Default Heavy Armor Prof on a Barbarian?

Does wearing heavy armor (with proficiency feat) mess up any barbarian abilities?

My standard THF Ravager/Berzerker dwarf barbarian is sitting at level 23. Returning to DDO at the beginning of 2018, I don't have any spectacular armor yet, and have been using the old medium armor versions of the Cavalry Plate. I had planned to take Stunning Blow at level 24, but am now wondering about Heavy Armor Proficiency in order to use the new Cavalry Plate. Although it's dumb to take a feat based on a single, specific piece of equipment, I might enjoy this armor until I ETR and respec out of that feat. Hopefully by then I'll have some decent medium armor.
    "Swords will cut you wide open!" - Trip Fisk

o http://ddowiki.com/page/Barbarian
    o http://ddowiki.com/page/Enhancements

Those links, plus [ctl+f], should easily answer your questions (and via a similar process, most future ones).

I have no idea off the top of my head, but the only thing I found was this:

o http://ddowiki.com/page/Greater_Rage

You don't get the +10 PRR from Greater Rage, but that's offset by the inherent PRR from Heavy Armor.

That said, if you have 10 Restored Giant Relics lying about, the Restored Giantcraft Breastplate is ML:23 and has some decent DPS boosts attached to it:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Restore...ft_Breastplate
    Things worthy of Standing Stone going EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on.:
    • NEW - Setting Unarmed Strike back to what it was and attacking the real problem: Reinforced Fists items.
    • Fix the flipping non-proficiency penalties for Bear and Wolf wildshapes!
    • Redoing the drop rates of tomes in generic and raid loot tables.
    • Keep Lynnabel on task with updating the remaining legacy named loot to not suck.
    • Tiering the Runearms so that artificers aren’t screwed out of the advantages of Cannith Crafting in Epic levels on their signature item.
    • Finishing the enhancement tree passes (including racial PrE’s) before rolling out yet another DDOStore™ Enhancement Tree.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumFX View Post
    You don't get the +10 PRR from Greater Rage, but that's offset by the inherent PRR from Heavy Armor.
    Right, though the tradeoff is higher MDB on medium armor which means a higher Dodge score. So: better damage mitigation vs fewer hits. I think I would prefer the latter, but YMMV.

Alternatively: medium armor + Greater Rage bonus + Epic DR is a net gain of +5 PRR over heavy armor proficency alone while keeping higher MDB. Though naturally you could take heavy armor prof + epic DR if you're really trying to max out your PRR, but that seems excessive.

In the end, it depends on which named armor(s) you plan to equip. E.g., if you're planning to use the Silent Avenger set which only comes on light armor (Mist-Laden Vestment), then heavy armor prof is a wasted feat.

EDIT: another easy-to-farm ML:23-ish medium armor is Leaves of the Forest.
    Last edited by unbongwah; 09-22-2018 at 01:59 PM.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

no, heavy armor won't break anything. but my advice is go medium for more dodge cap while having almost the same prr and saving a feat.
    Server: Cannith

Guild Forum: La Santa Alleanza

Thanks for the feedback! (I had also completely forgotten about [ctrl+f], so thanks for that as well!)

Although I don't have access to Leaves of the Forest yet (need to buy pack), I do have access to Restored Giantcraft Breastplate and the old medium armor version of the ML24 Cavalry Plate. The new heavy armor ML24 and ML28 Cavalry Plate is what's tempting me, with the extra HP, saves, DR, and the 120 temp HP guard. If I read the DDO Wiki correctly, the proc rate on the 120 temp HP is 20%?

I'm feat-starved as a dwarf barbarian, so spending a precious feat on heavy armor prof does seem a bit wasteful.

This is the character's first run through epics and he has an epic greater learning tome, so his goal right now is to unlock/cap destinies and ETR quickly. As a damage mitigation experiment, I'll try the heavy Cavalry Plate during this run to level 30; and will pick up good medium armor to use in epic lives thereafter. I'm curious to see how the combination of barbarian DR, PRR, Cav Plate DR, Cav Plate temp HP, I Like Pain, and Blood Strength work together to offset incoming damage.
    "Swords will cut you wide open!" - Trip Fisk

I think Thunder-Forged heavy armor is worth spending a feat on, but I wouldn't take Heavy Armor proficiency to wear anything else. It's ML 28 so if you do want to wear it you can wait until later to take/swap in the feat if you choose to.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleTimb View Post
    I think Thunder-Forged heavy armor is worth spending a feat on, but I wouldn't take Heavy Armor proficiency to wear anything else. It's ML 28 so if you do want to wear it you can wait until later to take/swap in the feat if you choose to.
    Yeah; maybe that works for you; doesn't seem worth it to me.

Noworries on the other hand does seem worth it to spend a feat on for me; at least at low levels. Or possibly (heroic) executioner's plate mail. By high-heroics barb enhancements make medium=heavy armor with higher dodge cap (aka better) but you can argue named items either way. In epics medium armor seems superior to heavy for barbs in the majority of cases because dodge becomes more important and AC less important, and a lot of the endgame medium armors are just as good as the endgame heavy armors.
    Selvera: Half elf Fvs 20; Healer archer with a bit more of a damage build then usual
    Jen: Half Elf Fvs 20/Epic 10; Healer Archer with a more supportive build then usual
    Mayve: Tiefling Sorc 16; Just a pastlife for an alt

Community Member

Im almost done with a barb life, going to end up as 16 barb/2 fighter while banking XP. I took the first fighter level at 4 for early access to great cleave and fighter at 8 for early access to improved crit. Main reason I did the split was to get bonus feats and be able to use the cavalry plate from the crystal cove event instead of trying to farm a full set of named medium armor to level a barb.

It worked better than I thought it would...early access to cleaves makes leveling a breeze and the armor saved me a lot of slots as it had false life and saves on one piece of gear. The DR also makes you immune to most non-champs that deal physical damage...room full of archers plinking away at me is usually 0 damage. The main drawback was the max dodge cap....3% with guild buffs, although I used 4 AP in the stalwart tree to increase it up to 6%. But since I had no dex tomes, my dex wasnt high enough for med armor anyway.

But its just amazing how much tankier 2H barbs are compared to 2H paladins when leveling in heroics. All that extra hp and heal amp in core enhancements is ridiculous. At level 17, I have something like 700 hp when raging, 110 heal amp (30 from paladin past lives), 65 AC and my lowest save is reflexes at +25. My paladin had higher saves, but nowhere near the same amount of HP or damage. Pretty much the only thing that can kill me are champ spellcasters or the ridiculous umber hulks in "Search and Rescue" that hit for 100+ damage when they aren't even champs. I even managed to solo the Animatic in "Good Intentions" when the rest of the party wiped and i had no healer. Dont even have access to any ravenloft gear or epic past lives either.

Since im going to TR at 20, the capstone doesnt matter to me and it looks like most builds assume you are going into epics. A fighter split probably wouldnt be a good idea if you wanted to do epics, but if you just want to TR at 20 for a barb past life, it will work fine.

It's kinda lost battle because these boards seems to be obsessed with pointless splashes but I'd strongly suggest not to splash martial ( or any class for that matter but that's for different thread ) classes, especially for heroics only.

You simply lose or delay way more than you "get".

Shahang (hjeal me), Wipekin (tempest), Nezhat (barbie) Ghallanda/Devourer

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wipey View Post
    It's kinda lost battle because these boards seems to be obsessed with pointless splashes but I'd strongly suggest not to splash martial ( or any class for that matter but that's for different thread ) classes, especially for heroics only.

You simply lose or delay way more than you "get".
    I'm one of those who are guilty for advocating for and choosing splashes (although I'd like to think I avoid the pointless variety). The reason is that immediate pay-off now, for a cost that you pay later. It's true that those higher tier/core enhancements exceed any benefits I don't want to wait! Or to put it more rationally, I can level faster through the lower levels and I get to enjoy the benefits of that splash for a longer period of time (assuming one takes the splash early). Besides, Question2005's point that he isn't going to benefit from the level 20 Barbarian core makes later access to higher level Barbarian abilities more of a personal preference or play-style choice than a bad choice.

But, to be fair to your point, I rarely do pure builds, so maybe I need to do them more to truly appreciate the argument you're making.
    "I didn't change my mind, It changed all by itself" – Luna