Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Community Member Blaze-Of-Glory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    My own place
    Posts
    43

    Default Stealer of Souls Flagging

    Please change the flagging mechanism for this quest like you did for litany - its just annoying at the moment - not fun running wilderness over and over till you get lucky with gems
    And while you are at it please add a couple of augment slots to the armours so people might actually want them again

  2. #2
    Community Member lyrecono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze-Of-Glory View Post
    Please change the flagging mechanism for this quest like you did for litany - its just annoying at the moment - not fun running wilderness over and over till you get lucky with gems
    And while you are at it please add a couple of augment slots to the armours so people might actually want them again
    The items do drop in the quests too, but i agree, making content this old more acceseble would help.
    As for a heroic loot revamp, geather started it years ago and now they have seemed to pick it up again, red fensfebs and sharn syndicate and the upcomming carnavale changes, so who knows, they might do this one too.
    Keep in mind though that stat wise, canith crafting seems better and easier to get, droprates in the carnaval pack user to be notourious.

  3. #3

    Default

    You want them to make it like Litany? Why?

    The Litany change doesn't work. You cannot flag for Abbot using the permanent Litany seal.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,092

    Default

    I like this quest and I love the armors. But I skip this quest almost every single life due to flagging. Change flagging to either perma-flag, or just completing the other 3 quests.

    P.S. And yeah, add some aug slots to the armors. Please and thank you.

    Edit: What I would REALLY love is if they just let us put 2 of each rune into the armors (2 eldritch, 2 tempest, and 2 sovereign)
    Stratis on Khyber

    Want to know my build?
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...il-of-the-Bard

  5. #5
    Founder Krell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Holtberg, Dereth
    Posts
    1,734

    Default

    It's been a long time since I saw an LFM for this. Years? A change to make flagging simple would be nice. Updating the augments would be even nicer.
    Ghallanda: Save the newbie, save the world.

  6. #6
    Community Member Selvera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    I would love to run this quest. It sounds interesting and I like the other reaver's refuge quests. But whenever I feel like running it I remember that I have to go through some archaic endgame-esc flagging ritual so that I can work towards endgame-grinding loot which is severely outdated/understatted and there seems to be warnings against running the quest solo so I'd have to find someone else who's also gone through an archaic flagging ritual to do this quest with.

    And unlike essentially every other quest I can't guarantee that I would be successful completing the quest; since I've never ran it I don't know what I'd be up against.

    Which means it remains the only quest in the game that I have never run; and I don't see that changing unless they change the flagging for it; and/or the loot.

    Note to Devs: I would be totally fine with the current flagging for it; it's cool and interesting for a quest that players would actively seek out to run for endgame gear. But it's no longer endgame gear or even useful gear, so loosen up those flagging requirements. This also goes with all other endgame grinds/systems. By all means; make it hard to get the gear on release; then after a couple years go back and loosen up the requirements and reduce the grind.
    Last edited by Selvera; 07-16-2018 at 02:40 PM.
    Selvera: Dragonborn Sorc 20/ Epic 6; Fire breathing dragon
    Jen: Halfling Ranger 16; Getting racial pastlives for an elf AA without being an elf
    Mayve: Drow Fvs 15/ Monk 5/Epic 10; Ninja Healer
    EK rework suggestions

  7. #7
    Community Member Drelak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Selvera View Post
    I would love to run this quest. It sounds interesting and I like the other reaver's refuge quests. But whenever I feel like running it I remember that I have to go through some archaic endgame-esc flagging ritual so that I can work towards endgame-grinding loot which is severely outdated/understatted and there seems to be warnings against running the quest solo so I'd have to find someone else who's also gone through an archaic flagging ritual to do this quest with.

    And unlike essentially every other quest I can't guarantee that I would be successful completing the quest; since I've never ran it I don't know what I'd be up against.

    <snip>
    I have soloed both the quest and Sorjek optional couple of times, so it is very much possible to do with mediocre toon. I wouldn't try it elite at level or even hard for that matter.
    The hardest part of the quest is series of air jets in ice part. Those can be timed: start running into them while the graphics is still displaying blast, time your movement by sound only. (Air jets could be turned off by a friend running below, but that might not be easy either.) Not all jets are air, some are cold, and that only does damage.

    I like the pack a lot, and would like to see higher numbers on those armors and Toothpick.

