View Poll Results: Yes or no to implementing Achievments?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes to achievements, but fun/bragging rights only please(including titles).

12 28.57%
  • Yes, but none game breaking things, ie cosmetics, companions etc

3 7.14%
  • No, I don't like\see the point in achievements

4 9.52%
  • Yes but also get none game breaking things for rare achievements.

0 0%
  • No, I would prefer development resources spent on other things

23 54.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DDO Achievements

I have been thinking how other MMOs and even most new single games (even steam) have achievements and we seem to have this lacking in DDO. Sure we have things like monster manual, reaper and favour systems but these are hardly a true achievement system.

By introducing them into DDO and done well, I can see it adding extra longevity to the game but also encourage running content as well as bragging rights. People like achievements and bragging rights! Depending on actual achievements this be tailored for single player or group play. Certain achievements should be so hard that only a core few % of players have a hope of achieving, some should be more intermediate as well as easier ones. I can think of lots of types of achievements immediately:

1. Time attack quests. How fast you can complete a quest once started? This could even be tailored for Gold/Silver/Bronze. Eg who can complete the Pit within 4/5/6 minutes, Completing Legendary shroud on Reaper 5 or higher within 30 minutes?
    2. Boss beat-down. How fast it takes you to kill certain bosses in a group/single player on certain difficulties. Also achievements for hitting a boss for certain high level damage, ie hitting Harry for 200,000 in a single hit etc.
    3. Adjusted difficulty. Short-manning certain quests on a particular difficulty. A particular raid boss is defeated with so many active players of a raid dead on certain difficulties.
    4. Misc rare. Finding so many random spawns in explores/quests - this doesn't have to take the place of a rare mob spawns but also include things like treasure hunting

The next thought would be what rewards should be obtained from actually completed the achievements. For me personally I would not want power creep, but instead tailor more towards the following things (all BTC):

1. In game titles
    2. Emotes
    3. Cosmetics
    4. Achievement points (other people can inspect you)
    5. World toaster announcing when people complete certain achievements (similar to guilds gaining levels)

Obviously other people will have their own ideas and suggestions.

I'd love to see a Titles system implemented along with something like this. We need more rewards systems that aren't pure powercreep - cosmetics are nice, but as you say there are other options like emotes, titles and achievement points as examples. I think anything that shows off your accomplishments to other players is typically considered a good enough reward for the types of people who are trying to get these rewards anyway.

My son asked me some months ago, how to get a statue of his character in the Hall of Heroes. I thought about it and it would be pretty awesome if there was a blank pedestal that appeared to be a statue of your character (client side) when you achieved something of course other people would see their character or an empty pedestal if they haven't made the achievement. But you could take a screenie with your statue for all to ogle.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Shouldn't this be in the Achievements forum??

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    My son asked me some months ago, how to get a statue of his character in the Hall of Heroes. I thought about it and it would be pretty awesome if there was a blank pedestal that appeared to be a statue of your character (client side) when you achieved something of course other people would see their character or an empty pedestal if they haven't made the achievement. But you could take a screenie with your statue for all to ogle.
    That would be awesome and I approve of this message.

Perhaps for 6k+ favor on that character? Or 7500 (not currently achievable as max atm is about 6160, but more quests/packs/expansions are in the works).

The Lord of the Rings Online cured me of pursuing achievements. At first, it was great fun completing the deeds for exploring regions, slaying monsters, completing dungeons in various modes, and so forth. Then the developers started making the achievements more and more onerous to the point the fun disappeared. Then they put in deeds that required me to redo the horrible deeds I had already completed and I gave up. Ever since, I ignore achievement systems in games and have a very low opinion of them. If the developers add one here I will cheer for those who enjoy such things then pretend it does not exist.

Having written that, I am all for more rare drops including Cosmetic Items, Creature Companions, Gold Seal Hires, and Emotes. I would totally run a quest 30 times in a row for a Cosmetic or Hairstyle I like.

I regularly stand on top of fountains and cast Stoneskin on myself while posing because I am a complete goof.
    Last edited by Annex; 08-31-2018 at 04:22 PM.
    Sophie the Cat Burglar - Creator, Dreamer, Explorer - Happy yet Sad - Seeker of Beauty and Wonder
    I wish you all many happy adventures! Good bye!

I'm not up for trying to decipher what's going on with that poll, but I like the idea of "achievements" having some kind of visual/cosmetic/scoreboard/etc way that shows them off. Remember back in the day getting TR wings? Definitely something to look forward to. If you go around and look at people's bios lots of them list achievements of one form or another showing there's definitely an interest.

Guild achievements would be cool also. Something to show the effectiveness of that guild at completing raids. That's always what's struck me as the difference between "real guilds" and "ship buff communes."
    Sabathal and Sabbathiel of Sarlona

We used to have a leaderboard for the challenges. I really liked that.

I think in game leader boards would be cool. I don't think there need to be any gameplay rewards (buffs or power boosts or anything). But achievement rewards in the form of titles, cosmetics, and pets would be fine.

I think that longevity awards would be cool too. I know there is a founders fountain. But if you are a 5 year continuous ViP or a 10 year continuous ViP, etc, a reward for that would be cool, too. Again, probably not looking for power based rewards.

I would love to see leader boards for:

Challenge stars, challenge completion time, challenge score.

Raid completion (highest difficulty). Raid completion time (different leader board per difficulty).

Quest completion (highest difficulty). Quest completion time (different leader board per difficulty).

OR. A Raid/Quest Score. With some math attached:

Completion = 1000 points + Modifiers. Multiplied by difficulty (.25/.5./75/1 for C/N/H/E and 1+skulls for reaper for 2-11 multiplier for reaper 1-10) Then Divided by completion time in minutes.
    -50 per party member over 1.
    +50 for Ransack (+25/+10 for Vandal, Mischief)
    +50 for Ingenious Debilitation
    +50 for Conquest
    +100 for flawless
    -10 points per death (because besides flawless a 1 death run is different than a 100 death run)

Something like that would be interesting. Tweak the scoring as appropriate.
    Asheras - Velania - Renvar - Ventarya - Officer in Loreseekers and Officer of Lava Divers - Khyber

Community Member

Default Wrong game for achievements

Doesn't matter how hard you try, if the achievements have significantly high requirements then it will be a matter of having the right race/class/feats/enhancements/gear, which is a boring and pathetic thing to track.

Quote Originally Posted by acemonkey View Post
    Doesn't matter how hard you try, if the achievements have significantly high requirements then it will be a matter of having the right race/class/feats/enhancements/gear, which is a boring and pathetic thing to track.
    This is so true, most "DDO achievements" are based on picking the easiest thing, or using the greatest bugs or exploits.

A better system would have class specific goals instead of whatever gets through content the quickest.

I fully expect SSG would also add extreme power rewards to any such system after creation (to monentize it and justify the design cost), so it probably can never do what players want it to do. I will reference the challenge setting of DDO if anyone needs a specific example of what will happen.
    It's much easier to demonize those providing feedback (whining, childish, bringing the forums down, etc) or minimize their voice (small number, vocal, etc) than to accept the fact that the agro/stealth system just missed the mark.
    A good company learns to listen to their customers.

Quote Originally Posted by nokowi View Post
    I will reference the challenge setting of DDO if anyone needs a specific example of what will happen.
    I don't want to become cynical but you're probably right and the very idea (of the P2W possibilities) makes me cringe.
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

many of the players treat DDO like its PVP. the second DDO rewards achievements, it becomes official.
    #MakeDDOGreatAgain

You are the one choosing not to play alts.

Casual player now investing way less than I used to into the game, playing 1-3 months at a time and still want nothing to do with Reaper. #improvepuggrouping#alldifficultiesmatter

Please no.

As a longtime WoW player, what I like about DDO is that *most* of the things you can farm in the game actually give an in-game benefit. Past lives actually matter, for example. All of that cosmetic stuff and achievements in other games is really a whole lot of fluff that I'm not convinced really keeps players in the game any longer.

I like the idea of this as a reward that can be given.
    It could be implemented based on favor (updated to "current appearance" every time you hit another 1000) or could have something like a saga attached (complete certain quests across a number of different packs, and after a certain number of points your statue appears, then updates as you hit other thresholds). If the "reward" needs to be claimed, then you can dress the way you want when you claim it in order to get that appearance on the statue. It could be reset on TR or remain with "last appearance" through TRs until you make your next claim.
    Bettayne Brah'dukcc, Cleric of Lathander
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life

For DDO Queries, check out ddowiki.com; New to the game? Head to the Newbie Guide

Quote Originally Posted by glmfw1 View Post
    I like the idea of this as a reward that can be given.
    It could be implemented based on favor (updated to "current appearance" every time you hit another 1000) or could have something like a saga attached (complete certain quests across a number of different packs, and after a certain number of points your statue appears, then updates as you hit other thresholds). If the "reward" needs to be claimed, then you can dress the way you want when you claim it in order to get that appearance on the statue. It could be reset on TR or remain with "last appearance" through TRs until you make your next claim.
    I don't raid much but this would probably be a great way to get some older raids ran. It could be one answer to the much asked-for Raid Saga.

this is what we said should be done with reaper instead of reaper
    xp. They did both which was silly.
    Achievements are not just dps...but there could be some interesting challenges created such as ROGUE Quatre which then give also a visual badge

It is hard to program blanket challenges like ‘complete 6 reaper 10
    quests & not expect people to target the easiest on a FotM build
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked level 4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    Hope extinguished leaves fading memories of better times.

I always thought Reaper should have been exactly what you have purposed. Cosmetic's and things "like this." Some people need their ego stoked.
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    I always thought Reaper should have been exactly what you have purposed. Cosmetic's and things "like this." Some people need their ego stoked.
    This was also my thought on Reaper.

Monster Manual are the DDO's Achievements. It's already here.

And we don't need anything else. No, we don't. Achievements are the bad news for grouping. They nearly destroyed random groups (and gameplay for the new players) in WoW : you couldn't attend anything without given out a long list of achievements. And if you couldn't - nobody take you into the party. Blizzard fix it with the automatic dungeons find system… and has a history of differnet bonuses that LFG gave out to the players, just to lure them into using LFG. Can SSG do the same ?

There's no option for "I don't really care either way". I think there are a few cool things they could use cheevos for, but I don't think they're important to the game, either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast