Default Is there ever going to be an update to add proper UI scaling?

This seems way, way overdue. Has this ever been mentioned in the roadmap?
    -Thelanis-
    Eidur / Essien / Ellsi

Every time a Dev has talked about this, it's always been something they'd "like to do."

There's never been a timetable set for it publicly.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

My guess is it would be a non-trivial trip into the core code of the game.

Leading to the fear of breaking things they didn't even know were connected to that bit of code.

But hey, that's just my impression.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjen View Post
    This seems way, way overdue. Has this ever been mentioned in the roadmap?
    I think the biggest hurdle is actually figureing out just which graphic file goes to which visible section of the screen. You would think the Devs had a handy decoder ring...but....

It can't be that impossible of a task and to me it's a factor that limits new players coming on. The game feels so 2006 because of it and that has to be a turn off for the curious.
    -Thelanis-
    Eidur / Essien / Ellsi

Quote Originally Posted by Arjen View Post
    It can't be that impossible of a task and to me it's a factor that limits new players coming on. The game feels so 2006 because of it and that has to be a turn off for the curious.
    If memory serves, they did it for LotRO a couple (maybe a few?) years ago. Also, if memory serves, it actually was kinda difficult to do. You'd have to go over to the LotRO forums and look it up for more details, though.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Community Member

Dev time is NOT an unlimited resource. Would you rather see major bug fixes and new content or see that time spent updating the ui?

Personally id rather see my 9.95/ month go to be content than prettying up a ui that while dated, functions fine.

I dont know jack about how much time/effort and most importantly, risk of breaking other things is involved in updating the ui, but i do know that if it was an easy risk free thing to do, they would have done it by now.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by spyder7723 View Post
    Dev time is NOT an unlimited resource. Would you rather see major bug fixes and new content or see that time spent updating the ui?

Personally id rather see my 9.95/ month go to be content than prettying up a ui that while dated, functions fine.

I dont know jack about how much time/effort and most importantly, risk of breaking other things is involved in updating the ui, but i do know that if it was an easy risk free thing to do, they would have done it by now.
    As a new player I think “wow! This game is great but what’s with the ancient and non scaling ui?”.

First impressions of any kind can make or break a deal, whether it’s a game subscription or a Job offer. I’m running two 4K monitors and the game is pretty beautiful but the ui interface itself is now hindering the experience. I have to sqwint and grab my reading glasses to fugure out what potion is the bear potion as example. It’s a real bummer. And I get that resources are not infinite, and really this should have been addressed years ago from what I can understand.. Now, not sure the dev investment is worth it cause the game is so old and probably sliding at this point from lack of investment. Though imo this is a very cool game and could have new life if revitalized properly. Just my take and observations.

Quote Originally Posted by spyder7723 View Post

Even if i wasn't playing with multiple 4k screens i would still pay a tenner for a cosmetic pack that has this ui 4k update, assuming they throw in a mirror of glammering and a recolored cosmetic pet.

I run multiple 4k displays and having to bend foreward to read the chat is anoying as #€_&.

It would help so much if the chat and hotbar icons would size up.
    Knowing they have to go through thousands of hotbar icons and find/make a better version, it makes sense they put this on the long term to do list, however, how hard would it be to resize just the chat?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

Quote Originally Posted by lyrecono View Post
    Even if i wasn't playing with multiple 4k screens i would still pay a tenner for a cosmetic pack that has this ui 4k update, assuming they throw in a mirror of glammering and a recolored cosmetic pet.

I run multiple 4k displays and having to bend foreward to read the chat is anoying as #€_&.

It would help so much if the chat and hotbar icons would size up.
    Knowing they have to go through thousands of hotbar icons and find/make a better version, it makes sense they put this on the long term to do list, however, how hard would it be to resize just the chat?
    Just saying, you can resize the Chat font.

The UI scaling would be nice though. Along with fixing Custom UI Skins. All I see everyone complaining about End Game content. I'd rather spend a couple of months on them updating the game and fix the bugs. A lot of other games on the market are releasing "Patch Weeks", where they just go in fixing things that are Broken/Outdated/Etc. I'd like to see this from DDO, rather than see the next "Biggest/Baddest" content. We have enough content to get to cap and repeat. Unless they plan to expand level cap, some of these "Patch Weeks" things would be nice. (I know DDO doesn't update Weekly, it's just a terminology)

Old thread, would like to see something done about this asap. I wont be returning to the game until i can see the ui on 4k display.

Its almost 2020 come on ddo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue_Trapper View Post
    Just saying, you can resize the Chat font.

The UI scaling would be nice though. Along with fixing Custom UI Skins. All I see everyone complaining about End Game content. I'd rather spend a couple of months on them updating the game and fix the bugs. A lot of other games on the market are releasing "Patch Weeks", where they just go in fixing things that are Broken/Outdated/Etc. I'd like to see this from DDO, rather than see the next "Biggest/Baddest" content. We have enough content to get to cap and repeat. Unless they plan to expand level cap, some of these "Patch Weeks" things would be nice. (I know DDO doesn't update Weekly, it's just a terminology)
    The chat sizing isn't enough for 4k. Epecially multiple 4k screens (and i'm considering 8k.....)
    As for content, that has been going down the drain for a whille now due to the devs lazy coding and ballancing.
    Take a look at Sharn.
    The loot and content is looking like a rushed copy past con job so far.
    Uninspired is what i would call it.

So i rather see a cosmetic facelift done on the ui so we can keep playing the content they haven't screwed up.
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.