Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Build Feedback

  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    457

    Default Build Feedback

    Hello all. Posting an end game druid wolf build to get feedback on optimization. It's a falconry Wis to hit/damage build focusing on melee DPS but with functional Mass Frog. Am I missing something obvious? This is my first melee based character. I've had him at cap for a few weeks and he's feeling pretty good, but I'm not sure if I'm tilting too much towards melee.

    Edited to include: plenty of past lives and tomes, so not a first life build.

    Code:
    Character name: 
    Classes: 20 Druid, 10 Epic
    Race: Aasimar Scourge      Alignment: Neutral
    
         Start Tome Final
    Str:    10    7    46      HP:       1493      AC:   140
    Dex:    12    7    51      PRR:       243
    Con:    16    7    65      MRR:        82      +Healing Amp:    95
    Int:    12    7    37      Dodge:   30/23      -Healing Amp:    20
    Wis:    20    7    80      Fort:     217%      Repair Amp:      20
    Cha:     8    7    24      SR:          0      BAB:             20
    DR: 1\-
    Immunities: Poison, Spawn effects of Undead, Knockdown, Falling damage, Blindness, Fear
    
    
    Class and Feat Selection
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Level Class            Feats
                           Level 1 Requires a +1 Heart of Wood to switch out of Iconic Class
      1   Druid(1)         Standard: Martial Weapon Proficiency: Great Sword
      2   Druid(2)         Druid Wild Shape: Wild Shape: Wolf
      3   Druid(3)         Standard: Natural Fighting
      4   Druid(4)         Wisdom: +1 Level up
      5   Druid(5)         Druid Wild Shape: Wild Shape: Bear
      6   Druid(6)         Standard: Natural Fighting
      7   Druid(7)         
      8   Druid(8)         Druid Wild Shape: Wild Shape: Winter Wolf
                           Wisdom: +1 Level up
      9   Druid(9)         Standard: Quicken Spell
     10   Druid(10)        
     11   Druid(11)        Druid Wild Shape: Wild Shape: Dire Bear
     12   Druid(12)        Standard: Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
                           Wisdom: +1 Level up
     13   Druid(13)        Druid Wild Shape: Wild Shape: Water Elemental
     14   Druid(14)        
     15   Druid(15)        Standard: Natural Fighting
     16   Druid(16)        Wisdom: +1 Level up
     17   Druid(17)        Druid Wild Shape: Wild Shape: Fire Elemental
     18   Druid(18)        Standard: Spell Focus: Evocation
     19   Druid(19)        
     20   Druid(20)        Wisdom: +1 Level up
     21   Epic(1)          Epic Feat: Overwhelming Critical
     22   Epic(2)          
     23   Epic(3)          
     24   Epic(4)          Epic Feat: Dodge
                           Wisdom: +1 Level up
     25   Epic(5)          
     26   Epic(6)          Epic Destiny Feat: Perfect Two Weapon Fighting
     27   Epic(7)          Epic Feat: Precision
     28   Epic(8)          Epic Destiny Feat: Mass Frog
                           Wisdom: +1 Level up
     29   Epic(9)          Epic Destiny Feat: Dire Charge
     30   Epic(10)         Epic Feat: Burst of Glacial Wrath
                           Legendary: Scion of the Ethereal Plane
    
    Enhancements: 80 APs and 12 Racial APs
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Aasimar: Scourge of the Undead - Points spent: 12
     1 Core  (1) Stronger Bonds I
     2 Core  (2) Ability I: +1 Wisdom
     3 Core  (1) Stronger Bonds II
     4 Core  (2) Ability II: +1 Wisdom
     5 Tier1 (2) Improved Recovery I
     6 Tier2 (1) Arcanum
     7 Tier2 (1) Arcanum
     8 Tier3 (2) Improved Recovery II
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Falconry - Points spent: 30
     1 Core  (1) Summon Falcon: Summon White Falcon
     2 Tier1 (1) Out in Nature
     3 Tier1 (1) Out in Nature
     4 Tier1 (1) Out in Nature
     5 Tier1 (1) Practiced Accuracy
     6 Core  (2) Ability I: Wisdom
     7 Tier2 (2) Killer Instinct I
     8 Tier1 (1) Practiced Accuracy
     9 Tier3 (2) Killer Instinct II
    10 Tier3 (1) Strike for the Eyes: Strike for the Eyes
    11 Tier3 (2) Conditioning
    12 Core  (1) Well Rounded I
    13 Tier1 (1) Rugged
    14 Tier1 (1) Rugged
    15 Tier1 (1) Rugged
    16 Tier2 (1) Action Boost: Sprint
    17 Core  (2) Ability II: Wisdom
    18 Tier4 (1) Deadly Instinct
    19 Tier4 (1) Deadly Instinct
    20 Tier4 (1) Deadly Instinct
    21 Tier4 (1) No Mercy
    22 Tier4 (1) No Mercy
    23 Tier4 (1) No Mercy
    24 Tier4 (1) Coordinated Strikes: Coordinated Cleave
    25 Tier4 (1) Expose Weakness
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nature's Protector - Points spent: 6
     1 Core  (1) ature's Protector
     2 Tier1 (1) Improved Nature's Defense I: Enchanted Defense
     3 Tier1 (1) Improved Nature's Defense I: Enchanted Defense
     4 Tier1 (1) Improved Nature's Defense I: Enchanted Defense
     5 Tier1 (1) Fey's Blessing
     6 Core  (1) Nature's Defense
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nature's Warrior - Points spent: 44
     1 Core  (1) Natural Adept
     2 Tier1 (1) Take Down
     3 Tier1 (1) Take Down
     4 Tier1 (1) Take Down
     5 Tier1 (1) Bestial Nature
     6 Core  (1) Nature's Senses
     7 Tier2 (1) Flight
     8 Tier2 (1) Flight
     9 Tier2 (1) Flight
    10 Tier2 (2) Ghost Wolf
    11 Core  (1) Nature's Bounty
    12 Tier3 (1) Ghost Wolf Pack
    13 Tier3 (1) Essence of the Shrike
    14 Tier3 (1) Essence of the Shrike
    15 Tier3 (2) Ability I: +1 Wisdom
    16 Tier3 (1) Prey on the Weak
    17 Tier3 (1) Prey on the Weak
    18 Tier3 (1) Fight
    19 Tier3 (1) Fight
    20 Tier3 (1) Fight
    21 Core  (1) A True Hunter
    22 Tier4 (1) Fatal Harrier
    23 Tier4 (1) Fatal Harrier
    24 Tier4 (1) Fatal Harrier
    25 Tier4 (1) Four Legs Good
    26 Tier4 (1) Ferocity
    27 Tier4 (1) Ferocity
    28 Tier4 (1) Ferocity
    29 Tier4 (2) Ability II: +1 Wisdom
    30 Core  (1) Howl of Winter
    31 Tier5 (1) Alpha Strike
    32 Tier5 (1) Alpha Strike
    33 Tier5 (1) Alpha Strike
    34 Tier5 (2) Swift Hunter
    35 Tier5 (1) Throat Rip
    36 Tier5 (2) Jaws of Ice
    37 Tier5 (1) Go for the Kill
    38 Core  (1) Beast Form Mastery
    39 Tier1 (1) Bestial Nature
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    
    Active Destiny Tree
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Legendary Dreadnought - Points spent: 24
     1 Core  (0) Shrug Off Punishment
     2 Core  (0) Action Hero
     3 Core  (0) Unstoppable
     4 Core  (0) Action Boost Unmovable
     5 Core  (0) Action Boost Thick Skinned
     6 Core  (0) Combat Brute
     7 Tier1 (2) Ability I: +1 Constitution
     8 Tier1 (1) Extra Action Boost
     9 Tier1 (1) Extra Action Boost
    10 Tier1 (1) Extra Action Boost
    11 Tier2 (2) Ability II: +1 Constitution
    12 Tier1 (1) Legendary Tactics
    13 Tier3 (1) Critical Damage
    14 Tier3 (1) Critical Damage
    15 Tier3 (1) Critical Damage
    16 Tier1 (1) Legendary Tactics
    17 Tier1 (1) Legendary Tactics
    18 Tier3 (2) Ability III: +1 Constitution
    19 Tier3 (1) Action Boost Haste
    20 Tier3 (1) Action Boost Haste
    21 Tier3 (1) Action Boost Haste
    22 Tier5 (2) Devastating Critical
    23 Tier5 (2) Advancing Blows
    24 Tier6 (2) Master's Blitz Epic Moment: Masters Blitz: PRR
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    
    Twists of fate - 35 of 37------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Fate points spent.
    Twist 1 - Tier 4: Fury of the Wild: Sense Weakness
    Twist 2 - Tier 3: Shadowdancer: Grim Precision
    Twist 3 - Tier 2: Magister: Spell School Specialist: Spell School Specialist: Evocation
    Twist 4 - Tier 1: Divine Crusader: Ability I: +1 Wisdom
    Twist 5 - Tier 1: Exalted Angel: Ability I: +1 Wisdom
    
    Equipped Gear Set : Standard
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Armor         Legendary Mist-laden Vestment
    Belt          Legendary Braided Cutcord
    Boots         Cannith Crafted Boots
                  Cannith Boots Prefix: +15 Dodge
                  Cannith Boots Suffix: +38 Sheltering
                  Cannith Boots Extra: +7 Insightful Dodge
                  Yellow: Empty augment slot
    Bracers       Legendary Lore-Fuelled Packbanner
    Cloak         Legendary Shadowhail Cloak
    Gloves        Molten Silver Gauntlets
    Goggles       Cannith Crafted Goggles
                  Cannith Goggles Prefix: +6 Transmutation Focus
                  Cannith Goggles Suffix: +15 Melee Alacrity
                  Cannith Goggles Extra: +7 Insightful Wisdom
                  Yellow: Topaz of Feather Fall
    Helmet        Legendary Mighty Stormreach Guardian's Helm
    Necklace      Fleetfoot Necklace
    Ring1         Legendary Ring of Nightfall
    Ring2         Legendary Ring of Prowess
    Trinket       Echo of Ravenkind
    Weapon1       Legendary Echo of Blackrazor
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Goggles and Boots are cannith crafted. I'm about 1500 codex runes away from being able to make a 2 piece oppo set for some additional hitpoints, which may go into those slots for added ability to survive, though with the melee defensive changes coming, that may not be necessary as my feats should qualify for 50% hitpoints. Goggles and Belt can be swapped for Garstone's and Silverthread if I need to come out of wolf and be dedicated healer. Vulkor's Edge swap for metaline.

    Feedback welcome!

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ghallanda
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Temporary spellpoints are fuel that allows the wolf to rapid cast all thier innate attacks. And you get them for critical hits. A falcion 15-20 beats a great sword 17-20. Is blackrazor really powerful enough to justify running out of spell points?

    I'd consider going for the core 5 in Falconry. +3 melee +3 PRR +3 MRR +2 spot. Just 1 AP more in falconry and you can probably get it from Nature Warrior.

    You're probably going to end up overloading your primary hotkey bar with attacks.

    Baiting Bite / Trip / Jaws of Winter /Snowslide / Go for the Kill / throat strike / alpha strike / ghost pack / dire charge / 3 bird strikes

    That's 12 melee attacks! And more attacks than you can realistically use. Decide which attacks you will use and don't waste AP on those you aren't going to use. I'd probably skip throat strike and jaws of winter and free up 2 AP.

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    829

    Default

    If you're going with Aasimar Scourge, it really pays to take Improved Scourge Weapons for the +5% Doublestrike.

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    249

    Default Stuff

    Some suggestions.

    Dodge or evocation feat at 24 I'd switch to mauls. Alot of blunt DR is around and you can't master touch a two hander. Pick up a Tremor from Baba and slot with deconstruct augment so its good vs skeletons and golems. If the dodge is needed can twist or put more points into defensive reaper tree. (Dodge feat is no longer needed for for legs good)

    The WIS twists seem strange to me. 1 dc and 1 hit and damage. Could be stealthy for 6 assassinate dc or legendary tactics for 6 dc on snow slide/dire/jaws. Assassinate DC seems to be a hard one to raise I'd put priority on stealthy.

    I'd nix the evocation DC idea as gearing does not support it as your going to be missing quality, artifact, insight and also from build stand point enhancements and legendary feat. 9-13 dc. Maybe past lives get you into useable range but its doubtful.
    Last edited by Rush007; 08-14-2018 at 08:41 PM.

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elvesunited View Post
    Temporary spellpoints are fuel that allows the wolf to rapid cast all thier innate attacks. And you get them for critical hits. A falcion 15-20 beats a great sword 17-20. Is blackrazor really powerful enough to justify running out of spell points?

    I'd consider going for the core 5 in Falconry. +3 melee +3 PRR +3 MRR +2 spot. Just 1 AP more in falconry and you can probably get it from Nature Warrior.

    You're probably going to end up overloading your primary hotkey bar with attacks.

    Baiting Bite / Trip / Jaws of Winter /Snowslide / Go for the Kill / throat strike / alpha strike / ghost pack / dire charge / 3 bird strikes

    That's 12 melee attacks! And more attacks than you can realistically use. Decide which attacks you will use and don't waste AP on those you aren't going to use. I'd probably skip throat strike and jaws of winter and free up 2 AP.
    I haven't really run out of spellpoints, except in protracted fights like shroud. Normally I can get to a shrine with half or more mana left. Blackrazor hits hard, and the neg level procs are very nice. I feel like it outperforms the Tail of the Scorpion, but I will probably run some trials to confirm.

    I'll look at some of the attacks and see if I can re-jigger for well rounded 3. I run active abilities on 3 hotbars, using shift and ctrl to toggle which attack to use. And yes, all three are full of stuff. Throat strike isn't often used, I can probably swap some stuff around there.

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hjarki View Post
    If you're going with Aasimar Scourge, it really pays to take Improved Scourge Weapons for the +5% Doublestrike.
    I had assumed that only worked with the scourge weapons. I knew I missed something obvious! Thanks.

  7. #7
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    18,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zretch View Post
    I had assumed that only worked with the scourge weapons. I knew I missed something obvious! Thanks.
    Some of the Scourge abilities only work with their racial weapons; but the +5% doublestrike which Hjarki mentions is a generic bonus. Since you're already spending so many APs into your racial tree anyway, might as well shift 2 points into that. Probably by dropping Arcanum; you don't need Spell Pen for most druid spells.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Some of the Scourge abilities only work with their racial weapons; but the +5% doublestrike which Hjarki mentions is a generic bonus. Since you're already spending so many APs into your racial tree anyway, might as well shift 2 points into that. Probably by dropping Arcanum; you don't need Spell Pen for most druid spells.
    Yep, did that last night. My standing doublestrike is 90%, and the level 18 core pushes it to 100% for 10 seconds of every 30, so that fits perfectly. Arcanum was where I took the points.

    Thanks Hjarki and Unbongwah!

    I also shifted a point out of go for the throat and put it into the next well rounded in Falconry.

    I was running some numbers between L Tail of the Scorpion and L Echo of Blackrazor. They seem almost identical in average damage output (114.75 for scorp, 115.5 for razor), but I'm still thinking Blackrazor is the better weapon.

    Entropic 9 is untyped vs Poison 9 which can be resisted. On a roll of 20, the 3 neg levels works against more things more often than a vorpal that has a 3k hitpoint requirement. Yes, the falchion crits more often but between 45% base attack speed (30 in wolf form + 15 melee alacrity) with an additional 30% from haste boost, 25% from fatal harrier, and 90-100% doublestrike....I crit a LOT, even with the 17-20 vs the 15-20 crit range. Add on top the blackrazor can accumulate up to +20 damage and +20 melee power if you're getting killshots (which I do when I solo) and it's just icing on the cake. I think I'm going to stick with Proficiency Greatsword and look at Mauls to see if Maul Proficiency is what I want to do with the Dodge feat (I'm at 27% dodge via gear, and my cap is 28%, so the dodge feat is really only giving me 1%). I'm about 2 runs away from being able to buy another Baba item, but I'm not sure I want to pay that price for a DR breaker vs something that might be useful for more types of builds.
    Last edited by Zretch; 08-15-2018 at 10:53 AM.

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rush007 View Post
    Some suggestions.

    Dodge or evocation feat at 24 I'd switch to mauls. Alot of blunt DR is around and you can't master touch a two hander. Pick up a Tremor from Baba and slot with deconstruct augment so its good vs skeletons and golems. If the dodge is needed can twist or put more points into defensive reaper tree. (Dodge feat is no longer needed for for legs good)

    The WIS twists seem strange to me. 1 dc and 1 hit and damage. Could be stealthy for 6 assassinate dc or legendary tactics for 6 dc on snow slide/dire/jaws. Assassinate DC seems to be a hard one to raise I'd put priority on stealthy.

    I'd nix the evocation DC idea as gearing does not support it as your going to be missing quality, artifact, insight and also from build stand point enhancements and legendary feat. 9-13 dc. Maybe past lives get you into useable range but its doubtful.
    Great suggestions on the twists. I went lithe to replace Evoc Specialist, Stealthy for one of the wisdom twists, and the +reflex and tumble through mobs tier 1 for the other wisdom twist. 91 hide goes nice with Scion of Ethereal, and a mid-80s reflex save makes me feel better about taking the evasion tier 5 in wolf.

    Thanks!

  10. #10
    Community Member ThomasHunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    563

    Default Quarterstaff?

    I think this template is quite helpful - thanks!

    How about using quarterstaves instead of the other choices? Is the loss too great for DPS? I do like the flavor of it!

    Thanks!

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasHunter View Post
    I think this template is quite helpful - thanks!

    How about using quarterstaves instead of the other choices? Is the loss too great for DPS? I do like the flavor of it!

    Thanks!
    You can certainly give it a try. Being in wolf form, the look and animations are all the same no matter what weapon you choose, so if there's a quarterstaff you like better than other weapon selections (elemental bloom or some other q-staff with a proc or effect you really want), then swap over to it. At cap, I tended to do my best damage with keen weapons as the +2W adder made a meaningful contribution to my damage numbers.

  12. #12
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    18,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasHunter View Post
    How about using quarterstaves instead of the other choices? Is the loss too great for DPS? I do like the flavor of it!
    Staves vs other 2H weapons:
    • Pros: higher attack speed and Quick Strike (+20% doublestrike) from Acrobat or Henshin
    • Cons: lower base [W] and lousy crit threat range (20/x2)


    The pros of staves don't carry over to wolf form, while the cons do. Shillelagh works with a lot of staves, but the best named ones are not wood so they won't benefit. So unless you have plans to use specific staves - e.g., Sireth should be fine just due to its high crit range - it's a major DPS hit.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

  13. #13
    Community Member ThomasHunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    563

    Default Spelled out

    Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Staves vs other 2H weapons:
    • Pros: higher attack speed and Quick Strike (+20% doublestrike) from Acrobat or Henshin
    • Cons: lower base [W] and lousy crit threat range (20/x2)


    The pros of staves don't carry over to wolf form, while the cons do. Shillelagh works with a lot of staves, but the best named ones are not wood so they won't benefit. So unless you have plans to use specific staves - e.g., Sireth should be fine just due to its high crit range - it's a major DPS hit.
    Thanks for spelling this out nicely. Maybe at low levels I'll go with it, but I'll switch to a two-hander later on (I was planning on going pure druid).

    Thanks again!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload