2015 DDO Players Council Sebastrd's Avatar

Default Blown away by Ravenloft

I picked up the Ultimate Ravenloft Bundle during the recent sale; and I started doing a solo, flower sniffing run through the expansion yesterday. I'm only through the first chain, and I'm astonished at the quality of the content.

The atmosphere is perfectly creepy. I actually jumped when some skeletons popped out of the ground in Death House! I can't tell you the last time I was so invested in the setting that I forgot about the game. The NPCs and flavor text clickable objects do a fantastic job of revealing the Ravenloft story; and, even though I'm familiar enough with Ravenloft from years of playing tabletop, I'm still learning new details and nuances from the DDO treatment.

Death House is already my favorite quest in the game. I imagine the children's voices coming from the creepy doll on the splash screen, and it's wild. Castle Ravenloft is huge! I spent over an hour exploring the whole place, and not because of ubiquitous mobs of mobs like in ToEE. The castle population feels organic, not artificial. I can't wait to get through the rest of it. I'm not sure I've ever been this excited about playing new content.

When I inevitably run Ravenloft for the table, I guarantee I will use this expansion as inspiration. Well done, SSG! Thank you for the great content.
    Astreya the Unturning

It's always a shame when the hammer of poor design choices smashes the fun of player tactical adaptation.

Community Member

I am just hoping that Sharn will have a similarly good atmosphere.

Death House is also one of my favourite quests in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by thedip View Post
    I am just hoping that Sharn will have a similarly good atmosphere.

Death House is also one of my favourite quests in the game.
    Indeed, Death House is one that really deserves a slow walkthough on your first time. I'm always slightly disappointing when R1+ groups just rush past the house part, right to the basement.

So, MotU was a major success, Shadowfell wasn't very extraordinary at all, and then Ravenloft was a booming success. Hopefully Shadowfell ends up being an outlier, not an indicator of a pattern!
    That's not lag, it's just DDO trying to become turn-based again.
    Feature wishlist: colour-coded HP bars; red/blue teams in raids; rez-timer in party menu

Bug report form link

Quote Originally Posted by LeoLionxxx View Post
    Indeed, Death House is one that really deserves a slow walkthough on your first time. I'm always slightly disappointing when R1+ groups just rush past the house part, right to the basement.
    Yes, Death House was wonderfully done. Too much IMO.

I enjoyed it my first time through. Then I came back for the eventual item farm (after identifying what I wanted from the chain). It was my 3rd or 4th time through that it finally "sunk in" what I was listening too. Ever since then I run through it quickly because it elicits an anger in me that no game should.

Yes it is wonderfully done, too well...
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastrd View Post
    I picked up the Ultimate Ravenloft Bundle during the recent sale; and I started doing a solo, flower sniffing run through the expansion yesterday. I'm only through the first chain, and I'm astonished at the quality of the content.

The atmosphere is perfectly creepy. I actually jumped when some skeletons popped out of the ground in Death House! I can't tell you the last time I was so invested in the setting that I forgot about the game. The NPCs and flavor text clickable objects do a fantastic job of revealing the Ravenloft story; and, even though I'm familiar enough with Ravenloft from years of playing tabletop, I'm still learning new details and nuances from the DDO treatment.

Death House is already my favorite quest in the game. I imagine the children's voices coming from the creepy doll on the splash screen, and it's wild. Castle Ravenloft is huge! I spent over an hour exploring the whole place, and not because of ubiquitous mobs of mobs like in ToEE. The castle population feels organic, not artificial. I can't wait to get through the rest of it. I'm not sure I've ever been this excited about playing new content.

When I inevitably run Ravenloft for the table, I guarantee I will use this expansion as inspiration. Well done, SSG! Thank you for the great content.
    Indeed Ravenloft on DDO was a massive home run
    Bought my first dungeon master's guide in 1992. My favourite part of ddo is coffee and slayers

Just wish those weapons weren't so powerful at level 10.

Ravenloft was a huge hit. Maybe the greatest expansion EVER done on a game older than 12 years old in MMO history.

