Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Community Member

Default NO adventure packs no sale this week :(

Just coming back to voice some disappointment that no adventure packs are on sale this week, December 14-21. I was hoping for at least one, after the great Slaver's sale last week. I can only hope that this is the calm before the storm. I'm a newbie non-VIP who owns little content, ready and waiting to open my wallet for you SSG! Let's make those great pack sales happen, 'tis the season!

If the DDO Season Pass had included ownership of all previously released content, they would have just made $300 of me, though I suppose they sold out so it doesn't particularly matter If they fix it so that VIPs can partake in sales of packs, they will gain a new VIP as well. A simple "Are you sure you want to buy this? You already have access to this content as a VIP" pop-up is all that is needed. There are lots of ways to further monetize this thing.
    Zanthiss, L30 Mechanic - Cannith

I've got a Dungeon Master's Guide... I've got 12 sided die...

Default Dec 20-27 AND Dec 27-Jan 3

(Edit - fixed bad link, updated exact prices, linked to new sales post, below)

The current sale offers no quest pack discounts for this week, HOWEVER, it does, in a rare and generous display of disclosure, show what NEXT WEEK's sales will be! \o/

NEXT week, December 28th through January 3rd:

• Menace of the Underdark™ - 75% OFF! (2 different editions available, see details below)
    • Shadowfell Conspiracy™ - 75% OFF! (2 different editions available, see details below)
    • Select* Adventure Packs 30% off (see post, below, for full details)

* Again, this is NEXT WEEK (Dec 28-Jan 3), so we won't know exactly which ones* until then. Just keep your fingers crossed! But we can talk about the other two now...

(* Edit - see update post below for these sales)

MotU and SC are both "expansion packs", and so cost (currently, a VERY little) real-life cash. They are bought via the DOO Market (link in head of all forum pages, above), rather than the in-game DDO Store (with DDO Points). But you can ask for them now for the holidays (or plan now to give them to yourself next week!)

The short version is that if you don't have these yet, you want them. MotU is 100% the recommended the way to go if you want to go into Epic Levels, 21-30. It includes Epic Destinies and 3 Forgotten Realms adventure packs outside of Eveningstar Town and more (much more, depending on which edition you buy). SC is an introduction to Iconics, and includes 2 Forgotten Realms packs, the Purple Dragon Knight Iconic, +1 Character Slot, 1,000 DDO Points, and more (much more, depending...). There are 2 different editions of each pack - one cheaper and one more expensive, and you get what you pay for. We'll look at all four...

(Note - the "lesser/better" editions names are no longer standardized across the two packs - "Base/Standard" vs. "Standard/Collector's" - make sure you're buying the one you want!

Menace of the Underdark:

The cheaper edition of MotU includes:
    • Epic Destinies - Epic Reincarnation is what makes Epic Reincarnation so powerful. Those double-tough characters you see running around, who just can't/won't die? Epic Destinies.
      (These can be normally be bought separately for 995 DDO Points via the DDO Store, but are currently on sale for 50% off, so only 497 DP atm - but for $5, with all the rest? This is a DEAL.)
    • 3 Forgotten Realms Adventure Packs:

Note that these listed packs are NOT currently available via DDO points!

Besides the above, for less than 4 bucks more, this edition of MotU adds...

• & 1,000 DDO Points

Just the 1,000 DDO Points alone are worth about $13 when not on sale. You can do the math on this deal.

Shadowfell Conspiracy:

The cheaper edition of Shadowfell Conspiracy includes:
    • 2 Forgotten Realms Adventure Packs:
    • Wheloon City (aka Wheloon Prison) - One Lvl 18 & four Lvl 21 quests, plus wilderness area that is great for farming Tier V collectables.
    • The Stormhorns- Wilderness plus 5 Lvl 19 quests

Altho' Iconics are not "necessary" in DDO, the value of this deal is immense. We've already talked about what 1,000 DDO points are worth, so add in the +1 Skill Tomes, the Character Slot, and the quest packs - even if you never touch Iconics, this is a steal.

Besides the above, for 5 bucks more, this edition adds...
    • Shadar-kai iconic
    • Morninglord (aka "Sun Elf") Iconic
    • +3 Character Slots total (this edition gives you 3 more slots total, the above edition only +1 new slot.)
    • 1 Greater Tome of Epic Learning (for Level 21-30) (& replaces "lesser" version)
    • One +2 Skill Tome (per character!)
    • 2,000 DDO Points

Wow. How to improve on a steal. Do the math on 2,000 DDO points and go from there.

And if you are excited about the things this pack has to offer, know that the misc. bells and whistles from the 2 Shadowfell editions stack. Which is to say, if you're going to buy the better one, then if you also buy the lesser for another $7.50, you get:

• +1 Character Slot
    • +1 Skill Tome (for each character)
    • a Lesser Tome of Epic Learning (if you have an #2 alt)
    ...and, yes...
    • another 1,000 DDO points.

Dunno about you, but I looked at the DDO Points, said "yes, please" to both when this came around a while ago, and the rest were gravy on top of that. (Mmmmm, gravy...)

(Note that you ~could~ buy both MotU editions, but besides the Lesser/Greater Heroic XP-boost Tomes, there is nothing to stack. Don't do that. )

Now, lastly, at the bottom of both SC pages, is an option for a "Legendary Upgrade". Cosmetics, +3 Skill Tomes (2/character), pets, some XP pots - stuff. You choose it when you check out to buy one of the above SC packs. Don't know for sure, but I don't ~think~ that's on sale. Not for everyone, you can see what's there and decide for yourself, and see at check-out what the final price is.

And I'll bump this next week once we know what the "select quest packs" are - seeya then, and happy holidaze!
    o/Phiarlan Carnival - a fun 4-quest chain at level 5, and you'll recognize the 2nd quest in the Anniversary event in Frebruary! Some great at-level named items, including the recently upgraded Antique Great Axe
    Attack on Stormreach - 4 Lvl 13 quests. quick xp & 60 Coin Lord favor.
    The Path of Inspiration - a romp thru a 5-quest chain at Level 18, plus some solid named items
    The Dreaming Dark - 5 fun Level 19-20 quests, plus access to upgrade ioun stones & other "
    Last edited by C-Dog; 07-27-2019 at 02:45 PM. Reason: exact prices, fix bad link

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    The current sale offers no quest pack discounts for this week, HOWEVER, it does, in a rare and generous display of disclosure, show what NEXT WEEK's sales will be! \o/

NEXT week, December 28th through January 3rd:

Besides the above, for 5 bucks more, this edition adds...

And I'll bump this next week once we know what the "select quest packs" are - seeya then, and happy holidaze!
    o/
    Thanks for this, I was just dreading TR'ing and trying to find space for my stuff. Getting 3 more character slots could really alleviate the pain. I enjoy leveling my mules to a certain point so it's not a complete waste, but seems a good use for the slots. The points will be the other thing I am after.
    G-land
    Main characters, Tymout, Tymkul, Tymbom, Tymantha etc...

NP, thank you!

Speaking of mules, here's a link to a great 160-slot iconic (Morninglord*) mule that can earn its own Portable Hole plus a couple/few hundred DP in favor on the side, if that's attractive.

(* which is one of the iconics you get w/ the SC Collector's edition)

Lots of ways to go on this, that's just one. Enjoy!

Community Member

Guess they noticed the cheap TP stacking. At least I can still use it on my sub account.
    Very much like my favourite weapon, the quarterstaff, I am a blunt instrument, as are my words.
    Thelanis - Striving to be your Swiss Army Knife for DPS, traps and tanking
    Eushully/Centered LS Tempest | Nantekottai/Arti tank | Ponoka - Inquis

The sale discussed above starts later today! 75% off Menace of the Underdark and Shadowfell Conspiracy, plus 30% off some of those ever-popular "Select Adventure Packs", to be determined soon enough!

Okay - altho' Chronicle #315 isn't out yet, the previewed Sales have started, so the results are in!

See this post (above) for info on MotU and SC, currently 75% off! Short answer is, you want MotU, and probably SC too (and possibly both editions of SC).

Note - Shadowfell Conspiracy Legendary Upgrade is reported to be on sale for a 75% discount too. Not sure if that's true, but it currently costs $12.50. For that, you add on...

• Owlbear Defender Hireling - Level 17/24
    • Wilderness Cosmetic Armor Kit
    • Exclusive Tan Striped Pseudo Dragon Creature Companion
    • 2 Pack of +3 Skill Tomes per character
    • Lesser Tome of Epic Learning per character
    • Wizard Cosmetic Hat and matching creature companion hat
    • 5 Sovereign I XP Elixirs per game world

So that's that, and that's all covered in the post above.

In addition, currently, almost every quest pack is on sale for 30% off!

The only ones that are NOT on sale are...

