Thread: Mists expansion

Default Mists expansion

Did anyone think that the ravenloft expansion is quite short compared to motu? It only has 1 saga compared to the many sagas and quests on motu.
    The story is good but not only short but not as good as lolth story or shadowfel conspiracy, at least for me.

The disciples of rage pack is really good, but sadly the story doesn't get a proper ending. What happens to the beacon? Will we go on a quest to retrieve it someday and fight whoever was behind the theft?
    Will we get some story about the old ones? The quest "The Druid's Curse" had some old one's hints, with the staff whispering and turning mad and corrupt the druid Halsaime. I would love to see more of that too, but that story was years ago I guess that's it.

Disciples of Rage is a "to be continued" story line.

So that's by design.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey87 View Post
    Did anyone think that the ravenloft expansion is quite short compared to motu? It only has 1 saga compared to the many sagas and quests on motu.
    The story is good but not only short but not as good as lolth story or shadowfel conspiracy, at least for me.

The disciples of rage pack is really good, but sadly the story doesn't get a proper ending. What happens to the beacon? Will we go on a quest to retrieve it someday and fight whoever was behind the theft?
    Will we get some story about the old ones? The quest "The Druid's Curse" had some old one's hints, with the staff whispering and turning mad and corrupt the druid Halsaime. I would love to see more of that too, but that story was years ago I guess that's it.
    Ravenloft is self contained unlike MotU, so it seems smaller when you look at the saga count. Then you realize that a lot of the "MotU sagas" are comprised of content that didn't come out as part of MotU, like the Harbor chain to unlock Eveningstar, High Road, Druid's Curse, and Shadowfell. In actual content here's the real rundown of the sizes of the various expansions:

MotU: 1 quest in harbor (Beyond the Rift is F2P, but came out with MotU), 3 quests in King's Forest, 3 quests in Eveningstar, 1 quest in Underdark, 4 quests in Schindylryn, 3 quests in Demonweb and the Raid to cap it off. End content: 15 quests, 3 Explorer zones, 1 Raid

Shadowfell: 5 quests in Wheeloon, 5 quests in Stormhorns. 10 quests, 2 Explorer zones

Ravenloft: 12 quests (4 per part of chain) plus two raids to cap it off. 12 quests, 1 Explorer zone, 2 Raids.

So MotU does have the most content, but it's slightly more complicated than that. If you are only comparing the main chain and discount the F2P quests, then Ravenloft actually is longer than MotU, with 12 quests and a Raid (Curse of Strahd since Baba doesn't require flagging) compared to MotU's 11 quests and a raid.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post

So that's by design.
    I know is not related, but when are you going to have a discount on the base edition of the expansion? =(

So that's by design.
    Oh, ok. Great then. I liked that adventure pack, hope they continue it soon.

And yes, maybe motu seems bigger because shadowfel quests are also there in eveningstar, plus some side quests and that pre chain from the lords of dust.
    Idk, I didn't do the ravenloft raids yet, I know they are good. I just ended the saga and had that feeling of short story.

So that's by design.

The repeating problem seems to be that no one wants to finish up the creative work began by another. Or perhaps the original authors just get distracted by some new shiny. Or whatever, the end result is the same: Incomplete work, things left undone, etc.

There are a good many past storylines that just stalled. The latest includes U36 Mines of Tethyamar, which also had very much a "too be continued" feel to it, was released right before Ravenloft, and then was back-burnered in favor of work on Ravenloft. Which has no connection with Age of Rage other than the missing helms in AoR that didn't make it into the expansion. And now Age of Rage is back-burnered in favor of White Plume Mountain. Etc., etc.

When all of the back-burnered development work on things like Druid and Artificer pets which should have been done when those classes got their third trees added, and a great many other things that I won't bother to list in detail is considered, those back burners are looking pretty overfull.