Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Woosified Misery Peak?

First runs of MP since Update. A whole section is missing, fewer mobs, no Dungeon Alert.

Corner Merchants Forums: http://corner-merchants.forumotion.com/

In other words, it has been improved.

I never thought I'd see the day someone would lament the lack of DA in a quest.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post

Especially a Korthos island quest. That insta red DA was challenging on some builds even after playing this game for years.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Armatone View Post
    First runs of MP since Update. A whole section is missing, fewer mobs, no Dungeon Alert.
    Can you describe the part they took out? I ran it fairly recently, and it seemed exactly the same. I would have thought that the obvious piece to cut was the part closer to the end where there are a ton of mobs on an elevated ice shelf, and two doors with even more mobs (mostly casters) standing by levers. That part went to red alert as soon as the first mob saw me.

Was there a time it was slow and difficult O.O? I just go whistling through it every time, annihilating the mobs, heck I gather them as much as possible, make fun of them, then either kill them all or ditch em. Nothing beats running past a stupid archer who is too stupid to chase after you, starts shooting in a rage at the wall, even when you are gone, still shooting that wall "dang it, that wall will pay the price for my failure!!!"
    (DDO PVP PVE 24/7 options options come check us out better then ever!!!) = (+) Sales
    (DDO PVE only, 10k isn't required, no need to TR 150 times, don't worry) = (-) Scary
    Live large, you are awesome, you are here, you are happening! Sincerely, Proton

Bounty Hunter

You ran Misery Peak for challenge? sad.

Default They ought to make Korthos remix!

Wouldn't it be great if they did a remix set of quests where you go back to Korthos and this time it is really really hard! You end up going back to some of the places you did before, only to find they have deeper dungeons beyond some secret door or have been remodelled by the new villain to be far worse. Misery's Peak finally living up to its name as it is filled with ice flenser trash mobs and several dragon fights where the dragon calls upon huge mobs during fight to make it that much more miserable for the players. The only thing making up for the misery of the quest is some great loot that needs further grinding to complete!

I'd love to see a Korthos Island remix for Epics!
    (DDO PVP PVE 24/7 options options come check us out better then ever!!!) = (+) Sales
    (DDO PVE only, 10k isn't required, no need to TR 150 times, don't worry) = (-) Scary
    Live large, you are awesome, you are here, you are happening! Sincerely, Proton

Quote Originally Posted by bracelet View Post
    Can you describe the part they took out? I ran it fairly recently, and it seemed exactly the same. I would have thought that the obvious piece to cut was the part closer to the end where there are a ton of mobs on an elevated ice shelf, and two doors with even more mobs (mostly casters) standing by levers. That part went to red alert as soon as the first mob saw me.
    It was the next to last chamber before the dragon - before the five ghouls. The one with a bunch of zombies.

Actually, I find it to be bit of a challenge and sharpened my playing skills. I just entered my 3rd year of playing.

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    You ran Misery Peak for challenge? sad.
    Challenge? A bit. Favor? yes.

Just entered my 3rd year of playing, so bugger off with your attitude.

You know I can't stand it when you link to other threads that actually don't really provide any additional information.

I just ran Misery's Peak.

It was exactly the same. Nothing cut out at all. I run it almost every life.

Default So let me get this straight...

SSG changes mob pathing, detection, whatever....
    Mobs in misery peak now come at newbies from both doors up top, its a giant clusterbomb, a few of us remark on it on these here forums...devs ignore us.
    Devs say mobs are working fine, everything is great, blah blah blah...the usual.
    Years later, SSG changes Misery Peak to get rid of red alert swarm.

Huh.

Why are mobs alerting and detection screwed up?
    Why doesnt a bolt/arrow in the wall work anymore despite the loadscreen tooltip that says it does?
    Why were mobs that should have stood in place and ranged from platforms running off and reseting right after the data center move/merge?
    why...why.....stealth....

It's all so tiresome.

I dont think anyone at SSG actually knows how to do mob ai. Worse, I dont think they know how to roll back to previous unscrewed up versions.

I only write this because I play this game, and I am passionate about it being a great game, and staying a great game. Over the years, these small, casual changes, and even moar worser, then blatant denial from the powerfull who could fix, have slowly eroded any brains the mobs ever had to begin with.

rant over, kids get off my lawn, i missed my nap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindos View Post
    SSG changes mob pathing, detection, whatever....
    Mobs in misery peak now come at newbies from both doors up top, its a giant clusterbomb, a few of us remark on it on these here forums...devs ignore us.
    Devs say mobs are working fine, everything is great, blah blah blah...the usual.
    Years later, SSG changes Misery Peak to get rid of red alert swarm.

Huh.

Why are mobs alerting and detection screwed up?
    Why doesnt a bolt/arrow in the wall work anymore despite the loadscreen tooltip that says it does?
    Why were mobs that should have stood in place and ranged from platforms running off and reseting right after the data center move/merge?
    why...why.....stealth....

It's all so tiresome.

I dont think anyone at SSG actually knows how to do mob ai. Worse, I dont think they know how to roll back to previous unscrewed up versions.

I only write this because I play this game, and I am passionate about it being a great game, and staying a great game. Over the years, these small, casual changes, and even moar worser, then blatant denial from the powerfull who could fix, have slowly eroded any brains the mobs ever had to begin with.

rant over, kids get off my lawn, i missed my nap.
    Maybe you should check out Misery’s Peak yourself. There were no changes to the quest that I can see. I run this quest nearly every life and just did it today.

How exactly do the deva ignore the thread AND say mobs are working fine? I’m more than willing to grab my pitchfork and join the angry mob but most of your issues are missplaced or to the point where maybe it’s best to take a break and go play a different game or enjoy the real world for a bit.

Korthos quests are intended to introduce new players to the game - it would be appropriate for Misery's Peak to present a challenge to a first life character of a player who had never run the quest, and who was still getting the hang of movement/blocking/dodging/using spells, never mind figuring out what DA even is. Leave the "I need more challenge!" complaints for harbor quests and beyond :P

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by simo0208 View Post
    There were no changes to the quest that I can see.
    I ran thru it last week, and there was a definite change in the big ice room that the dragon walks underneath.
    The group of monsters normally placed on the 2nd story above the exit door was moved to the 1st story and a bit nearer the entrance door.
    The effect was that this groups attacks the moment you walk thru the door.

It is significant because this group normally detects your presence as soon as you enter the 2nd story regardless of which side you enter.
    By engaging the party immediately there is much less active monsters in that room later on.

I usually walk up the first left stair to avoid activating as much monsters as possible, and also try to eliminate any foes I encounter previous to that point to keep alert down.

Other than noticing that, the quest did seem about the same, so I wondered what the changes were about.
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 10-27-2018 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bracelet View Post
    It was the next to last chamber before the dragon - before the five ghouls. The one with a bunch of zombies.
    I was wondering the same thing after reading this post and remembering that they said/posted they did some streamlining. I did notice no DA (except where I purposefully caused it) but like you Bracelet I didn't notice the quest any shorter.

Thank you Armoatone, will now run it again for the sole purpose of looking for this.
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...e-Spiders-Bug?

Here's the thread you guys want. Personally I stopped running misery's peak just after racials came out. Was to bothersome for so little xp.

Bounty Hunter

Challenge? A bit. Favor? yes.

Just entered my 3rd year of playing, so bugger off with your attitude.
    Aggro is completely bugged and that is the reason they changed the quest. I can't imagine that quest was any fun for new players and that is what Korthos is really for - new players. Bugged mechanics is not the same challenge.

It makes all kinds of sense.

1. Manually coding mob behavior for every dungeon takes too much work.
    2. Develop a mass agro system where one mob detecting you alerts all other mobs
    3. Manually adjust every dungeon because mass agro is unintelligent behavior and plays poorly
    4. Profit

It's certainly unfortunate when the time and thought put into older quests is borked by mass agro.

DDO would be more challenging, more sensible, and more engaging if every mob did not run at the first player to be detected like some poorly conceived zergbot.

1. Mob notices one party member
    2. All mobs currently mass agroing that one player instead check for others and pick who they attack.
    3. Engaging play

When different mobs select targets in a different priority, players can't find one best tactic and one best group composition and repeat it through every dungeon in the game.

Throw in a detection range equivalent to when players can see mobs, and let the fun commence.
    Last edited by nokowi; 10-27-2018 at 09:43 PM.
    - inactive player -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast