Community Member

Default Returning player looking for guidance in first life

Hello all, returning player here (stoped to play a little after Motu release)... now im trying to start all over again, but im kinda lost with the changes the game got in those years... so im trying to start a caster char but dunno which one is viable

things that i own:
    warforged race
    32pts build
    favored soul class
    druid class
    artificer class

and these packs (wich im rly unsure cuz cant see which one i own) valle, von, gianthold, redfens, motu as i said (btw, there is a way to see which pack i already own?)

thx in advance
    []'s

"Viable"? Everything. Literally any class can go 1-30, contribute in endgame content or any other metric you want to measure. If they build well, follow the role that works well for their goals/difficulty and pay close attention to gearing well and playing well.

But that's not to say everything is good at everything. Much the opposite.

For example; if you take your typical warforged blaster sorcerer; which seems quite intuitive (Sorcerers can repair warforged, sorcerers trees seem to say blastercaster, etc). You'll find that it struggles in higher-reaper difficulties because of a couple of reasons:
    1) Spell-damage is scaled down significantly in high skull reaper; where it can start being a problem having enough spellpoints to kill stuff.
    2) Self-healing is reduced in reaper; and party members will likely find it harder to heal a warforged instead of a flesh-based race.

However; if you take this build into Normal/Hard/Elite; it will perform exceptionally well; as blaster-caster damage works great in those difficulties and there's no self healing debuff.

Conversely; if you look at a DC-caster flesh-based sorcerer, they get around both problems because instant kills are very effective in reaper and party members will find them easy to heal. But such a build would not perform as well in normal/hard/elite because in these difficulties an instant kill spell is often just an overpriced fireball/lightning bolt with a long cooldown, and they won't have the self-healing of the warforged.

As for gearing well; unfortunately this has a lot to do with owning/running the latest content with good gear for the class/build you're looking for.

For example; a DC caster gets a huge boost from owning Slavelords; where they can get a +2 artifact bonus to DC's at level 8; and another huge boost from owning ravenloft; where they can farm a Macabre Sceptre which has large bonuses to spell penetration and DC's at level 10.

A blaster-caster gets a huge boost from owning Ravenloft as well; where they can get a Barovian's Sceptre which gives huge bonuses to universal spellpower and various belts which give large amounts of stacking bonuses to many spellpowers. Alternatevely (or as well) a blaster caster can get a Panasonic circlet out of the f2p quest "Memoirs of an Illusory Larcener"; which also grants large bonuses to universal spellpower and reduces the mana cost of spells.

Note: Just using sorcerer as an example since you didn't list owning warlock (which many people consider easier to play well then other casters); and besides a friend of mine insists that Sorcerer is hands down the most OP caster class.
    Last edited by Selvera; 07-19-2018 at 01:39 PM.
    Selvera: Human Fighter 18; Inquisitive build
    Jen: Half Elf Fvs 20/Epic 10; Healer Archer with a more supportive build then usual
    Mayve: Tiefling Sorc 14; Just a pastlife for an alt

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Welcome back, OP.

SSG recently buffed druids and Favored Souls, so those are good places to start for a caster build. I don't think I've seen any new FvS builds yet, but this druid thread is regularly updated.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Community Member

Thx for the answers... about sorc .. it was my main before i left the game... 4pls (3wiz, 1sorc).. i could start with sorc again, but i was looking for another class... was thinking about fvs or druid ... the first i already played but how is it now? the second i didnt try yet... dunno if end game viable.. any builds to start with?
    what about artificer evo caster + repeater?

about content.. any pack i must own now?

Community Member

i'll give you the same advice the vets told me on packs, Vault of Night, Gianthold and Vale of Twilight are the big 3.