Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Then fix stealth, please and thank you.
    I have the awkward feeling this is their fix* to stealth*

In the release notes it says: Half-orcs no longer pop to the left when using the /laugh emote.

It also popped to the left with /taunt, dunno if you knew that or not
    ~Started Playing DDO - 6th June 2011 (Joined Forums In 2014)
    ~Guild - The Matrix (Orien)
    ~What Class I Play - Mainly DPS toons
    ~Youtube (Fansite) -
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BrandonPitney

Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    Hope extinguished leaves fading memories of better times.
    So often I and probably others think of you, Annex, as that lively and fun writer of Sophie and Vexa but has there ever been a more poignantly accurate phrase on these forums in the face of recent changes?

And so here we are, discussing the changes to assassinate after they happened instead of before. Whether our comments are thoughtful or not, they are relegated by order of events to venting, not constructive feedback and game progression.
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked level 4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    Hope extinguished leaves fading memories of better times.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    I didn't hear about this - what's up w/ that runearm? Just the range appearing misleading?
    Just this...

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...tral-Proyector
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Community Manager

The game worlds have reopened. Thank you.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    So out of the blue you are buffing assassinate? There was no thread discussing this with us—it seems plopped out of nowhere.

I have no idea what to make of it. Why can an assassin assassinate an ooze? Or assassinate someone fully aware/aggroed onto them sans some trick like blindness/bluff etc.? This undernines the skill of the class. I do not like it.

If you allow assassinate on these odd creatures AFTER they have been hit with assassin’s trick, I am ok with that. It is tactical & has consequences.
    Maybe it was discussed in the Player's Council forums?
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The game worlds have reopened. Thank you.
    Holy chocolate eclair Batman! Only 92 minutes of downtime?! Back up 2.5 hours early?! :O

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    So out of the blue you are buffing assassinate? There was no thread discussing this with us—it seems plopped out of nowhere.

I have no idea what to make of it. Why can an assassin assassinate an ooze? Or assassinate someone fully aware/aggroed onto them sans some trick like blindness/bluff etc.? This undernines the skill of the class. I do not like it.

If you allow assassinate on these odd creatures AFTER they have been hit with assassin’s trick, I am ok with that. It is tactical & has consequences.
    There was a post from Torc its related to reverting death from above to its original functionality and assassinate was changed at the same time

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...e2#post6147456

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPurge View Post
    Yes that is how to balance broken stealth since let's just give up on trying to fix it. It hard.

Assassinate to me means something like stabbing a vertebrate in the back of the neck, severing the spinal cord, or other weak spot causing instant death. How doth one assassinate an ooze? That is what I mean by now it is "magical" by constructs and elementals who should'n't inherently have physical weak points. Change my mind.
    I’m not trying to change your mind on what is/isn’t an acceptable target for assassination. I’m just pointing out that people who have not spent a large amount of time dealing with the agro mechanics of this game will assume that assassins basically now have a touch range IK that is as easy to use as any other IK. However you ignore the in-game reality of what a stealth attack constitutes, how you get knocked out of stealth, and how agro mechanics of stealthed characters operates.

The game worlds have reopened. Go experiment with it.
    The Shadow Assassin, and all around Miserable Elitist

some interesting stuff
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    BoloGrubb / DJGrubb / Gijo

Has the 30% challenge ingredient bonus been turned back on?

Quote Originally Posted by btolson View Post
    Has the 30% challenge ingredient bonus been turned back on?
    It was reapplied before the game worlds re-opened. You should have seen no interruption in the bonus other than the time you weren't able to log in. =P

If you find that not to be the case, let me know what server you are on.
    Tell me about any and all bugs you encounter by clicking here!

NOTE: Submitting a bug in this manner is not a quick fix for past occurrences; it is instead a means of bringing issues to our attention to prevent future occurrences for both you and others. Providing detailed information, especially specifics about your account and character as well as what steps you took leading up to the issue, are critical to us being able to pinpoint the cause of any problems you have encountered.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocomajobo View Post
    It was reapplied before the game worlds re-opened. You should have seen no interruption in the bonus other than the time you weren't able to log in. =P

If you find that not to be the case, let me know what server you are on.
    Good to know, I was just checking Didn't want to burn keys to find out

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yamani View Post
    Actually its less then 10% in heroics using the most optimal handwraps (cannith/ravenloft/trials of archon), it only goes above 10% around 18-20 when there really isnt a handwrap using the new system post trials of the archon wraps. I posted the math + wraps used in another thread somewhere if you really feel like seeing the difference yourself.
    Exactly. Not everyone HAS BiS items, I'm talking about average players, with numbers they have thus tested, myself included. You shouldn't HAVE to have BiS in everything
    to "only" have a 10-25% drop in DPS in heroics. It was an EPIC issue at cap, but the design team thought screwing monks in heroics was a good idea for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellkor View Post
    so this will set things right, at least a little bit, IMO.
    It will have a very predictable result, of demands for nerfs for assassins, and demands for similar insta-kill, while preventing agro-control from ever coming back again.

None of these will be good for DDO.

They just threw assassin into the same design as everyone else, with predictable results: You won't be able to have nice things.
    Last edited by nokowi; 10-30-2018 at 04:19 PM.
    It's much easier to demonize those providing feedback (whining, childish, bringing the forums down, etc) or minimize their voice (small number, vocal, etc) than to accept the fact that the agro/stealth system just missed the mark.
    A good company learns to listen to their customers.

It [U40.2] Assassinate changes have ruined much of the pleasure of playing my Assassins, in one fell swoop. :-(

It's certainly unfortunate that the only prior mention of the potential 'Assassinate changes' seems to have buried in some obscure 'General Discussion' thread relating to the premium feature "Falconry" thread: Falconry bugs since update patch today; [Post #28]. Unsurprising it [Torc's reply] went undetected by me, and many people that don't unhealthily stalk the 'Dev Tracker' posts.

I could be completely wrong but I'm pretty sure there are still more Assassin players than there are people regularly using the Falconry enhancement trees. Had it ever occurred to the DDO Developers many Assassin players were far happier having a greater restriction on what types on monsters they could assassinate? And perhaps preferred to use their Rogue class play skill, to position them self and actually use and apply 'Sneak attack' theory, rather than simply mindlessly walking up to an opponent in plain sight and "1-hitting" it as with [U40.2]?

Community Member

[QUOTE=losian2;6150728]EVERY SINGLE class in the game is at 1(W) at 20 in essence. QUOTE]

Every class in the game isn't meleeing with the same weapon damage, either. My barbarian at TEN, is doing more damage than our monk at 17. By comparison,
    even our rogue at 4, is at a 17-20 x3, and 15-20 x2. A monk can't get an increased spread via weapon until level 14, and he's still way behind. You need to look at a bigger
    picture, than "Oh, they have some extra dice". It's a class feature, that helped monks keep pace with other melee. The ONLY issue was with 29+ raid wraps. That's it.
    Last edited by Nubom70; 10-30-2018 at 08:10 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HuneyMunster View Post
    It does require a lot more player skill to use Assassinate than Finger of Death or Quivering Palm. While sneaking you move a lot slower which often mean failure due to target running off to chase someone else. Both QP an FoD DC's are generally a lot higher especially with no stacks of Measure the Foe or Astral Plane feat. Unlike other death attack its not interrupted by being hit or being missed in combat. The third reason for assassinate failure has been removed which I consider a good thing as the the ability is still interruptible.

I think it might be likely that the decision to allow assassinate to no longer require sneak attack is due to the insane bluff dc's required in legendary content. Its hard to effectively hit sneak followed by bluff and assassinate like you use to be able to before bluff formula was changed a year or two ago. This is the reason why Improved Feint that works great in heroic and lower epics, but starts to become useless towards end game. The only exception for Feint is Reapers whose bluff dc is lower, but you can't bluff pull those due to Tremor Sense. There is just not enough items slots to be able to slot bluff, insightful buff as well as charisma and insightful charisma in combat gear. Even with gear slotted some monsters have over 120 dc to be successfully bluffed.

The AoE damage part Im fine with, but CC is an issue. Assassins get Poison Strikes that are fairly weak except when coupled with Weakening and Deadly Strikes from Tier 4 and 5. The DC's for Poison Strikes are not only poor, but also require vorpal for the good effects with a 6 second cooldown.

Also if you compare Shiv to Exposing Strike and Unbalancing Strike it is potentially inferior to both these, especially Exposing Strike. Shiv 12 sec cooldown no save, Exposing Strike 6 sec CD no save, Unbalancing Strike 6 sec CD (DC 10 + Half Monk Level + Wisdom modifier + Trip modifiers) reflex save.

Venomed Blades is another option that could have an non-helpless Paralysis effect added on crit or vorpal with 3 points spent similar to Paralyzing weapon effects. Or something similar to what Drow in Underdark get which would also work well for the playable Drow race.
    It takes more skill to play an Assassin, not a Rogue with Assassinate. The game might indeed be fast-paced. However, the whole point of this tree and builds that utilize it or abilities of a similar nature is that we have a different playing style. An assassin is an ever vigilant, ever patient foe. He watches you while you eat. He watches you while you sleep. He watches you as you talk with your buds, hug and kiss your wife goodbye, and drive off to work. You might be sitting in your office one day drinking coffee. And then you fall over dead as a door nail.

Where is this aspect of the archetype preserved? Are we assassins just because we can OHK something? I'd say no. There are plenty of different instakill options, and as far as I'm concerned, the biggest asset to an assassin isn't the assassinate ability (even though it's its hallmark), but rather it's ability to kill you and leave no trace. That's why even with the assassinate change, which I and some others agree is unnecessary, assassins aren't in a good place. Assassins won't be in a good place until the situation with monster aggro and behavior is improved.

There is something to be said about knowing our limitations. Even assassins know they can't kill everything. This change takes that aspect largely away from us (yes, I know that bosses and DB/DW monsters can't be instakilled). Now, while bluff isn't too manageable at the higher lvls, there are other means of drawing monsters. And as far as using it while the targets on another player, handling that involves communication (scary...). That wasn't against you, but in all honesty, for anyone reading, if you are in a group, you should be prepared to communicate.

All in all, while the buff to assassinate is a kind gesture, it really does nothing to solve the problems that most who were already using it were already bringing up.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Jumper View Post
    Might as well enjoy it I guess. I presume this is the “solution” to broken stealth mechanics and undoubtedly is all that we will see for a long time.

People with no knowledge/experience will assume this. People will probably TR into rogues to try out the new “OPness” that is the wonders of assassination.

Many will find that since you still have to be in stealth mode to assassinate, it really won’t change much. Trying to assassinate that archer? Well regardless of wether he hits, misses, you dodge/displace/deflect, you will still be taken out of stealth mode. Undoubtedly this will frustrate a lot of new-to-assassin players when they find that they simply can’t both have agro and stealth up to and assassinate a mob at the same time.

Also one of the bigger complaints I’ve heard about assassin is the lack of CC/AoE dmg. This is mainly by design of the class, and obviously nothing has changed.

End result I think it will be a nice benefit to those already experienced with the ability, but those expecting to simply turn to this as the next META shattering build will simply find it likely falls short of their lofty expectations of the new god-build.
    The thing is that most of those with experience in the playstyle were asking for changes to monster behavior and aggro. It's both an unneeded buff and one that doesn't address the main issues.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mellkor View Post
    It is painfully obvious you have not played an assassin. Please go play one and then post your opinions based on actual game play.

I played assassins as my mains for many years then stopped playing them because of the assassinate/stealth issues. Yes stealth issues remain the root cause of the assassinate issues. However, this is a very good change IMO, especially when you consider how much easier and much more often other insta killing classes can insta kill.

Even with this change, assassins are still way behind when it comes to kills per minute compared to other insta killing classes.

-JR
    I agree with the underlined. kills per minute is not an accurate reflection of an assassin.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast