Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If you want/need someone to run with, lemme know, can create 1 toon (or 10 lol) in orien and help you guiding and showing some tips, i'm currently finding more fun in running brand new and ungeared toons than with my multilives toons

Heck i could even be your healer rofl, just lemme know if you need someone to run with, and your level/classes
    psykopeta is finally baconpletionist because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS: I post only in the latest thread shown in main page, in the weird case u want something from me, feel free to send pm

Part of what I like about DDO is the choice. I am not forced to "follow a path" layed out by others.

If you need guidance there are some goals to set for yourself. Get your Coin Lord and Kundarak favor, work on the sagas available at your level, etc.

Are you VIP? Are you running "at level", meaning are you running quests at the same level you are on Normal or 2 levels lower on Elite?

There are lots of things to do and not all quests are created equal, or equally difficult. One level 6 may be a walk in the park and then the next one stomps you to dust. If that happens, go grab a hireling or post an LFM to get help.

As others have said, reach out for help here and in game. I have characters at different levels on all servers. Post your character name and I will look you up.

Community Member

I posted the character name in the original thread along with my server and my level but I will post it again. Liberali Fatali. Half-elf Monk who has chosen the Ninja Spy tree and thus the dark monk feat. Server is Orien. At this moment I am currently level 7 but will soon hit level 8.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    Sorry, but that's a load of garbage.

1, there was a full paragraph of explanation on "how to" (hint - read "in context"). 2, I was referring how to open the journal, not explaining how to use it - which had already been done about as well as one can, so no need to parrot that.

I agree it can be bewildering - but not so much with the advice offered in this thread. But if the previous single short paragraph was TLDR, then I can also see how a lot more than need be can be confusing.
    I'm pretty sure he was talking about the game itself not explaining these things to new players well, not that you didn't. You should not be expected to personally explain details like this to every new player. That is what the game itself should do, and it doesn't really do it all that well. Hence many of the people he knows who tried this game ended up not continuing. Your quote just provided a great example of what the game itself is not doing very well.

As for the OP: while there are a good number of stand alone quests, many are also chains connected by a common thread/plot/story line. These all tend to be in the same range of difficulty. Older quests/adventure packs tend to be on the easier side as well, so I'd start with those and progress through them linearly. Some of them will also have an NPC in charge of the chain who can/will direct you to the next one in the chain. Most of the Free to Play quests tend to be older/easier as well (but that is not a universal truth). Unfortunately, knowing the release date of various quests/adventure packs is not the easiest information to find and requires some digging around in the DDO wiki. Though the wiki pages that let you organize adventure packs by level, quests by level, quests by free to play status, etc are good places to start. Then you can pick one that looks interesting and start on that plot/story line of quests.

edit: if you generally stick with normal difficulty, it is possible to use pretty much just what you find and do fairly well (though you will not 'dominate'), but you will need to use some mobility to your advantage (don't just stand there trading blows all the time). For gear that improve stats, it's the bonus type that matters (ie: enhancement bonus, equipment bonus, insight bonus, luck bonus, sacred bonus, etc). Same types do not stack, but different types do. There are some exceptions (untyped always stacks, some other types can stack as well). Trying to be a jack of all trades can work on lower difficulties, but becomes a great hindrance in higher difficulties. I prefer a more focuses approach and understanding my strengths and weaknesses.

However, Use Magic Device is a great skill that opens up many doors for you. It will not make you a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none build to invest a bit into UMD, but it will supplement your main focus with more options (like a bit of extra self healing and buffs via wands and scrolls, eventually the ability to use resurrection scrolls to raise dead party members, etc). However, if you're following a pre-made path then customizing your skill points is not an option.

You can also generally tell what abilities/spells will be most effective against enemies by a glance. This is not always true, but casters tend to have low fort saves and low ac but very high will saves, big bruiser types tend to have high forst but low will and sometimes low reflex, archers are high reflex but low fort, etc. Like I said, not always true, but for the most part it's a good starting point so that when you're attacking with abilities and various forms of crowd control, you'll be better to know what is more likely to work rather than just spamming and hoping.
    Last edited by vryxnr; 06-14-2018 at 05:47 PM.

Community Member

Can anyone tell me if the "assassinate +x" does anything for a ninja spy or is it only useful for rogues?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyThePianist View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the "assassinate +x" does anything for a ninja spy or is it only useful for rogues?
    rogues only

and while i appreciate you staying pure i strongly suggest dabbling in other trees. shinto and henshin both have some low hanging fruit that is nice
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Community Member

What would you suggest from either of those trees for a ninja?

Henshin

just off of my head - the first 3 cores give you + 9 melee power
    from tier 1 - animal forms gives various bonuses - i like the hp one myself. also the elemental words helps in boss fights
    tier 2 - contemplation. unbalancing strike
    tier 3 - lighting the candle, +1 wisdom ( at this point its a fair amount of points in tree)

Shintao

as many of the cores as you can get for the healing amp.
    tier 1 - deft strikes, reed in the wind
    tier 2 - smite creature, iron skin
    tier 3 - jade strike, wisdom
    tier 4 - tomb of jade

just some things off top of my head
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

If you're sticking strictly to a "concept build", and you don't care about "min/maxing", then "what's best" is purely up to you - it's your ninja, it's your concept, we can't tell you what's best for that.

However, for most(?) players, it's about "what's best" for DPS, for survivability, for questing - for getting the most out of the build that they can. And when spending AP's (or making any choice, really), that's all about tradeoffs. "What are you giving up?" vs. "What are you getting instead?".

You can't get Tier 5 enhancements until Character Level 12, so Ninja 5 is on hold. If you're level 8, you've spent about 40 points on the Ninja tree - most trees have some good stuff, some maybe(?) not so good.* You need to spend 11+ points to access Core 6 in another tree - so what's "good" for about a dozen points?

(* Ninja Spy is pretty solid, but if(?) you solo a lot, then reducing threat generation ("Subtlety") is pointless - it's just you. I count about 45 total AP possible in Tiers 1-4, so if you take everything except that - yeah, you're looking for a new tree soon.)

Hob (above) summed up Henshin Mystic pretty well - let's ignore quarterstaff and elemental damage - what's left that's worthwhile for a self-respecting Ninja? From the Cores, grabbing +9 Melee Power and +9 PRR is money - and the +6 Fire Resist + Quickdraw feat(!) are gravy on top of that.

In Tier 1, you can add +3 DC to your Finishing moves - yes, please, tyvm. And your choice of Animal Form - Tortoise is always nice, +HP and + Concentration, but ymmv. Tier 2 adds +3 to Will ST & gives +1 Ki generation, choose a Ki Attack and we're at 11/10 AP spent for Core 6, making it 12 AP, an even dozen. Moving on into Tier 3 is optional - you could grab a quick +1 to any Ability (Wisdom?), and then... ymmv, but I'm not seeing a lot after that.

o http://ddowiki.com/page/Henshin_Mystic_enhancements

From Shintao, otoh, you gain Healing Amp, which is always a nice boost. (If you're fighting "unarmed", then the bypass improvements are relevant to you - if not, then ignore.) But if nothing more, spending just 6 points for the +20 HAmp (on top of the racial tree as well?) is a huge boost.

From the Tiers, the "Healing Ki" options don't sound very ninja-ish, so... Reed in the Wind jumps out as a bonus 3[W] attack, w/ an added Dodge boost on the back end - nuff said. And Deft Strikes for +10% offhand attacks - 8 points for all that and Core 3, sure.

From there, if you're willing to push on for Core 6, Tier 2 offers a lot to choose from - +20 PRR, +3 Fort ST plus +15 HP plus +3 Concentration, a Smite, and/or a Ki Strike (Iron Claw? +1 Crit Range & +1 multiplier). Tier 3 here is more attractive if you have Stun boosts, with 2 diff strikes to choose from, and another +1 to Wis or Con - again, ymmv at this point.

o http://ddowiki.com/page/Shintao_enhancements

And then plus your Racial tree, if you're going there. Some useful stuff there too, but I think(?) you get more from one of the above for the points spent.

o http://ddowiki.com/page/Half-Elf_enhancements

So... yeah, there's some good stuff there! Just balance one against the other, and see how it goes. And if you hate it, re-speccing a low-Tier tree is cheap.

(Note - it's also possible (for some, expected) to take something as "filler" before Level 12, then dump that tree and spend those points on your chosen Tier V as soon as you take 12. Again, it's balancing one against the other - and it's a no-brainer that a half-dozen AP in Tier V beats Tier 1 in something else 99% of the time. Again - and as always - ymmv.)
    Last edited by C-Dog; 06-16-2018 at 01:20 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12