• White Plume Mountain
    • Disciples of Rage
    • Mists of Ravenloft
    • the 2 Challenge Packs

Now, that means 2 things - 1, I'm not going to re-review every pack. The basic considerations in judging any pack for yourself, for your own needs, are in this post, and the major packs are reviewed throughout this thread.

(For specific reviews of all packs from about '13 and before, see this comprehensive buyer's guide.)

And 2, it means that many of you have some decisions to make. Just today I got this PM (edited a bit), which expresses a commonly asked question...

Quote Originally Posted by A. Nonnymouse
    Hi! It looks like pretty much all adventure packs are 30% off. I think I have everything that's been on sale for 50% off or more recently, plus some other stuff. Is this a pretty good sale, or might I be better off waiting until summer for some of these?... I tend to only like buying stuff at 50% off or more, but 30% is tempting too...
    First, 30% is good, if not great - beside the rare 50% and double-rare 75% discounts, which we only see a couple/few times/year and then only a single/few packs, standard deals run from 20-35%, so 30% is an above-average good deal.

So consider these points:

o If there is a deep sale on the horizon, what packs will it be? Same old core content as before, that you already own? What are the odds that it will be what you're missing?

o How fast are you leveling, and how much would you miss that content? How long are you willing to wait to fill in those gaps?

o For a 500 point pack, +/-5% diff is 25 DP, which is what you get from 100 Favor. +/-20% (from 30% to 50%) = 100 DP or 400 Favor. How fast do you gain 100 Favor?

o If you bought for 30% now, would it break the bank, or could you afford something now? Ultimately, is all the above worth the potential difference in DP if you wait?

There is NO telling what sales may show up in the future, nor when, but after this the mid-winter holiday sales are over. A sale ~could~ drop any time, but the next reasonable time would be February, during the DDO Anniversary - that's not particularly known for eye-catching sales, but it could happen. After that, think July, the Mid-Summer Sails Sales, 7 long wintery months from now.

I'm a Premium player, do not buy DP, but have bought the above expansion packs, MotU & SC (both editions*). So 95% of my content is from DP from Favor. I've found that once you have a lot of content and are leveling steadily, DP starts flowing in. As a result, I find myself surprised to say that I own everything except the newest stuff, that's not been on sale - and am considering buying some of that soon at full price.

(* For me, dropping less than $30 once on a game I truly enjoy is no brainer. 1000's of hours over the years - what does a new console game cost? What do you pay for a movie/hour? What do you pay for a quick meal, or your phone/month? Totally worth it, imo.)

But everyone has different priorities, no one can know you well enough to make your decision for you. (Except MotU - wash a car, mow a lawn, cut back (a little!) on beer just this week, but buy that!)

GL!
    Last edited by C-Dog; 12-27-2018 at 10:14 PM.

The Shadowfell Legendary Upgrade is also on sale for 75% off It was $12 for the upgrade. We ended up buying Shadowfell Collectors, Shadowfell Legendary, and MOTU Standard each

Quote Originally Posted by mistress_minx View Post
    ...We ended up buying Shadowfell Collectors, Shadowfell Legendary, and MOTU Standard each
    Don't forget - if you have a use for DDO Points (maybe the current 30% off Sale?), you can also buy the Shadowfell Standard on top of the Collector's edition. You'd get 1,000 DDO Points (a deal by itself), plus 1 more character slot, plus one +1 Skill Tome per character, plus one Lesser Tome of Epic xp (for a 2nd alt, if you ever have one in Epics) - all for (currently) $7.50.

Just as a reminder.

Don't forget - if you have a use for DDO Points (maybe the current 30% off Sale?), you can also buy the Shadowfell Standard on top of the Collector's edition. You'd get 1,000 DDO Points (a deal by itself), plus 1 more character slot, plus one +1 Skill Tome per character, plus one Lesser Tome of Epic xp (for a 2nd alt, if you ever have one in Epics) - all for (currently) $7.50.

Just as a reminder.
    Yes, definitely all awesome deals !!!

We bought Shadowfell Standard also after seeing your post, and used the points from the 4 expansions we purchased to buy +6 Supreme Tomes of Skill, which happened to still be on sale when we made our expansion purchases at 4am (thank you very much for the post at 2:30am saying they'd gone on sale ! I saw it, and we bought them right away ) Super great timing, as they went off sale a few hours later.

Because of the +3 and +2 tomes of ability that came with the expansions, and the +6 tome of all skills I bought with the points I received, my newly 3rd life main is finally going to be able to hold her own in lvl 10 - 25 parties, instead of having to be saved from death constantly, and causing people to die in traps I can't find or disable

Community Member

Finally the sale I've been waiting for! The 30% off was not overwhelming, but great that it applies to almost every pack. I am Premium, and have been slowly adding packs since starting 6 months ago.

I purchased MoTU (just in time for my move to Level 20), Shadowfell, and 9 adventure packs. I'd like to list my packs below, and get advice on what I may have missed that are 'must have' or just 'good to have' packs that I probably shouldn't pass up for 30% off. Thanks!

Here's what I own right now.

Shan-To-Kor
    Catacombs
    Necro 1
    Three Barrel Cove
    Trial of Archons
    Gianthold
    Vale of Twilight
    Vault of Night
    Ravenloft
    Against the Slave Lords
    MoTU
    Shadowfell
    Demon Sands
    Sentinels of Stormreach
    Secrets of Artificers
    Devil Assault
    Red Fens
    Heart of Madness
    High Road of Shadows
    Mines of Tethyamar
    Shadow Under Thunderholme

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by 0ldschool View Post
    Here's what I own right now.
    *snip*
    I think you're in pretty good shape in general. I don't see any must haves. Some thoughts:
    * Sharn Syndicate for some lowbie weapons
    * Heart of Madness is least played of Madness chains - not an ideal choice there
    * I think you're only missing Druids Deep to wrap up some FR sagas.
    * Maybe you have enough content now and consider classes or races instead.

How to check which edition you have? I want the owlbear, also motu seems good for the 3 packs inside.

But i already got both, so how to check?

These are the adventure packs on sale that I don't own yet:

Devil's Gambit
    Thunderholme
    Druid's Deep
    High Road of Shadows
    Heart of Madness
    Haunted Halls

Gambit and Thunder look like must-haves at 30% off, since I constantly see groups for those.

Druid and High Road I'm tempted at 30% off for the Harper favor and saga. What are the other highlights of these packs?

Heart and Haunted aren't getting me excited at all, even at 30% off. I rarely see groups for these. A major sale on these two would entice me in the future, though.
    "Swords will cut you wide open!" - Trip Fisk

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcimerist View Post
    Druid and High Road I'm tempted at 30% off for the Harper favor and saga. What are the other highlights of these packs?
    I don't know about your server, but on mine, there are always LFM's up for Druid's and HR on Epic. They're fun, quick to do with a party, and have good experience for chain completion. There's other things they are good for, but I'll leave that to someone more experienced. I know end rewards for the chain give commendations for different factions, but I'm not sure what those are used for. Trading ? Crafting ?

Last day for these sales, in fact less than 12 hours to go! - pull the trigger, or live with regret.

I was mis-informed... the sales are still on atm, so will probably be changed sometime (early?) tomorrow (Friday), when a new "25% off Select Packs" sale starts.

I'm guessing(?) it's (indirectly?) related to this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Due to a marketing-related thing that was done by our Publisher, we're actually turning off the XP boost tomorrow (Friday, January 4th) instead of our usual today (Thursday AM Eastern). So, both the XP boost and the Festivult Coin drops will continue until tomorrow morning.
    ... but who knows?

Community Member

I was mis-informed... the sales are still on atm, so will probably be changed sometime (early?) tomorrow (Friday), when a new "25% off Select Packs" sale starts.

I'm guessing(?) it's (indirectly?) related to this...

... but who knows?
    It worked out for them, I bought three more packs last night. I'm hoping White Plume is one of the '25% off' packs, it's the only pack of real significance that I don't own know, and I just hit Level 21 last night!

Thanks for keeping this thread alive and doing what you can to educate Premium newbs like me. The expansion pack deals were amazing.

Carry on

Oldschool, DDO don't normally offer the two most recent generic Adventure Packs they have released for this type of sale. Therefore both: 'Disciples of Rage' and 'White Plume Mountain and Other Tales' won't likely appear on any sale, until at least another couple of new Adventure packs have been released. :-)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DYWYPI View Post
    Oldschool, DDO don't normally offer the two most recent generic Adventure Packs they have released for this type of sale. Therefore both: 'Disciples of Rage' and 'White Plume Mountain and Other Tales' won't likely appear on any sale, until at least another couple of new Adventure packs have been released. :-)
    Thanks, that is good to know. It makes it a bit easier choice to bite the bullet and pay full price for White Plume if that's where I decide to go.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast