Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member Trig_of_Cowtown's Avatar

Default Trig Weekly Discussion: This Week, What Is Your Favorite Race & Why?

Good afternoon, everyone! Wow, it's almost Summer. Time really flies, doesn't it?

This week's discussion is about race, specifically DDO's races. So, what's your favorite race and why do you like to play it?

Community Member

Boring, but... Human extra feat, extra skill points, choice of stat upgrades.

For specific builds other races but in general nothing beats the human.

I think a favorite race may be a choice based on very different criteria for different players. I like gnome and halfling because they are small yet can in a fantasy game be amazingly powerful. I guess I like the inherent dichotomy of a extremely dangerous child sized person.

For reference in real life I am a big guy, a former lineman in college football and would most resemble a purple dragon night character. So part of the appeal is the tinyness I guess.
    Last edited by Jetrule; 06-20-2018 at 06:45 PM.
    Percivaul Dusol, BadRandall and Shortpact--The Silver Legion

Human is pretty hard to beat. Armor models all look right on them, free feats and skills are nice for almost any build, and so is racial tree healing amp. Bladeforged and Dragonborn come pretty close though -- Bladeforged get that huge free heal no matter what class they are (as long as they have a few spell points) and Dragonborn are dragons and can breathe fire. I love the way Shadar-kai look, but the two builds that seem coolest and most fitting for the race -- VoL VKF favored soul, dex-based chain -- are either impossible (deity restriction :/ ) or impractical (chain does like 3 damage and gets you killed). Ooh, and Deep Gnome.. there's just something adorably sinister about Deep Gnome Pale Masters, and it doesn't hurt that their racial tree/bonuses are fantastic.

Oops... I didn't answer the question very well. It would have been easier a long time ago, but there are too many good options to pick just one now

Community Member

Hmm. Either drow or Dragonborn.

Drow can have the highest dc for enchant spells in the game.

Dragonborn on the other hand looks pretty cool and has lots of cool effects for my favorite class.

Tough call.

Dwarf!

For flavor reasons mostly. I've played my archer as an Elf, Helf, Drow and Gnome so far, but he still looked the best on his first life as a Dwarf. I'll be likely coming back to that once I get completionist.
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

Quote Originally Posted by Trig_of_Cowtown View Post
    Good afternoon, everyone! Wow, it's almost Summer. Time really flies, doesn't it?

This week's discussion is about race, specifically DDO's races. So, what's your favorite race and why do you like to play it?
    Human, good in general
    Horc, makes some armors look good, many races look too skinny in plate.
    I wouldn't mind a half ogre race but i fear it would be too big for some places (coal chamber ledges?)

Human and Elf. Elves are just cool to me and our aesthetically pleasing. They are woodsy and live in large cities concealed by the Forest. Wizard, Ranger, and Scout (i.e. Rogue) are commonly associated with them (at least to me) and I enjoy playing all 3 (Ok 2, Wizard doesn't fit my play style in DDO but they tend to be my favorite protagonist in stories/lore).

I'm a Human so I may be biased towards that one.

Runner ups would have to be Dwarf, Gnome (Dragonlance), and Kender (I mean Halfling, yeah, Halfling).
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

Community Member

has to be a female drow as they have the most aesthetically pleasing rear in the game, lets be honest its
    better than a big old female dwarf.

your friend sil

Assuming everything is balanced and I'm not just picking something because it's OP, I will always pick human. As a human I more readily identify with playing a human. Is that weird? lmao.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

I've been human most of my lives but I'm not sure I'd say it's my favourite race.

Truthfully if Bladeforged wasn't iconic I'd play that race almost every life. I love the flavour and lore behind them. They look so badass and their starting appearance is just so darn cool.
    Main/Only character:
    Pyrerose, the Overlord of Love
    Triple Heroic Completionist. still in love with heroic content
    Current life(#51):
    20 Artificer, the Reforged Rose

Community Member

Until racial resurrections were a thing I exclusively played Human. Having now been forced to try all of the other races I feel vindicated in my original choice. The extra feat that Humans get far outweighs any bonuses that other races get in my opinion.

2016 DDO Players Council
    Resident Blue Dragon

I think my favorite race is Half-elf. I know they aren't pretty to look at, but I've just had the most fun playing as them and playing with the dilettante feats. Elf, is a close second, followed by Drow and Dragonborn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Wise fwom ur gwave.

Default Definitely Egyptians

Those pyramids are awesome. Is Egyptian a race?

Elf.
    Because in P&P they look good and I am totally vain.

Also, I like the idea of being a bit more dexterous and can live without the HP if I need to.
    Plus pointy ears and almond shaped eyes are cool!
    Bettayne Brah'dukcc, Cleric of Lathander
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life
    For DDO Queries, check out ddowiki.com; New to the game? Head to the Newbie Guide

Community Member

Gnome. Can't state the reason, it'll get me banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trig_of_Cowtown View Post

Still morning here. Aye, time flies. DDO is more than 12 years old now. If it were a baby back then, its now a teenager.

DDO race? sure. I like none human races, and halflings are fun to play. I can joke about being lucky and tell other characters (toons) to forget gambling or sneak attacks if you are not a halfling! *grins*

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Those pyramids are awesome. Is Egyptian a race?
    I think Egyptian likes canines (dog heads) and snakes. If Yuan-Ti is your favorite race and you love those +2 wisdom for your divine classes, then you'll probably have to wait a while.

If you like dog heads, you'll have to wait for those Yugoloth people to become a playable race.

I think Yugoloth is very similar to those Egyptian god heads.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Aasimar or the iconic version either one

Great heals & +2 wis = perfect for Druid/Cleric/FvS build who might be running with folks that don't realize your reaper healer has a self healing penalty.

Runner Up - Draconic is very cool

Honorable mention - human works with anything

Gnome for sure. Was my original standard when getting started in P&P as a child and despite having branched out to a much more diverse racial selection in both D&D as well as other games I'm still fond of them.

It certainly doesn't hurt that DDO Gnomes look fabulous and have Color Spray which I find to be one of the most fun spells in the game. I would highly recommend everyone try a Gnome Swashbuckler life using Color Spray to set up Coup de Grace. Much fun.
    Tell me about any and all bugs you encounter by clicking here!

NOTE: Submitting a bug in this manner is not a quick fix for past occurrences; it is instead a means of bringing issues to our attention to prevent future occurrences for both you and others. Providing detailed information, especially specifics about your account and character as well as what steps you took leading up to the issue, are critical to us being able to pinpoint the cause of any problems you have encountered.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast