Default Systematic Upgrade

Yesterday was much longer then planned. Google map tells lies, "3.5 hour drive if you use the 'short' cut". Oh great, how convenient! Finds me out driving in the remote mountain tops driving over the clouds looking down at the world. Uses way more gas and time, takes 6 hours (which includes 1 stop) and another 6 hours to get back (with 1 more stop along the way). Arrive home exhausted, lagged out, and sleepy.

It was easily worth it. When you find a good deal, you have two choices, go after the good deal or give up on it. My business needed to replace a computer that controls the plotter, I could spend $$$ for a typical deal to replace the computer or if I drive according to google map for what should have been 3.5 hours, I get about x5 the value of my money. Now I got two really fast professional computers, which is part of a systemic upgrade that is part of the business plans, that include sets of upgrades in not just computers, but anything that effects my business and if it makes me happier and more motivated, that effects me business in a good way.

I look forward to setting it all up today, shouldn't take long. Apparently my best computer is set up for PvP edge, the dealer explained how having a good set up gives someone an edge in PvP. I've had some good computers in the past, but this thing I got now - it looks kinda... military good! Military seems to like putting bases on mountain tops? Strategic positioning? Or is it just such a nice view the guys with the tanks and guns get first pick? Anyways, I'm excited and very happy with the deal, despite the freaking lord of the rings journey to get it!

Will having a really really good computer make much difference in this game? I guess I'll find out, I'll be able to turn my graphics up more the usual. Game time will as usual have to be kept down to at times in evenings when I am not mentally exhausted from working all day long with ever increasing persistence. Speaking of, stopped on Panda Express last night on the way home, fortune cookie says "Persistence will pay off".

How fitting!
    (DDO PVP PVE 24/7 options options come check us out better then ever!!!) = (+) Sales
    (DDO PVE only, 10k isn't required, no need to TR 150 times, don't worry) = (-) Scary
    Live large, you are awesome, you are here, you are happening! Sincerely, Proton

Default .

Client side upgrades will not matter much past a certain minimum. Simply put, the game is not optimized to to take advantage of it so yes you will continue to lag in Wrath of Earth.

I've seen other players in Wrath of Earth play as if they have no lag while on my older computer. I hope it makes some difference, how are they getting it to look so easy? I'll run that quest on my newest best computer and see if I can get a performance there as I have seen others appear to get, or maybe their screens were freezing up and lagging out too, but it just looked smooth from my screen for some reason as if they weren't? Someone is playing that quest without lag, and that needs to be me!
    (DDO PVP PVE 24/7 options options come check us out better then ever!!!) = (+) Sales
    (DDO PVE only, 10k isn't required, no need to TR 150 times, don't worry) = (-) Scary

Spent a while getting the right cables, then updating the super cleaned windows. It will take a bit of time to update the second computer, getting the right cables took up some time, then install all the programs I need for operations. After that, I'll install DDO and my Main toon is lvl 13, so should be fine running Wrath of Earth solo to test if having a top notcher (computer) makes any difference there, or it really is lagged by server and oh well. If it runs better, I'll put a comment on it. If not, same thing.

Community Member

Wrath of Earth apparently has performance issues both client and server end. Having a good rig (up to a certain point) does help alleviate the performance lag in the quest, anything past that point is excessive. Seeing a lot of it has to do with particles means having more locks and casters in the party spamming effects will significantly worsen your experience in the quest as well.
    Very much like my favourite weapon, the quarterstaff, I am a blunt instrument, as are my words.
    Thelanis - Striving to be your Swiss Army Knife for DPS, traps and tanking
    Eushully/Centered LS Tempest | Nantekottai/Arti tank | Ponoka - Inquis

Quote Originally Posted by askrj1 View Post
    Wrath of Earth apparently has performance issues both client and server end. Having a good rig (up to a certain point) does help alleviate the performance lag in the quest, anything past that point is excessive. Seeing a lot of it has to do with particles means having more locks and casters in the party spamming effects will significantly worsen your experience in the quest as well.
    I lost yesterday to getting a very important 32 bit program to run on my new 64 bit computers (I got two of em in the same deal). It was a long process, but critical to operations so I am relieved its over with smashing success. I downloaded one game and installed it already, just to test it a bit. Game gave **** graphics, was slow, buggy, and not worth playing on my laptop, on these new computers though, wow, graphics was top notch, no lag at all, no bugs, I played for 1 hr while visiting with my friends before forcing myself to stop and get more work done.

Later today I'll be installing DDO on my top computer and ...

finding out what a difference it makes for DDO if it can turn a game that wouldn't run at all into a top smooth engine with no need to minimize anything or any settings.

32 bit vs 64 bit

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by askrj1 View Post
    DDO has some serious memory leaks. Login and back out a few times without restarting the client and you'll notice your character turns around significantly slower than on a fresh login. You'll also notice that it takes your ranged characters a few animations before the hit and damage rolls are made. Same goes with quests like Wrath, if you've logged a couple times and/or been playing awhile it's going to lag you really hard no matter how good your specs are. But....if you reload DDO before you run the quest you'll get zero lag the entire time even playing on toaster.

I run a 8700k with all 6 cores at 5.1ghz, 32gb ram, 1070ti video. I still lag like crazy in there if I don't restart the client.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerge2012 View Post
    DDO has some serious memory leaks. Login and back out a few times without restarting the client and you'll notice your character turns around significantly slower than on a fresh login. You'll also notice that it takes your ranged characters a few animations before the hit and damage rolls are made. Same goes with quests like Wrath, if you've logged a couple times and/or been playing awhile it's going to lag you really hard no matter how good your specs are. But....if you reload DDO before you run the quest you'll get zero lag the entire time even playing on toaster.

I run a 8700k with all 6 cores at 5.1ghz, 32gb ram, 1070ti video. I still lag like crazy in there if I don't restart the client.
    Exactly this, I have an 8700k with a 1080t1 and its still a slog, when I pull up my CPU stats its using a single core so clearly the game has not been optimized to run on the newer hardware which is why after a certain minimum in compute power you will not notice much of a change in DDO performance. It simply doesn't need and won't really benefit from a "killer rig"

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emerge2012 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Swimms View Post
    Exactly this, I have an 8700k with a 1080t1 and its still a slog, when I pull up my CPU stats its using a single core so clearly the game has not been optimized to run on the newer hardware which is why after a certain minimum in compute power you will not notice much of a change in DDO performance. It simply doesn't need and won't really benefit from a "killer rig"
    Yeh DDO leaks bad. Wrath does perform a little better after restarting but overall there are still issues. Alas, the client is more than a decade old, and we can only remotely try to blame Codemasters.
    Very much like my favourite weapon, the quarterstaff, I am a blunt instrument, as are my words.
    Thelanis - Striving to be your Swiss Army Knife for DPS, traps and tanking
    Eushully/Centered LS Tempest | Nantekottai/Arti tank | Ponoka - Inquis