Default Sharn: Smash and Burn Puzzles

OK anyone wanna give a guy a hand here. I get that you need to get all the tiles to match the pips but there doesn't seem to be a lot of rhyme or reason to how to get that to line up.

Tried a strategy of always going for the farthest away lowest number and managed to get one to open but I am obviously missing the "knack" for how these things work.

Anyone wanna lend an explaining hand here?

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconScout View Post
    OK anyone wanna give a guy a hand here. I get that you need to get all the tiles to match the pips but there doesn't seem to be a lot of rhyme or reason to how to get that to line up.

Tried a strategy of always going for the farthest away lowest number and managed to get one to open but I am obviously missing the "knack" for how these things work.

Anyone wanna lend an explaining hand here?

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...25#post6212525
    hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by Nyata View Post
    Unfortunately that didn't really help. There is only one person describing the mechanic and it's not done too well. The Wiki has the solutions (assuming they aren't disturbed) but of course we started jumping on them to try and determine how the puzzle worked.

Anyone have a clearer explanation of the mechanic involved. The quest itself seems exciting (those raptors and the open design overwhelmed us a couple of times) but the puzzles were VERY frustrating, we got 2 and skipped the rest because they weren't really required. I would be nice to know the mechanic just for those times that you inadvertently jump on the wrong piston or graze one as you jump over it to the one you really wanted.

Community Member

I find puzzles interesting but (there are always butts) I get annoying bug where one tile locks (not on highest point, usually on 0 or 1) until you jump on another one which messes up everything.

Also occasionally tiles react as if I jumped multiple times.

Solvable, but takes too much time since you gotta redo them due to above mentioned issues.

You'd have to login to the DDO wiki to see the current version: https://ddowiki.com/page/Smash_and_Burn as the latest edits and images haven't all propagated to the public (and its still work in progress, etc.). However, very loosely:

Objective for the Dice Puzzles: get all the faces showing the same value that corresponds to the figure on a "dice" symbol located nearby.
    Total amount of pips visible within a single puzzle never changes so you must aim to distribute those values evenly.
    The dice faces go from (blank reset) to showing 1-4 pips. Loosely the dice face you step on will "steal" 1 pip from each adjacent dice that touch it in a cardinal direction and add them to its own face value if possible up to maximum face value of 4.

The best demonstration videos and explanation, I have seen of how to get the puzzle into a solvable state; if you screw-up: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...mash-and-Burn)
    Last edited by DYWYPI; 05-18-2019 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Grammar.

Quote Originally Posted by DYWYPI View Post
    You'd have to login to the DDO wiki to see the current version: https://ddowiki.com/page/Smash_and_Burn as the latest edits and images haven't all propagated to the public (and its still work in progress, etc.). However, very loosely:

Objective for the Dice Puzzles: get all the faces showing the same value that corresponds to the figure on a "dice" symbol located nearby.
    Total amount of pips visible within a single puzzle never changes so you must aim to distribute those values evenly.
    The dice faces go from (blank reset) to showing 1-4 pips. Loosely the dice face you step on will "steal" 1 pip from each adjacent dice that touch it in a cardinal direction and add them to its own face value if possible up to maximum face value of 4.

The best demonstration videos and explanation, I have seen of how to get the puzzle into a solvable state; if you screw-up: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...mash-and-Burn)
    Thank you for the explanation. This helps out quite a bit.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconScout View Post
    Unfortunately that didn't really help. There is only one person describing the mechanic and it's not done too well. The Wiki has the solutions (assuming they aren't disturbed) but of course we started jumping on them to try and determine how the puzzle worked.

Anyone have a clearer explanation of the mechanic involved. The quest itself seems exciting (those raptors and the open design overwhelmed us a couple of times) but the puzzles were VERY frustrating, we got 2 and skipped the rest because they weren't really required. I would be nice to know the mechanic just for those times that you inadvertently jump on the wrong piston or graze one as you jump over it to the one you really wanted.
    I gave a general solution to all but the 3x3 3 pip puzzle here:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6213565

Someone else has solved the 3 x 3 3 pips puzzle. There is a nice video tutorial here: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6213465 In fact there are good video tutorials to all the puzzles there.
    Last edited by bracelet; 05-20-2019 at 03:10 PM.

Since the dice pip number never changes, the puzzles should always be solvable within the grid array they are in currently. Whoever provided those four in-game screenshots, took the: [27 pips] Forgewraith room, Dice: 3 solution, at a 90-degree angle - for some bizarre reason.

Admittedly the four dice in a row; is taken from the back but that line is a mirror image anyway. Since I don't have access to the Expansion I cannot provide screenshots.

For a very crude visualisation of the Forgewraith Dice: 3 changes:

Kill the lice and throw the dice.

The large numbers are the "Steps" and the coloured "dice" shows the dice, after being stepped upon and the arrows are showing the pips have already moved.