Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Default Thanks everyone!

Khyber has been a great world for Fawngate and Fawngale.

Lots of friends and great gamers.

In fact, I think Khyber is the #1 server in DDO.

However with my poor internet connection, my many past lives, complex equipment, cloud casting style, and the popularity of being the best server, Fawngate tends to experience lag issues when raid groups fill up more than 10 players during peak gaming hours. Especially if other players also had poor internet within the raid group.

That is quite annoying, especially when your computer is 5-10 minutes behind reality, and relogging results in crashing.

Swapping out to wolf form wis damage along with a few healing spells does relieve the problem greatly, so its part of this and part of that.

Got a new computer, after many years, the old one was giving the blue screen of death.

Phone company might put in fiber optics someday...

My solution right now is moving to less populated server, as my past experiences on Wayfinder were that even the Mabar Dragon did not cause lag for Fawngate.

So, I bid all of you Aloha, may we meet again someday.

You are a great bunch of player, will miss you!

It's been a pleasure and a learning experience every time I teamed with you, I hope to see you again on Khyber someday.
    Guild I'm one of a kind, Khyber (Originally from Riedra)
    Current Crew: Raika ~ Carolanne ~ Sulthania ~ Yasminne ~ Zazette
    Semi-Retired Crew: Rosanna ~ Venusia ~ Coriza ~ Carelle
    Retired Crew: Alexandra ~ Samara ~ Zaretta ~ Katina ~ Nathalya ~ Kristina ~ Nausikaa ~ Carietta ~ Isabella ~ Zyvorra ~ Hetoff
    Guild The Ashen, Khyber
    Retired Crew: Zazumi

Community Member

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooo
    Graceana, assassin ~ Xiya, tempest ~ Shinshi, shintao ~ Ayaxi, thief-acrobat ~ Saravi, cleric ~ Sanziana, arcane archer ~ Kyudojin, mechanic
    Talvi, caster druid ~ Zinzie, shiradi sorc ~ Kishori, spellsinger ~ Faunia, wolf druid ~ Viven, warchanter ~ Jianqiao, ninja spy
    Cliodna, wizard ~ Serenwyn, swashbuckler ~ Duisteri, shuribuild ~ Mahuika, warlock ~ Narabali, tank ~ Tabbithah, artificer
    The Casual Obsession
    Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    Ask for TWEAKS and ye shall receive, and lo, the nerfhammer shall be moderate. Ask for cow from orbit and ye shall receive that, too, and be sorry you did.

Sad to see you go to another server mate but hopefully not be long before you are back with us, good luck on yer drops from Metalsudz, Sudzz, Sudzlock :-)

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

So sorry to hear this Fawn, hopefully, when they upgrade the internet service in your area, you can come back to us

Saal
    "Fools said I, you do not know. Silence like a cancer grows, hear my words that I might teach you, take my hand that I might reach you, but my words like silent raindrops fell...."-Paul Simon "Day after day, we caught no breath or motion. As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean."--Coleridge

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

The phone company took several hours with me yesterday, and it was very productive.
    Got an upgrade with promise of a bigger upgrade in a couple of months.

Also found out that my phone is likely causing a random short in my dsl line.
    Successful raiding tonight...simply unplug phone for the win!

Fawn and I picked up the Season Pass, which means I created Fawnbank on every server, and accidently took my free Ottos on Khyber, lol..
    So....things are looking up...likely to create alts on various worlds just to take the gold rolls xp...

Default Copy and Paste

Copied this from an old thread and am adding to it. Original person from this thread never responded so i added some generic answers.

1. did you do a self install or did a technician do it?
    Answer: if you did a self install you probably did it wrong. Self install implies you can and will do any wiring needs yourself.
    If you have phone service you need whats called a masterfilter to get the best service possible.
    If its standalone you need to homerun or dedicate the inside wire straight to the jack you have the modem plugged into.
    Not having either will kill the signal stength of the service before it reaches the modem even if you have a great signal coming up to the home.

2. What speed and type of service (adsl, adsl2+,vdsl, gpon) do you have. Centurylink has many different options depending on where you live.
    Answer: too many variable without a response.

3. Is the cable feeding you home aerial or buried?
    Answer: There are different types of cable that have different capabilities.

4. Do you have dialtone with you're service or just standalone dsl?
    Answer: You need a masterfilter. This is a must and i guarantee you technician should know what this is and where it goes.

5. Do you live in town or rural?
    Answer:matters as to what possibilities you have for service

6. Have you logged into you're modem to check for error's and signal quality (SNR's-signal to noise ratio)?
    Answer: you can tell a lot if you understand the numbers inside the modem. Chances are you have a repair issue that needs addressed
    if you modem is power cycling or dropping train. DSL modems will power cycle when they "fill" with errors. They reset by powercycling or
    they can freeze until the power is manually power cycled.

7. What type of wiring do you have, cat5, cat3, or does you're homes wiring predate these?
    Answer: goes to variables related to service type

8. How many other devices (tivo, cells, tablets, security system, etc) use the internet at the same time you are?
    Answer: goes to variables again some devices stay "awake" even when not in use. Each device has overhead per say
    and will send messages back and forth generically as hi you there, response yup i'm ready when you are even if not
    in use but powered on.

9. Are you using wireless or ethernet?
    There obviously a lot more that goes into good internet service but this is somewhere to start.Answer: wireless is subpar for gaming in most cases as it flucuates.
    Even the best wireless modems will fluctuate to some degree whether you notice it or not.

Some general knowledge: anytime you answer a home phone it puts a short on the line. It's like a light switch. It completes the circuit until you hang up.

Next, is cordless phones. Most operate at 2.4ghz. Some operate at different ghz now but most especially cheap ones still operate at 2.4ghz which unless you have a
    dual band wireless modem is the same ghz that your wireless modems operates at. Oddly enough they can ramdomly interfere with each other and cause you internet to
    drop when hanging up or answering the cordless phone. It may do it 1 in 10 times or 1 in 100 but it absolutely can happen.

I used to play on a "gaming laptop" that wasn't a complete pos but definate'ly was entry level. I had 7m internet and i could play ddo on medium setting while my
    wife watched netflix in standard def. People get confused on what is needed for online gaming. You don't necessarily need a big connection just a fast connection. You need big and fast connections when you have multiple people streaming content as that eats bandwidth. Gaming is small bursts back and forth in a generic manner of speaking.
    As games have advanced that has changed some with 4k gaming and such but ddo is not that high end. I probably did not have high resolution files downloaded at that
    time though. This was roughly 6 or 7 years ago. I will check back too see if i can help any further. If other questions are asked or answered.
    Last edited by Kafanar; 12-09-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Kafanar View Post
    Copied this from an old thread and am adding to it. Original person from this thread never responded so i added some generic answers.
    Thanks
    1. did you do a self install or did a technician do it?
    Answer: if you did a self install you probably did it wrong. Self install implies you can and will do any wiring needs yourself.
    If you have phone service you need whats called a masterfilter to get the best service possible.
    If its standalone you need to homerun or dedicate the inside wire straight to the jack you have the modem plugged into.
    Not having either will kill the signal stength of the service before it reaches the modem even if you have a great signal coming up to the home.
    A phone company technician did the whole process.
    On more than one occasion.

2. What speed and type of service (adsl, adsl2+,vdsl, gpon) do you have. Centurylink has many different options depending on where you live.
    Answer: too many variable without a response.
    It is called Xstream.

Features voice plus dsl.

TEC

3. Is the cable feeding you home aerial or buried?
    Answer: There are different types of cable that have different capabilities.
    Everything up here is buried.

The line is old, but has been fixed to a signal generator and hooked up to a very expensive box that tests the signal.

We laid out brand new phone line from the buried line to my single jack.

4. Do you have dialtone with you're service or just standalone dsl?
    Answer: You need a masterfilter. This is a must and i guarantee you technician should know what this is and where it goes.
    We had a masterfilter inside the box out at the road long ago.
    Lightning fired it good, and a nearby tree.

Currently there is one jack which is hooked to a surge protector for phone lines.

Coming out of that surge protector was two lines.
    One goes directly to the modem, which goes directly to the router, which is hard wired to the computer.
    The other line went to a filter then on to the single phone.

5. Do you live in town or rural?
    Answer:matters as to what possibilities you have for service
    Rural area that has protection grandfathered in against outside competition.

Yes, I used Hughes Net till we got Dsl.

There is a very long distance between myself and the remote that boosts the signal.

That will be changed in a few months to a much much close remote (I can see it from my driveway.)
    6. Have you logged into you're modem to check for error's and signal quality (SNR's-signal to noise ratio)?
    Answer: you can tell a lot if you understand the numbers inside the modem. Chances are you have a repair issue that needs addressed
    if you modem is power cycling or dropping train. DSL modems will power cycle when they "fill" with errors. They reset by powercycling or
    they can freeze until the power is manually power cycled.
    Not personally, but the phone company logs into my modem and watches it while investigating.
    They did find a short that came and went that might be linked to phone or modem.
    Advised against replacing phone till moved to new remote (which should greatly increase my potential bandwidth.

They did raise bandwidth from 3 to 4 meg.

Pretty much everytime I call them, they have me powercycle the modem and router as part of initial investigation.

7. What type of wiring do you have, cat5, cat3, or does you're homes wiring predate these?
    Answer: goes to variables related to service type
    A single typical standard issue phone line, put in 3 years ago.
    Think its 4 wire type?
    8. How many other devices (tivo, cells, tablets, security system, etc) use the internet at the same time you are?
    Answer: goes to variables again some devices stay "awake" even when not in use. Each device has overhead per say
    and will send messages back and forth generically as hi you there, response yup i'm ready when you are even if not
    in use but powered on.
    One line for one computer and one unplugged phone.

The phone is not wireless.

The wireless internet is turned off and locked.
    Straight hard wired to computer.

9. Are you using wireless or ethernet?
    There obviously a lot more that goes into good internet service but this is somewhere to start.Answer: wireless is subpar for gaming in most cases as it flucuates.
    Even the best wireless modems will fluctuate to some degree whether you notice it or not.
    Hard wired ethernet.
    Finally found where I could watch it, and that is why I unplugged the phone, about twice as good with phone unplugged.
    Removed the filter too, since it is part of the phone line.

Some general knowledge: anytime you answer a home phone it puts a short on the line. It's like a light switch. It completes the circuit until you hang up.
    Hmm.... I think I have call waiting or call answering, that might have been trigging thru telemarketers.
    Next, is cordless phones. Most operate at 2.4ghz. Some operate at different ghz now but most especially cheap ones still operate at 2.4ghz which unless you have a
    dual band wireless modem is the same ghz that your wireless modems operates at. Oddly enough they can ramdomly interfere with each other and cause you internet to
    drop when hanging up or answering the cordless phone. It may do it 1 in 10 times or 1 in 100 but it absolutely can happen.
    No cordless phones here.
    I used to play on a "gaming laptop" that wasn't a complete pos but definate'ly was entry level. I had 7m internet and i could play ddo on medium setting while my
    wife watched netflix in standard def. People get confused on what is needed for online gaming. You don't necessarily need a big connection just a fast connection. You need big and fast connections when you have multiple people streaming content as that eats bandwidth. Gaming is small bursts back and forth in a generic manner of speaking.
    As games have advanced that has changed some with 4k gaming and such but ddo is not that high end. I probably did not have high resolution files downloaded at that
    time though. This was roughly 6 or 7 years ago. I will check back too see if i can help any further. If other questions are asked or answered.
    To me 7 meg is super fast, had 1 meg several years ago.
    Currently bumped from 3 to 4.
    They said 6 would be borderline and oddly enough it is because the upload could not manage more than 1 regardless.
    Like I said, its a long ways to the remote thru country lines.

PS, its not graphics lag, my new machine is made for Maya and the like.