Community Member

Default Which slot to craft for rogue gear

Hello,

I looked online and couldn't find anything. I just started crafting but the most annoying thing for me was keeping search, open locks, disable device and spot up to date. So I am planning on crafting some gear but wasn't sure what is the best way to go about it. Is there any slot that is "worse". I am planning on making a search+spot and disable+open lock item. But wasn't sure what item to make it. Is there a preference or does it not matter? I was thinking gloves, helmet, or goggles.

I read through all the comments and just wanted to say thank you for all the responses, all my questions were answered
    Last edited by DDOcam; 08-13-2018 at 06:11 PM.

Spot can go wherever you can fit it.

Search, Disable and Open Lock are all best left as swap items. I typically make Search goggles, Disable goggles, and Open Lock gloves.

If you want to try and equip everything so you don't have to swap, Spare Hand is worth a look. Also Treasure Hunter's Spyglass while crystal cove is still open.

I have pairs of Spot/Search/Ins. Search Goggles and Open Lock/Disable Device/Ins. Disable Device Goggles that I made at a couple of intervals.

Quote Originally Posted by DDOcam View Post
    ... I am planning on making a search+spot and disable+open lock item. But wasn't sure what item to make it. Is there a preference or does it not matter? I was thinking gloves, helmet, or goggles.
    You don't want to interfere w/ your Int item (assuming you're an Int build), so any other slot than that. Int feeds both Search and DD, and (assuming...) combat, so you don't want to mess w/ that gear.

re Spot - Unless you have every trap location in the quest memorized, better is wearing a dedicated Wis+Spot item, that you wear full time (until it's time to disable/etc.). This also boosts your Will ST while you're running around, which is a weak spot for Rogue (but not Arti's).

There are a couple ways to achieve this - dealer's choice which route you go.

Community Member

I prefer to have them on various goggles and swap them when needed. I've found it to be the easiest slot for it, at least in early levels. I usually swap now to the Keylock Ring from Ravenloft at lvl 10, and the old version of the Epic Spyglass from Cove around lvl 16 or so (Spyglass still requires me to swap in a search item somewhere though, which is usually goggles). So basically, I wear spot goggles until I get to a trap, swap to search to find it, swap to disable to take it down. As you progress, these things become more consolidated. By lvl 10, I have two crafted goggles (before the keylock ring existed): disable/open lock/insightful disable, and search/spot/insightful search. That generally does it for me.
    Graceana, assassin ~ Xiya, tempest ~ Shinshi, shintao ~ Ayaxi, thief-acrobat ~ Saravi, cleric ~ Sanziana, arcane archer ~ Kyudojin, mechanic
    Talvi, caster druid ~ Zinzie, shiradi sorc ~ Kishori, spellsinger ~ Faunia, wolf druid ~ Viven, warchanter ~ Jianqiao, ninja spy
    Cliodna, wizard ~ Serenwyn, swashbuckler ~ Duisteri, shuribuild ~ Mahuika, warlock ~ Narabali, tank ~ Tabbithah, artificer
    The Casual Obsession
    Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    Ask for TWEAKS and ye shall receive, and lo, the nerfhammer shall be moderate. Ask for cow from orbit and ye shall receive that, too, and be sorry you did.

level range? Crafting level?

For heroics I have ML 10 stuff with insightful—gloves for traps, goggles for seeing them
    ROGUE Part QUATRE: Prove your Stealth Skills! Deadline SOOON!
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked level 4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    Hope extinguished leaves fading memories of better times.

Quote Originally Posted by DDOcam View Post
    Hello,

I looked online and couldn't find anything. I just started crafting but the most annoying thing for me was keeping search, open locks, disable device and spot up to date. So I am planning on crafting some gear but wasn't sure what is the best way to go about it. Is there any slot that is "worse". I am planning on making a search+spot and disable+open lock item. But wasn't sure what item to make it. Is there a preference or does it not matter? I was thinking gloves, helmet, or goggles.
    I have always switched items when disabling, unlocking and searching. The only thing I took care of was keeping spot max.ed.

So spot was on goggles. Whether named ones or crafted. I used maximum bonus goggles or hybrids granting spot + dps or spot + utility. Convinience like automatically discerning trap boxes demanded keeping search on an active item as well.

If you switch items it doesn't matter. If you use certain enhancements you craft your fixed slots items and build all other stuff around that. Basically like every gearsetup at any level range. If you implement INT just divide between goggles and helmet slot, which way does not matter, maybe a little bit, if you want to consider insightful bonuses. Craft disable and open lock rings, which you only use for swapping. If you are concerned about WIS for boosting spot even more, you should divide between 3 item slots as you see fit. That also will limit your actual choice for a slot.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Googles:
    Search & Disable Device is prefix
    Spot & Open Locks is Suffix

Gloves:
    Disable Device & Open Locks is prefix
    Insightful Disable Device is Suffix

---
    Generally I create
    two googles - one for Search and one for spot
    two gloves - one for disable and one for open locks

I do this because I've trained myself to swap gear for these situations. But you can see you can just create two Googles - One for Search/Spot and one for Disable Device/Open Locks.

@Eonach

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    Googles:
    Search & Disable Device is prefix
    Spot & Open Locks is Suffix

Gloves:
    Disable Device & Open Locks is prefix
    Insightful Disable Device is Suffix

---
    Generally I create
    two googles - one for Search and one for spot
    two gloves - one for disable and one for open locks

I do this because I've trained myself to swap gear for these situations. But you can see you can just create two Googles - One for Search/Spot and one for Disable Device/Open Locks.
    However, the convinience of Elven and Artificer auto detection is just soooo awesome. Sometimes item swapping is just annoying and it might be worth having less 1st world problems ;PP. Not diminsihing the suggestion, though.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus