Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    346

    Default Fighter multi class options for 1-20?

    Was thinking of doing a fighter past life, going to TR at 20 so capstone and such doesnt matter to me. Are there any good multi class options for 1-20? Im going to use 2H (falchions from level 10 onwards) and Heavy Armor since thats what most of my gear is currently.

    Suggestions ive gotten were :

    - Take one level of rogue/artificer for traps
    - 1 level of barb, presumably for rage
    - 1 level of favoured soul for divine might
    - 1 or 2 levels of monk (doesnt work for me as i will be using heavy armor)
    - Some combination of the above

    Looking at the fighter tree, it seems really similar to the paladin tree...so for a 2H build, I would probably have a few points in stalwart defender for the stance and +6 str and the rest in Kensai. Since I would have points left over, that would let me put points into racial trees for more damage. Half-orc seems like the best choice for that, as they get 2H enhancements in their tree.

    Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Question2005 View Post
    Was thinking of doing a fighter past life, going to TR at 20 so capstone and such doesnt matter to me. Are there any good multi class options for 1-20? Im going to use 2H (falchions from level 10 onwards) and Heavy Armor since thats what most of my gear is currently.

    Suggestions ive gotten were :

    - Take one level of rogue/artificer for traps
    - 1 level of barb, presumably for rage
    - 1 level of favoured soul for divine might
    - 1 or 2 levels of monk (doesnt work for me as i will be using heavy armor)
    - Some combination of the above

    Looking at the fighter tree, it seems really similar to the paladin tree...so for a 2H build, I would probably have a few points in stalwart defender for the stance and +6 str and the rest in Kensai. Since I would have points left over, that would let me put points into racial trees for more damage. Half-orc seems like the best choice for that, as they get 2H enhancements in their tree.

    Any suggestions?
    The Barb level is for faster movement, which makes a difference in completion times.

  3. #3
    Community Member C-Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lacalifusa
    Posts
    3,910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Question2005 View Post
    - Take one level of rogue/artificer for traps
    This is an over-optimistic suggestion. Without a massive investment in Intelligence (from build points, tomes, and/or past lives), at 2 skill points/level, a Fighter cannot maintain Trapping skills (Spot, Search + Disable = 6 SP/level). However, you could be a lock-picker (and ignore the rest), which is not useless.

    Quote Originally Posted by Question2005 View Post
    1 level of barb, presumably for rage
    no, as stated above, it'd be for the +10% movement speed. Arguably, +10% running is +10% more quest completions.


    You could also grab 1 Level of Wizard for free Invisibility (Archmage SLA) & misc non-combat spell buffs, or Cleric for low-mid-level Cure Wand use.

    Usually, Fighter is a splash/multi for other classes. Or, if you want a Fighter Past Life, consider a Figher-12 build (or, if a 3-class build, Fighter-7+), and plan around that.

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Question2005 View Post
    Any suggestions?
    10 warlock, then 10 fighter, spending all the fighter feats on some dodge and shield feats. Most AP in soul eater and tainted scholar trees, with a handful in stalwart defense for defensive stance.

    Basically get a warlock with a less damage and more tankyness from defensive stance.

    10 arti, then 10 fighter. Most AP in ArcanoTechnician and kensai trees, with a handful in stalwart defense for defensive stance.

    Zap, then clean up with melee. AT SLAs all cap out at caster level 10, so you get basically the whole tree power for a 10 level splash.

    Edit: oops, toughness isn't a fighter feat.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 11-08-2018 at 02:42 PM.

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tilomere View Post
    spending all the fighter feats on toughness.
    Toughness isnt a Fighter bonus feat.

    Edit: Human would give you the option of feat DM of Passage which gives 25% movement speed from expeditious retreat SLA and Dimension Door from the human tree.
    Last edited by Coffey; 11-08-2018 at 02:03 PM.

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    151

    Default

    You should also ask yourself, or specify, what combat style you want to pursue. Two-handed weapons suggest Barbarian splash, sword-and-board is nice for cleric, or maybe Arti Renegade Mastermaker if you swap in a rune arm, Bard Swashbuckler for single weapon fighting, Ranger or Rogue Mechanic for ranged, etc. And one way to answer that question is, what seems like fun to you? Once you answer that some decisions get made very quickly.
    "I didn't change my mind, It changed all by itself" – Luna

  7. #7
    Community Member FuzzyDuck81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Question2005 View Post
    Since I would have points left over, that would let me put points into racial trees for more damage. Half-orc seems like the best choice for that, as they get 2H enhancements in their tree.

    Any suggestions?
    At the moment, if you have them it's hard to beat Aasimar as a racial choice to be honest since Healing Hands can be a real lifesaver & it's not hard to put a few points in wisdom & make sure you have a wisdom item equipped.

    A pretty simple build approach could be an aasimar with some barbarian levels, take the rest in fighter & invest in the frenzied berserker tree to take blood tribute & sprint boost then dip into occult slayer for ear smash & knockout for a handy no-save disabling attack, invest in the racial cores to get the extra healing hands & wisdom to boost their effects. Use that as a baseline then it's just a matter of preference really

    I'd probably go with 6 barbarian levels so I could get the 3rd cores & tier 5 in frenzied berserker, since I like the big critical multiplier boost (no longer requires being raged!) & then I'd not bother too much with kensai. Alternatively, tier 5 ravager gives +2 critical threat boost & you could go for the 3rd kensai core to add a +1 multiplier too.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, now what's it is weird and scary to me.

  8. #8
    The Hatchery Enoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    9,061

    Default

    the multi-class aspect for TR purposes has many options for dealing with classes a player wants a PL for but really does not enjoy the play style.

    The first question I have is what playstyle and classes do you enjoy?

    The second question is could you accomplish this using an 8/6/6 Build? The 8 levels would be of the class you want to TR PL for, the two 6s would be for classes that help you establish your preferred playstyle. You would start by taking the preferred levels and your last 8 levels would be of your least preferred class.

    ----
    When taking a single level of Rogue/Artificer for trapping/lock purposes you need to make sure you have enough skill points to keep skills like search/disable device high enough as well as the gear/buffs.

    Barbarian level is for the Run Speed. Rage is secondary but can be useful at times you need a strength boost

    Favored Soul/Cleric for Divine Might would be dependent on your Charisma Modifier - This is an insight bonus so a low modifier may not overcome what you can gear with an insight bonus for strength. However, both of these classes can help add a level of self healing/buffs as a single level would remove the need for UMD for spells used by these classes in exchange for the Caster Level Check. While UMD could give a better use chance, if you do not have enough skill points to keep UMD up this can serve as an alternative. Example, a single level makes 2nd Level Scrolls an option early on.


    As for Monk, there are features of the class that can benefit you even if you are not going to be Centered. One of which is the additional feats the class receives much like Fighters. As a heavy armor wearing build I would check to make sure you can take advantage of those features before going that route, there may be a better option going with another class for that 1 or 2 levels.
    -----
    Keep in mind that Fighter is a very versatile melee class that can actually mix well with any other class in the game.

    One thought would be a heavy splash of Warlock using the Enlightened Spirit tree. Here you could take advantage of the Aura (as you would be primary melee) and the temporary hit point abilities as well as access to buffs. It would also give you a way to have a ranged attack with out concern of needing a bow/xbow for times when mobs are out of melee range, or you need to pull them to you.

  9. #9
    Hero Propane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    From Wisconsin, Live in Iowa, Vist Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,530
    Sarlona - Guildmaster - Brotherhood of Redemption - ddoborguild.com - 2016 & 2017 Players Council --- Alts: Acetylene, Antimematter, CNG, Dilithium Crystal, EMF, EMPulse, Exothermic, Geothermal, Hexane, Hexyne, Hydropower, JA, Kerosene, LPG, Natural Gas, Nuclearpower, Propane, Solarpannel, Tidalpower, WASOB, Waulter, Windpower, Woodpile

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Question2005 View Post
    Was thinking of doing a fighter past life, going to TR at 20 so capstone and such doesnt matter to me. Are there any good multi class options for 1-20? Im going to use 2H (falchions from level 10 onwards) and Heavy Armor since thats what most of my gear is currently.

    Looking at the fighter tree, it seems really similar to the paladin tree...so for a 2H build, I would probably have a few points in stalwart defender for the stance and +6 str and the rest in Kensai. Since I would have points left over, that would let me put points into racial trees for more damage. Half-orc seems like the best choice for that, as they get 2H enhancements in their tree.

    Any suggestions?
    Looks like heavy armor 2HF with as much hit damage as possible is what you want primarily.
    Last edited by Coffey; 11-15-2018 at 10:12 PM.

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Not sure why you would take 1 level of wizard for expeditious retreat...anger's step clickies does the same thing, and at level 8+ you can have permanent +25% boots. I figured 1 level of wizard would be good for the AC bonus, cleave and shield as an SLA though.

    And yea, I did some calculations then realised it would be really hard to get search skills up high enough without tomes, etc and I wouldnt have enough skill points for all the rogue skills anyway.

    Didnt go Aasimar either as Half Orc gives more burst damage in heroics and racial lay on hands isnt very good in reaper with a low WIS score.

    I eventually decided to go full fighter mainly to front load as many feats as possible, and because I would be spending points in the half orc racial tree anyway, so wouldnt really have much to spare for other class trees.

    Enhancements wise, I put 13 AP into stalwart defender for the +6 strength at start then 18 AP into the half orc tree, and started working on Kensai around the time I switched to using a falchion at level 10. Im doing about 80 slashing damage per hit on the ship training dummies and not needing to spam frenzy or manage rage charges is nice. But if i had like, a +6 stat tome, 18 fighter/1 barb/1 fvs would probably be better, damage and movement wise, for a 1-20 life.

    Feats wise I went :

    Level 1 : Power attack, cleave
    Level 2 : Weapon focus
    Level 3 : 2HF
    Level 4 : Great cleave
    Level 6 : Weapon spec, Improved 2HF
    Level 8 : Improved crit
    Level 9 : Greater weapon focus
    Level 10 : Heavy armor master (+9 PRR/MRR)

    Probably going to do :

    Level 12 : Greater weapon spec, Greater 2HF
    Level 14 : Heavy armor champion (+12 PRR/MRR)

    Not sure where to fit in stunning blow or how many tactical feats to take. At level 15+, mob hp starts scaling way more than melee damage. I could take stunning blow at level 15, and then +8 tactical DC at level 16. Not sure what to take at 18 and 20 though.
    Last edited by Question2005; 11-14-2018 at 11:54 PM.

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Question2005 View Post
    I eventually decided to go full fighter mainly to front load as many feats as possible, and because I would be spending points in the half orc racial tree anyway, so wouldnt really have much to spare for other class trees.
    As you complete kensai and then add in all the extra half orc tree damage will help scale better. This way you will also get benefit of the kensai 5th core One Cut (Activate: Your currently equipped primary weapon gains x1 Critical Damage Multiplier for 15 secs. (Cooldown: 1 minute) Passive: +20 Melee Power and Ranged Power) at level 18. Nice final boost for damage.

    Arcane Spell Failure apparently now occurs on wizard and sorcerer spells even if they are the same as the cleric/favored soul spells. *Tested*
    Improved Mage Armor spell does not have ASF.
    Last edited by Coffey; 11-15-2018 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Arcane Spell failure

  13. #13
    Community Member Selvera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,711

    Default

    I've had significant success with a 12 fighter/6 barb split; the barb is for run speed, self healing, THP shielding and a better crit profile, the fighter is for +damage +melee power +prr/mrr and a better crit profile.

    On paper I'd say A 14 fighter/4 cleric split could also work pretty well for 2hf, picking up Ameliorating Strike, divine might and doublestrike from warpriest. But I haven't worked out the level progression and available AP, it probably wouldn't math out to getting self healing any faster then the barbarian split (unless you dove into that tree first; in which case the damage would be lower).

    I don't know the state of druid; but they seem pretty badass; maybe someone else could give you a good fighter/druid split. Maybe that wouldn't be heavy armor friendly?

    Fighter 14/Paladin 5/Wizard 1 is a fairly well known super tank build that works with sword+board, but could be modified for 2 handed fighting trading off some of the supertankness for some damage. However it probably would still end up on the very low end for damage in a leveling/pastlife build.

    Honestly fighter has pretty good splits multiclassed with lots of builds/classes; but if you want 2hf and heavy armor; a lot of those splits don't work (for example fighter/monk is a robes wearing split). The closest (not mentioned above) multiclass split is possibly fighter/rogue focused on quaterstaffs, which could use heavy armor or light armor as the situation requires.
    Selvera: Human Fighter 18; Inquisitive build
    Jen: Half Elf Fvs 20/Epic 10; Healer Archer with a more supportive build then usual
    Mayve: Tiefling Sorc 14; Just a pastlife for an alt

  14. #14
    Community Member C-Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lacalifusa
    Posts
    3,910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Question2005 View Post
    Not sure why you would take 1 level of wizard for expeditious retreat...anger's step clickies does the same thing, and at level 8+ you can have permanent +25% boots. I figured 1 level of wizard would be good for the AC bonus, cleave and shield as an SLA though.
    ER is handy at lower levels (esp since it has no Material Component requirement), and saves the 2-3 slots and the hassle of running Sacrifices that many times to get enough boots, and then having to use/swap the boots clickies. Later, yes, that spell gets traded out for something/anything more useful.

    I also like Summon Dog for early levels - great distraction and combat support, esp w/ Invis, which is a 1 AP "free" easy-button effect which is useful up through Coalescence Chamber and beyond. The Cleave doesn't scale well, but yeah, it's there too, and better than none at all.

    Shield and +10 Jump are useful until Lvl 30. Prot from Evil, Obscuring Mist, Master's Touch (depending on the build), Feather Fall and Merfolk's all have a use too.

  15. #15
    Community Member NemesisAlien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Look up, way up, in space.
    Posts
    1,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    the multi-class aspect for TR purposes has many options for dealing with classes a player wants a PL for but really does not enjoy the play style.

    The first question I have is what playstyle and classes do you enjoy?

    The second question is could you accomplish this using an 8/6/6 Build? The 8 levels would be of the class you want to TR PL for, the two 6s would be for classes that help you establish your preferred playstyle. You would start by taking the preferred levels and your last 8 levels would be of your least preferred class.

    ----
    When taking a single level of Rogue/Artificer for trapping/lock purposes you need to make sure you have enough skill points to keep skills like search/disable device high enough as well as the gear/buffs.

    Barbarian level is for the Run Speed. Rage is secondary but can be useful at times you need a strength boost

    Favored Soul/Cleric for Divine Might would be dependent on your Charisma Modifier - This is an insight bonus so a low modifier may not overcome what you can gear with an insight bonus for strength. However, both of these classes can help add a level of self healing/buffs as a single level would remove the need for UMD for spells used by these classes in exchange for the Caster Level Check. While UMD could give a better use chance, if you do not have enough skill points to keep UMD up this can serve as an alternative. Example, a single level makes 2nd Level Scrolls an option early on.


    As for Monk, there are features of the class that can benefit you even if you are not going to be Centered. One of which is the additional feats the class receives much like Fighters. As a heavy armor wearing build I would check to make sure you can take advantage of those features before going that route, there may be a better option going with another class for that 1 or 2 levels.
    -----
    Keep in mind that Fighter is a very versatile melee class that can actually mix well with any other class in the game.

    One thought would be a heavy splash of Warlock using the Enlightened Spirit tree. Here you could take advantage of the Aura (as you would be primary melee) and the temporary hit point abilities as well as access to buffs. It would also give you a way to have a ranged attack with out concern of needing a bow/xbow for times when mobs are out of melee range, or you need to pull them to you.
    Nowadays past life is only 8? No longer 15?

    I'm currently doing an enlighten splash also, you still need a return thrower for long range, warlock shots are at best medium range only.

  16. #16
    Community Member Jetrule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    966

    Default

    Fighter enhancement trees are good. Splash mainly for other benefits. Wiz for shield spell and maybe invis sla is a solid qol and quest speed enhancer. 4 pali for saves and a bit of healing is decent. Cleric for divine might might, shield and some healing is decent. Barb for run speed maybe a third cleave. Druid for wolf shape attack speed and some spells. Rogue or arti for trapping or atleast search/spot. Ranger for some ranged options, free twf and a bit of healing. Heroic builds are much more wide open to being near optimal in some situations and level ranges since you dont have to push and plan as hard for pigeon holing for high end performance in a specific area in late game epics.
    Percivaul Dusol, BadRandall and Shortpact--The Silver Legion

  17. #17
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coffey View Post
    As you complete kensai and then add in all the extra half orc tree damage will help scale better. This way you will also get benefit of the kensai 5th core One Cut (Activate: Your currently equipped primary weapon gains x1 Critical Damage Multiplier for 15 secs. (Cooldown: 1 minute) Passive: +20 Melee Power and Ranged Power) at level 18. Nice final boost for damage.

    Arcane Spell Failure apparently now occurs on wizard and sorcerer spells even if they are the same as the cleric/favored soul spells. *Tested*
    Improved Mage Armor spell does not have ASF.
    Uh...i wasnt talking about multiclassing as a sorc or wiz in the first place?

  18. #18
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Selvera View Post
    I've had significant success with a 12 fighter/6 barb split; the barb is for run speed, self healing, THP shielding and a better crit profile, the fighter is for +damage +melee power +prr/mrr and a better crit profile.

    On paper I'd say A 14 fighter/4 cleric split could also work pretty well for 2hf, picking up Ameliorating Strike, divine might and doublestrike from warpriest. But I haven't worked out the level progression and available AP, it probably wouldn't math out to getting self healing any faster then the barbarian split (unless you dove into that tree first; in which case the damage would be lower).

    I don't know the state of druid; but they seem pretty badass; maybe someone else could give you a good fighter/druid split. Maybe that wouldn't be heavy armor friendly?

    Fighter 14/Paladin 5/Wizard 1 is a fairly well known super tank build that works with sword+board, but could be modified for 2 handed fighting trading off some of the supertankness for some damage. However it probably would still end up on the very low end for damage in a leveling/pastlife build.

    Honestly fighter has pretty good splits multiclassed with lots of builds/classes; but if you want 2hf and heavy armor; a lot of those splits don't work (for example fighter/monk is a robes wearing split). The closest (not mentioned above) multiclass split is possibly fighter/rogue focused on quaterstaffs, which could use heavy armor or light armor as the situation requires.
    Something like 12 fighter/8 druid would probably have tons of DPS in wolf form, but im not sure about the survivability...you could wear heavy armor as long as its not metal, but the cavalry plate that I wanted to use is metal. Kensei do get dodge enhancements so that helps at least.

    At level 16 my fighter was hitting on average for 120 on the training dummy, at 18 that jumped to about 150. Even barbs dont come close.

  19. #19
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Question2005 View Post
    Something like 12 fighter/8 druid would probably have tons of DPS in wolf form, but im not sure about the survivability...you could wear heavy armor as long as its not metal, but the cavalry plate that I wanted to use is metal. Kensei do get dodge enhancements so that helps at least.

    At level 16 my fighter was hitting on average for 120 on the training dummy, at 18 that jumped to about 150. Even barbs dont come close.
    With 8 druid you have sleet storm and FoM as spells. Put FoM on yourself and group mates, drop a sleet storm, and everything in melee range is blinded, which gives the same 50% concealment as displacement.

  20. #20
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Question2005 View Post
    Uh...i wasnt talking about multiclassing as a sorc or wiz in the first place?
    I was clarifying a change that wasnt listed under wiki. Just some ideas for runspeed but you are a clever fella and you have your clickies so whatever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload