Community Member

Default Pierce? Evil? Force? What's the best Eldritch Essence form?

I'm mostly using the TS tree, where I have the option of changing to Evil damage, and later to Piercing Damage. Why are these options offered? Do some bypass resistance more often than others?

Which does the most damage across the widest set of bad guys?

Similar question regarding stance choices. Chain has the drawback of scaling only 95% instead of other stances' 130%. What does that mean, anyway, "scaling?" And presumably the benefit is that you do 95% to multiple targets instead of 130% to just one? What's the most broadly useful eldritch blast stance?

Thanks in advance,
    Addled in Argo

Community Member

"Pierce? Evil? Force? What's the best Eldritch Essence form?"
    Resistance vs this type of damage is very rare. But i have seen mobs(iron golems?) that have resistance vs any kind of magical damage(evil, force), but not Pierce.

Which is best? Dunno. None, all. Check your spell power gear?

"Chain, cone?"
    Cone will do more damage as its base damage * spell power * 1.3(130%). But is has medium range, hits stuff in front of you.
    Chain will do less damage then cone as chain is not 130%, but 95%. But chain has longer range, and when it hits one target, it wil bounce to next target that can be on left or right or up or down or even behind you or ...

Utility, toolbox. Cone hits harder, but mobs must be very close, maybe too close. Chain hits for less, but has range and can even hit stuff behind corners.

Cone is stronger than Chain in most cases by far. It does more damage to each target and unlike chain it hits an unlimited number of targets. So cone requires a bit more positioning as its shorter (but not short) range and only hits in a cone in front of you but in return does a whole lot of more damage. Imho chain is only useful for the first 3-5 levels - after that chain is just too weak.

Pierce uses force spell power just like force does. In haven't noticed anything that piece does not hit as well as force and for some oozes and golems pierce definitely hits better. The enhancement also add +1d6 to the damage which is another bonus but the cost of 6 ap is also significant.

Evil uses light spell power so the decision may depend on which spell power you have better access to and use more - light or force. Force is also used for Evards (good during mid heroic levels for damage) and Ruin/GRuin/whatever that epic dot is called. Light has some extra spell power and some extra effects in the ES tree though and seems to hit as well and sometimes better than force.

Personally, I used chain for levels 1-5ish, cone for 6-11, then go ES blaster from 12-20 (would be cone if not for that) and then back to cone in epics. As for damage type I use force during 1-8ish, pierce during 9-11, light 11+ but could see force at cap if Ruin/GRuin are used.
    Danskerne
    Et dansktalende guild på Ghallanda. Send PM, hvis du er interesseret.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by WaxonJaxov View Post
    I'm mostly using the TS tree, where I have the option of changing to Evil damage, and later to Piercing Damage. Why are these options offered? Do some bypass resistance more often than others?

Similar question regarding stance choices. Chain has the drawback of scaling only 95% instead of other stances' 130%. What does that mean, anyway, "scaling?" And presumably the benefit is that you do 95% to multiple targets instead of 130% to just one? What's the most broadly useful eldritch blast stance?

Thanks in advance,
    Addled in Argo
    Evil damage is actually powered by 'light' spellpower and is definitely one of the least resisted in the game. In fact I'm not sure I ever ran across anything that was immune at all. This makes it have solid synergy with the Enlightened Spirit tree and the +light spellpower enhancements.

Chain shape does the least damage, by a lot. Let's say your base damage is a flat 100, so with chain shape you'd do 95 damage, and with cone you'd do 130. That alone makes chain a non-starter for me. But the real kicker is that chain shape misses a lot if you or the mobs are moving (often both are) and as a result ends up being about half the DPS of cone. Cone also has much better range than people realize and will hit every target in that direction whether or not you actually have a mob hard targeted. You can play cone shape like a first person shooter and always stay on the move which is always better in the end anyways.

Most players like using a mix of TS/ES, floating around using chain shape doing evil damage. Personally I think this is the worst warlock build. It has no focus - aka less DC, less DPS, and wastes most of the ES tree because they're not running the aura. Very common to see this and this type of split is why warlock hasn't been further nerfed. It's basically the equivalent to if the majority of pure monks were running dual kamas instead of handwraps. In my experience the only 2 worthy warlock setups are going about 35ap in Soul Eater with 45ap in Tainted Scholar to get the good DC's, extra 8% crit chance from SE, and the +blast speed and crit multi from TS. The other option is to do something like 45 Enlightened Spirit with 27 Tainted Scholar in order to be actual tanky with solid crit multi and retain Bewildering Blast (auto-confuse) from TS. So DC/DPS or tank, anything between is no good. In DDO it's really bad to half-focus builds and floating chain shape warlocks are the prime example of missed opportunity.

Bounty Hunter

As far as shape the answer is "it depends". Cone is generally the highest dps if you can group up enemies within the cone range, but that can't always be done. I used to skip chain, but now I take chain and switch it situationally.

For example, if you are fighting a bunch of wisps or archers spread out - chain is probably the quickest way to clear the enemies vs. cone, standard blast or aura. When fighting a single boss I always switch to the focused blast which gives me maximum range and dps.

Force is the default and doesn't require any AP spend. Force also has nice synergies with tentacles, ruin, greater ruin and arcane pulse.

Utterdark blast uses light spellpower and lore which has higher potential than force due to past life stances (sun elf), exalted angel synergies and superior items such as this:

https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Epic_Coalesced_Coinage

Which stacks with other items and insightful radiance lore 11 is still the best you can get with insightful lore even at level 30. As far as I know the best you can get with insightful force lore is 5%, but if you look also at pact damage my personal preference is for one of the 5% insightful lore items that applies to all spell damage rather than just light. There are also these 3 items plus an LGS item to boost acid crit damage if you wanted to max damage:

https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Bracers_of_the_Mountain
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Cloak_of_the_Mountain
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Clouded_Dreams

Community Member

Re: changing damage types, that's about aligning spell power types for gearing. Evil lets you gear Light and Alignment, which also benefits auralock light damage. Pierce uses the same spell power (force and physical) as base blast, but it lets you bypass defense for mobs that are resistant to all magic since it's physical....but that's pretty useless so most people ignore pierce.

Poor sonic the hedgehog is so left out

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

If you have both available, you can swap when you see yellow numbers.

I sit with Utterdark on 90% of the time, but when I remember (and if I've spent the AP), I swap to pierce for some golems and for the Box Monster in Snitch because that one specific monster is actually immune to light and alignment damage.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisAlien View Post
    Poor sonic the hedgehog is so left out
    I wish Warlock had Perform as a class skill for Sonic. My warlock runs Fey for the CC, but he keeps asking me if he can swap to GOO for the extra power/dps from spellpower + burnscar. 'Dunno why he bothers; he already knows the answer.

And, yeah, I make him use Utterdark, too, but he likes that because of the synergy with ES tree. Without ES light bonuses, I'd be tempted to make him use force or pierce. If you want to swap damage types around at will without much worry about which power you're using, I'd recommend the Pansophic Circlet.

I used an ungeared iconic to solo-farm my Warlock's; so, it's not that hard to get if you can't find help.

Do some bypass resistance more often than others?
    Force is better than evil for Shroud Portals. But, you can just shut off Utterdark for that portion of the Shroud.
    Things worthy of Standing Stone going EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on.:
    • NEW - Setting Unarmed Strike back to what it was and attacking the real problem: Reinforced Fists items.
    • Fix the flipping non-proficiency penalties for Bear and Wolf wildshapes!
    • Redoing the drop rates of tomes in generic and raid loot tables.
    • Keep Lynnabel on task with updating the remaining legacy named loot to not suck.
    • Tiering the Runearms so that artificers aren’t screwed out of the advantages of Cannith Crafting in Epic levels on their signature item.
    • Finishing the enhancement tree passes (including racial PrE’s) before rolling out yet another DDOStore™ Enhancement Tree.