Community Member

Default build request: fighter that can leap and/or charge at mobs

I play 'wow' on the side and really love the 'Warrior' class because it can Leap and it can charge to close distance with casters and stun them, knock-em down. Also I like getting 4-6 monsters/kobolds all around me and slaying them down.

Is there a build out there, that is fun like this, that can handle content and crank out DPS? Thinking doing adventure packs, dungeons (solo me + a healer hireling).

Community Member

The Vanguard enhancement tree (available to fighters and paladins) has Shield Rush (minimum 12th level),
    Bear druids can get Bear Charge ehnancement (12th), Wolf druids can get Snowslide spell (17th).

Dire Charge is an epic feat that does what you want, and is available to all classes (but not until level 29).

Community Member

There is no equivalent ability to leap or charge in ddo, the closest would be Dire Charge but that is an epic feat which is not class specific and requires level 29. You can play a 2 handed weapon fighter with cleaves to run into groups and cleave them down but you will have to run into combat. DDO tends to focus more on your characters basic attacks as the primary source of damage output as opposed to wow where the primary damage your character does comes from abilities you use.

Edit: to clarify while I hadn't been aware of shield rush and I'm not entirely sure how it works the difference between snowslide and charge is that charge quickly brings your character to a specific enemy, stunning it while snowslide is directional and moves your character by a fixed amount freezing enemies along your path.
    Last edited by Hamagawi; 10-12-2018 at 12:03 AM.

Community Member

Editing my previous post isn't working, but I wanted to add that Vanguard also has Shield Charge available at 6th level.

A basic Charge ability really should be added to most/all melee classes at level 1, like trip/sunder. It's part of PnP. Nothing fancy, no extra [w]s or aoe or anything. Just require a target in range so it's not a wings/free movement speed booster.

It's not uncommon for melees to feel frustrated that "ranged characters kill everything" before they can get into range. This should've been added a long time ago.

Community Member

Thanks for pointer to "shield charge" that seems pretty good.

To share googling around I also found:

Cleric gets "feral charge" at 14 if spec'd into it
    and
    Favored soul gets "Leap of faith" at level 17 if you spec into it.

so I suppose there are options you can eventually earn.

Any 2h weapon setups that allow charge? or leap suppose some multi-class with cleric or favored maybe? thinking 'The Hulk' 'me smash' barbarian, fighter/wow warrior mentality.
    Last edited by silvarstar; 10-12-2018 at 08:22 AM.

Just to help round out the options:
    Monks get abundant step at level 12, powered by Ki
    Anyone in exalted angel destiny can get access to the FvS wings
    dragonborn can get a leap ability in tier 4 of their racial enhancement tree
    shadar-kai get shadow jaunt as the 4th racial core enhancement, with the 5th one reducing the cooldown to 30sec

You can also get missile-toe consumables as a seasonal thing in the store... wouldn't recommend them for general use, the price could mount up quickly, but I like to pick up a load & keep a handful on characters that don't have leaps through any other means, to help get through particularly nasty traps etc.

Dragonborn can potentially get it at the earliest point, though it'd require a total of 17 APs in the racial line - so a few levels with nothing elsewhere unless you've got a whole lot of extra racial APs from past lives
    Last edited by FuzzyDuck81; 10-12-2018 at 08:32 AM.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

There is also a charge that Thief Acrobats (quarter-staff wielders) get at Tier 4, "Staff Lunge'.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Thief-Acroba...ents#Tier_Four

Quote Originally Posted by btolson View Post
    A basic Charge ability really should be added to most/all melee classes at level 1, like trip/sunder. It's part of PnP...
    "Bull Rush" iirc. To push enemies back, something like a Str vs. Size roll.

The Nature's Warrior enhancement go for the kill does a charge with a knock down at the end, it is for wolf form druids.

However for what you seem to want to play I would recommend barbarian focusing in frenzied berzerker and dabbling in occult slayer. For feats the power attack cleave great cleave line of feats and the two handed weapon fighting line of feats combined with your choice of improved critical. Frenzied berzerker will not have a charge but will have sprint boost for 20 seconds per use of very fast running, and two extra cleave attacks one of which (tantrum) causes a aoe knock down. Barbarians have the advantage of being very easy to heal for your hired medic and after level 12 can have some self healing.

For weapon choice I would generally say look for falchions but with night revels currently on the great club from there is a very handy weapon for heroic two handed weapon fighters. Be sure and snag a level 4 one if you can and a level 12 one and craft a ghost bane augment or three to slot into them.
    Last edited by Jetrule; 10-13-2018 at 02:22 PM.
    Percivaul Dusol, BadRandall and Shortpact--The Silver Legion

Quote Originally Posted by silvarstar View Post
    Any 2h weapon setups that allow charge? or leap suppose some multi-class with cleric or favored maybe? thinking 'The Hulk' 'me smash' barbarian, fighter/wow warrior mentality.
    A rouge with a quarterstaff can get staff lunge from the acrobat enhancement tree.
    Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.
    - My opinion on exploiters and cheaters blaming SSG for unfair punishment.

There is also Spring Attack which doesn't have a charge component to it but which does fit in with your 'gather up and kill them all at once' desire. It does has some drawbacks that others would be better able to share with you than I as it has been a few years and a lot of changes since I used the ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    Yngvarr Stormedge: Aye, laddie. Aye. That be a mighty fine pooop deck.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    "Bull Rush" iirc. To push enemies back, something like a Str vs. Size roll.
    Charge in PnP is move double your speed in a straight line and then perform a basic attack with +2 to-hit and suffer -2 ac.

Later on in the upper epic levels, you can get the feat "dire charge". You charge forward and stun the mobs.
    But it requires building up some of the epic destinies.
    The Fockers of Argo
    Fuglymofo; LOOON; Hobaggin; Fuglyrobo; Buttscracher; Whoaa, Fuglytincan, Fuglychan

Charge in PnP is move double your speed in a straight line and then perform a basic attack with +2 to-hit and suffer -2 ac.
    That's not what the OP is talking about. No "knock down" w/ a basic D&D charge.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    That's not what the OP is talking about. No "knock down" w/ a basic D&D charge.
    Yes, but similar to how certain classes can improve on the basic charge (esp in 4e), one can imagine the same would be true in DDO. Additional feats or enhancements in some class trees could grant it extra damage, extra distance, a knockdown, AoE, etc.

Even minus any of that though, a basic charge should exist for melees in DDO.

2016 DDO Players Council
    Resident Blue Dragon

Here's some abilities that have a "charge" motion without damage:

• Leap of Faith - 17th level Favored Soul (Also in the Exalted Angel Epic Destiny)
    • Abundant Step - 12th level Monk
    • Shadow Jaunt - 4th core Shadar-kai
    • Wind Dance - 5th Tier Air Savant Sorcerer
    • Vault - 5th Tier Thief-Acrobat Rogue
    • Misty Escape - 15th level Fey Warlock

There's also the Cannith Boots of Propulsion which any character can wear, but it has a long (10 min) cool-down.

Here's some that do damage in addition to the charge/leap effect:

• Shield Charge - 4th Tier Vanguard Paladin/Fighter (must have an enemy targeted)
    • Shield Rush - 5th Tier Vanguard Paladin/Fighter
    • Bear Charge - 5th Tier Nature's Protector Druid
    • Flyby Attack - Draconic Incarnation Epic Destiny
    • Snowslide - 9th level Druid spell
    • Feral Charge - 14th level Cleric with Animal Domain
    • Dire Charge - 29th level anything (must have an enemy targeted)

Of the stuff above, everything has a knockdown/stun effect of some sort I think except for Shield Charge. It's also worth noting that everything in both lists can be used to leap across gaps except for Shield Charge and Dire Charge. Obviously some of the things listed are not going to be very useful for a Fighter, but I think it's a fairly complete list. If I'm forgetting anything, someone will correct me I'm sure.

Of the above abilities, I used Shadow Jaunt on a Shadar-kai Barbarian that I made once, and I enjoyed it a lot. I used it to get into the middle of a group, and cleaved my way to victory. I have a feeling something like that is more what you're looking for. If that's the case, you should know that Dire Charge doesn't have an effect for swinging a weapon. Your character just sort of throws out this energy and nearby enemies get stunned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Wise fwom ur gwave.

Even minus any of that though, a basic charge should exist for melees in DDO.
    That would be nice. I very much like the way that Shield Charge in Vanguard works. But that requires Fighter or Paladin 4 and it is a Tier 4 ability so a pretty solid commitment to the tree. And it requires a shield. But the basic mechanics are great and mirror the PnP charge quite closely: you are moved to toe-to-toe range with your target and deliver a stronger than normal attack at the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    Yngvarr Stormedge: Aye, laddie. Aye. That be a mighty fine pooop deck.