Community Member

Default Deconstructor in an orb?

Has anyone tried putting the Deconstructor augment in an orb? I'm wondering if any of the properties apply to main hand attacks.

Destruction?
    Adamantine DR breaking?
    Rust damage vs constructs?
    Stratis on Khyber

Want to know my build?
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...il-of-the-Bard

You can strike with the orb (tried it with the one that gives sp on hitting stuff), which sadly means (I think, not tested) that it only applies to the orb unless you have 100% off hand strike and hit with it too (as a side way of doing what you are asking for).

J1NG
    Thelanis: Yijing (*Completionist* TR 19 36 Point Warforged Monk Level 20 / Epic Level 10)
    Thelanis: Pocket-Monks: Sightblur, Peashoote, Jigglypath.
    Invisible Fences, unkillable Target Practice Dummy's, Shared Bank's, Pale Lavender Ioun Stones, the dimensional barrier between Eberron and Shavarath, I've broken them all...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by J1NG View Post
    You can strike with the orb (tried it with the one that gives sp on hitting stuff), which sadly means (I think, not tested) that it only applies to the orb unless you have 100% off hand strike and hit with it too (as a side way of doing what you are asking for).

J1NG
    off hand strike shouldn't do anything for an orb, but passive shield bashes might (or might not, they've done some changes to make orbs act less like shields).

Quote Originally Posted by Cantor View Post
    off hand strike shouldn't do anything for an orb, but passive shield bashes might (or might not, they've done some changes to make orbs act less like shields).
    Well, if you're just using the orb I'm thinking (without something in main hand). It plays funny then. But you are right that shield bash chances is what normal use should be looked at.

J1NG
    Thelanis: Yijing (*Completionist* TR 19 36 Point Warforged Monk Level 20 / Epic Level 10)
    Thelanis: Pocket-Monks: Sightblur, Peashoote, Jigglypath.
    Invisible Fences, unkillable Target Practice Dummy's, Shared Bank's, Pale Lavender Ioun Stones, the dimensional barrier between Eberron and Shavarath, I've broken them all...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by J1NG View Post
    Well, if you're just using the orb I'm thinking (without something in main hand). It plays funny then. But you are right that shield bash chances is what normal use should be looked at.

J1NG
    Hmmm, I had just assumed that the main hand empty bash was similar to active shield bashing. I much preferred when you would punch with an empty main hand with a shield in off-hand. I don't remember when it changed, but I thought the one hand punch was way better for oozes at low levels.

None of the abilities on Deconstructor are passive, having one in an orb will not give anything to your mainhand attack.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dragavon View Post
    None of the abilities on Deconstructor are passive, having one in an orb will not give anything to your mainhand attack.
    I'm still curious if anyone has actually tested it. You can get Adamantine DR bypass from a feat, Silver DR bypass from gloves, Improved Destruction from Dragontouched Armor and Smiting from Dragontouched armor. That's why I'm wondering if any of these things might work on the mainhand if slotted in an orb. This makes me think that most of these properties have a 'passive' option.
    Stratis on Khyber

Want to know my build?

The abilities on deconstructor are not passive. Period.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dragavon View Post
    The abilities on deconstructor are not passive. Period.
    Unless you have tried it, you don't know. As I explained above, those abilities (or similar ones) are most definitely granted to main hand attacks via other non-weapon gear.

Improved Destruction via Dragontouched Armor
    Smiting (construct bane damage) via Dragontouched Armor
    Silver DR bypass (could work the same as Adamantine) via Silver Molten Gauntlets.

Now whether or not any of these should work on mainhand if slotted in an orb is a different question. But if I can get Destruction on my melee attacks via the armor I'm wearing, I don't really see much of a difference if it's coming from my orb instead. I will say that I'm in the same boat as you in that I don't think they'll work if I slot it in the orb, but there's enough evidence in the game to suggest that they might work. Hence me asking for verification, not people's opinions.
    Stratis on Khyber

Want to know my build?