Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Community Member

I think my main has 6s and I passed on 7s, and got a supreme 7 for my top alt. I might get 8s at some later time, but the truth is there's not much payout in the higher number tomes. 5 and 6 give enough to save build points to meet feat reqs in off stats, more is just minor boosts.

Quote Originally Posted by lLockehart View Post
    It's June, 2018 and we're yet to see an actual release of drop rates.
    You have a better chance of of an intelligent kobold hireling showing up.

If you want to know the formula they use, get a 5e DM guide, or a 1st printing of AD&D DM Guide. I know those 2 have the base tables used for rolling loot. As for any detailed numbers, NEVER should any of that ever be released, ever.

I know HOW the tables work, I don't know & don't want to know any of the changes or modifiers SSG is using.

There's no reward in knowing the future, makes the journey meaningless.
    Lagin

2016 DDO Players Council
    Hierophant of Vol

I typically buy a supreme for my main every other number. Eventually, if/when +9's come out I'll buy.

If the upgrades were more reasonably priced... I would purchase for all of my alts as well as my main. But... that just isn't going to happen. The gear bonuses to stats far outpaces the tomes we get now, so that extra +1 is nothing compared to the +4 they'll get from gear in the next 6-12 months.
    Griglok (main)- Cleric (TRing), Duelcore- Wiz 18/FvS 2, Embezzler- Rogue, Fiergen- Ftr 8/Rgr 6/Mnk 6, Greyhead- monk, Havegun- Ftr 2/Pal 18, Jayberwocky- Ftr 8/Mnk 12, Laciolux- Clr 16/FvS 4, Prototech- Artificer, Rendorc- Barbarian, Seasharp- Bard
    Leader- The Casual Obsession ___Khyber___

Underground, waiting for someone to pop the lever.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagin View Post
    You have a better chance of of an intelligent kobold hireling showing up.

If you want to know the formula they use, get a 5e DM guide, or a 1st printing of AD&D DM Guide. I know those 2 have the base tables used for rolling loot. As for any detailed numbers, NEVER should any of that ever be released, ever.

I know HOW the tables work, I don't know & don't want to know any of the changes or modifiers SSG is using.

There's no reward in knowing the future, makes the journey meaningless.
    Lagin
    What does that even mean? What relevancy does the 5e DMG loot table have in any way to our current loot system? That's like saying to get a copy of Diablo and check how the loot fares there, yes, you generate loot randomly... by using a random generator... that's no secret. What I want disclosed is the odds of pulling tomes, nameds and such.

They should be released because they are in every other meaningful game as it is an ethical approach widely requested and accepted now - for good reason. While I empathize with your adventurous impulse in stumbling upon loot in mysterious fashion and relishing the unknown rarity of your named item... you'll still enjoy it just the same.

People know they crit when they roll a 20, that doesn't detract from the excitement. If you know a Jibber's blade was dropping at 1%, you'd probably cherish it even more.
    Why do you think it's such a daunting task and something that's never going to happen when it's been done in many other, much more well established games. I even remember Steelstar or Sev saying they would try to pull the actual numbers sometime in the future.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Swimms View Post
    I would have made the purchase if the upgrade was at all reasonable.
    If the current trend continues, supreme +9 to +10 upgrades will be more expensive than full supreme +10 tomes. That trend was established when +4 tomes were added to the store, so I wouldn't be too surprised if it did indeed continue.

Looking back, when I first started playing this game in 2011, +3 tomes were not available in the DDO Store yet and upgrades didn't exist at all. Similar to today's prices, a +1 supreme tome cost 1495 Turbine Points while the +2 version cost 2495 - I considered getting one of those, but almost immediately decided against the +1 tome since the lack of upgrades made that option worthless to me. My decision might have been different if +1 to +2 upgrades had been available already back then: introduced at a cost of 1295 TP, they allowed for a later upgrade at a reasonable surcharge of 30% (the +2 tome was 1000 TP more expensive than the +1 one, but the upgrade was priced 1295 TP, i.e. 1000 TP plus 29.5% surcharge).

Of course, when I first saw the upgrade tomes, +3 tomes had been added to the store already, and the surcharge for the +2 to +3 upgrade was a much less reasonable 100% (the +3 tome was another 1000 TP more expensive than the +2 one, but the upgrade was priced 1995 TP, i.e. 1000 TP plus 99.5% surcharge). For some reason, somebody had decided that the cost of upgrades should increase (1995 TP for +2 to +3 vs 1295 TP for +1 to +2) even though the cost increase for the full tomes remained the same (+3 was 1000 TP more than +2, which was 1000 TP more than +1). And that made +1 tomes nearly worthless to me again: an upgrade from +1 to +3 cost 1295+1995=3290 TP, while a full +3 tome was sold for 3495 TP, so I certainly wasn't paying 1495 TP for the +1.

And the upgrade surcharges only got worse after that: A +4 tome became once again 1000 TP more expensive than the +3 version, but the +3 to +4 upgrade became 1000 TP more expensive than the +2 to +3 version, increasing the surcharge to 200%. Even when +5 tomes were added to the DDO Store at a price that was only 300 TP higher than that of +4 tomes, the +4 to +5 upgrade was still 2995 TP, bringing the upgrade surcharge up to an amazing 900% - the upgrade was now ten times as expensive as the difference between the +4 and +5 tomes. And while at least not making the +4 to +5 tome more expensive than the +3 to +4 one might have been considered a good sign, the +5 to +6 one became 3995 TP, while the cost difference between +5 and +6 remained at 300 TP: upgrade surcharge 1230%.

With the new +8 tomes, 300 DDO Points more expensive than the +7 ones, and upgrade tomes coming with a prize tag of 5345 points, the upgrade surcharge has reached 1680%. Hopefully somebody will notice the problem ahead before making +9 to +10 upgrades more expensive than full +10 tomes.

Now, guessing why the upgrade surcharge has been increasing as it did, I can think of mainly two reasons: 1. Somebody thinks that +7 to +8 must be more valuable than +1 to +2 even though the full tome costs clearly state otherwise (possibly because numbers are higher, and the full tome costs increase, too). 2. Allowing reasonably prized upgrades for tomes found or received in game means losing money, at least under the assumption that everybody would be willing to buy unreasonably priced ones, too. (And the latter is not really meant as criticism, after all the game has to generate revenue, it's just meant to bring the harsh realities of f2p back to mind. In that respect it doesn't matter whether or not +7 to +8 is more valuable than +1 to +2, only whether people can be convinced to pay more for it.)

Tols.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456