Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Introducing: Visible Cloaks!

Hey, everyone!

By now, a lot of you have probably figured out - either through our teaser trailer or today's Livestream - that visible cloaks are coming to DDO! We're very excited about this feature and expect you have some questions, so here's a compilation of the important information! Please bear in mind that this feature is still in development, and is subject to change!

What does this change mean, in a nutshell?

• Equipped cloaks, like equipped helmets, will have visual appearances on your character. You can also equip Cosmetic Cloaks in the same way you can equip Cosmetic Helmets and Armor.

Where do I get visible cloaks?

• When this goes Live, most equippable Cloaks in the game will gain appearances:
      • Both new and existing copies of Named Cloaks will have static appearances. The ones you already have will update automatically.
      • New copies of Random/Lootgen Cloaks will have randomized appearances; randomized appearances have a variety of pattern and color combinations, with simpler ones dropping in lower-level treasure and more complex ones in higher-level treasure.
      • Existing copies of Random/Lootgen Cloaks will not be gaining appearances (sorry!).

Do Named Cloaks have unique appearances?

• Some Named Cloaks (especially low-level ones) have very basic appearances that might match what you can pull in Lootgen.
    • In many cases, Named Cloaks may share similarities with Randomized ones, but on most of them they're in a Color combination or a Pattern you would not be able to find in Random Loot.
    • A handful of Named Cloaks have entirely unique appearances.

How do Cosmetic Cloaks work?

• When this goes Live, you will be able to use Mirrors of Glamering on equippable Cloaks (both Random and Named) the same way you can with Helmets and Armor. These go in the new Cosmetic Cloak slot.
    • Additionally, there may be some Cosmetic Cloaks around in the Store, Remnant Vendor, Events, or other places in the future.
    • Equipping a Cosmetic Cloak in the Cosmetic Cloak slot works more or less as you'd expect - It overrides the appearance of your equipped Cloak.

I don't want to see these things, can I turn them off?

• Tentatively, you should be able to turn visible Cloaks off in the same way you can turn visible Helmets off (via the inventory UI).

...Aren't these technically capes

• If you want to get technical, perhaps. We're doing our best to make sure it's going to look good combined with DDO's wide variety of Armor/Robes/Outfits/Docents.

When is this coming to the Live servers?

• We're currently targeting Update 40.
    Last edited by Steelstar; 08-29-2018 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Clarified lootgen cloak appearances
    We don't only build for the builds that exist.
    We don't only build for the builds that are good right now.

The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

The Hatchery
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post

• New copies of Random/Lootgen Cloaks will have randomized appearances; randomized appearances have a variety of pattern and color combinations, with simpler ones at low MLs and more complex ones at higher MLs.

This is... interesting. How does Cannith Crafting affect this, if at all? If I decon an ML1 cloak and put an ML30 shard on it will it get fancier? If I decon an ML30 cloak and put an ML1 shard on it, will it get simpler?
    "Ignorance killed the cat, sir; curiosity was framed."
    Tripoint, C.J. Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by LrdSlvrhnd View Post
    This is... interesting. How does Cannith Crafting affect this, if at all? If I decon an ML1 cloak and put an ML30 shard on it will it get fancier? If I decon an ML30 cloak and put an ML1 shard on it, will it get simpler?
    When Cannith Crafting Cloaks, they will keep their original appearance regardless of what you do to it with Crafting; the appearance is determined at the point that it's rolled in loot. Edited my post to reflect that it's based on the loot level it's pulled from.
    We don't only build for the builds that exist.
    We don't only build for the builds that are good right now.

The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

Community Member

Best thing to happen to DDO since the new teleport locations.

Can you make it so that the cloak can show up on my wolf druid? I know this is a no, so I'll just have to pretend.

will the cloaks/capes drape around you when you drop into stealth mode?
    ROGUE Part QUATRE: Prove your Stealth Skills!

Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer)

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post

Stealth is not supported in DDO's current meta
    Main toons: IronThatcher (Melee Monk), Mehhh (DC Sorc)
    Banned Camp is recruiting reaper ready raiders...We are a politically incorrect guild, if you get your feeling hurt easily don't bother
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesrali View Post
    Go munt your grandma while wearing my freeway mitt!

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    Cordo did go into sneak while on the live stream and it did kind of drape around the backside and legs. One thing several people noticed was that there wasn't any clipping while in sneak.
    Dedicated Teams: be part of a larger community.
    You never hear anyone say: "Yeah, but it's a dry cold."
    Adventurers never forget. Adventurers still hate Coyle!

Steel,
    This is surprising good news
    And I just pulled a cloak of Strahd on vish last week
    Wonder what it will look like?
    Anyways good work on everything
    Thanks to the team

Ps
    Does that mean unicorn mounts are in the works?
    Vishantii (priest of the silver flame)
    Kil (heroic and epic completionist)

Sarlona, Silver Flame Jokers

Just to remind everyone of the danger of capes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R2aW03pwL0

Although I am looking forward to this!!!

Cool Sev's Secret?

Okay, if this isn't Sev's secret from earlier this year than I can't really think what else might be upcoming in 2018!

@ Devs -

Could you, please, consider doing 1 more thing to cosmetics, while you're there?

It would be great if a character's appearance would stay as you last left it when you log in/out. Currently, it defaults back to whatever is sitting in the cosmetic slot - and that's not always what a player wants. And it's odd that it does that, b/c in the character selection screen, it shows your last appearance - so the game is already "remembering" it, somewhere.

Having to open inventory, and de-select the "cosmetic" switch, then close again, every time you log in - gets old fast.

Just a simple request., if it's not too much trouble, thx.

p.s. Love the cloaks!

Q - Are there plans to allow any Festival enchanting to be put on cosmetic cloaks, sim to how Risia fire/cold resists/etc. can be put on them?

Quote Originally Posted by Yamani View Post
    Just to remind everyone of the danger of capes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R2aW03pwL0

Although I am looking forward to this!!!
    This precisely what was going thru my mind when cordo was talking about capes LOL
    When I am good I am very good and when I am bad I am better

I don't want to see these things, can I turn them off?

• Tentatively, you should be able to turn visible Cloaks off in the same way you can turn visible Helmets off (via the inventory UI).

On today's Livestream Severlin said that to make your cloak not appear requires "glamering an invisible cloak" (whatever an 'invisible cloak' is) in order to keep a cloak from being visible. If this is accurate, will every character be given a Mirror of Glamering? Or is the introduction of capes/cloaks meant to boost store sales of Mirrors of Glamering to players who do not want their cloak to be visible?

CLOAKS!!

I can't believe we're finally getting cloaks after all these years of asking for them! I thought it'd never happen!

Whilst you're giving us long-awaited things can we have: kobold player race; more bank space; a proper solution to the TR cache; more players; less lag and an augment pass?
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We are trying to kill you.

When Cannith Crafting Cloaks, they will keep their original appearance regardless of what you do to it with Crafting; the appearance is determined at the point that it's rolled in loot. Edited my post to reflect that it's based on the loot level it's pulled from.
    No unique Cannith Crafting appearance then ? :-(

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKernel View Post
    No unique Cannith Crafting appearance then ? :-(
    From everything said above (repeatedly, ahem), Cannith Crafting works exactly as it always has - you have an item, it has a static appearance. You turn it into a blank (with the same appearance), and you craft new effects onto it - and it still has the same appearance it always had.

Armor and headgear work that way, and apparently (and not surprisingly) so will cloaks.

This is great! Can't wait to see them!
    Sabathal and Sabbathiel of Sarlona

Quote Originally Posted by SerPounce View Post
    This is great! Can't wait to see them!
    Or... NOT see them. (Invisible Cloak of Strahd)

J1NG
    Thelanis: Yijing (*Completionist* TR 19 36 Point Warforged Monk Level 20 / Epic Level 10)
    Thelanis: Pocket-Monks: Sightblur, Peashoote, Jigglypath.
    Invisible Fences, unkillable Target Practice Dummy's, Shared Bank's, Pale Lavender Ioun Stones, the dimensional barrier between Eberron and Shavarath, I've broken them all...

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Niminae View Post
    On today's Livestream Severlin said that to make your cloak not appear requires "glamering an invisible cloak" (whatever an 'invisible cloak' is) in order to keep a cloak from being visible. If this is accurate, will every character be given a Mirror of Glamering? Or is the introduction of capes/cloaks meant to boost store sales of Mirrors of Glamering to players who do not want their cloak to be visible?
    I think that answer was more speculative. We'll have some kind of way to disable the visibility of cloaks. I think we're a bit early in the process to lock down how that will happen.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast