Community Member

Default DDO store and Linux

Hi everyone!

So, I'm returning after about half a year absence. I'm playing using Wine (If you want to say "dual-boot" please, I know. There are good reasons why I need to use Wine specifically) and a standard launcher (if PyLoTRO is still a thing and could help, that I can switch.)

I can't open the DDO store, it opens to a blank window. I remembered there was an old thread with a workaround, but there's no longer "legacy client" option in the launcher, editing the .ini file manually seems to do nothing, and just copying the file over simply causes the launcher to re-download the non-Awesomium version over it.

I tried to use different versions of Wine (I use playOnLinux) and tried to set the Windows ver Wine reports to XP, with no effect.

So, is the store gone on Linux, or is there a way to make it work?

Community Member

Default any progress here?

Hello i would like to know if anyone have found anything out about this problem, since i, and alot of my friends, are also using linux to play, and we would like to spend more of our money..

Quote Originally Posted by 3dent View Post
    Hi everyone!

So, I'm returning after about half a year absence. I'm playing using Wine (If you want to say "dual-boot" please, I know. There are good reasons why I need to use Wine specifically) and a standard launcher (if PyLoTRO is still a thing and could help, that I can switch.)

I can't open the DDO store, it opens to a blank window. I remembered there was an old thread with a workaround, but there's no longer "legacy client" option in the launcher, editing the .ini file manually seems to do nothing, and just copying the file over simply causes the launcher to re-download the non-Awesomium version over it.

I tried to use different versions of Wine (I use playOnLinux) and tried to set the Windows ver Wine reports to XP, with no effect.

So, is the store gone on Linux, or is there a way to make it work?

Community Member

Many moons ago i was on a real pc like you are currently. I remember the DDO store took some time to open - might have been as much as two minutes - but eventually it would open. The only reason i am using windows is i have some programs that only run on that. But as a friend once said linux is for work windows is for gaming... Sorry i can't assist you further.
    Check out my website for calculating DPS and damage mitigation: http://mmlddo.com

Community Member

I have had the store mostly working with Ubuntu versions 16.04 and 18.04. Possibly some older ones as well, but I can't remember those terribly well. I just run it with Wine on default settings. Notably, I am not using PlayonLinux. That might be your problem? Not an expert.

I do get get a freeze that warrants a reboot if I open the store with DDO in full screen mode. No problems if I open it in the windowed mode, although it does load fairly slowly. I'm not sure if that will help you since we seem to be having different problems, but it might be worth giving it a try.

Community Member

Default Works just fine for me

Hm, funny - it's working just fine for me.
    And I mean, tested less than a minute ago, with the builtin-store version - store opened in seconds.

I do have the "Use Legacy Client" option available, last time I tried the external browser store interface worked too. There is a bit of a problem in that the checkbox's checkmark doesn't show even when it's active, in the launcher options ;-)

I've got client version 2600.0047.0064.4142 / build date 4/24/18 according to launcher's "about" box, XUbuntu 16.04.5 LTS, wine-devel 3.16.0~xenial ... and at least 6 years' worth of customizations and upgrades in ~/.wine but most of that is for other applications...... I was playing DDO in Linux on this thing already with Ubuntu 12.04, hardware is a laptop from ~2008 (though an expensive model when new - I bought it used in 2012) except I replaced the disk last year or so with a bigger one, still spinning rust though.
    Last edited by mna; 09-23-2018 at 06:21 PM.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of a few more DDO players.

Community Member

Thanks everyone for the replies.

And yes, I use Ubuntu Studio 18.04 (which is based on xubuntu) with the stock Wine (3.0) for non-playonlinux stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mna View Post
    Hm, funny - it's working just fine for me.
    And I mean, tested less than a minute ago, with the builtin-store version - store opened in seconds.

I do have the "Use Legacy Client" option available, last time I tried the external browser store interface worked too. There is a bit of a problem in that the checkbox's checkmark doesn't show even when it's active, in the launcher options ;-)

I've got client version 2600.0047.0064.4142 / build date 4/24/18 according to launcher's "about" box, XUbuntu 16.04.5 LTS, wine-devel 3.16.0~xenial ... and at least 6 years' worth of customizations and upgrades in ~/.wine but most of that is for other applications...... I was playing DDO in Linux on this thing already with Ubuntu 12.04, hardware is a laptop from ~2008 (though an expensive model when new - I bought it used in 2012) except I replaced the disk last year or so with a bigger one, still spinning rust though.
    Are you sure you do have that checkbox right now? (checkmark not appearing is an old Wine issue, but I have the entire checkbox missing.)

The old trick of launching using PyLOTRO and renaming the dndclient_awesomium.exe to dndclient.exe still works for me but the fact that the standard launcher doesn't even show me the checkbox (like it used to) made me a bit paranoid about that method, I thought awesomium client might be no longer supported at all, and it's some older version...

It's not wine version or playonlinux (I configured PyLOTRO to use system Wine and wineprefix and it's exactly the same as far as store behaviour is concerned.) I suspect it has something to do with DDO expecting explorer.exe to handle web URLs (which stock Wine explorer.exe doesn't) I can see DDO attempting to launch it in the Wine process list... I didn't thoroughly check if windowed/fullscreen makes any difference, but it didn't seem to.

Anyway, I can live with the renamed client workaround (as long as it won't trip up some anti-cheating ban or whatever...) but if anyone has any other ideas on how to make the non-awesomium store to work, I'd be grateful.

Community Member

Thanks everyone for the replies.

And yes, I use Ubuntu Studio 18.04 (which is based on xubuntu) with the stock Wine (3.0) for non-playonlinux stuff.

Are you sure you do have that checkbox right now? (checkmark not appearing is an old Wine issue, but I have the entire checkbox missing.)
    Yeah, pretty sure... let's see if I can get a screenshot up... there?

... oh well, doesn't show a distinctly Linux desktop but anyway.

The old trick of launching using PyLOTRO and renaming the dndclient_awesomium.exe to dndclient.exe still works for me but the fact that the standard launcher doesn't even show me the checkbox (like it used to) made me a bit paranoid about that method, I thought awesomium client might be no longer supported at all, and it's some older version...

It's not wine version or playonlinux (I configured PyLOTRO to use system Wine and wineprefix and it's exactly the same as far as store behaviour is concerned.) I suspect it has something to do with DDO expecting explorer.exe to handle web URLs (which stock Wine explorer.exe doesn't) I can see DDO attempting to launch it in the Wine process list... I didn't thoroughly check if windowed/fullscreen makes any difference, but it didn't seem to.

Anyway, I can live with the renamed client workaround (as long as it won't trip up some anti-cheating ban or whatever...) but if anyone has any other ideas on how to make the non-awesomium store to work, I'd be grateful.
    The external browser open is a fairly well-known but annoyingly complicated trick with Winebrowser. That's what I did ... some years ago... and like I said, quite recently (as in this summer) I was able to switch between versions with the checkbox and either worked.

There's one short writeup on that procedure at http://www.webupd8.org/2010/03/how-t...s-in-your.html
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of a few more DDO players.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by mna View Post
    Yeah, pretty sure... let's see if I can get a screenshot up... there?
    ... oh well, doesn't show a distinctly Linux desktop but anyway.

The external browser open is a fairly well-known but annoyingly complicated trick with Winebrowser. That's what I did ... some years ago... and like I said, quite recently (as in this summer) I was able to switch between versions with the checkbox and either worked.

There's one short writeup on that procedure at http://www.webupd8.org/2010/03/how-t...s-in-your.html
    Thanks, so there should be an option. So, I guess the interesting question is why my launcher doesn't have it and ignores the ini setting.
    (I kept the ini file from the previous install.) (here's the screenshot)

Anyway, that winebrowser registry trick seems to not to help with opening DDO store. (and it would be simpler if 2 places where I saw it described didn't disagree with each other and with what's actually in the Wine registry on the exact key names.)

Community Member

Found it.

TurbineLauncher.exe is an obsolete version from January 2017.

DNDLauncher.exe is the actual current launcher exe, and it respects the legacy client option.

As simple as that. (You can check the launcher's build date in the "about" menu item.)
    Last edited by 3dent; 09-25-2018 at 04:28 PM.