will be forced to lower their prices, or be stuck with the items. I hope it works.

As for my orbs, gear, weapons, & filigrees ; I'm no longer taking them to AH. I've started mailing them to friends who might be able to use them, or aimlessly opening a trade window w/ someone, tossing an item or filigree into it, & running away as soon as they've accepted it. I'll be darned if that guy is going to gouge any more plat poor players on these things via me. I'd rather give em away for free, and I'm doing just that.

There's another AH thing I learned of just an hour ago; For past few weeks there have been 2-4 pages of items in AH listed to sell at 2 mill plat. None worth it. Mentioned to different person, & same type of story. Someone asked in general chat what was going on with AH prices, & a player admitted he was using AH as a bank because he was out of space. Really ?

I needed more space, so I bought it, or earned it through favor. Now I'm selling off items I haven't used in a while, & probably won't use again or soon.

I just don't get using AH as a personal bank, & am glad there aren't 100 or more users doing the same thing.

People see the ridiculously high prices, and think the items are hard to find, or actually worth it (Mostly newer players like me, as players who have been around a while know better). So they buy the item at that price, or post their own just as high.

It's getting so you can't find a lot of items at decent prices in there anymore, thanks to these players who drive the prices up.

Community Member

People dont do that generally because you can just mail stuff to yourself if you need the extra space. Unless he already has a full mailbox...in which case IDK what happens when his auctions expire

As for the prices - yeah its kinda ******y but there's no way to enforce it where people cant buy undepriced items and sell them for full value, that's kinda how a free market works. If he wants to be generous, he can just offer to give items away directly to new players. Or better yet just give them some money so they can afford what they need at full price.

My bigger problem with the AH is there's absolutely no protections from snipers. So sellers dont get full value for their items, casual players get locked out of the economy if they cant log on and be there when the auction ends and hope they win the game of musical chairs, and likely a lot of things just get flipped and posted at a markup, which inflates prices overall.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    My bigger problem with the AH is there's absolutely no protections from snipers
    Yeah, someone just tried to do that to me a few mins ago. I'd been the highest bidder since the item was put up, with nobody else even placing a bid. I just happened to be in-game when I got mail saying I'd been outbid. Turned around to the AH (was on airship), and the item had 1 min left on it. I quickly placed a new high bid, and luckily got my item. Kinda irked me that the person didn't bid on the item for 2 days, then did so 1 min b4 the auction ended. If I hadn't been online, I would have missed it

Quote Originally Posted by mistress_minx View Post
    Yeah, someone just tried to do that to me a few mins ago. I'd been the highest bidder since the item was put up, with nobody else even placing a bid. I just happened to be in-game when I got mail saying I'd been outbid. Turned around to the AH (was on airship), and the item had 1 min left on it. I quickly placed a new high bid, and luckily got my item. Kinda irked me that the person didn't bid on the item for 2 days, then did so 1 min b4 the auction ended. If I hadn't been online, I would have missed it
    Some people just sort the AH by time remaining, and bid on potential deals that are about to expire without really caring what they are. If he'd been "stalking" that auction for 2 days, there probably would have been a bidding war.

People try to do this every now and then, and it usually bites them in the butt. They have to buy too much - one person cannot keep up w/ all the items being placed on the AH, so they end up w/ piles of nice stuff that they bought, more than they can find buyers for as new items hit the market, so eventually they realize that they either have to eat it or dump it.

The only exception is if the prices are absurdly low - and that may be what you're allowing.

Example* - if someone sees a Collapsed Portable Hole for sale for 10 plat, then, even if they don't need one, it's very possible they're going to buy it immediately. They then might put it up immediately for 2,000, which is a 20x(!) profit (but still absurdly cheap*). If they see 2, same reaction. If they see 100 for that price - they may have the same reaction w/ a few, or a couple dozen, but others will have the same reaction as well - so same diff.

(* Theoretical example - It would be unexpected to see 100 CPH's on the AH for any price, much less so absurdly low. However, if I name a specific item w/ a "realistic" price, then I suddenly influence that item's price. Don't want to even risk that. For the record, CPH's typically sell for much more than 2,000 plat - but PM me if you have 1-100 lying around and want to try to prove me wrong. )

IAnywhere from 150 - 600 for any of them, just to cover fees.

I'd get mail showing someone had bought all at same time.
    There is "selling cheap" and then there is "giving away". Don't know what ML those are, but if those prices really are just "covering fees" (or anywhere close), then that person also might be grabbing those items just to melt for crafting - 1 item = x# of essences, and essences can be expensive! Why buy essences* if you're essentially "giving away" items?

(* As a ~very~ rough rule of thumb, anything less than about half the "base value" (droploot BV = ~400 plat/ML) is starting to be tempting for crafters, as even a ML 1 item =1(+) essences. It's not a simple 1:X ratio of return, and essences sell for diff amounts on diff servers, but that's ballpark.)

I find that even lowbie items, if worthwhile*, sell quickly for 1200-1700, which means (to me) that players find that "base value" (and sometimes higher) is a "good price". Shouldn't need to sell cheaper than that (unless you are, indeed, aiming to dump trashloot for the crafters). ML 10 is about 4-9k (or more), depending. Higher than that gets more complex, as you start to compete w/ named items.

(* ML 1-4, base value 400-1600, nothing special - +1d6 weapon, +2 stat item, +5 skill, +1 deadly, any matched spellpower/lore, etc.)

So if you're giving stuff away on the AH, expect anyone to grab it, for whatever reasons. If they, in turn, try to sell for more than the market price (and you've just lowered that slightly) - the items won't sell very fast, so that person won't do that for very long.

I've found that if I "price to sell", but not to "give away", then I get very few returns from the AH, put a surprising amount of plat in my pocket, and know that lots of folk are getting good deals on droploot-quality items for their toons. And, for me, that's enough of a win/win.

Yeah... I just happened to be in-game when I got mail saying I'd been outbid... the item had 1 min left on it... If I hadn't been online, I would have missed it
    That's just the other side of the same coin - an item that was too low for the bid price, rather than the asking price. It's how it works, for better or worse. Welcome to the DDO AH. :/

What are these unbound ravenloft items you speak of? I cant think of any except filigree which you list separately.

10 orbs at a time? Most of the orbs I pull are pretty bad no different than a lootgen caster stick or other random weapons with spell power and lore stats. Rarely matching type and seemingly running very heavy on repair bonuses. to post 10 worth buying seems incredibly fortunate. About 1 in 10 lootgen orbs look useful to someone to me.

Some one buying all those filigree are also probably buying a lot they will never sell. Common filigree are a dime a dozen and many sets are not terribly appealing or are very niche.

I find lower level heroic gear with somewhat useful stats on it sell well on the plat AH. Exceptionally nice heroic level loot sells easily on the shard exchange. The higher the level the gear the less well it sells with epic gear not selling at all unless it is exceptionally attractive.
    Percivaul Dusol, BadRandall and Shortpact--The Silver Legion

btw...

My friend also said his guild had been passing the word around to not buy items or filigrees for high prices in AH ever since the guy said that in general chat...
    Fixed that for you...

There's an old, simple formula for success in any market - "Buy low, sell high". If you're charging low, expect it to be bought. If people are buying high, either they're the fools, or you don't have a good feel for the market.

After 4th time, I checked out AH, & found all items back up for sale, priced anywhere from 6000-25,000 each.
    This is not the first time you post about this, so it seems you are rather obsessed about this.

I am sorry to say that for you own peace of mind you should just let this go. You should accept that when you post something on AH, then what happens with it is out of your hands. There is nothing you can do.

People will do what they want, if someone buys cheap to sell with a profit then there is absolutely nothing you or anyone else can do about it.

Just let it go.

Default Ahhh I feel so sad...

I rarely place bids before the 3 minute mark while online. The only time I place a bid with more time is to keep track of it.

So I guess I am one of those "snipers." Although in my defense I don't purchase things to resell so I am not that horrible. I just like getting things at the lowest price possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

If I find an item that's even remotely cool, but not usable by me, I'll always post it on the ah with a starting bid of the base price of the item. The ending bid is some amount higher, making the buyout bid divisible by 3. My ocd takes into account the ah's fee. If it doesn't sell, I scrap it in the crafting hall.

I couldn't care less if people buy them and resell them for huge profits. Good for them. But I play DDO to play DDO, not to play the auction house.
    Quote Originally Posted by grodon9999 View Post
    This game has been such an absurd grind that I’d rather stick my junk in a beehive than make another toon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    An expansion . .. with a set of packs for each plane to come out every month or two . . . it'll be like crack to Whitney Houston.

One could say that you are just as much at fault for market manipulation as the other person. You are artifically trying to drop the market prices on items. That’s honestly as jerky as the other way.

Community Member

I sell stuff for low prices all the time. I do this to try to help new players. If someone buys it and reposts it to try to make money, that's up to them. I can't care about this.

Actually, going for a Fair Market Value, or close to it, is NOT manipulating the market.

Quote Originally Posted by simo0208 View Post
    One could say that you are just as much at fault for market manipulation as the other person. You are artifically trying to drop the market prices on items. That’s honestly as jerky as the other way.

Corner Merchants Forums: http://corner-merchants.forumotion.com/

Community Member Oghma_Infinium's Avatar

Default Do not blame the F2P

Just get rid of your gift , give a try on the trade/advice channel at rush-jour on the harbor/market place what few times during a week-end.
    At least you 'd be sure to whom you 're giving them away if no one is interested ...

And yes , the spot price is hard to find (the less players are active , the worst it becomes) . Mostly on friday afternoon/evening
    and yes , there are snipers .

I'm one of them and I won't hide it or blame others to be .

I'm free to play , I can't sell more than 1 item at once , I'm far more limited in bidding than most ,
    so I deal with what I'm left (over) ! ( 4 sellers account /20 toons , round lvl 5 - 11 )

The must is when I buy a vorpal repeating crossbow ML2 at the broker for 1k and I sell it 120k friday evening on the AH

let loose the restrictions on the F2P , may be we would let loose on our behaviour too .
    Last edited by Oghma_Infinium; 12-25-2018 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragavon View Post
    This is not the first time you post about this, so it seems you are rather obsessed about this.

I am sorry to say that for you own peace of mind you should just let this go. You should accept that when you post something on AH, then what happens with it is out of your hands. There is nothing you can do.

People will do what they want, if someone buys cheap to sell with a profit then there is absolutely nothing you or anyone else can do about it.

Just let it go.
    Kind of my attitude on the AH too. When I put something up for sale it's because I want it gone and am hoping to make a little coin on the effort. Like I told someone on chat one time 'I know I'll get my money and a bunch of my sale's will add up, as opposed to someone hoping to make that one big score that might not ever happen'.

As to using the AH as a bank - I've always wondered why anyone would post insanely high prices on items, guess I know now.
    Aias Iceforge. Barbarian Ice Dwarf - Khyber

I was posting in AH at low prices, so newer players w/o a lot of plat, or players who don't own WPM or RL , would have a chance to have em too. Same thing w/ lower lvl unnamed gear that was still pretty good on stats, & unbound gear from places like RL (which some ppl dont own, so they can't quest for those items themselves).
    Another option that doesn't seem to get a lot of use now is selling those items to the Pawn Brokers. Might not stop your problem of people re-buying and selling them for more, but I doubt you'll have a lot of players running around to all the brokers checking vice just sitting at the AH looking.

Quite a few years ago I picked up some really nice medium mithral armor cheap when I was lvl 4 and didn't find anything better until I hit lvl 13. Not alot of stuff on the brokers now, but it would be nice if they started getting use again.
    Aias Iceforge. Barbarian Ice Dwarf - Khyber

Community Member

You seem to be missing the point. The OP was trying to help new players, but someone is coming along and hoarding his stuff and reselling too high. We have that problem on my server too. Someone was buying low level items and selling for 300k. It was pretty sad to see, because a lot of new players dont go much higher than lvl 10 and they dont get to experience gearing themselves, which would make me not want to play and quit. My best advice is not to stop. The person doing this to us eventually lost interest, and you never know, some of it might get through.

Community Member

There's not much that you can do.
    What I do sometimes, for example when selling stuff like siberys dragonshards: I put things at fairly low price with fairly high buyout. So if a vet wants to exchange a feat asap, s/he can buy it. If a cheap dude wants to exchange a feat, s/he can bid and hope for the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast