Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    It's quite horrifying to see people advocating an increase in collectable costs for Cannith Crafting, even for the gain of scaling shards. Has a definite whiff of Stockholm Syndrome to it.

If any more work was going to be done on this crafting system, I'd suggest three more useful changes. The first would be a large reduction in collectable costs, making the system more useful to new players and to others who don't want to spend their time on the most gratuitous grind in the game. Talk about grind existing just for its own sake.

The second is relaxing the restrictions on which effects can go where on items, so there's more flexibility with what we can craft. That would do a lot to even out the way some item types are so lacking in useful effects compared to others and extend the usefulness of the system.

The third is give us a way to craft augments slots onto item blanks, preferably without a huge collectable cost because reasons. Being able to add one or even two would be great, but failing that add a craftable trinket with a green slot to the DDO Store.

Thanks.
    This is spot on. Also, I would add things like Legendary Green Steel items or higher tier Thunderforged items. If you weren't playing the game when this content dropped you can pretty much forget ever getting any LGS stuff. The raid is run so infrequently and the drop rates for the ingredients is so low that I never consider even thinking about an LGS item in any of my set ups. That goes for heroic green steel too, but that you can farm on a high level toon...

It's quite horrifying to see people advocating an increase in collectable costs for Cannith Crafting, even for the gain of scaling shards. Has a definite whiff of Stockholm Syndrome to it.

If any more work was going to be done on this crafting system, I'd suggest three more useful changes. The first would be a large reduction in collectable costs, making the system more useful to new players and to others who don't want to spend their time on the most gratuitous grind in the game. Talk about grind existing just for its own sake.

The second is relaxing the restrictions on which effects can go where on items, so there's more flexibility with what we can craft. That would do a lot to even out the way some item types are so lacking in useful effects compared to others and extend the usefulness of the system.

The third is give us a way to craft augments slots onto item blanks, preferably without a huge collectable cost because reasons. Being able to add one or even two would be great, but failing that add a craftable trinket with a green slot to the DDO Store.

Thanks.
    I quite disagree. Cannith Crafting should not be the main go to avenue for gearing for everyone all the time. Its already a system that allows you to craft great stuff in some quantities. I have crafted at least 50 items and I am far from the most active player. If you make it much easier AND more flexible you might as well not have random or named loot from level 1 to 25 except for a few exceptional items - because then everyone would be using CC all the time in almost all slots.
    Last edited by mikarddo; 10-12-2018 at 12:42 PM.
    Danskerne
    Et dansktalende guild på Ghallanda. Send PM, hvis du er interesseret.

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    I quite disagree. Cannith Crafting should not be the main go to avenue for gearing for everyone all the time. Its already a system that allows you to craft great stuff in some quantities. I have crafted at least 50 items and I am far from the most active player. If you make it much easier AND more flexible you might as well not have random or named loot from level 1 to 25 except for a few exceptional items - because then everyone would be using CC all the time in almost all slots.
    Really, at level 5 I use the Abishi 5 piece set, at 8 I use a bunch of Slaver's stuff and at 10 I fill it out with Ravenloft stuff and only swap out a couple CC items all the way to 20. If not reducing the required materials, some way to trade collectables for others would be super helpful.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Y'know, I'm going to start off by saying...why are people so hard set against making the game more accessible? I mean I get this "I got mine so screw you" attitude that many long time vets have in regards to things like gear, PL's, etc...but if they were to tomorrow announce all dungeon packs are now 100% free, they are removing the extra xp required for 2nd lives+, epic lives can now be attained once you have max karma and no longer need you to be level 30, all crafted items now scale to whatever level you're at, etc...

I'd be jumping for joy. I would love it. And I say this as someone with something like 300+ past lives, gear every 6 levels for 5 different builds, own all the content, etc...

Doing something like this would draw in new players and I want more people to play with. I don't care what I've already done. I've already done it. I want new people to play with. How about we try growing the game?

Cannith Crafting being largely inaccessible to new players is one of those things that needs to be changed to be more newbie friendly.

Anyways...

But in practice you never have a relatively uniform distribution of such collectibles and will find yourself having enough T1, T2, T4+, but you need like, 74 T3 rares given your idea. So you can either spend two weeks farming T3 or just realize you'll never be able to partake of such a system because one of the rares is just more rare than rare.

Honestly if you were to do such a thing just have the scaling shard cost like 10k Cannith Essence. It's non-specific, can farm it in a myriad of ways and they're a commodity that's easy to understand and sell on the AH.

The idea is moot anyways. DDO items don't support scaling like this.
    Have it cost 500 brass censors. I need to get rid of those ****ing things somehow.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    Why is this a problem? If the devs can't manage to make rare drop named items better than what can be crafted, then why shouldn't crafted items be the go-to items for leveling? (Some games do just this specifically to encourage an active crafting and barter economy). If devs do make rare drop named items better (see Ravenloft items with set bonuses, Age of Madness items, etc), then cannith items won't be the main go to avenue for anyone who has played enough to acquire those items.

I think the ideas in this thread are great, and I feel confident in that feeling because I know full well that multiple MMOs not only have this type of concept, but they make these types of items freely available! EQ has gear like this that drops off random trash mobs (equivalent of junk loot chests in DDO). WoW has gear like this that you can get darn near for free if you have enough faction with your guild, and that gear also gives free +exp master's gift like effects for wearing it while leveling up. Both of those games put all of the necessary and relevant stats for the classes that would wear that type of armor on each of the pieces so you don't even have to screw around with the massive jiggsaw puzzle that is "how do I fit the 25 affixes I need into 24 affix slots given that each affix can only fit into a subset of 3-5 slots depending on the item type and slot type?

Community Member

Thanks.
    - I don't mind the collectable system per se. I just want to see it simplified. Remove multiple items within the same tier and type. Then either remove tiers entirely like cultural collectables are, or allow higher tier mats to sub (or have a trader npc letting you swap down 1:1). I hate how you need to cheese low level quests on epic chars to get mats for making epic level gear.

- I get why certain affixes are slot restricted, but yeah they could open it up a little more. Especially complementary affixes like power/lore/insightful power for casters or skill/stat/ins skill

- I'm actually ok with the status quo here...makes base items with slots worth something. We need craftable trinkets besides the shard of power in game though.

Smile Not a new idea but a good idea anyhow...

Personally, I got the idea that DDO needs items that scale with your character level like 6-7 years ago as I was going to farm Cannith Challange Items in the different ML versions.
    Since then I suggested this many times because I'm simply convinced that this simply the better system how items should work in DDO but you cannot even expect any reaction from a developer for this question.
    The main argument against it is that you are allegedly much faster done with your items, even if this is obviously not true because you are only able to use an item set you plan to use at level 28-30 (depending on the ML of your items) already in lvl 1.
    Anyway even if you could have in my opinion such scaling item effect on any item in DDO, at least it should exist on items where you have such scaling effects already now available.
    Therefore there is not a single good argument against scaling items for Cannith Crafting or items from Crystal Cove or Night Revels who came in up to 7 different versions for the different ML anyway.
    And you will most likely get no developer statement against this because there is basically no logical argument against this besides the fact that it is work to impllement such kind of new items.
    "Act according to a maxim which can be adopted at the same time as a universal law."
    -Immanuel Kant-

"Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has."
    -René Descartes-

Quote Originally Posted by Zretch View Post
    Why is this a problem? If the devs can't manage to make rare drop named items better than what can be crafted, then why shouldn't crafted items be the go-to items for leveling? (Some games do just this specifically to encourage an active crafting and barter economy). If devs do make rare drop named items better (see Ravenloft items with set bonuses, Age of Madness items, etc), then cannith items won't be the main go to avenue for anyone who has played enough to acquire those items.

I think the ideas in this thread are great, and I feel confident in that feeling because I know full well that multiple MMOs not only have this type of concept, but they make these types of items freely available! EQ has gear like this that drops off random trash mobs (equivalent of junk loot chests in DDO). WoW has gear like this that you can get darn near for free if you have enough faction with your guild, and that gear also gives free +exp master's gift like effects for wearing it while leveling up. Both of those games put all of the necessary and relevant stats for the classes that would wear that type of armor on each of the pieces so you don't even have to screw around with the massive jiggsaw puzzle that is "how do I fit the 25 affixes I need into 24 affix slots given that each affix can only fit into a subset of 3-5 slots depending on the item type and slot type?
    In EQ1/WOW leveling up is less than 5% of the time the game is played by most - of course such games dont want the players to worry about gear for that part. Much unlike DDO. Besides, you obviously dont need to fit all 25 affixes into your gear while leveling even if its nice - only really at cap if even that - which you obviously know already

I like that DDO makes it hard to fit gear well not to speak of perfectly, I dont really want that reduced. Much like I like that DDO makes it hard to build well and very possibly to build badly which I also dont want to see reduced. Not that I am terribly good at building but I like that its possible.
    Danskerne
    Et dansktalende guild på Ghallanda. Send PM, hvis du er interesseret.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12