Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I'm from the great white north, right. Like up above the states.

Default Statute of Limitations on Character Names

I have been wanting to change my characters name for the past few years now, but the name (which I have been using as a screen name for several years now) has been taken by someone who appears to have not been online in a very long time. Is there any length of inactivity that would warrant the ability to acquire that inactive characters name? Is this even possible, and if so, may i request the acquisition of said name?

EDIT: Considering people can't be bothered to read past my original post. There are possible ways for something like this to occur that harbours no ill effect to inactive players at all. One such way is through a combination of the existing name change system and the server transfer system (adding "-1" to the name). No where have I stated that I believe characters should be deleted nor that the best solution is to force a rename due to inactivity. So please stop implying that that is the point of this thread.
    Last edited by Lil_Jaxon; 08-18-2018 at 06:27 AM.
    Laeris - Leader of Spellforce on Ghallanda

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lil_Jaxon View Post
    I have been wanting to change my characters name for the past few years now, but the name (which I have been using as a screen name for several years now) has been taken by someone who appears to have not been online in a very long time. Is there any length of inactivity that would warrant the ability to acquire that inactive characters name? Is this even possible, and if so, may i request the acquisition of said name?
    Outside of guild knowledge - how do you know how long someone hasn't been online for ?

Nope.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by boredGamer View Post
    Outside of guild knowledge - how do you know how long someone hasn't been online for ?
    Its only speculation, but I added them on my friends list a few years ago. I don't know how long it takes a lvl2 ranger with no guild to get to lvl3, but I suspect it wouldn't take that long.

Community Member

They won't do that, because sometimes people do come back after a very long time away, and it would not be particularly great to say, "Welcome back! Your toons now all have different names!"
    Graceana, assassin ~ Xiya, tempest ~ Shinshi, shintao ~ Ayaxi, thief-acrobat ~ Saravi, cleric ~ Sanziana, arcane archer ~ Kyudojin, mechanic
    Talvi, caster druid ~ Zinzie, shiradi sorc ~ Kishori, spellsinger ~ Faunia, wolf druid ~ Viven, warchanter ~ Jianqiao, ninja spy
    Cliodna, wizard ~ Serenwyn, swashbuckler ~ Duisteri, shuribuild ~ Mahuika, warlock ~ Narabali, tank ~ Tabbithah, artificer
    The Casual Obsession
    Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    Ask for TWEAKS and ye shall receive, and lo, the nerfhammer shall be moderate. Ask for cow from orbit and ye shall receive that, too, and be sorry you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    Nope.
    Thanks for your valuable input on something that doesn't effect you (as long as you're an active player), however, i believe this is a conversation that requires more than a one word reply from someone who's opinion is just "nope".

My thoughts are this is a great idea, DDO is an older mmo with many names being already taken most individuals have to either come up with names from way out of left field, or make a name that they dont have any emotional connection to.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthsiren View Post
    Thanks for your valuable input on something that doesn't effect you (as long as you're an active player), however, i believe this is a conversation that requires more than a one word reply from someone who's opinion is just "nope".

My thoughts are this is a great idea, DDO is an older mmo with many names being already taken most individuals have to either come up with names from way out of left field, or make a name that they dont have any emotional connection to.
    He answered the OP. A discussion wasn't necessarily asked for. And there are a lot of reasons this is in fact a terrible idea, not the least of which is that it hurts returning players and can be used to troll.
    Graceana, assassin ~ Xiya, tempest ~ Shinshi, shintao ~ Ayaxi, thief-acrobat ~ Saravi, cleric ~ Sanziana, arcane archer ~ Kyudojin, mechanic
    Talvi, caster druid ~ Zinzie, shiradi sorc ~ Kishori, spellsinger ~ Faunia, wolf druid ~ Viven, warchanter ~ Jianqiao, ninja spy
    Cliodna, wizard ~ Serenwyn, swashbuckler ~ Duisteri, shuribuild ~ Mahuika, warlock ~ Narabali, tank ~ Tabbithah, artificer
    The Casual Obsession
    Khyber

Ask for TWEAKS and ye shall receive, and lo, the nerfhammer shall be moderate. Ask for cow from orbit and ye shall receive that, too, and be sorry you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace_ana View Post
    He answered the OP. A discussion wasn't necessarily asked for. And there are a lot of reasons this is in fact a terrible idea, not the least of which is that it hurts returning players and can be used to troll.
    I don't see how it can be used to troll. I'm asking if there is any substantial length in time where a character's name can be reclaimed by another player (ie. several years). I'm not demanding someone give me their name because "Hey! I use that name, therefore I have a right to it!". The Devs have logs for the logins of players and could clarify how long a player has actually been inactive. I know of a specific player who has taken the name of another player who had not be inactive for a terribly long period of time, and was wondering if that same principle could be applied to other player albeit with a longer period of time between inactivity and name acquisition than what transpired in that specific case.

you can also limit this to make it so if you have atleast 1 PL then your name cant be recalled. there are many ways to limit this that doesn't hurt returning players.
    PLs, Years of being afk, DDO points actually bought, etc...

Many MMOs do this and it frees up more commonly used names from people who havent played the game in 3+ years.

Like all other things if SSG put the proper limitations on when a name can be free'd up then this wont be an issue for returning players.

Community Member

you can also limit this to make it so if you have atleast 1 PL then your name cant be recalled. there are many ways to limit this that doesn't hurt returning players.
    PLs, Years of being afk, DDO points actually bought, etc...

Many MMOs do this and it frees up more commonly used names from people who havent played the game in 3+ years.

Like all other things if SSG put the proper limitations on when a name can be free'd up then this wont be an issue for returning players.
    There are a lot of people that come back after 5, 6, 8 years. Are you going to tell them they can't come back to their characters because someone else is having a hard time coming up with a name?

For reference, I have a LOT of toons, some of which I have made within the last year. I have managed - somehow! - to come up with names for all of them.
    The Casual Obsession
    Khyber

I also want a name that has been taken and hasnt been logged since i joined the game (2009-2010), but nada.And i know they wont allow it, because TODAY a guy that hasnt played in 6 years logged and was running reaper with us, and i believe him.He had a rogue build. And the rogue had 386HP on 21 as it used to be ok prexpack1
    Darkzess(Currently: Bbn) - Sturdycaster (Wiz) - Stormfists(Mnk) - Zeess (Art) - Zessx (FvS)
    Thelanis
    ~I'm Back!~

This is an established policy since the game came out (2006) that they would not delete an account or take a name from a character even if inactive.

The company would need to change that policy.

Yep.

+1
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zess-wolf View Post
    I also want a name that has been taken and hasnt been logged since i joined the game (2009-2010), but nada.And i know they wont allow it, because TODAY a guy that hasnt played in 6 years logged and was running reaper with us, and i believe him.He had a rogue build. And the rogue had 386HP on 21 as it used to be ok prexpack1
    I took 6 years off as well - and it wouldn't have offended me one bit if I had come back "BoredGamer the Wizzened" - "BoredGamer the White" - or "Formerly known as BoredGamer".

I would support a 5 years off "name changed to something slightly more retired" - but clearly the fanatics here are fanatic.

Quote Originally Posted by boredGamer View Post
    I took 6 years off as well - and it wouldn't have offended me one bit if I had come back "BoredGamer the Wizzened" - "BoredGamer the White" - or "Formerly known as BoredGamer".

I would support a 5 years off "name changed to something slightly more retired" - but clearly the fanatics here are fanatic.
    If a system were in place where after extensive inactive periods used character names became available, I should think it would be more like A) the process of in-game name change where it gives you a prompt to change your name to something else or B) adds "-1" to the returning players name, similar to server transfer. Option A prevents people from coming back to a name that they actively dislike, while Option B eliminates the problem that most people seem to have with the concept of acquiring inactive names.

EDIT: Similarly, I wouldn't mind being given the option to acquire a used inactive name with the "-1" additive.
    Last edited by Lil_Jaxon; 08-18-2018 at 12:47 AM.

I too have wanted to use some names that I "know" are not actively being used. I think it's possible to do this in a responsible way that balances the needs of the former player with the needs of the still active community.

If the holder of the name is a paid-up VIP (thus contributing financially to the game), then fine, they're entitled to keep it whether they log into the account or not.

For non-VIPs, send them a notice at the 1 year mark advising them that their account appears to be inactive, and will be deleted if it is still inactive after the 2-year mark, and that they simply have to log in to refresh the status of the account. Send another e-mail at the 15-month, 18-month, and 21-month marks. At the 2-year mark, delete all characters in the account and send an e-mail advising as much. After that they may still be able to recover their characters by going through technical support (as with accidental character deletions), but some characters may need to be renamed if there are now name collisions (as with a server move).

A policy like the above would be more than generous imo.

i have been through a server closure. and lost the use of my toons name. from that i went on most servers and made a toon with my name on it so if a server closes or merges i still have my toons name.

there are toons that have been sitting just a few years and toons that have been sitting 9 years possibly more.

Guardian
    Hero
    Crown Clown

If a system were in place where after extensive inactive periods used character names became available, I should think it would be more like A) the process of in-game name change where it gives you a prompt to change your name to something else or B) adds "-1" to the returning players name, similar to server transfer. Option A prevents people from coming back to a name that they actively dislike, while Option B eliminates the problem that most people seem to have with the concept of acquiring inactive names.

EDIT: Similarly, I wouldn't mind being given the option to acquire a used inactive name with the "-1" additive.
    well, if you are extremely adamant about your name, and dont mind that -1 additive, a workaround would be to stroll all other servers and try to find 1 server with that name not taken, create your toon, and then pay for a character transfer to the server you want it on.
    I come from the west. Through countries, peoples, and cities - to this place: STORMREACH.
    My duty: Guardian. To mend and defend. To defend my newfound friends, their hopes, and dreams. To defend them from their enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrael View Post
    well, if you are extremely adamant about your name, and dont mind that -1 additive, a workaround would be to stroll all other servers and try to find 1 server with that name not taken, create your toon, and then pay for a character transfer to the server you want it on.
    While yes, that would make sense. That would also require me to essentially start over from scratch, which is kind of the opposite point of wanting to change my characters existing name. The more logical solution would be to find a server that the name is not used on, transfer my character to that server, rename them, then re-transfer back to my original server. Of course with the ridiculous price for a server transfer, let alone two, that becomes incredibly expensive and all together not consumer friendly when I, with what I am proposing, could instead purchase a single name change to acquire the used name with "-1" as an additive. The fact that I would have to pay an egresious sum for what is effectively a standard name change is an oddity and doesn't benefit the quality of life for longterm players who have the same issues with the current methods.

EDIT: Sorry, if that comes off snarky. Didn't mean it to come off that way, but hopefully you can understand that a character's name is not equivalent to the progress of a nearly decade old character.
    Last edited by Lil_Jaxon; 08-18-2018 at 02:44 AM.

Thanks for your valuable input on something that doesn't effect you (as long as you're an active player), however, i believe this is a conversation that requires more than a one word reply from someone who's opinion is just "nope"..
    In one sense, you are correct...
    Is there any length of inactivity that would warrant the ability to acquire that inactive characters name? Is this even possible, and if so, may i request the acquisition of said name?
    Nope, yep, and nope.

Look - you may think it's a great idea, and the guy who has that one name that they love may think it's a great idea, but the player who has just done 3 tours in the military overseas and finally wants to just sit down and get back to their character - they might well disagree.

And I - and, I hope, SSG - have to agree with them.

So... "nope" kinda does sum it all up nicely. Didn't need more than 1 word after all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast