Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Memory Lapse uncompletable

I found all the books, placed them onto podium, killed the trash -- the only last objective was "Defeat Vaspar". He got down to negative hit points, and kept on fighting. Eventually we gave up.

Someone suggested that the books must be placed in a precise order. I placed them from top to bottom -- every time I clicked the podium, whichever book was the topmost among the options, that's the one I placed. Was that wrong? And if yes, what is the correct order?
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Quote Originally Posted by brian14 View Post
    I found all the books, placed them onto podium, killed the trash -- the only last objective was "Defeat Vaspar". He got down to negative hit points, and kept on fighting. Eventually we gave up.

Someone suggested that the books must be placed in a precise order. I placed them from top to bottom -- every time I clicked the podium, whichever book was the topmost among the options, that's the one I placed. Was that wrong? And if yes, what is the correct order?
    Thanks for the report! Here's a few questions that will help us track this down.

- Were you playing solo, or in a group?
    - What class(es) is your character?
    - When "talking" to the podium to place the books, did you select options using the mouse, or the keyboard?

I completed it solo just before the downtime on a barbarian. The order is suggested by the librarian just below the podium. Something like It starts with the joke book, then the notes from a enthusiastic classmate (to interest the guest of honor), This requires aitional reading in quest to figure that out. Then his magical research notes then his central thesis. It only requires 4 books to be placed.

I would guess if you dont finish with the central thesis it could bug the quest. So if the thesis is read before those other three you could get the result you had?
    Last edited by Jetrule; 07-19-2018 at 11:19 AM.
    Percivaul Dusol, BadRandall and Shortpact--The Silver Legion

Traveler of the Skies Frogger1234's Avatar

I've only run this once, so details and the names of things are a bit fuzzy. Someplace near the beginning of the quest an NPC tells you the form of a "good speech." Something like a joke, an anecdote and the main idea. It seems like you are supposed to select books to match the "good speech" as related by the NPC.

It took me about six or seven tries before I got the objective about placing the books in order completed. The audience was embarrassed, falling asleep or had some other response when I used the wrong book or put one out of order. There was a positive audience response when I used the "correct" book. Once the "put books in order" objective was completed, Vaspar went down for the count.

My Quest Objectives showed a "books remaining to be put in order" objective in addition to the "Defeat Vaspar" one.

Traveler of the Skies Frogger1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jetrule View Post
    I would guess if you dont finish with the central thesis it could bug the quest. So if the thesis is read before those other three you could get the result you had?
    I used the central thesis before the magical research notes. That also worked for quest completion.

I couldn't remember who told me the order, so I was kind of winging it based on whet I remembered from earlier quest dialog.

I had the end fight started before I even managed to locate the Librarian in the first room. I spoke to him in other locations, but he didn't contain the main librarian dialog, so was rather non-functional.

The Librarian's colour scheme had him blend into the background, so just a change of colour would make it easier, and having "talk to the Librarian" as an objective before you can venture into the different wings would ensure everyone knows the subject matter (in order of use) of the books they need to find. He could also be keyed to repeat the dialog about the books if asked about them at one of the other points in the quest.
    It was rather frustrating being told by the NPC at the quest entrance that I needed to speak to the librarian, but then the only times I saw him having him agree that I had seen him elsewhere.
    Bettayne Brah'dukcc, Cleric of Lathander
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life
    For DDO Queries, check out ddowiki.com; New to the game? Head to the Newbie Guide

Community Member

Default Memory Lapse Uncompletable Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Knockback View Post
    Thanks for the report! Here's a few questions that will help us track this down.

It happened to me as well last night. Placed the books in order and only
    the final objective being to kill the red- named was remaining. Fought him until he was -10000 hp down and finally I just teleported out.

Solo with a hireling on Epic Hard.
    Level 21 Paladin.
    - When "talking" to the podium to place the books, did you select options using the mouse, or the keyboard?
    Used mouse and placed the books according to the librarians order.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Part of message is in the quote. Don’t post much......

Most of the quest was solo, up to placing the last book. At that point I realized I could not defeat Vaspar and the lions (?) alone, and set up LFM. Two peoples joined, then what I described happened.

Pure bard, level 9.

Mouse. And I do remember that I placed Thesis last.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Community Member

Hate, hate, HATE buggy uncompletable quests. This is just bad.

Playing solo with Mareth along for healz. Found every book, reached Ransack / Conquest / Vigilant Sight.
    Warlock (6) on Reaper 1.
    Talked to podium, used mouse.

Got first book wrong the first time, got it right the second time. Books 2-4 got right the first time. Vaspar showed up when I placed the second book. Ran around killing mobs and placed book 3 and 4 while he fireballed me. Placed last book, got "Kill Vaspar" objective. Reduced him to negatives multiple times (let him leash to see if it would fix it), got incredibly frustrated, came to forums to vent.
    Andrialla / Archellus / Kadarin / Mercantile Joe
    Knight of The Silver Legion (Forum name: Rugar)
    Cannith

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maelphistez View Post

Got first book wrong the first time, got it right the second time. Books 2-4 got right the first time. Vaspar showed up when I placed the second book. Ran around killing mobs and placed book 3 and 4 while he fireballed me. Placed last book, got "Kill Vaspar" objective. Reduced him to negatives multiple times (let him leash to see if it would fix it), got incredibly frustrated, came to forums to vent.
    I just solo'd quest with no book/boss issues. Talked to librarian to figure out which 4 books to use. Used them, killed boss and adds after each book and had no problems (other than playing a fire savant sorc, with fire +ice immune mobs. Oh, and oozes in prior quest that are elemental? immune.

I feel like I made a mistake not making a warlock or melee DC caster.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 07-20-2018 at 02:20 AM.

Micki's Delirium
    2014 DDO Players Council

I was running the quest EE with my static group in off EDs so when we got to the end fight I was already tired.. I placed books in random order until I only had the objective "Defeat Vaspar" left. Since the char I was on struggled too much, I switched char, came in and killed everything, dropped Vaspar to -200k, ran around most of the dungeon looking for any trash we had missed.. still, could not kill Vaspar. Dropped him to -500k, sent in a ticket, waited 20 min then gave up.

P.S. He also got stuck in the air next to a wall and would not move from there so needed ranged to damage him
    Read my blog: Micki's Delirium
    My characters: Micki's Delirium\Characters
    Follow me on Twitter: @DDOMicki
    YouTube: Thazara ofOrien

7/21/18 9pm est, Thelanis, EE diff.

Collected books and reported back to main room. Boss takes damage as far as -10K. Cant complete quest. This was run 3 times with same result

Default Heroic Elite Bugged

Level 8 Warlock in party with two (2) players favored soul and rogue and two (2) healer hires. Placed books in proper order - jokes, college, magic, thesis. mobs spawned each time, Vaspar attacked us after each book. Killed all mobs and his globe of invulnerability staid up. Took him to negative health several times. looked for missed mobs none. I am assuming if you kill the mobs too quickly his globe does not come down.

Additionally, while waiting for a dev to respond to ticket the graphic for globe went away. We got excited took him to negative hp again and he won't die.
    Last edited by Jeoffree; 07-22-2018 at 03:09 PM.
    Jeoffree of Cannith, Leader of Monkeystyle Guild

Community Member

I had the same issue. Did it three times and always got the end and couldn't complete. I put the books in the right order, the only objective left was defeat Vaspar and he just kept going negative HP and wouldn't die.

The three times I did it, I killed all the trash in between talking to the podium, but I didn't do any damage to Vaspar. The fourth time I ran it, I placed the first book, killed the trash, then I beat on Vaspar until his globe of invuln. came on, then talked to the podium again to place the next book and I repeated, killing the trash then beating on Vaspar until he went invuln. and back to the podium. I did that after I placed every book and it let me kill Vaspar at the end.

So it looks to me like if you don't damage Vaspar enough in between placing the books you can't kill him at the end.
    Last edited by Slazinger1; 07-23-2018 at 12:14 AM.

Same. This was EE, boss went to -500k HP. We tried a Hail Mary of all going out of the area and seeing what happens if dead boss would die, worth a try. GG. He's borked and won't die.

First try, my (pure-)rogue (lvl29) and one cleric hireling (lvl 27).
    Quest at epic-normal - Just for exploring the quest.
    I watched the line "Place books on podium, xx left" (or something) objective.
    Vaspar appeared.
    I placed "The Central Thesis" as #6. And all books were placed, with 2 books left.
    We tried to kill Vaspar, because the "Kill Vaspar" objective stayed up.
    We went to a shrine.
    Vaspar got that white octangle (for the second time).
    We killed him from the start.
    And Vaspar went to hp-18000 (or something BUT minus), but he won't die.
    The "Kill Vaspar" objective stayed put.

I called 4 more hirelings - all 4 golden (Favored soul, Wizard Botha, Fighter, Rogue - all 4 the most higest lvl I could get).
    We did an attempt on killing Vaspar again and very soon he drove down to below HP -120k (minus).
    Just like in the image.

(Note 1 on this image: Permission was asked to all hirelings to place this image, with their names, but I got only their standard answers)
    (Note 2: I did a "/loc" in the chat-window and the last one is the location of this image)

We didn't got him killed and I have to force-recall the quest.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attempt 2: to do the whole quest again from the beginning:
    Same level.
    I immediately called all 5 hirelings.
    Same toons.
    Vaspar showed up after book 2. But he got te rest during hitting him.

Now I looked closer to the "Place books on podium" objective.
    I knew there were at least 5 books needed (or so I thought).
    A closer look at the book-objective learned, the number didn't countdown with every book.
    Than I thought of 2 things.
    1) The "The Central Thesis" must be placed as the very last one.
    Just because in the previous attemd, the book-objective was ready when that book was placed.
    2) Maybe Vaspar has to be killed, before all the minions (not the cute yellow guys) died.

Some of these must be truth, because we got Vaspar killed, even when all 8 books were placed.
    And the quest ended ...

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

I've run it twice so far.

Book order is something like: Jokes, Memoirs, Fundamentals, Thesis. The Librarian tells you the order you need, and it's pretty obvious which books are required given the available options.

Worked both times for me, although the second time I had to put the joke book in again at the end (might have to do with two people shoving books in immediately).
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

Community Member

Default For everyone that had trouble completing the quest

Did you do like I did the first three times I ran it? That is you placed the books and killed the trash, but didnt do damage to Vaspar until the last book was placed?

I ran this 4 times, the first three times I did as above and I couldn't kill Vaspar at the end. The fourth time I ran it, I did damage to Vaspar in between placing the books, and I was able to kill him at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Slazinger1 View Post
    Did you do like I did the first three times I ran it? That is you placed the books and killed the trash, but didnt do damage to Vaspar until the last book was placed?

I ran this 4 times, the first three times I did as above and I couldn't kill Vaspar at the end. The fourth time I ran it, I did damage to Vaspar in between placing the books, and I was able to kill him at the end.
    Interesting. I've never had problems the times I ran it, even in a group. (We ran EE, I'm playing an artificer, we had a mix of other classes on the other runs). and I also damaged Vaspar between books. I very scrupulously did the books in The Right Order because, well, I'm a dork like that, but I went and tested if doing it the "wrong" way deliberately would cause a problem and I still completed with no trouble, so I suppose it's POSSIBLE this is the issue.

Thanks for all the info, folks. Based on it, we've tracked down various problems and added a bunch of bulletproofing to Vaspar's scripting. Fixes will be in an upcoming patch.

(The order you use the books shouldn't matter, by the way.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast