Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default First Look: U41 New Spells & Spell Changes

Hello! We're here today to talk about some new Spells and changes to Spells coming in Update 41. This adds seven new Wizard and Sorcerer spells, and upgrades the damage on quite a few of their other Damage spells; this is meant to boost Wizard and Sorcerer's overall DPS and fill some gaps in their casting rotations.

The version you see below is what will be on Lamannia when that comes up (timing still TBD), but in the meantime we'd love your feedback!

(And if you'd like more information, the Weekly Wednesday Livestream from this week showcases a discussion between myself and Cordovan about these changes!).

NEW LEVEL 1 WIZ/SORC SPELLS

• Fire Bolt
    • Freezing Bolt
    • Acid Bolt
    • Electric Bolt

(Fire Bolt is a real D&D spell - We've kept the naming convention over to the others to reflect their similar nature and make it easy to read.)

Each of these fires a single-target bolt that does 1d6+2 damage of the appropriate element per caster level, to a max caster level of 10. They cost 2SP each at their base and have a 4.5 second cooldown (3.5 on Sorcerers) shared among all four spells (so realistically, you can only use one right now). These exist in the Wizard and Sorcerer spellbooks, and can be taken at level up. Scrolls of these will be available at scroll shops.

There are a few goals with these spells:
    • Provide a spammable low-level nuking spell for several arcane builds at a low SP cost
    • Help low-level elemental/nuker casters have more options
    • Help fill out long-range casting rotations (most of the low-level damage spells are touch range, and some characters aren't built to handle that without dying)

NEW LEVEL 9 WIZ/SORC SPELLS

• Iceberg
      • (3.5 book Frostburn)
      • Drop a big ol' iceball on your target
      • Single Target Evocation Spell: 1d6+27 per Caster Level, Reflex Save for Half Damage. Max Caster Level 20.
      • 40 Spell Points

• Acid Well
      • (This doesn't exist in a P&P source; it came directly from Player's Council feedback.)
      • Acid bursts forth from the ground in an area the size of Snowball Swarm.
      • Area Conjuration Spell: 1d6+18 per Caster Level. Fortitude Save for Half Damage. Max Caster Level 20.
      • 40 Spell Points

• Thunderstroke
      • (From 4th Ed Arcane Power page 37)
      • A big ol' lightning strike to a single target.
      • Single Target Evocation Spell: 1d6+27 per Caster Level, Reflex Save for Half Damage. Max Caster Level 20.
      • 40 Spell Points

Upgraded Spells
    We’re upgrading the player versions of several damage spells, as outlined below. The Max Caster Level of these spells will remain unchanged, and Monsters will continue casting the existing versions of the spells (so that we don’t get a sudden spike in enemy caster damage).

The spells that are improved generally follow all of these guidelines:

• They are Damage spells in the Wiz/Sorc spell book
    • They do not confer extra effects (CC, etc)
    • They do not have multiple projectiles that scale with caster level (Magic Missile, Frost Lance, etc)
    • They are not persistent AOE spells (Cloudkill, etc)
    • They are not DOT spells

Level 1:

• Acid Spray is now 1d6+1 per Caster Level.
    • Burning Hands is now 1d6+1 per Caster Level.
    • Shocking Grasp is now 1d6+2 per Caster Level.

Level 2:

• Scorch is now 1d6+2 per Caster Level.
    • Snowball Swarm is now 1d6+2 per Caster Level.

Level 3:

• Acid Blast is now 1d6+3 per Caster Level.
    • Fireball is now 1d6+3 per Caster Level.
    • Lightning Bolt is now 1d6+3 per Caster Level.

Level 4:

• Fire Trap is now 1d6+4 per Caster Level.
    • Negative Energy Burst is now 1d6+4 per Caster Level.

Level 5:

• Ball Lightning is now 1d6+5 per Caster Level.
    • Cone of Cold is now 1d6+5 per Caster Level.

Level 6:

• Chain Lightning is now 1d6+6 per Caster Level.
    • Otiluke's Freezing Sphere is now 1d6+6 per Caster Level.
    • Necrotic Ray is now 1d6+12 per Caster Level.

Level 7:

• Delayed Blast Fireball is now 1d6+7 per Caster Level.

Level 8:

• Polar Ray is now 1d6+16 per Caster Level.

Level 9:

• Meteor Swarm now deals 1d3+1 Fire Damage per Caster Level and 1d2+1 Bludgeoning Damage per Caster Level on each meteor. It has a maximum caster level of 30.

Last edited by Steelstar; 11-14-2018 at 01:25 PM.
    We don't only build for the builds that exist.
    We don't only build for the builds that are good right now.

The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

FAQ:

Why weren't Lesser Death Aura, Death Aura, and most other Negative spells included?

We're going to get around to a Pale Master revision eventually, and we'd like to adjust those spells with that pass.

Why weren't (other spells) included here?
    Probably because they didn't meet the guidelines above. Or because changing it to these standards would have been a net reduction in damage (lookin' at you, Niac's Cold Ray). We're not setting out to up-push all damaging spells game-wide; we're looking to upgrade Wizard and Sorcerer nuker spells specifically.

If other classes have access to these spells, will they get updated as well?
    Yes! Everywhere those spells exist should get upgraded. For instance, Artificers get Lightning Bolt through Arcanotechnician, and Clerics can get it through Air Domain. These would both use the upgraded damage numbers.

Where does this put Wizards and Sorcerers relative to other caster nukers?
    This does move up Wizard and Sorcerer's standing relative to other Arcane nukers (Druids, Arcanotechnicians, Clerics/Fvs, etc.). We're still gathering data (Lamannia will help with that), but we believe them to be slightly ahead of most other nukers now. They don't have healing (outside of PM) to fall back on, or a lot of the other resources that other nuking classes get; we're of the mind that should put them a little ahead.
    We don't only build for the builds that exist.
    We don't only build for the builds that are good right now.

The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

Interesting and first
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachomammashouse View Post
    The devs got bamboozled by the forum warriors.

Community Member

What are cooldowns for those new spells?
    Last edited by Kebtid; 11-14-2018 at 02:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    There is no shortage of content in this game for the weakest 5% of players.

For most content, they have three difficulties designed solely for them, Casual, Normal and Hard.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post

• Acid Spray is now 1d6+1 per Caster Level.
    • Burning Hands is now 1d6+1 per Caster Level.
    • Shocking Grasp is now 1d6+2 per Caster Level.

I'm assuming, given the description on the wiki (and presumably in-game), "A cone of burning acid shoots forth, damaging targets in the area of the spray for 1d2+2 acid damage per caster level (up to a maximum of 5d2+10 damage at caster level 5)." that the damage on this will actually be (1d6+1) per caster level, to a maximum of 10d6+10 at caster level 10. Is this correct? The wording in the OP is a bit ambiguous.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    They don't have healing (outside of PM) to fall back on, or a lot of the other resources that other nuking classes get; we're of the mind that should put them a little ahead.

Agreed.

The way the single target spells are dealing heavy damage is a LONG time coming. Nice work.

Lvl 9 Acid well is great for one reason alone, you listened to the PC.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthrawl View Post
    I'm assuming, given the description on the wiki (and presumably in-game), "A cone of burning acid shoots forth, damaging targets in the area of the spray for 1d2+2 acid damage per caster level (up to a maximum of 5d2+10 damage at caster level 5)." that the damage on this will actually be (1d6+1) per caster level, to a maximum of 10d6+10 at caster level 10. Is this correct? The wording in the OP is a bit ambiguous.
    I believe the OP says "the max caster levels of these spells will remain unchanged". Gonna guess that means it will be 1d6+1 up to a max of 5d6 + 5. (Goes from max of 17.5 avg to 22.5 avg)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kebtid View Post

My reading was that they are on shared cooldown of 4.5 seconds (3.5 for sorcs).

Look for it around 12 lines down.

Community Member

I think not buffing dot spells (specifically the acid dot spells) might be a mistake. Acid savants are already likely the worst savant right now, and this update just puts them further behind.

If we categorize each elements spells into 3 tiers at higher levels (where tier 1 is really strong, tier 2 is nice CD fillers and tier 3 generally aren't going to be used) we get something like the following:

Tier 1:
    Fire has Meteor Swarm, DFB, Fireball
    Ice has Iceberg, Cone of Cold, Otiluke's and Polar Ray
    Lightning has Thunderstroke, Ball Lightning, Chain Lightning and Lightning Bolt
    Acid has Acid Blast, Acid Well

Tier 2:
    Fire has Scorch, Scorching Ray and Fire Bolt
    Ice has Frost Lance, Freezing Bolt, Snowball Swarm and Niac's Biting Cold
    Lightning has Electric Bolt and Eladar's Electric Surge
    Acid has Acid Bolt, Acid Rain and Black Dragon Bolt (and maybe Melf's, though that might be a stretch)

If you ignore 9th level spells which presumably have too long CDs to be spammed acid only really has 1 super solid spammable spell in Acid Blast, and that is a level 3 spell. As a result they fall far behind in damage output in terms of spammable aoe, and also isn't really (in my opinion anyways) getting much return for it with cold and lightning having comparable if not higher single target dps while being massively better in aoe options, and also having all their useful spells be evocation which means that their off-element spells are stronger due to not having to specialize their DC in a school that only has one type of damage spells.

To me it seems like acid needs 2 more tier 1 spells to keep up (fire is fine with only 3 tier 1 spells in my opinion as it has by far the strongest level 12 savant core for dps, and also has the most epic destiny and item synergy from what I've seen).

So my suggestion would be to do the following:
    - Black Dragon bolt from 1d3 to 1d6+5 per caster level per hit (puts it at 3d6+15 over the duration, which is slightly higher than polar ray, but offset by the fact that polar ray's damage is more frontloaded. 1d6+4 per hit is also an option if 1d6+5 turns out to be too much).
    - Add one more solid instant damage aoe acid spell at spell level 4, 5 or 6. Alternatively, instead of doing this increasing the damage of acid rain is also a viable alternative I think, though being careful with this spell is wise, as it doesn't take all that much to make it too strong because of its multihit AoE properties (though unlike firewall it at least only lasts 8 seconds). Potentially an option would be to allow Acid Rain to become really strong, leave black dragon bolt alone, and have Acid Rain be the reason as to why you'd want to be an acid savant instead of any other savant.

EDIT:
    Another way to look at it is that acid savant already likely was the weakest savant before the pass, and in the pass you updated only 2 acid spells (and noone will use acid spray at endgame), compared to 4-5 spells from the other 3 elements, which just puts acid further behind than it already was.
    Last edited by Fecerak; 11-14-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kebtid View Post
    I am also curious!!!!
    You can run level cap quests for epic xp, but you can't run non-level cap quests for RXP when you're capped.
    r10 @ 30 stuff, sorc, monk,Ghallanda

Default Spammable? Pfft, Hardly...

This 4.5s (3.5s) does not make these new level 1 elemental bolt type spells anywhere close to spammable.

They really should be closer to the Druid's Produce Flame in casting speed and CD for them to be "spammable".

Please...consider 3 seconds Wiz and 2 seconds for Sorcerer. Makes much more sense given your own goals.
    I am often cynical and say mean things. It's a WAI "Feature". Mokune (Guild Leader of Pandora's Box on Khyber), Iquitz, Returning, Thaumat, Ketzerisch, Xhiron, Koanoak et al...

Community Member

The problem for caster IS mainly at lvl 29 30
    U are not focusing on that

These changes are going to wrong directiion in my opinion

1)we need an Epic spell power multiplicator or anything similar
    2) consider to remove Max caster lvl
    3)revisit spell power reaper tree, now are useless
    4) Revisit metamagic
    5) REVISIT arcane epic destinies they are horrible

Actual changes are good only for heroic...
    What IS the ssg aim with this rework? Doing more heroic past lives?
    Last edited by Alled78; 11-14-2018 at 03:09 PM.
    In game in Cannith as
    Aborim Master (main toon) --- Nickallin (my tank)--- Jjnick (warlock 30) --- Nickpunick ()--- Nickruvido (my healer)--- Nickallinone (shuri build)
    GODS

Assuming a standard cooldown what kind of dps are we looking at for a dps specced well geared pure sorc at level 30 with lots of pastlives and rxp using these updated spells? It looks pretty low to me compared to well build melee but maybe my technical knowledge is flawed.
    Danskerne
    Et dansktalende guild på Ghallanda. Send PM, hvis du er interesseret.

Default Druid love, please!

I know this patch is targeted to arcain damage but caster druids, more than any other caster, live and die by there damage. Furthermore druids have such few diversity of damaging spells avilable to them. In addition there are no extra t9 spells for druids. Thus i would say please add the tear 9 arcain spells to druids as well.

Second point: Arcane damage really falls of in high end reaper content. What is neaded (along with these spell improvements) is to have a lvl 27, 28, 29, and/or 30 feet which SIGNIFICANTLY increases spell potential damage.

Thank you.

Can you give acid bolt the same treatment as you gave polar ray, its really not a dot (as it only lasts 3 ticks). It’s really just a single target acid spell dmg.

Keep in mind that these changes will effectivly make the cold and lighting dot spells religated to the almost never use. If i can cast a polar ray for ~500 base damage why would i bother casting a dot spell with 21/42/63 base damage?

EDIT: Also what are the cooldowns on the spells, are they changing? Are they the same? And the 9th lvl spells cooldowns are also not listed.

I will be playing a wizard with these changes however, so thank you for that.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

New 9th level spells -- cheers and hoorays !!!!!!

Spam able first level spells that are supported by

Echoes of Power is a temporary SP regeneration that begins once a character drops below 12 SP. It will restore 4 SP every 6 seconds until you have at least 12 SP again. The effect can put you over 12 SP if you have more than 0 when it begins to regenerate your SP (for example, if you start with 3, it will recharge to 15).

Given 2 sp per 4.5 seconds, a character at zero sp would look like thus:

Wizard
    0 seconds at 0 sp - no cast
    6 seconds at 4 sp - cast Bolt
    10.5 seconds at 2 sp - cast Bolt
    12 seconds at 4 sp - on cooldown
    15 seconds at 4 sp - cast Bolt
    18 seconds at 6 sp - on cooldown
    20.5 seconds at 6 sp - cast Bolt
    24 seconds at 8 sp - on cooldown
    Etc....

Sorcerer
    0 seconds at 0 sp - no cast
    6 seconds at 4 sp - cast Bolt
    9.5 seconds at 2 sp - cast Bolt
    12 seconds at 4 sp - on cooldown
    13 seconds at 4 sp - cast Bolt
    16.5 seconds at 2 sp - cast Bolt
    18 seconds at 4 sp - on cooldown
    20 seconds at 4 sp - cast Bolt
    23.5 seconds at 2 sp - cast Bolt
    24 seconds at 4 sp - on cooldown
    Etc....

Since the Wizard/Sorcerer will never run out of sp, perhaps you could compare to the "Produce Flame" which has a higher Max Caster Level and faster cooldown and adjust towards that goal?
    For starters you could reduced said cooldown by 1 second at least, and increase Max Caster Level by 2 levels at least?

Increasing damage of above listed spells - also very good idea.
    Well done there.

I do feel like you are still holding to the barriers of Metamagic and Max Caster Levels that make spellcasters weak at end game, particularly Reaper.

Say if these spells were supported by a set of Metamagics that apply for free but scale according to character level instead of flat bonuses?

The real effect of adding more spells and increasing base damage of many spells is going to be to make use of metamagics less desirable. Since metamagic spell point cost doesn't scale with the spell effect type (whether it's an AOE spell or single-target) when you have more spells you can spam in "rotation" to kick out damage you're better off relying on your flat spellpower bonus and not using metamagics AT ALL except on SLA's.

I don't really have an opinion at this stage on whether this will be a good thing or not, but it's going to substantially change how casters work.

What school and save DC are the new spells going to have? This matters, too. If they're all evocation, that's going to further over-balance the relative power of Evocation vs. the other schools. You could make an argument for some of these being Conjuration or even Transmutation.

I'd like to see more spells of OTHER SCHOOLS added to the game. At present, you have three and a half useful schools: Evocation, Enchantment, and Necromancy, with Illusion and Conjuration being the "half" depending on what class you're playing. It would be nice to actually be able to PLAY a real primary Illusionist or a Conjurer or a Transmuter. Abjuration and Divination have always been focused on buffs and effects that don't really work for a computer game, like scrying. But there could be some more uses for, say, divination spells, like a spell to reveal the entire map, or a spell to make enemies visible on the mini-map. A spell to make stealthed enemies visible would be good. Could also have a spell to make traps visible on the mini-map.

There's stuff that can be done

Is meteor swarm still 4 rocks? If so i like change from 6d3+18 fire and 2d3+6 to 1d3+1 fire 1d2+1 per rock with a castsr lvl 30????!! This spell for a lvl 9 and coolest animation in game needed a boost. Seems like it will be strong.
    Khyber IN BAD COMPANY Longand Drunkmage Sexyheals Fullforce

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

How about a few new feats such as:

Star Power Ultra (or any other cool name you like)
    Anti requisite: Maximize Spell
    Passive
    Increases universal Spell Power by (((150/20)*(Character Level)) + 25)
    Spells will cost 0 more spell points while this feat is taken.

Star Power Extra (or any other cool name you like)
    Anti requisite: Empower Spell
    Passive
    Increases universal Spell Power by (((75/20)*(Character Level)) + 12)

Star Power Quicken (or any other cool name you like)
    Requisite: Star Power Ultra & Star Power Extra
    Passive
    Applies quicken to all spells for free

One of your big problems is that metamagics are only free for SLAs; metas cost too much, and metas don't scale at all.
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 11-14-2018 at 04:15 PM.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Any plans to make wands more useful?
    I gave up a life of farming to become an Adventurer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast