Community Member

Default warlock questions

for now I'm still a F2P, but when I have the extra funds to spend on the game, the first 2 purchases I'm going to make are shared bank and Warlock. Now with that out of the way, on to my questions.

1) with the base free races, which race is best?

2) for first life, and each subsequent life, is it best to go pure Warlock?

3) If Multi-classed, what of the basic free classes to multi with?

4) In DDO, is the Warlock considered DPS, or is it based off of which Warlock Tree? If based off the tree, which tree is best for dps?

2016 DDO Players Council
    Resident Blue Dragon

For flavor reasons I really liked being an Elf Fey-pact Warlock. Besides that though, Human is probably the best free race to use as a Warlock because of the extra feat, but if you have Drow unlocked through favor then Drow is definitely the best of the "free" races.

As for your fourth question, I would say Souleater is the best tree for single-target DPS, but Tainted Scholar is the best tree for increasing your Eldritch Blast damage/pact damage.

I'm not sure what the best answers are for your second and third questions. Personally I always go pure Warlock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Wise fwom ur gwave.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kage1822 View Post
    for now I'm still a F2P, but when I have the extra funds to spend on the game, the first 2 purchases I'm going to make are shared bank and Warlock. Now with that out of the way, on to my questions.

4) In DDO, is the Warlock considered DPS, or is it based off of which Warlock Tree? If based off the tree, which tree is best for dps?
    Remember when building a warlock that your alignment will help determine your pact as 2 of the 3 have restrictions. More on pacts below.

1) Probably human because of the free feat.

2) If this is your first time playing, then I would say yes. Multiclassing is powerful but you need some gameplay to really understand the tradeoffs and what you are doing.

3) See #2

4) Depends on the pact. For heroics the 'lock does good DPS with edrich balsts (SP Free!) while being extremely tough to kill. Once you get Evards Tentacles you also have one of the best CC spells in the game. As for style, that depends in a large part on your pact and how your set up your enhancements. Fiend tends to be an excellent instakill and at lvl 15 gets Hurl Through Hell, in my opinion the best spell in the game. Does fire damage but many mobs are immune to fire, especially as you level past 15 or so. Great Old One is more of a CC build as it gets Charm Monster for free at lvl 15 and gets PK as an instakill before anyone else. Also does acid damage which few mobs are immune to. Fey is a waste of time to me, but others may have different opinions. I'll just say that they are wrong, though.
    ~ Alco Holic ~ Grlfriendaggro Pizzenmeoff ~ Rincewind the Damp ~ Sunbernt Junk ~ Ouchmy Leghurtz ~
    ~ Bobthesponge Squarethepants ~ Whaleoil Beef Hooked~
    ~Ascent~

2016 DDO Players Council
    Resident Blue Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by AlcoArgo View Post
    Fey is a waste of time to me, but others may have different opinions. I'll just say that they are wrong, though.
    I have a lot of fun as a Fey Warlock, but it is worth noting that while not many enemies are immune to the sonic damage, Fey pact damage is the only pact damage that can be evaded by enemies. However, I always have fun using Misty Escape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Wise fwom ur gwave.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Human for the extra feat, skill points, and cheap racial Enhancements. Drow is "almost" F2P (only takes 400 Favor to unlock) and is the obvious alternative for higher CHA.
    The warlock capstones are pretty good and Turbine rebalanced warlocks a while ago so they're less front-loaded. So I would stick with pure unless you have a compelling reason not to (e.g., splashing rogue for trap skills for bonus XP etc.).
    All warlock roads lead to DPS, but they don't lead to the same destination in DPS Town. Enlightened Spirit is more focused on tank-y-ness / survivability (bonus HPs, extra PRR/MRR, etc.) because you have to be close to enemies to use your aura / Blasts. Soul Eater focuses on Necromancy instakills and single-target SLAs (Consume / Stricken / Burning Blood). Tainted Scholar focuses on increasing Pact damage and Enchantment SLAs. Naturally every warlock build combines 2-3 trees rather than relying on only one; so final results are YMMV.
    Last edited by unbongwah; 07-12-2018 at 01:45 PM.
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hipparan View Post
    I have a lot of fun as a Fey Warlock, but it is worth noting that while not many enemies are immune to the sonic damage, Fey pact damage is the only pact damage that can be evaded by enemies. However, I always have fun using Misty Escape.
    Are you going to make me say it?
    ~ Alco Holic ~ Grlfriendaggro Pizzenmeoff ~ Rincewind the Damp ~ Sunbernt Junk ~ Ouchmy Leghurtz ~
    ~ Bobthesponge Squarethepants ~ Whaleoil Beef Hooked~
    ~Ascent~

Community Member

Go pure warlock. The class starts off pretty slow, but picks up fast once you start gaining access to enough APs to pick up cone shape and 2-3 Strong Pact ranks. Splashing extra classes only delays that point for not much gain. Your capability jumps again at 10 with Evard's and 13 with Finger of Death. Splashing rogue is great and all, but warlock doesn't come with a ton of skill points per level, you're going to want to put attribute points into charisma and constitution which doesn't help with any trapping skills, and the warlock class is strong enough to run difficulties that may put the trap DCs out of your reach anyway, especially on toon with few lives.

Human for the extra Feat and cheap HAmp, or any +Cha race.

Define "best".

Pure is strong, but warlock is so strong that you can go Lock 8/X 12 and use it as a TR Template for any other class. So "power" isn't an issue.

Some players go w/ a Trapper Lock, 18/2 Rogue, say it's THE way to go.

I've built Locks w/ a starting Level of Barb for faster run speed - didn't seem to slow them down at all. (sorry)

Go pure your first life, at least to start. If you're going to repeat, it's a ymmv thing. If you don't feel it's missing anything, there's your answer.

4) In DDO, is the Warlock considered DPS, o
    r is it based off of which Warlock Tree? If based off the tree, which tree is best for dps?
    There are 2 types of builds - blaster and DC caster. Blaster is Tainted Spellcaster - get chain, then cone*, blast your way to victory.

(* Chain connects the nearest 3 targets, even if others are out of sight or around a corner - tactically, this can be awesome, and visually lets you know if something is behind you or hidden. Other players swear by cone, which targets EVERYTHING in that zone in front of you - the key is to always group your enemies in front of you, and watch them all melt. ymmv.)

Blasters tends to start to get weaker toward end-game, and they start adding in more spells. This is not a weakness, b/c blasting is so strong, just an accepted and expected respec in AP.

DC caster aims for insta-kill, and it's tougher on a first life to get your DC's toward no-fail.

Both builds are in forums
    o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5759371