  8. #8
    Community Member Selvera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drelak View Post
    I have soloed both the quest and Sorjek optional couple of times, so it is very much possible to do with mediocre toon. I wouldn't try it elite at level or even hard for that matter.
    The hardest part of the quest is series of air jets in ice part. Those can be timed: start running into them while the graphics is still displaying blast, time your movement by sound only. (Air jets could be turned off by a friend running below, but that might not be easy either.) Not all jets are air, some are cold, and that only does damage.

    I like the pack a lot, and would like to see higher numbers on those armors and Toothpick.
    That's good to know. Difficulty of combat does not phase me in general; I've just never had a flagged character and I read somewhere at some point that multiple sides need to be completed at the same time or the quest fails (or something like that). Maybe they were just talking about finishing all the sides before the time limit.
    Selvera: Dragonborn Sorc 20/ Epic 6; Fire breathing dragon
    Jen: Halfling Ranger 16; Getting racial pastlives for an elf AA without being an elf
    Mayve: Drow Fvs 15/ Monk 5/Epic 10; Ninja Healer
    EK rework suggestions

  9. #9
    Community Member Drelak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Selvera View Post
    That's good to know. Difficulty of combat does not phase me in general; I've just never had a flagged character and I read somewhere at some point that multiple sides need to be completed at the same time or the quest fails (or something like that). Maybe they were just talking about finishing all the sides before the time limit.
    There have been no such limits in the years I have played the quest. It has one hour timer, and each quarter took something like 10 minutes from me. Timer stops before optional Sorjek fight (that avards the sovereign rune). In the last fight it is good to kill mephits as soon as they spawn, as they shield Sorjek, and Holy Blunt DR breaker is very advisable for melee toons (like mine).

    Edit: I don't know if there is some extra requirements for elite difficulty, like In the Demons Den, where 3 Efreeti must be killed simultaneusly in different parts of the dungeon.
    Last edited by Drelak; 07-17-2018 at 02:12 PM.

  10. #10
    Community Member Rauven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    500

    Default

    It is very possible to solo all of the quests. For my main's current life (pure rogue) I ran all of the quests on elite at level for bravery with just a cleric hireling. Gear wise I was using a full set of Cannith crafted gear except trinket (using the Voice), and for weapons I used Slice and Dice throughout the quests and dual Barovian daggers on Sor'jek. I'm not saying this to claim any eliteness. It's more a reality of power creep than anything else.

    Some pointers for anyone wanting to tackle the quests.

    Prey on the Hunter
    The quest is fairly linear with frequent respawns. There is an area where you need to run down some side passages to find a lever. The side passage is really just a big loop with a few dead ends. Just keep running and spamming Q until you find the lever then either backtrack or go forward until you find the main passage again. There is also a maze that starts a timer. You need to be quick to get through there and to the other side before the quest fails. Before dungeon alert the general idea was to ignore all mobs and just keep running. With DA it's not a bad idea to stop every once in a while to kill everything. This works until you get to the shrine after the drop down, which is right before the maze. Once you enter the maze ignore everything else and just keep moving. The maze is fairly easy, but can also easily trip you up and waste a lot of precious time. When you first enter there are three passages, right, middle, and left. Just check them in that order until you find one that isn't blocked. The second half of the maze comes after you see the blue sphere in the ceiling. From there there are another three passages, right, middle, left. This time check middle first, then left, if both of those are blocked then go back to right (the first passage you'll see after the blue sphere). You check the right passage last because it is the longest and has two paths. After you're through just run, run, run, then save the cheerleader, save the world.

    Enter the Kobold
    This quest is also very linear with a puzzle maze in the middle. The puzzle can be solved by just looking around, paying attention to detail, and thinking how a knight moves on a chessboard. The end fight can be very difficult if you don't have evasion, high MRR, good resists, or some combination. Advice, kill the kobold, kill the efreet, loot, then try to leave.

    Monastery of the Scorpion
    While this quest is not linear it is also hard to get lost in. There are two levels divided by a drop down. Both are a ring with side rooms. Throughout I have tried to not give too many spoilers, but in this case (and this applies to the other quests, as well) I'm going to suggest you read the Wiki page. Without assistance the two puzzles in this quest and the end fight can be very difficult.

    Stealer of Souls (SoS)
    Flagging: to do this quest you will need to have completed the three above quests and collected the Dragonshard Essences. You will also need to collect three gems that drop in six different explorer zones: Aussircaex's Valley, Mount Reysalon, Soami Gardens (all three in Reaver's Reach), Ruins of Gianthold, Sands of Menechtarun, or Orchard of the Macabre. Each of the six gems are named, only one drops in each of the explorer zones, but you only need to collect three of them. Note, you only need to do this once per life. Once you have collected the three gems you do not need to do that again if you want to rerun SoS. Also of note, once you have completed SoS it is not mandatory to rerun the flagging quests. To repeat SoS you do need the Dragonshard Essences again, but you can buy them from Vorace with Draconic Runes (50 for an Eberron Dragonshard Essence, 25 each for a Siberys or Khyber Dragonshard Essence). The Eberron essence drops in Prey on the Hunter, which is arguably the easiest of the three flagging quests. And for completing SoS you get 50 Draconic Runes that you can use to buy the other two essences. While you do need 50 Draconic Runes to buy a suit of armor you can collect them from the flagging quest end chests and explorer zone rare chests, as well. This means that once you have bought your armor you can use the runes from running SoS to buy two of the essences rather than rerunning all three flagging quests. And since the essence is a guaranteed drop you can do your repeats on normal.

    When you zone into SoS you'll be in a cave. Run forward and hit a rune to be sent to a room with Sor'jek standing in the middle. Don't approach him. His magic barrier is instant death. After you complete each section of the quest you'll be brought back to this room. Just run around until you find a working rune to take you to the next section. The first rune is to your right of where you zone in. The quest is divided into four areas, which are completed in the order of earth/ice/fire/air, and you must complete the air section before the time runs out. You have an hour. Earth can be a little puzzling. When you zone in, after you break the barrier, keep the wall on your right and follow the path. If you do that you'll get to all three of the mobs you have to kill then just backtrack to the barrier you couldn't get through. The map on the Wiki doesn't have an outlined path but you can get an idea of where to go by looking at it (hint, skip the room with the chest/shrine then come back). I find ice the hardest section as you'll often get a large group of mobs pilled up on you and many of them are casters. Focus on the red named boss and you'll have a shrine to recover with. There are levers on the bottom floor that temporarily turn off the air jets on the upper walkways. In fire stay out of the lava. Even with fire resist it can hurt. High jump and feather fall really help. The Cannith Boots of Propulsion are great for this. Look for three runes you need to light to open the way forward. One in the middle and one on each side of the room. In air there are a lot of air gusts and Air Elementals. If you get blown off you'll either reapear at the bottom of the section or in Sor'jek's room by the rune that takes you back into the air section. I don't remember which. If you have feather fall on when you get blown off it is possible to push away from the platforms until you hit an invisible wall, then float back before you hit the point where you're teleported. Hit some levers and runes on your way up then kill the red named to complete the quest. Deathward is very beneficial here. Killing Sor'jek is optional but the only way to get a Sovereign rune from the quest. Pay attention when fighting Sor'jek. If he gets a colored bubble stop fighting him and kill the mephit. Blue is the worst as it will hurt you, red, yellow, and green can be ignored if your dps is high enough. Freedom of Movement is beneficial during this fight.

    Here is a link to the Reaver's Reach section on the Wiki if you want to read more.

    If anyone is on the Cannith server and would like to be run through these quests I would be glad to guide you. Just send me a PM. I really like Reaver's Refuge and wish the quests got more activity. The gear definitely needs an upgrade.
    Last edited by Rauven; 07-17-2018 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Typo

  11. #11
    Community Member Selvera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rauven View Post
    It is very possible to solo all of the quests. For my main's current life (pure rogue) I ran all of the quests on elite at level for bravery with just a cleric hireling. Gear wise I was using a full set of Cannith crafted gear except trinket (using the Voice), and for weapons I used Slice and Dice throughout the quests and dual Barovian daggers on Sor'jek. I'm not saying this to claim any eliteness. It's more a reality of power creep than anything else....
    Thanks for the advice. I've solo'd prey on the hunter and enter the kobold on R1 before; they're pretty straitforwards and not challanging once you've gotten powerful enough to power through them (in ETK this means the endfight, in PotH this means surviving until you get to the endfight).

    Haven't solo'd monestary before mostly because I'm scared of trying to do a puzzle with half a dozen enemies running over it and messing it up. Maybe if I did a good CC build or did some trick with luring the enemies away from the puzzle with a hireling I could do it in peace. Regardless; I have never had a problem forming a party to run the first 3 quests since they have no flagging.

    Reaver's refuge is probably my 3rd favorite (BB at level 19) quest chain... so I run it some lives but some lives I cap before I get to it. It's SoS that I've never run because when I'm level 19... I don't feel like running through 3 low level experiance-less wilderness zones to flag for it when I'm likely close to cap by the time I've run the first 3 quests (not to mention the loot isn't attractive and a-fore-mentioned misconceptions about how able it is to be solo'd).
    Selvera: Dragonborn Sorc 20/ Epic 6; Fire breathing dragon
    Jen: Halfling Ranger 16; Getting racial pastlives for an elf AA without being an elf
    Mayve: Drow Fvs 15/ Monk 5/Epic 10; Ninja Healer
    EK rework suggestions

  12. #12
    Community Member Drelak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Selvera View Post
    <snip>
    Reaver's refuge is probably my 3rd favorite (BB at level 19) quest chain... so I run it some lives but some lives I cap before I get to it. It's SoS that I've never run because when I'm level 19... I don't feel like running through 3 low level experiance-less wilderness zones to flag for it when I'm likely close to cap by the time I've run the first 3 quests (not to mention the loot isn't attractive and a-fore-mentioned misconceptions about how able it is to be solo'd).
    I usually have at least 2 gems ready in my inventory from Sands and Gianthold rares before lvl 17. It is true that I'd rather use that backpack space for momething else.

  13. #13
    Community Member Rauven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Selvera View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I've solo'd prey on the hunter and enter the kobold on R1 before; they're pretty straitforwards and not challanging once you've gotten powerful enough to power through them (in ETK this means the endfight, in PotH this means surviving until you get to the endfight).

    Haven't solo'd monestary before mostly because I'm scared of trying to do a puzzle with half a dozen enemies running over it and messing it up. Maybe if I did a good CC build or did some trick with luring the enemies away from the puzzle with a hireling I could do it in peace. Regardless; I have never had a problem forming a party to run the first 3 quests since they have no flagging.

    Reaver's refuge is probably my 3rd favorite (BB at level 19) quest chain... so I run it some lives but some lives I cap before I get to it. It's SoS that I've never run because when I'm level 19... I don't feel like running through 3 low level experiance-less wilderness zones to flag for it when I'm likely close to cap by the time I've run the first 3 quests (not to mention the loot isn't attractive and a-fore-mentioned misconceptions about how able it is to be solo'd).
    Reaver's Refuge is one of my favorite areas. I'll often run it even over level just because I like the quests. Same with Restless Isles. I flag for Titan every life even though I'll probably never get to run the raid again for the same reason.

    When I did Monastery I ended up just killing Sannyasi because I wasn't making armor so I didn't care about the extra chest. You only have to solve the puzzle if you want the extra chest for another Eldritch rune. Doing that solo on elite is really hard because Sani won't leave you alone, the mobs are constantly respawning (including the scorpions down the hall), Sani can't be kited too far out of his room, and the mobs keep running over the pressure plates triggering dancing balls. Doing it with a hireling can be hard because if Sani is damaged it breaks one of the puzzle tiles potentially making the puzzle unsolvable, but if you leave the hire on passive they will die very quickly. On a CC build you could potentially CC lock the adds, but they're drow (and many of them are monks) so you have to contend with their SR. If I'm not running it on hard, and so don't have to deal with the adds, one strategy I've used is to lure Sani up to the upper ledge over the puzzle. If you're fast enough you can get Sani to run in circles while you take a moment to load the puzzle into a solver on your phone. Get him going in circles again then get the solution. Then get him going in circles again while you jump down, hit one or two tiles, then run back up to keep Sani off the puzzle. If you can survive through his damage, he hits pretty hard, and keep him off the puzzle by running around on the upper levels, you can solve the puzzle and get the extra chest solo. Elite without CC is, I think, pretty much impossible. Sani and the adds just will not stay off the puzzle. But with a combo of bluff, improved feint, and shiv I had constant sneak attacks so he went down pretty quick.
    Last edited by Rauven; 07-18-2018 at 06:04 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload