Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Server Merge...

Community Member

Default Server Merge...

Maybe this has been talked about a lot before, but I really think this needs to happen. A lot of problems maybe with name reservation and such, but the lack of players for on/off new players like me is really damaging to the spirit of the game, IMO.

Population is fine, play during peak hours. A merge isnt needed.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Madae View Post
    Maybe this has been talked about a lot before, but I really think this needs to happen. A lot of problems maybe with name reservation and such, but the lack of players for on/off new players like me is really damaging to the spirit of the game, IMO.

Nope. You're the first one. Ever.

Sadly, the game is badly populated outside of peak hours and merging servers might help.
    Even when some players don't understand or care that people play outside of those hours and find 35-60 people online at best when they play, all spread across the full lv range.

The dev responce has always been that its technically very difficult merge all the data bases(think about all the tr caches, shared bank, ingredient storage and the server based pet system).
    And there were isssues with people using the same name on every server.
    Though other games managed to solve this, aion for example had several mergers over the years, the devs didn't think the population was low enough to solve these issues.

I do however understand where you're comming from, i find myself often leading a nigh empty lfm all weekend, i can only recomend to find a server that is beter populated.
    On the other hand, if the remaining game community has such a hard time understanding situations that differs from theirs, it might be a good time to take your money elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by lyrecono View Post
    Sadly, the game is badly populated outside of peak hours and merging servers might help.
    Even when some players don't understand or care that people play outside of those hours and find 35-60 people online at best when they play, all spread across the full lv range.

The dev responce has always been that its technically very difficult merge all the data bases(think about all the tr caches, shared bank, ingredient storage and the server based pet system).
    And there were isssues with people using the same name on every server.
    Though other games managed to solve this, aion for example had several mergers over the years, the devs didn't think the population was low enough to solve these issues.

I do however understand where you're comming from, i find myself often leading a nigh empty lfm all weekend, i can only recomend to find a server that is beter populated.
    On the other hand, if the remaining game community has such a hard time understanding situations that differs from theirs, it might be a good time to take your money elsewhere.
    I'm not too invested. I come back every once in awhile and end up playing for a bit/relearning everything. It's just disappointing that there's hardly anyone to group with, and then when you find a group, it's someone who is on their 10th life or something and just blazes through the content like it's a chore. Rarely I find someone who is new and we can actually enjoy the content and do everything in a quest, even if it isn't "efficient". I have the most fun being a completionist of sorts.

Instead of server mergers, maybe they could start doing the progression server options? Release a new server, no transfers, and then new content every month or so. I suppose there is the argument that it would "split the population even more", but my experience with fresh start servers is that they experience quite a burst of population for a good while before people move on to something else. It would be nice to experience the game the way it was meant to be played again with actual challenge and no TR's.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrTrolol View Post
    Errm peak hours eh. It may not be feasible for people to choose to play between say 2:00-6:00 am, which happens to be the time needed for people from Europe/Africa to play during peak hours. For other areas of the world peak hours are right in the middle of their work/school-hours so literally impossible to be on for them unless they wanna lose their jobs.

And no, I'm not a big proponent for a merge (afraid of more lag) but merely pointing out that your suggestion is simply not a possible solution for people with regular school/jobs in other areas than for example US/Canada/Central & South America.
    Last edited by grandeibra; 08-10-2018 at 01:23 AM.

I agree OP
    Without new players DDO will go the way of the dodo.
    r10 @ 30 stuff, Sorc Build Guide, Lagwipe Log, Ghallanda

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrTrolol View Post
    People like this are those that annoy me.

Yes i agree OP.

Personally, i'm glad i am more of a solo player. But that also makes raids and unsoloable quests undoable. There were a lot of raids before that I could never do due to no people. Or even just quests like Crucible, or Necro 2, it's not often I could ever run those before.

Now, i am level 13 on a Legend toon and have never once found an LFM for anything my level during the 1 month I've been running my toon on Sarlona. That's pretty bad.

Community Member

p.s. I run at USA peak hours

Community Member

I'm not too invested. I come back every once in awhile and end up playing for a bit/relearning everything. It's just disappointing that there's hardly anyone to group with, and then when you find a group, it's someone who is on their 10th life or something and just blazes through the content like it's a chore. Rarely I find someone who is new and we can actually enjoy the content and do everything in a quest, even if it isn't "efficient". I have the most fun being a completionist of sorts.

Instead of server mergers, maybe they could start doing the progression server options? Release a new server, no transfers, and then new content every month or so. I suppose there is the argument that it would "split the population even more", but my experience with fresh start servers is that they experience quite a burst of population for a good while before people move on to something else. It would be nice to experience the game the way it was meant to be played again with actual challenge and no TR's.
    ha ha ha, that one made me laugh, 10th, ha!

A progression server sounds nice, but all that content would be just as trivial on elite on day one (r1 would be too after a week of reaper xp). Past lives are nice but they are nothing compared to the inflation on random and newer named gear, mp/rp/sp/mrr/prr/dodge (that's not just +AC), and wow.... enhancements and EDs are huge huge power gains, and reaper points.

I really like seasons/leagues/etc in simpler games, but the game mechanics have changed so much in DDO over the years that stuff would still be easy outside reaper. You are not going to see a legacy server with no prr/mrr, old enhancements without trees, and the like.

I'm not saying you could roll up the worst build you can come up with, but a good build is fine on a first lifer with no gear. Before reaper came out, we had a static group that did a first life new found gear only life, no problems elite all the way. After that we did a no AP spent life, we only got to 12 because reaper came out and we lost interest in it, but it really made me appreciate how much of the power creep is in the enhancement trees.

I agree with OP but I don't think it will happen.

In my opinion, server merge will definitely help grouping. The more people online, the more LFM you can join. But... SSG already said 'NO' to server merge, then ... well ... we have to find an alternative way to continue playing.

I play on Argonnessen and my time zone is CST (UTC+8), so it's very difficult to find a group to play with. Generally speaking, there are only 2-4 LFMs during my play time. Even though I post my own LFM and I would probably end up soloing the whole quest. As time goes by, I find out I become a soloer eventually and realize that this would be the only way if I still want to play this game, it's sad but true. Transferring to another server will not help at all, the situation would be the same.

But to be honest, server merge means nothing to me now because I already get used to solo. If SSG release a single player mode version of DDO, I still can play it without any problem. LOL
    In some way or another, DDO is no more an online game to me.

Community Member

To begin, I would support a server merge so bear with me.

I don't think they help as much as people hope. There have been, 2 merges in Swotor, now I am on Setale Shan, my 3rd server, there were 76 people on the Repub fleet on Saturday during the day, one instance. That's really low.

In Lotro, I don't know, just like in DDO, I don't know. I joined really great guilds (by being nice myself heh). If I need help in DDO, I just ask for it, in Lotro, ask for it. That's the solution to a lot of problems, be nice, join a good guild. I never really need help though, I have a laptop I bring up maps on beside my gaming computer. But I will help other guildies, always.

I still see a lot of activity but a good chunk of it is in Discord or chat channels. TR's, good builds, gear, Reaper points, and general experience create large gaps and players look for ways to form strong groups for higher Reaper content instead of the randomness of LFMs. It's a logical solution for the challenge, but it doesn't lend itself well to players without that access for whatever reason. This existed before Reaper, but I think Reaper accelerated it. Regardless of why people don't see a lot of LFMs, including the time they play, I think a server merge would help. We've had server merges before. There are some new systems since then that would need to be figured out like TR cache and guild ships. There are some down sides like lost character and guild names. Also some people didn't like the culture change since servers do have some cultural differences. I personally think the benefits would outweigh the downsides but we don't have access to player population stats to know where things are trending.
    Ghallanda: Save the newbie, save the world.

Community Member

Population is pretty dire late at night.

Talking below 100 on Thelanis (and on most other servers when I checked).

That's pretty incredible for an mmorpg.

Most people seem to have blinkers on.

Personally I think cross-server grouping or free/v. cheap server transfers is the way to go.
    Server: Thelanis
    Guild: Fallen Immortals
    Toons: Soza, Sozz, Sozza, Sossa (bards)

Instead of server merges, why not just allow free server transfer's for 1 or 2 weeks. Give everyone a good heads up prior so the various guilds could advertise their groups / playtimes and / or SSG could post not numbers per se, but data showing when the bulk of the players are on for the different servers.

Let those that want to move around do so while not bothering those that are happy where they are.
    Aias Iceforge. Barbarian Ice Dwarf - Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by supot2 View Post
    People like this are those that annoy me.

Yes i agree OP.

Personally, i'm glad i am more of a solo player. But that also makes raids and unsoloable quests undoable. There were a lot of raids before that I could never do due to no people. Or even just quests like Crucible, or Necro 2, it's not often I could ever run those before.

Now, i am level 13 on a Legend toon and have never once found an LFM for anything my level during the 1 month I've been running my toon on Sarlona. That's pretty bad.
    If I recall correctly sarlona got hit with a banwave and some more active players are gone, but if all servers are like this wont we have the same issue people not playing during certain times.

Community Member

So, how do you fix the game then? If having more people won't create more groups or make other players even want to, what else is there? It sounds like the game has bigger problems than just population, and balance has been totally thrown out of whack with no compensation on the end that made it necessary to group. The difficulty of dungeons vs. player growth is clearly a big part of it, but adding in harder content, especially with how geared people are now, just created an even bigger gap for new/old players.

If it comes down to redesigning the mechanics of the game completely to fix the problems DDO has, maybe short term solutions are the best. Fresh start servers where everyone is on the same level again might help. Merge some older servers to create larger populations for the long time players (or some sort of cross-realm grouping mechanic like mentioned), and/or create a new server where people can start fresh if they want to.

A large gap is not really easy at all to lower between the best and new players, especially in DDO with all the little quirks you can learn to be better. And reaper was made to bring back grouping and I would say it has done a decent job. However some servers like wayfinder that are pretty dead I would like to see put together with other servers with lower end populations.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Rather than merging servers, let's do something positive to promote the game and retain new and existing players.

Provide a simple graphic at the server selection screen based on basic metrics on population peak hours for different timezones. Ghallanda has a number of European players including myself. I'd encourage any new European recruits to join us here. We don't need to see specific population numbers because I appreciate that they've already stated they won't provide this for commercial reasons. But let's not direct new players from around the world to servers that aren't well populated in their timezones - give them the information to make an informed choice before they get invested in a server so they can find others that play during their peak hours and speak their language. And promote Wayfinder as the RP server

If we had this information then it would possibly help players make their own choice on which server they would rather transfer to, using the current options already available, if they do decide that there is a better time to be had by them on another server.

If in doubt, spin up a disposable character on Ghallanda and see if that server might suit your main character better

rather than a merge, perhaps they could just take the lowest population server and give ever character a free transfer. Let people migrate as they desire. Give it some time and I suspect this would eventually kill the server. Management could merge the remaining population eventually.
    Sarlona
    Gutter-Oowaoonah-Ute-Mauhl-Rockroll-Gutsack-Talrasha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast