Default The Armadillo Tank build - 10 Rog / 5 Arty / 5 Wizard

Hey all,

Been thinking about tank builds lately and thought I’d share this half-baked idea in case anyone wanted to give it a try, but think it carries the potential to be the tankiest tank to ever tank.

10 Rogue / 5 Artificer / 5 Wizard - Unyielding Sentinel

Why 10 Rogue? Defensive Roll. While at 20% (50*) of your max health, gain a percentage chance equal to your reflex save to reduce the damage you take by 50%. Plan is waste a bunch of points in Thief Acrobat to raise the threshold from 20% to 50%.

Why 5 Artificer? Renegade Master. 20% buff to hp and your choice of force field

Why 5 Wizard? Arcane Barrier and Displacement (with quicken and extend). Arcane Barrier also kicks in when you drop below 50% health. Granting you a Radiant force field-like buff reducing 25% damage for 20 seconds on a 90 second cooldown. Of course this is in addition to Improved Mage Armor and Improved Shield also found in the Eldritch Knight tree.

Enhancements – 32 Renegade Master, 23 Thief Acrobat, 13 Eldritch Knight. Leaves 12 left over not including any racial action points. Which is just enough to get Int to attack and damage from the Harper Tree. Though there is a strong temptation to run Aasimar, in which case you’ll want to spend at least 4 (3 post Tiefling) in the racial tree.

Stats – Con > Int/Dex > Cha > Other – Getting as many hit points as you can is going to be rather crucial to survive as many hits as possible. Getting to 100+ Reflex save for Defensive Roll seems like a good idea and you’re going to get that through your Int or Dex. Lastly, Charisma. You’re not a DPS character, so Intimidate is important to you. Otherwise, only concern is pre-reqs.

Feats – Since EDF didn’t include any shield feats I’m going to recommend the following:
    - Artificer 4 Bonus Feat = Construct Essence (required for Renegade Master)
    - Wizard 1 Bonus Feat = Quicken to refresh buffs in combat when necessary
    - Wizard 5 Bonus Feat = Extend buffs to save on sp and annoyance.
    - Combat Expertise
    - Shield Mastery
    - Improved Shield Mastery
    - Heavy Armor Proficiency (only get medium through our classes)
    - A weapon fighting chain (personally, I’m going to recommend either Single Weapon (to help pick up aggro against non-intimable enemies) or Two-handed if a Dwarf or picking up Bastard Swords).

Leaves 4 feats open. Some common options
    - Completionist if you have it.
    - Insightful Reflexes is a top recommendation from me.
    - Force of Personality might not be bad.
    - Bulwark of Defense
    - Epic Damage reduction
    - Toughness and Epic Toughness
    - Blinding Speed
    - Epic Reflexes
    - Bastard Sword / Dwarven Axe Proficiency

Epic Destiny Feats should probably be:
    - Appropriate Perfect Weapon Fighting (though may be worth it to take pTWF if using the SWF line)
    - Elusive Target
    - Deific Warding

Legendary Feat will likely be one of these:
    - Earth for 20 PRR
    - Water for 20 MRR
    - Fire for 10 of each
    - Feywild for 20 Heal Amp
    - Limbo for a mix of everything

Goal
    - Run in Epic Defensive Fighting using layers reduction to damage and a high hp total to prevent death/take as many hits as possible. Likely trap capabilities as well.

So… think it would work as a serviceable build? Has a bit of weakness in the Incite department as there aren’t really any options in the classes and dps should will be rather low. Haven’t done the math or gear, but I Imagine they’d be in the same ballpark as any straight artificer, paladin or fighter and hoping the layered reduction of damage would push it to the next level.

Default thinking the same thing

Its funny that you brought this up.. I have been thinking the same thing.

A few differences however - I wanted to go pally for the huge bonus to saves, I think it might be really important to get 100 dex.

I would go assamar 100%. so much defensive options in that tree.

Since epic defensive fighting came out I have been re-thinking stuff. My thought is to go THF line and use the quarterstaff with shield bonus on it. This opens up that great trinket ... um... bloodrage symbiont? The one with primal bonus to PRR/MRR and 80 heal amp and dr 30/-. It would alleviate some of the losing the shield line but you would do more (?) damage and have a better chance of holding agro on targets that can't be intimidated.

I think toughness is really importaint. Your gonna have a crazy hp modifier anywhere from 1.9-2.25 ish depending on how many LGS hp items you want to craft. So getting 33 hp turns into something like 70 hp. And you need as huge a HP pool as possible because your going to be mostly fighting at 25-50% hp.

I'm fairly sure defensive roll only triggers if your HP is bellow 50% before damage is dealt - not after. Which means you kinda hate to be at 51% and really want to be at 49%, or you might bet 1-shoted in high difficulty.

I'm really curious to do this but I have been holding back - the bonus this toon gets from past lives is super important.

PS: Do you think AC matters for this tank?

EDIT: add-on thoughts: 5 cleric could get animal domain (150 hp) or strength domain (reflex save from STR). Might be some interesting options there.
    Last edited by Pilgrim1; 09-14-2018 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim1 View Post
    Its funny that you brought this up.. I have been thinking the same thing.

A few differences however - I wanted to go pally for the huge bonus to saves, I think it might be really important to get 100 dex.

I would go assamar 100%. so much defensive options in that tree.

Since epic defensive fighting came out I have been re-thinking stuff. My thought is to go THF line and use the quarterstaff with shield bonus on it. This opens up that great trinket ... um... bloodrage symbiont? The one with primal bonus to PRR/MRR and 80 heal amp and dr 30/-. It would alleviate some of the losing the shield line but you would do more (?) damage and have a better chance of holding agro on targets that can't be intimidated.

I think toughness is really importaint. Your gonna have a crazy hp modifier anywhere from 1.9-2.25 ish depending on how many LGS hp items you want to craft. So getting 33 hp turns into something like 70 hp. And you need as huge a HP pool as possible because your going to be mostly fighting at 25-50% hp.

I'm fairly sure defensive roll only triggers if your HP is bellow 50% before damage is dealt - not after. Which means you kinda hate to be at 51% and really want to be at 49%, or you might bet 1-shoted in high difficulty.

I'm really curious to do this but I have been holding back - the bonus this toon gets from past lives is super important.

PS: Do you think AC matters for this tank?

EDIT: add-on thoughts: 5 cleric could get animal domain (150 hp) or strength domain (reflex save from STR). Might be some interesting options there.
    Awesome! I hope you go for it.

@ 100 dex - Assume you mean Reflex, in which case I 100% agree. Why risk it right? Though I'm hoping we can get there without paladin levels.

@ Defensive Roll trigger - Correct, need to be at or below 50%. Still, as a tank with a stack of HP... we should be in the category of people who don't die from over 50% in a single hit.

@ Quarterstaff - Bloodrage Chrism is what you're thinking of. Amazing trinket. There is certainly a q-staff variant to be had. Only thing I fear is losing the Shield Multiplier for MRR. Doubling our MRR when we make a reflex save (and with 100+ Reflex we should be making it) is tough to give up. That and the giant's platter just seems so ideal for us.

@ AC - Yes. AC is still really important. The goal is to last as long as possible to ease the burden on our healer(s). So each miss a moment they have for the lag heal to go off. Granted, I think we can get away without having 500, but neglect it we should not.

@ Race - I too am defaulting to Aasimar, but it does require 4 racial action points. PDK is an interesting choice allowing us to be Charisma based for easier Intimidating. Interestingly, if you spend all 12 of the extra ap, you can pick up 5% extra hp from falconer. Making up for some of the loss of not being an Aasimar if we can find enough of a reason. Which, is where something like Dwarf could be better/on par. 5% from Falconer and 4% from Dwarf but would have a higher miss chance due to the higher dodge plus getting Dwarven Axe for free. Again, Aasimar is still likely the best, but I could see arguments for other races especially for those without a full load of racial ap.