It was a MAJOR (and successful) effort.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Community Member

I agree. They really hit a home run with ravenloft. I wss worried that it wss going to be a disaster like every other vampire themed work done in the last twenty years. I was very pleasantly surprised to find they kept the dark horror theme and didn't turn it into a cheesy teenage girl love story like everything else being written/ filmed/ programmed.
    My phones auto correct/swype failed grammar school.

Community Member

I like death house too...but after the second dozen runs through or so, the cheesy Victorian accents start to get a little grating

"We're so tired..."

We all are, sweetie.

Yes, Ravenloft is great. Dare I say it? Ravenloft is even better than the MOTU expansion.

Default Awesome

Glad you are finding it enjoyable! I know that I have enjoyed it immensely as well.

What kicked it over the edge for me is that both raids are "non-raiding" friendly. In other words, I don't raid very often, but I figured if I was going to spend that kind of money, I really wanted to learn both raids. I have and I run them whenever I see a LFM up. Got some cool items over the past year even.

I suppose hand in hand with that is that the quest are generally accessible. I mean, there is that house party one with the over-the-top aggro, but other than that, really top notch!

Keep running and getting amazing gear!

I certainly got my money's worth playing just the basic Ravenloft pack. Mind you, I got it on sale for $19.99, but it was well worth it. Its not just the loot or the quests that make it good, the amazing atmosphere of the pack and the ease of getting to places in the pack really make this shine. While I preferred MotU's storyline because it told a more personal story, this pack still tells a good story, and its tragic nature appeals to some of my emotions.

Speaking of MotU...any word on a sequel? I have a axe to grind with Lolth and that FOOL Elminster...I challenge the developers to actually make him useful to the players if a sequel ever gets in the works.

Default The Raveloft pack is well worth it.

I absolutely love running this pack.
    As many others have mentioned, the mood, the feel, the design and the quests too.
    It is spooky when the children speak to you during the quest.
    If they can keep up the quality with future packs I suspect that the game will be around for years to come.
    I love too that I am constantly meeting new players in the game.

Kudos to a pack that was worth everything I spent on it.
    After a little Tolkien I am usually up for anything.

Ravenloft is kinda bittersweet for me.

Death house shows what they're capable of when they remember what it is to design good dungeons with atmosphere. I can't think of a single person who loves DDO yet hates that quest. It's such good old school design and it reminds me of why I fell in love with this game so long ago.

As you go on in the saga though you see it start to break down and more modern SSG ideals take over. Tea Party is filled with bloated HP mobs. I mean, 3k trash mobs at level 11? Hill and Wrath are just a giant circle with unfun trash packs every 10 feet. Abbey is unfinished and they never bothered to go back and fix it before moving on. The Strahd raid was pretty top notch, bugged as it was at release. Baba however is largely derided for being mostly filler despite an interesting end fight.

The new race was mostly a let down, standing out only because of the potential OP value in healing hands. VKF is extremely gimmicky and not many people saw the point of an entire enhancement tree based on a unpopular weapon. The lead in to Ravenloft was very poorly done. Like, one of the worst in MMO history. It was just, 'Hey guys, look! Ravenloft! PLOP!"

Sentient weapons they were hyping as some new system that had never been done before ever in video games and was going to blow our minds with how unique and immersive and cool it was. Then it's released and it's just augments with set bonuses.

I know it's hard to keep the magic going when you strike gold, but Ravenloft C1 is what kind of quality DDO should be producing. DoR was the first major test of what SSG was made of after Ravenloft. We were all hoping for more Death House and instead got Wrath of Earth.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ddo
    Building a Better DDO

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieWest_GuitarGod View Post
    Ravenloft was a huge hit. Maybe the greatest expansion EVER done on a game older than 12 years old in MMO history.

It was a MAJOR (and successful) effort.
    I've been playing these games since 2000 or so (EQ, then DAOC, then many others) and I would agree. That single expansion was so good it put this game back on the radar of folks that follow the MMO scene in general.