Community Member

Default Improving Echoes of Power (Suggesting some feat changes; a new feat; and items)

Hi all,

this is something that would allow wizards/sorcerers and other casters to be more self sufficient. Especially for long dungeons. At least that is my intention.

What you think if the feats: Mental Toughness, Improved Mental Toughness would improve also your echoes of power by a bit?
    Normally Magical Training provides you an Echoes of Power when your SP are less than 12.
    I suggest that Mental Toughness and Imp. Mental Toughness increase a bit that amount.

Magical Training (this remains as is)
    Echoes of Power (SP<12)
    Mental Toughness
    Echoes of Power (SP<13+1/lvl) (+2 at first level and +1 for every other level)
    Improved Mental Toughness
    Echoes of Power (SP<14+2/lvl) (another +2 at first level and +1 for every other level)

Furthermore, I also suggest the introduction of a feat that further increases your Echoes of power

Mental Recuperation
    Requires: Imp. Mental Toughness, ability to cast lvl 5 spells
    Echoes of Power increases by 10 at first level and +5 for every other level

This would result to a total Echoes of Power: 19+7/lvl

Practically this means you regenerate at level 9:
    up to 82 spell points
    At level 15:
    up to 124 spell points
    At level 20:
    up to 159 spell points

I would also suggest that the regeneration speed would follow a log function (starts fast but becomes slower and slower).

Practically, at level 9, 82 spell points is 2 battles or one big one if you are spamming your spells.
    I think it would be similar for the rest levels especially when you use metamagic feats.

Finally, this could introduce new magic item properties that increase your echoes of power with enchantment, insight, exceptional bonus.

Ohh, on reaper this could be halved to maintain the difficulty. But honestly in reaper I never had mana problems because of the dropped souls so I do not think it would be such a crucial addition there.

What you think?

Cheers
    Last edited by Igognito; 06-14-2018 at 08:00 AM.

As a long time caster for both Arcane and Divine I can honestly say that learning good Spell Point Management is what is needed, not an increase in Spell Point recovery.

Things to review

1. Meta magic usage. This is easier today to manage with the ability to "set" the hotbar spells to which one they use allowing multiple versions with different costs. Using this feature can decrease spending points unnecessarily
    2. Using the right spell for the job. It is easy to fall into the trap of a 2 to 3 spell cycle, but many times a person will have a cheaper or even a better spell for the situation to cast
    3. Evaluating when to cast. Just like a good comedian spell casting Timing is Everything. IE it is more efficient to cast Hold before you cast your damage spells to gain the extra damage the Hold gives you. Also, using a multi-target AoE vs a single target or vice versa.
    4. Evaluate the "Must cast at them all" which is an easy habit to form.
    5. Use of alternate spell sources - such as wands, scrolls and staffs. Sure they are not as powerful as cast from memory, but using them in conjunction for times they are enough to do the job can allow you to have spell points later. Also, there are several spells that are just as effective from these sources as they would be from memory, especially buffs.

since I started back in 2006 learning spell efficiency I have very rarely found myself in a place where I was out of spell points.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

No, thank you.

Spell points are just fine as they are now. The fact that we even have Echoes of Power at all is a handout to players who accidentally run out of SP part of the way through a quest. There are items that can give you more SP when you're in a pinch (the first one comes from Korthos Island, even) and you can change the way you manage spell points in quests. I'd suggest turning Metamagic off for almost all of your spells just as a start.

If you can't make it through a quest with SP left at the end, the solution is to get better at managing SP (or play a Warlock and end the quest at 100% of your SP bar full) rather than changing the game.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post

If you can't make it through a quest with SP left at the end, the solution is to get better at managing SP (or play a Warlock and end the quest at 100% of your SP bar full) rather than changing the game.
    Definitely. Casters are powerful in this game. SP management is one of their primary balancing factors. They don't need massive sp regen.