Thread: Surprise Me

Default Surprise Me

So, this is a completely bizarro idea, but I think it might be an interesting thought experiment.

Would it be interesting to have a type of Reincarnation called "Surprise me". The way this would work is that, when your character is eligible for reincarnation, you can get a "Heart of Surprise" that resets you back to level 1, just like a regular True Reincarnation.

HOWEVER, instead of you going through character generation like normal, your character is assigned a RANDOM race and class. You can adjust your stat distribution, feats, and alignment (within class restrictions), but you can't change your race or class. And when you level up, instead of going to a regular trainer, you are assigned a random class (within regular multiclassing restrictions, so, no more than 3 classes, and alignment restrictions must be met).

I think this would be an interesting challenge to mix things up a bit. Maybe even have a non-reincarnation "Surprise Me" mode to generate a NEW character, as well. Or just have it be an option at character generation. That makes more sense, because it would match the current reincarnation system better, so once you're DONE with the life, you can use a Heart of Surprise to get a Surprise Past Life bonus instead of a class/race past life.

So, what kind of thing would be a good bonus for a Surprise past life? I think it should be a random-ish bonus to go along with the random-ish nature of the entire thing.

One thing that might make it interesting would be, instead of giving a permanent feat bonus, you get some valuable thing. (Basically, at the end of the life, you get a special quest "get your surprise!" and you go talk to the Surprise Vendor, who gives you a reward list.)

Reward option suggestions:

A medium-sized XP stone (that isn't instantly consumed), like 500k xp.
    A selection of medium-high tomes
    Random raid loot
    5 good XP pots
    10 good slayer pots
    Various loot boosts
    A box that gives valuable ingredients
    A chunk of crafting xp
    a chunk of sentient xp
    A selection of guest passes (that you can use on yourself if you want)
    a box of cosmetics
    a stack of mirrors of glamering and glamered weapon auras
    astral shards

It might be a fun and wacky way to play.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    So, this is a completely bizarro idea,... ...It might be a fun and wacky way to play.
    I like it!

You can play that class and race even if you don't own 'em. That would be an incentive.
    Beste, Titus. Don't do the fun wrong || New to Orien? Join Titan Channel || Soko Irrlicht freut sich immer über neue Mitglieder ||

Community Member

I think the random trainer might be a bit problematic...
    If you have ditched a score and get a class that rely on that score. It could really ruin your fun.

But for a surprise me TR I'm all up to it!

and I agree with TitusOvid too...

You could get a random assignment of a class/race you do not own and be allowed to play it!

Cheers

sounds like you are imaging a fun game instead of a hard-core, achievement-oriented grind

For fun/challenge I did an entire heroic life without equipping anything so yes, /signed

Just add the chance you can reincarnate into an animal or even unicorn
    ROGUE Part QUATRE: Check out the stealth professionals, now closed
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked level 4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    Hope extinguished leaves fading memories of better times.

Quote Originally Posted by TitusOvid View Post
    You can play that class and race even if you don't own 'em. That would be an incentive.
    Oo, yeah, that would be neat!

Quote Originally Posted by Igognito View Post
    If you have ditched a score and get a class that rely on that score. It could really ruin your fun.
    The whole point is for the game to surprise you. Maybe don't assign your stats in the expectation of getting a particular combo that doesn't need that stat!

I'm part of a static group that does this without the game mechanics

It is referred to as G.I.M.P. - Getting Into Multiclass Playing

You randomly roll your Race, then you roll for three different classes - re-roll any class that would conflict with a previously rolled class - IE if your first class roll was a Druid and your next one was a Paladin you would re-roll the paladin since a Druid cannot be Lawful Good aligned.

Your first 3 levels are these classes that you rolled so at level 3 you are a 1/1/1 build

From that point on each time you are ready to level you roll a d3 to determine which of those three classes you will take.

Now, we do this on First Life Characters each time, but another static group did give it a try as multi-lifers. It helped a few get through a class life they have dreaded doing .

I would say that the last thing the game needs is more grind based on reincarnations.

If you want to reincarnate with a surprise, you can do this without needing to create a game mechanic. Roll one random dice to determine your class and another to determine your race. Ready, you have it. No new mechanics are needed for this
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Iriale View Post
    I would say that the last thing the game needs is more grind based on reincarnations.
    Hence why I suggested various consumables as rewards instead of necessarily having a new set of reincarnation feats to accumulate.