Community Member

Default Easiest Insta-kill DC caster?

If a person has no caster based PL’s but wants to play an instakill DC based character, how would one go about doing so? My wife really wants to try a build like this.

What class/race?
    If only using farmed gear?
    What mobs require high spell pen?

We’ve only played melee based characters thus far but are looking to branch out.

Any other pointers are appreciated!

Sadly it is still most likely a Warlock 20 (Aasimar, in Exalted Angel), several possible builds too (ER,LR) if one does not work out.

//For Ravenloft stuff Clerics are pretty good even with just the named loot, and moderately high wisdom.
    Everybody knows that the dice are loaded, Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by dbik View Post
    If a person has no caster based PL’s but wants to play an instakill DC based character, how would one go about doing so? My wife really wants to try a build like this.

What class/race?

We’ve only played melee based characters thus far but are looking to branch out.

On what difficulty is the main point of whether or not its viable.
    Normal just about any decently geared should be fine.. higher you go the less viable a first life and the more stringent the requirements.
    Sarlona- Fistalis, Caberonia, Kerlik, Mashbirs, Molleck, Burrthistle, Enlitened, Rotheril, Maginos, Urrock, Talathis- Scholars of Aureon

The spell resistant monsters are commonly drow and outsiders with a scattering of others. The immune types vary by spell to some degree and the list is lengthy, but all red names are immune to every insta kill. The bottom line is have a fall back option if duoing you will need it in most quests. Some quests you can charm regular monsters to kill the immune types but in most quests you will need dps capability at some or many points.

I am finding the new favored soul AOV tree to be a strong mix for dcs and dps for shortman or solo questing right now competitive with warlock.
    Percivaul Dusol, BadRandall and Shortpact--The Silver Legion

Community Member

What class/race?

What difficulty u wanna playing? Deep gnome illusionist necromancer is really strong till elite / epic elite

If u wanna play reaper i suggest dragonborn warlock with fiend pact or aasimar fvs. All pure class

Youneed all spell pen features and enhacements but prolly wont pass over 50% drow spell pen
    I suggest avoid tethimar chain ��
    Last edited by Alled78; 08-12-2018 at 04:32 AM.
    In game in Cannith as
    Aborim Master (main toon) --- Nickallin (my tank)--- Jjnick (warlock 30) --- Nickpunick ()--- Nickruvido (my healer)--- Nickallinone (shuri build)
    GODS

What class/race?

20 Wizard, Drow or Morninglord.

Because you don't have PL's you will want to take all the spellpen feats, so you'll want a class with extra feats. You could make a Wizard, five extra feats, Drow or Morninglord (requires lesser heart of wood +1) they get additional spellpen in their racial enhansmants. Use the extra feats to boost necro DC and spellpen.

Community Member

None are really easy it requires investment in gear, feats, reaper tree, tomes, twists, etc. There isn't much room for trade-offs without significantly hurting your dcs. Instakill builds look good in parties, but aren't as easy to play solo as many other builds, although warlock is the easiest of the instakill builds to solo due to free dps. A few options:

- Favored Soul: This is probably the easiest-button dc build you can build with implosion, mass frog, death to undeath, destruction and slay living. Favored Soul has a stronger DC potential in secondary schools which makes it preferable to me over cleric. Implosion and Mass frog work on things that regular necromany doesn't kill. It's also a high hit point, high healing amp, easy self healing build on top of everything else.
    - Cleric Death Domain: You get a the same as favored soul with an extra destruction SLA and you would focus necro as primary school for sure where favored soul might choose evocation for implosion.
    - Deep Gnome Illusionist/Necro: Super high illusion DC due to 3 racial and 3 from tier 1 twist draconic presence plus 2 phantasmal killer slas. This is a good build for normal/hard/elite/low skull reaper but the way the scaling works it's not as good at high skulls as other builds.
    - Warlock: In addition to finger of death, wail of the banshee, death to undeath you get finger of death sla, devour sla (based on wisdom instead of fort which is key) and either hurl through hell or power word kill + phantasmal killer depending on whether you go fire/acid. DC potential and spell point pool are both lower but slas help with that tremendously. When death spells don't work you have tentacles for cc and free dps. This makes it good for soloing.

My personal opinion is favored soul would be best for you right now - Aasimar wisdom based. It will give you alot of hp and heal amp on top of the instakill, solo potential is still there. Plus you bring healing and instakill/cc to the party - a very good thing.

If you want to primarily solo I would go warlock instead as you won't have to worry about spell management issues.

If you want to get an idea about gear, feats, enhancements, twists, etc. I have a favored soul and warlock dc build linked in my signature. I am currently running wisdom favored soul and warlock and happy with both.
    Last edited by slarden; 08-12-2018 at 08:05 AM.

Community Member

Thank you for all the input! For what its worth I am running in Epics R1-3 on my melee builds, but generally in a group.

I will be returning to heroics to knock out some more racial AP soon.

What class/race?

Focus on your DC stat. I mean really focus on it, even when it hurts other things. You trade off a point here for some utility and a point there for some other utility and your resulting DC will be lacking. All twists from tier 1 through tier 4, excepting only Cocoon perhaps. Feats, enhancements, destiny, sentient jewel, gear, all hyper focused on building that DC stat plus DC contributors.

Spell penetration is something you look at after you've got the stat as high as it can go.

Hands down cleric death domain

Arcane casters are at the bottom of the barrel these days of all the classes

Wail and cod are just way too slow to get off reliably with a good cleric in the house

And hurl has a horrible animation and can't be quikened

First life only a wiz probably will have enough feats to get even close to relaiable dcs-spell pen but no wiz pass so meh

And epic casters have the worst dps of all
    Last edited by mr420247; 08-12-2018 at 08:48 PM.
    Damonz Cannith