Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 201 to 220 of 220
  1. #201
    Community Member Iriale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    You are right it will help some at level 30 but doesn't solve the issue. There are issues with the scaling by skull level at higher skulls and the limited spell point pool is still an issue for non-warlocks.
    The main problem of reaper is that the penalty for casting is very severe with respect to weapons, but I do not think it is a problem that in high reaper the casters need help from the melees for the bosses, just as it is good that melees need casters help for the trash. High reaper should not be designed with the solo play in mind

    Of course, the penalty for casting should not be greater than with weapons. And devs could put some SLA on the sorcerer trees that allows them sustained nuking. Niac's type spells for example.
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

  2. #202
    Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter
    Livmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarlona
    Posts
    5,208

    Default Tactical Detonation

    It would be great if they arty spell Tactical Detonation got a boost as well. Please and TY. Its a top tier arty spell in game, https://ddowiki.com/page/Tactical_Detonation

  3. #203
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iriale View Post
    The main problem of reaper is that the penalty for casting is very severe with respect to weapons, but I do not think it is a problem that in high reaper the casters need help from the melees for the bosses, just as it is good that melees need casters help for the trash. High reaper should not be designed with the solo play in mind

    Of course, the penalty for casting should not be greater than with weapons. And devs could put some SLA on the sorcerer trees that allows them sustained nuking. Niac's type spells for example.
    When was the last time trash threatened anybody 2011? Melee and ranged easily solo mid reaper the same can't be said of casters without mana pots.

  4. #204
    Community Member Iriale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by capsela View Post
    When was the last time trash threatened anybody 2011? Melee and ranged easily solo mid reaper the same can't be said of casters without mana pots.
    Much of the problem is that the reaper penalty penalizes disproportionately casters. Before starting to improve everything at op ends, devs need to check that reaper curve and see how the damage is then.

    Anyway, from certain skulls the melees have it difficult without spell CC and the casters have it difficult without melee dps (sorc can easily nuke and cc). I see that right. High reaper should never be lowered to the point of being easily solo. But I agree that low reaper should be able to be solo for any class with a good build and well geared.
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

  5. #205
    Community Member bsquishwizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alled78 View Post
    The problem for caster IS mainly at lvl 29 30
    U are not focusing on that

    These changes are going to wrong directiion in my opinion

    1)we need an Epic spell power multiplicator or anything similar
    2) consider to remove Max caster lvl
    3)revisit spell power reaper tree, now are useless
    4) Revisit metamagic
    5) REVISIT arcane epic destinies they are horrible


    Actual changes are good only for heroic...
    What IS the ssg aim with this rework? Doing more heroic past lives?
    ^ What he said.

    I've been running wizzies in many forms nor for years. Non-instakill casters literally get hobbled in epic levels. Spells do not scale, and they become a blue-bar drain. Yeah, there was a S-M-A-L-L...S-M-A-L-L fix for this sometime back with the epic feats, but it didn't go far enough. And magister? Pffth! It's OK for DC casters (and it needs moar spell pen added), but for damage-dealers it sucks.


    Lastly - let me reiterate that adding more ice / fire / acid / sonic / whatever damage spells aren't needed if you provide the advice given above. However, the fact that the Illusion line just sort of lingers out there being half-done is almost criminal. I have a second-life gnome Illusionist that I run - it is one of my FAVORITE characters to play. Between Color Spray and two PKs (if I decided to do Illusion in the AM tree), he's as fun as all get-out. But...it could be more and better than what it is now with a better variety of spells. Flesh out the Illusion line before you go off and add more evocation / conjuration spells - you have ENOUGH of them already.

  6. #206
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    however, the fact that the illusion line just sort of lingers out there being half-done is almost criminal. I have a second-life gnome illusionist that i run - it is one of my favorite characters to play. Between color spray and two pks (if i decided to do illusion in the am tree), he's as fun as all get-out. But...it could be more and better than what it is now with a better variety of spells. Flesh out the illusion line before you go off and add more evocation / conjuration spells - you have enough of them already.
    this

  7. #207
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    488

    Default

    The 1st lvl bolt spells move too slowly to be useful. Please increase the speed it's absurdly slow. Mobs move out of the way 70% of the time.

    Is the PM necro slas affected by dice changes on necrotic ray?

  8. #208
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by capsela View Post
    The 1st lvl bolt spells move too slowly to be useful. Please increase the speed it's absurdly slow. Mobs move out of the way 70% of the time.

    Having tried these spells for the first time today, I can agree with the above - the spells seem only usable at point blank range or against immobile targets. I'd even worry about casting them at a target that's a bit further away and currently unmoving.. since there's plenty of time for the target to decide to move. The time spent casting them is probably the bigger loss than the wasted SP, however.
    I can only assume Magic Missile is due a boost as currently it deals less damage for higher cost. Currently this could be justifiable somewhat by it always hitting its target but if the Bolts ever get higher speed, this "advantage" is reduced a lot.

    ---

    Buff to Fire Trap is cool for increasing its damage and at first glance I thought it might surpass Firewall (60 base damage for my level 8 wizard vs 15 per tick from the firewall at a 1/3rd of the sp cost sounds pretty great, right?), but unfortunately Fire Trap is still ruined by the 30 second cooldown.

    Is Negative Energy Burst in line with the guidelines? As long as the spell is capable of hitting ones self (and, to a lesser extent, other friendly undead) I'd label it as a healing spell rather than a damage spell. Even if it also does damage, the healing effect could be considered an 'additional effect', no?

  9. #209
    Community Member janave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by capsela View Post
    The 1st lvl bolt spells move too slowly to be useful. Please increase the speed it's absurdly slow. Mobs move out of the way 70% of the time.
    Agree here, after trying for a few weeks, it is nice to use as a long shot on static targets, but moving targets are really hard to hit, id be better off just waiting for electric loop coodown in most situations.

    It would be nice if elemental Sorcerers could buy this as an SLA, maybe as a T2.

  10. #210
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    95

    Default

    Let me guess Capsela, you're rushing the targets, expecting to fire off the bolt and have it hit, and then when it doesn't do what you want it to do you, you cry that it's too slow. It's got an absurdly long range as it is, use them from a distance.

    If you can't see the target then turn up your graphics some.

  11. #211
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilentRunning View Post
    Let me guess Capsela, you're rushing the targets, expecting to fire off the bolt and have it hit, and then when it doesn't do what you want it to do you, you cry that it's too slow. It's got an absurdly long range as it is, use them from a distance.

    If you can't see the target then turn up your graphics some.
    They changed the speed of Produce Flame because of complaints about the projectile speed.
    The new projectiles are about as slow as old Produce Flame.

  12. #212
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilentRunning View Post
    Let me guess Capsela, you're rushing the targets, expecting to fire off the bolt and have it hit, and then when it doesn't do what you want it to do you, you cry that it's too slow. It's got an absurdly long range as it is, use them from a distance.

    If you can't see the target then turn up your graphics some.
    The bolt spells are too slow. I said it 4 months ago. Others agree.

    I use magic missle spells instead of the bolt spells because they hit their target no matter what.

    Magic missle shows that the Devs can program a spell so that it hits its target.

    Why even add a new spell that doesn't even hit a mob if that mob moves? Do any mobs stay still? No that's the definition of mob. "The term "mob" is short for "mobile"

    Mobs are mobile, they move out of the way of slow moving projectiles.

    citation added
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mob_(gaming)

    Last edited by capsela; 03-30-2019 at 12:13 PM.

  13. #213
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    175

    Default

    All bolt and ray spells should function at Beholder eye beam speed.

  14. #214
    Community Member Eryhn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    generally I feel the problem with ray spells is not really that they are too slow but rather that the AI movement and server reaction is too borked and sluggish at times to make them hit properly. going by the animation speed it should hit with the positioning I choose when casting but then sometimes it doesn't. So in other words, with the slower rays you just happen to notice a general server induced caster problem more clearly.



    is what Id say IF i were to call this a *problem*, which, well, idk, not soo much rly.


    the fact that you get double range on rays indicates pretty clearly that they can and maybe should be used with some thought. this has already been mentioned above anyways.

    open with them from a distance and the first few ones will hit, all the more as the melee mobs dumbly beeline for you after the first spell hits.
    if not used like that but as part of rotation regularly, CC before goin into dmg rotation. solved.

  15. #215
    Community Member janave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eryhn View Post
    generally I feel the problem with ray spells is not really that they are too slow but rather that the AI movement and server reaction is too borked and sluggish at times to make them hit properly. going by the animation speed it should hit with the positioning I choose when casting but then sometimes it doesn't. So in other words, with the slower rays you just happen to notice a general server induced caster problem more clearly.



    is what Id say IF i were to call this a *problem*, which, well, idk, not soo much rly.


    the fact that you get double range on rays indicates pretty clearly that they can and maybe should be used with some thought. this has already been mentioned above anyways.

    open with them from a distance and the first few ones will hit, all the more as the melee mobs dumbly beeline for you after the first spell hits.
    if not used like that but as part of rotation regularly, CC before goin into dmg rotation. solved.
    Seems counter intuitive given the idea was a low level "spammable" spell, which is the polar opposite to "having to use it with tohught"

    Since they are primarily a sorcerer helper, thats also fairly counter loreish, coz they dont need INT to spell cast, they "just do it".

  16. #216
    Hopeless Romantic dunklezhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Yorkshire Toxic Fringe Zone
    Posts
    6,338

    Default

    The new L9 spells - finally got to play with them. Or at least with 2 of them.

    I've used Iceberg and Acid Well, 18/2 wiz rogue, not a nuke specialist although I do have max and empower so that when I nuke it at least mostly works (and for the purposes of my comments below, both were in use). My ice and acid spellpowers are identical and my evocation / conj DCs also identical on this build. I play on HE as a rule.

    Acid Well - fantastic, great, feels like a L9 spell just went off. The look is a bit meh but I mean... its a bit splash of acid. Its hard to make that look exciting. The numbers I see are what is exciting

    Most stuff in the AOE at this level just dies from massive overdamage and what's left doesn't take long to mop up. Exactly what I want from a L9 spell. Worth making another Earth Sorc just for the lols.

    I don't want Acid Well nerfing or its SP cost improving because I reallt feel it is just right considering we're talking the supposedly top end arcane power of a L9 spell. This spell is what you should be balancing the other two around, its great.


    Iceberg - disappointingly underwhelming. It seems to do the same or less in terms of damage compared to Acid Well but only to a single target and for the same SP cost. It also looks like the chunks if ice just got lifted from Ice Storm, with maybe one head-sized boulder landing. underwhelming. I was really hoping for a LARGE piece of ice to drop. Something in the region of a Giant's torso or bigger. Like... SLAM, you're dead, everyone is stood around open mouthed at the house sized block of ice that just landed. But this is less "iceberg" and more 'some snow fell off your roof, brr'.

    It is basically not worth taking this spell simply because Acid Well is available - I would imagine its super great against red dragon and fire giant bosses of course, but it doesn't feel like it should be the same SP cost at all. I would just never take this unless I knew I was going up against the aforementioned large firey bosses.

    Its +27 per level instead of +18 so you'd think that would make an obvious difference when a L18 wizard cast is but actually... no. On my build, Acid Well was hitting for 1.2k with saves, 3k no saves and around 6K for crits… Iceberg was doing more or less the same about the same - maybe marginally higher but not 'awwww yeah, concentrated cosmic power' in comparison to acid well, which is where I feel it should be. Level 9 magic!!

    Given what Acid Well was putting out I was expecting Iceberg to be clearly more damage - e.g. 2K+ no save, 4K with saves and 8K on crits.

    Appreciate that the exact numbers are going to have wide variance based on build and gear. All I can say is that Acid Well feels like what I expected but iceberg feels seriously underwhelming both in terms of look, damage, and SP cost.
    Last edited by dunklezhan; 04-06-2019 at 05:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

  17. #217
    Hopeless Romantic dunklezhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Yorkshire Toxic Fringe Zone
    Posts
    6,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by capsela View Post
    The 1st lvl bolt spells move too slowly to be useful. Please increase the speed it's absurdly slow. Mobs move out of the way 70% of the time.
    These spells are absolutely fantastic in a group, because all the mobs are clustered over there so they aren't moving around. If you're solo and you want to use these spells... yeah very close range or do the Olden Days ranger kite thing to get the mob chasing you in a straight line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

  18. #218
    Community Member janave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dunklezhan View Post
    These spells are absolutely fantastic in a group, because all the mobs are clustered over there so they aren't moving around. If you're solo and you want to use these spells... yeah very close range or do the Olden Days ranger kite thing to get the mob chasing you in a straight line.
    Counter the original design, as per OP was supposed to be a long range spammable spell, makes little sense that it works best at point blank due to its very low travel speed.

  19. #219
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    171

    Default

    I would like to see this re visited for divine casters as spamming nuker spells for cleric and favored souls is painfully slow way to kill a mob, and mainly just a drain on my spell point bar.

    And yes Improving more necrotic spells for wizard necromancers would be nice.

  20. #220
    Hopeless Romantic dunklezhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Yorkshire Toxic Fringe Zone
    Posts
    6,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    Counter the original design, as per OP was supposed to be a long range spammable spell, makes little sense that it works best at point blank due to its very low travel speed.
    Agreed. Was describing how it was good, not claiming it was ideal. Its a good long range way to start a fight too. But as soon as those mobs start moving yeah... useless as a long range 'spammable'. I mean it is spammable, sort of, bit of a slow cooldown if you ask me. And it is long range, but slow. So on both counts it needs polish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload