Community Member

Default Best Past Lives for an arti?

Just wondering what y’all thought are the past lives I should be accumulating for an arti. I know past lives may not be necessary, but I enjoy them. Eventually I will probably try for a completionist of some sort, but I want to do the most beneficial ones first. Thanks for any input!

Ammonihah
    Orien Server
    Ammonihah on Orien

In part it depends "What sort of Arti?", and in part it depends if you want to include Epic/Iconic/Racial in that "What is best?" list.

As for simple Heroic, if you're a crossbow build (as most but not all Arti's are), Ranger PL's add +2 ranged damage/, plus a little gravy. If Bastard Sword (or ranged), Monk gives +1 damage/. Fighter adds +1 to DC of Tactical Feats, which effects the BE Tier V Thundershock enhancement.

For a blaster/electric type, Sorcerer PL's add +1 DC to Evocations & +20 spellpoints. (Do Arti's have many Conjurations? If so, Cleric adds +1 DC there - and some pointless Turning bonuses.)

For any (and in rough order), Pali lives are good for (self-)healing, and Arti PL's are good for trapping & UMD. Rog are good for trap saves and SA damage (if that latter is your playstyle). Barb adds +10 HP/, which is nice at low levels, but gets less meaningful as you level up.

And that's now getting in to diminishing returns. For example, Druid would add +2 to the stats of your summoned Flame Turrets and Dog - meh.

Here's a comprehensive list: https://ddowiki.com/page/Past_Life_Feats#Free_feats

As for the others - yes. Much longer debate, but just yes. PDK adds PRR, any 3 Racial adds +1 AP to racial enhancements, and easily half the Epic PL's are money. And on and on.
    Last edited by C-Dog; 12-24-2018 at 06:09 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    In part it depends "What sort of Arti?", and in part it depends if you want to include Epic/Iconic/Racial in that "What is best?" list.

As for simple Heroic, if you're a crossbow build (as most but not all Arti's are), Ranger PL's add +2 ranged damage/, plus a little gravy. If Bastard Sword (or ranged), Monk gives +1 damage/. Fighter adds +1 to DC of Tactical Feats, which effects the BE Tier V Thundershock enhancement.

For a blaster/electric type, Sorcerer PL's add +1 DC to Evocations & +20 spellpoints. (Do Arti's have many Conjurations? If so, Cleric adds +1 DC there - and some pointless Turning bonuses.)

For any (and in rough order), Pali lives are good for (self-)healing, and Arti PL's are good for trapping & UMD. Rog are good for trap saves and SA damage (if that latter is your playstyle). Barb adds +10 HP/, which is nice at low levels, but gets less meaningful as you level up.

And that's now getting in to diminishing returns. For example, Druid would add +2 to the stats of your summoned Flame Turrets and Dog - meh.

Here's a comprehensive list: https://ddowiki.com/page/Past_Life_Feats#Free_feats

As for the others - yes. Much longer debate, but just yes. PDK adds PRR, any 3 Racial adds +1 AP to racial enhancements, and easily half the Epic PL's are money. And on and on.
    Assuming you are using a xbow for your main source of damage, I would go for Ranger and Monk first for a total of +9 base damage per bolt fired. That adds up a ton of damage and makes arty super powerful at low levels. If you are casting, then sorc lives next best. If you are fleshy then pally. Barb also good for heroic runs.

Bladeforged (For robot) would be the best choice or Aasimar Scourge (fleshy) in iconic.

Epic Doubleshot or CoTQ are your priorities for Xbox. Then Skills, then enchant, then brace.

Community Member

Thanks for the replies so far!

I did do the ranger past lives, as xbows are my weapon of choice. I also got 3 sorc lives, and 2 wiz lives for the evo dc's. Does spell pen matter for an arti? I started to do fvs lives as well, but I don't know if the spell pen is needed. I hadn't thought of the monk lives, but I'll do those to for the extra +3 dmg. I also did 2 arti lives (and will get a 3rd) for the bonuses to skills. Once I finish the useful heroic lives, I'll probably start working racial and epic past lives at the same time. I was thinking of drow and gnome first, then the rest for racial, and 6 primal ones first for epic (3x double shot, then 3x CotQ). Once that's done, I'll start working toward completionists (let's be real, it's taken me 8 years to get this far, so I'm sure I'll die before I get to completionist in any category).

I think my final goal is a pure arti, so I'm trying to maximize the past lives for the xbow and the spells, so any other suggestions on past lives, or anything else, is always appreciated. Thanks!

Ammo
    Ammonihah on Orien

Quote Originally Posted by crudd26 View Post
    ... I don't know if the spell pen is needed...
    As a VERY rough rule, spell pen is only needed for effects that need a Will ST. Things like Charm, Hold Person, or Crushing Despair, etc. Things that effect the mind, rather than just do damage.

Arti has very few (if any?) of those.

Ranger and Sorc are only real must haves. Monk is nice too, but I hate playing monk (active evasion clicky feat is also a thing). Paladin if you are fleshy for healing amp, and also barbarian for extra HP. 1 wizard for past life active feat for extra Evo DC. Fighter is not bad too, if you use special shots that have DC. Plus Kensai Tree is pretty amazing on artificer multi class character. Rogues +2 to trap saves is okay too, and Mechanic rogue uses same gear as arti.

Did you already got Purple Dragon Knife iconic past life? The speed/remove fear clicky is amazing.

My personal recommendations for TR builds are 12 figter 4 arti 4Rogue, (12/6/2 or12/2/6also works well), 14 paladin 6 rogue mechanic (for holy sword, I also did 14/4/2arti, nowhere near as good), 18rogue 2arti. Don't forget to use Traps and runestones! Like seriously a ton of people forget about them. They are amazing if you have 2 levels of rogue mehanic.Also Sleet storm scrolls +FoM pot, and blurr/stoneskin wands and scrolls.

Good luck and have fun! There is a lot you can do with an artificer.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wh070aa View Post

My personal recommendations for TR builds...14 paladin 6 rogue mechanic (for holy sword, I also did 14/4/2arti, nowhere near as good)
    This would only be a build for ETRs, since both Paladin and Rogue are very back-loaded in that setup...you wouldn't get both Holy Sword and T5 Mechanic till 19, meaning by the time you had both sides giving you what you picked them for, you'd be ready to HTR out of it

If you just need a Paladin HPL and want to do it in Mechanic, I might suggest running 8 Pal/6 Rogue/6 Fighter so you could front-load it a bit more with feats and GXB damage...you'd be at full strength by L12, and then the last 8 levels will just give you LoH, CLW, fear imm and saves plus more BAB. Saves you a few AP in Harper too since you can use the Mechanic Core 3 instead. Just remember to make it LG at creation
    Last edited by droid327; 12-25-2018 at 04:38 PM.

Community Member

I did do the ranger past lives, as xbows are my weapon of choice. I also got 3 sorc lives, and 2 wiz lives for the evo dc's. Does spell pen matter for an arti? I started to do fvs lives as well, but I don't know if the spell pen is needed. I hadn't thought of the monk lives, but I'll do those to for the extra +3 dmg. I also did 2 arti lives (and will get a 3rd) for the bonuses to skills. Once I finish the useful heroic lives, I'll probably start working racial and epic past lives at the same time. I was thinking of drow and gnome first, then the rest for racial, and 6 primal ones first for epic (3x double shot, then 3x CotQ). Once that's done, I'll start working toward completionists (let's be real, it's taken me 8 years to get this far, so I'm sure I'll die before I get to completionist in any category).

I think my final goal is a pure arti, so I'm trying to maximize the past lives for the xbow and the spells, so any other suggestions on past lives, or anything else, is always appreciated. Thanks!

Ammo

Gnome, Drow, WF and dwarf would be your racial priorities, but Halfling is fun as an arty as well.
    The absolute best thing about gearing around an arty for doing facials and epic PLs is that you won’t gimp yourself at all. They adapt well to any race or type of epic karma you need.

As far as spell penn, I believe tactical det and prismatic spray have an SR check on the non-damaging components but I could be wrong. Wiki says no, but occasionally I see the blue shield raise on high SR characters but they still take dmg.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    As a VERY rough rule, spell pen is only needed for effects that need a Will ST. Things like Charm, Hold Person, or Crushing Despair, etc. Things that effect the mind, rather than just do damage.

Arti has very few (if any?) of those.
    Not quite accurate. Spell penn applied to any non-direct damage spells. FoD and wail of banshee are fort saved spells but are subject. And technically they have a damage component but only if it bypasses SR and the monster saves. So I’m this case damage is a secondary effect not a primary.

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

Ammo
    I'd place the FvS lives way down the priority list - no arti spells have SR to my knowledge. Tac det definitely doesn't and I don't think prismatic ray does either. It sounds like you've made decent progress toward heroic completionist tbh and I'd get it pre other types of life. I would probably finish off one life of the rest of the heroics, doing the other monk lives either before or after, then I'd move on to others. Fighter lives for Sunder DC I would skip as I don't rate the special shots with a save (wrack construct is good though).

The only iconic lives that excite me for arti are PDK. 3/3 sprint boost and PRR are good. I also like to have the shadarkai feat on as a 'your hp are getting trashed' alarm - I'd just get 1 if you're prioritising though.

For epics, doubling up in the primal past lives as a first stop is odd since CoTQ and Doubleshot are mutually exclusive. I'd grab one of them x 3, then one of Energy Criticals x 3 or Enchant Weapons x 3, then Brace x 3, then Skill Mastery x 3. Then see do full racials (or as many as you're willing) and come back to reassess.

Your order for racials seems fine. It's largely a 'more is always better' space. For the build I like to run (31 arcano tech, 41 battle engineer), every racial point goes a long way. E.g. Dragonborn only becomes a good option after you've got a few, prior to that an int race like gnome is very hard to move from.

Good luck! Obvs the above is deeply subjective.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    In Von 3 the breakables in the Troll Ambassador optional room are slow to get to and unnecessary for ransack.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post
    Not quite accurate...
    "Very rough rules" are not intended nor pretend to be quite accurate. But thanks for expanding.

Community Member Peter_Principle's Avatar

If you were a gnome and took color spray (and PK too, I guess, if you're iconic) in the racial tree, then spell pen would be useful. I think mostly only on heroics, though.

Other than that, you'd have to be doing some sort of CC/IK multiclass, but the gimpIness of such a combo is probably excessive.
    FYI, when I summon an earth elemental, it's not a "he," it's a "she." And her name is Pebbles.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Principle View Post
    Other than that, you'd have to be doing some sort of CC/IK multiclass, but the gimpIness of such a combo is probably excessive.
    It's not so gimp in heroics if your instant kill is 7.5k AoE raw damage, comboing over 10k AoE with motes and blast rod SLA.

It wasn't so gimp in epics either.

Evo and Spell Pen past lives are more powerful than all the others put together for reincarnating.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 12-31-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Completionist is a nice goal, and a great pastlife feat. In order to get there I like to focus on general defenses first. The road is long but 14 lives I think gets you completionist and epic completionist and 2 pdk iconic racial past lives This is the route I think I would go if starting fresh.

Pali+ brace 1st life (Vanguard pali)

Warlock + brace 2nd life (Tanky blaster)

Monk + double strike 3rd life (Unarmed in grandmaster and shadow dancer)

barb + double strike 4th life (cleaver in LD)

Wiz + weapon enchant 5th life (Eldritch Knight cc and dps in magister)

sorc + weapon enchant 6th life (Eldritch Knight blaster in draconic)

druid + cotq 7th life ( Fury of the wild and primal avatar wolf)

cleric + double strike 8th life ( Melee fighter cleric filling out martial)

fvs+ brace 9th life (Light blaster caster EA/ filling out divine destinies)

ranger + cotq 10th life ( shiradi champion and fury monk6/ ranger 14 monkcher.)

bard + weapon enchant 11th life (Fighter rogue splash swashie in fatesinger )

Rogue+ cotq 12th life (Fury Cross archer)

Arti + pdk 13th life ( Repeater Arti 14 fighter 6 )

Fighter + pdk 14th life (Melee or Ranged some self healing class splashed say fighter 12 strength domain cleric 8 or arti 8 with repeater)
    Last edited by Jetrule; 12-31-2018 at 04:28 PM.
    Percivaul Dusol, BadRandall and Shortpact--The Silver Legion