Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default So new, so lost, so hopeful. I need a teacher!

So I just started a week ago. My name is Liberali Fatali and I reside on the Orien server. I have a little familiarity with D&D but that has only helped me understand what is happening and not what I should be doing. Now, to be clear and completely transparent, I have chosen a path that is not easy and may even be considered incorrect. I decided that the path for me is the path of the Ninja. So I created my half-elf monk and leveled myself up to level 7. I am steadfast in the path that I have chosen. I will take my ninja all the way. I won't consider a different class or tree. I would love some advice with it though if any can be had.

To get myself to the point I am at now, I have simply walked through and completed each quest in the order that they appear in my vicinity. Once done, I move on to another area and complete those quests. There isn't much direction once you get to Stormreach and so this seemed the most logical way for me to continue.

The advice I am looking for is in regards to equipment, general stat progression, tactics on fighting, and last but not least things to know as a newcomer. I have read a lot of posts on these topics but some are older than others so this is my attempt at retrieving the latest and most applicable information.

I am spacing out toward the end of this post now and am happy to answer any questions or provide any detail requested.

I preemptively also want to give thanks for the help to any who choose to provide.

Thank you!

for the class:
    It seems like you are VIP so I would run the Cannith Challenges in house Cannith and get a bracers of wind and frozen tunic at the lowest minimum levels for use as a TR twink item as well as defense/offense.

For enhancements: take ninja cores until you get shadow veil; then take the shintao cores. Use handwraps and buff dex and wisdom as high as possible (ninja cores will give you dex to hit and damage). I encourage the use of tactical attacks like stunning fist (if you have it) or jade strikes and elemental strikes. As you level, you will gain new feats at levels 6, 12 and 18 (if you go that high on this character) and under those feats (adept of forms, master of forms etc.) you will see hotbar icons for elemental attacks that have increased damage. So while fighting enemies, your ki bar will go up and you can expend it on ki attacks like the earth fist one and get a bonus to damage, or the fire one and have fire damage added to your attack.

Monk is an advanced tactical class and very difficult for new players. However, you sound set to keep up this path and kudos. I can only suggest general monk guides and general new player guides on questing, packs etc at this point which will be under the stickies section of the new player forum.
    ROGUE Part QUATRE: Prove your Stealth Skills!

Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    get a bracers of wind and frozen tunic at the lowest minimum levels for use as a TR twink item as well as defense/offense.
    Can you tell me what the underlined means? I have no idea what any of the acronyms in this game are.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyThePianist View Post
    Can you tell me what the underlined means? I have no idea what any of the acronyms in this game are.
    TR = True Reincarnation. It means taking your capped character and starting them over again at level 1 with some benefits. It's a major activity in this game.

Something is a "TR twink item" if it's better gear than most other items at the same level. Usually you won't get it right away the first time you're that level (or the content where you get it is actually higher level than the level where you'd USE it), so the reason why you farm for it is because you plan to TR once you cap, not because you plan to use it right away.

Community Member

TR means "True Reincarnation". Once you reach 20th level, you can "True Reincarnate" back to first level (and can choose race and class again), and gain a "Past Life" feat.

"Twink item" means a powerful item given by a high-level character to a low-level character to use. In DDO these are often the same character. Eg: Ioun stones can be upgraded in Dreaming Dark, a 20th level quest, but are only 5th level when upgraded.

"Twink" is commonly used in MMOs, but was originally a gay sub-culture term, for a young guy who recieved gifts from rich old guys.

... I decided that the path for me is the path of the Ninja. So I created my half-elf monk and leveled myself up to level 7. I am steadfast in the path that I have chosen. I will take my ninja all the way. I won't consider a different class or tree...
    Well, deciding to stay "pure monk" (and not multi-class) is fair enough, but you'll have to take another tree at some point - trees don't have 80 AP in them. So even if not now, eventually - and you might as well get the most out of the mix.

(I suppose you ~could~ go the rest in Racial tree, but... really?)

Both Henshin Mystic and Shintao have some good low-hanging fruit (Core 1, 3, & Tiers 1-2); you could do a lot worse.

o http://ddowiki.com/page/Henshin_Mystic_enhancements
    o http://ddowiki.com/page/Shintao_enhancements

Community Member

Look at the Adventure Compendium to see what quests are available to you (probably best to sort by level).

Community Member

You don't necessarily want to just wander an area and do all the quests. This works at very early levels, because early on most quests in a certain level range are grouped in the same general geographical area (Korthos and much of the Harbor). However, you have probably noticed even in the harbor there are some quests that are significantly higher level than you are. Doing those at lvl 7 would be suicide and not very fun at all.

If you click on the symbol in the bottom left corner, you will get a menu. One of those is a green book. Click on it, and you will get a few pages with lists. The first page lists all the quests in the game. It is able to be sorted by clicking on the headings at the top. If you click on the "level" heading, it will sort things by level, and you can work your way through the list in that way. The quests in the list also show the location of the quest, so you will probably notice things like 4 quests grouped in House Deneith, or a large chain in Tangleroot, etc. That will allow you to tackle things at your level in an area with significantly less frustration.
    Graceana, assassin ~ Xiya, tempest ~ Shinshi, shintao ~ Ayaxi, thief-acrobat ~ Saravi, cleric ~ Sanziana, arcane archer ~ Kyudojin, mechanic
    Talvi, caster druid ~ Zinzie, shiradi sorc ~ Kishori, spellsinger ~ Faunia, wolf druid ~ Viven, warchanter ~ Jianqiao, ninja spy
    Cliodna, wizard ~ Serenwyn, swashbuckler ~ Duisteri, shuribuild ~ Mahuika, warlock ~ Narabali, tank ~ Tabbithah, artificer
    The Casual Obsession
    Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    Ask for TWEAKS and ye shall receive, and lo, the nerfhammer shall be moderate. Ask for cow from orbit and ye shall receive that, too, and be sorry you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace_ana View Post
    If you click on the symbol in the bottom left corner, you will get a menu...
    Or just hit [p], and look under the "Adventures" tab - that works too.

So I just started a week ago. My name is Liberali Fatali and I reside on the Orien server. I have a little familiarity with D&D but that has only helped me understand what is happening and not what I should be doing. Now, to be clear and completely transparent, I have chosen a path that is not easy and may even be considered incorrect. I decided that the path for me is the path of the Ninja. So I created my half-elf monk and leveled myself up to level 7. I am steadfast in the path that I have chosen. I will take my ninja all the way. I won't consider a different class or tree. I would love some advice with it though if any can be had.
    You will eventually need to spend those AP in some of the other Tree's or even Racial. I will assume you chose the "Dark" path at level 3 and are focusing in Ninja Assassin Enhancement Tree which is fine.

To get myself to the point I am at now, I have simply walked through and completed each quest in the order that they appear in my vicinity. Once done, I move on to another area and complete those quests. There isn't much direction once you get to Stormreach and so this seemed the most logical way for me to continue.
    As other's have mentioned, "P" is the default for bringing up quests that are in the game and the amount of favor you have acquired, if any, doing them. This does mean you may move around from House to House but it provides some direction.

Some quests are parts of chains. You will see an NPC with Three (3) Chalices above their head (instead of the default one). These are small (usually 4 to 5 in total adventures), or in some cases part of a much larger, story arc (to give you the feel of Role Playing in PnP).

Most players (who have played for awhile), simple play all level X until they have reached their XP maximum for that level. Level up and do X+1 repeating the process until 20, 30, or whatever there intended goal is for that character.

The advice I am looking for is in regards to equipment, general stat progression, tactics on fighting, and last but not least things to know as a newcomer. I have read a lot of posts on these topics but some are older than others so this is my attempt at retrieving the latest and most applicable information.
    Equipment - Your playing a Monk so equipment is probably easier than some classes. As another poster said, Bracers of Wind will be a smart investment for lvl 4 to 20. So will Frozen Tunic and Ring of the Stalker (11+ versions for the ring, only. Although it has lots of goodies on one item, Manslayer is awesome). I would only recommend focusing on the Tier 1 versions, upgrading them every 4 levels. Upgrading the Epic (lvl 20) version to tier 3 so you can add augments.

Adamantine Knucklles or Scraps of Enlightenment would be my two choices to farm (once sufficient level). If your going Short Swords or Kama...I have nothing.

Arkat's Cord is a great option too if going unarmed. If you are using weapons...I have nothing again.

General Stat Progression
    Dex or Wisdom Based. As a first lifer without Tomes (unless your spending money in the DDO Store) Dex based is the best choice. All level up's into Dex.

Tactics on Fighting
    Fire Stance is great 1 to 4'ish (and then to pull levers later)
    Water, Wind, and Earth are better after that. I prefer Water in Heroic then Earth in Epic's (but again, this is my personal preference).

Keep moving. Your focusing on "Ninja" so use your 3rd Core enhancement (shadow veil, ?) before every fight and recharge as needed. Remember as you level you gain more abilities to avoid danger or do quick strikes then move outside of battle (i.e. Sneak, Strike, Shadow Step away if things get too "hairy").

Use corners and break LOS on casters. You may have already discovered this vs. Kobald Shaman but it is worth mentioning again. Group and watch what other do. Every quest has different "tricks" to avoid death. You wont learn everything the first go through but as you gain knowledge through repetition, you will die less.

I am spacing out toward the end of this post now and am happy to answer any questions or provide any detail requested.

I preemptively also want to give thanks for the help to any who choose to provide.

Thank you!
    More information on your build would be helpful.

What feats have you taken already? What do you plan on taking in the future?

How did you distribute your stats on character creation?

Are you following a particular build on the forums? If you made modifications, what were they?
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoLionxxx View Post
    "I know Constitution isn't a dump stat, that's why I didn't dump any points into it. Why are you yelling?"
    "Less shinies and more durability!" - How to address the rampant Power Creep introduced into the game Update after Update

Community Member

If you are using short swords because of the ninja enhancement tree, you want Tiefling Assassin's Blades for early levels, then when you get closer to level 14 start farming the Orchard for tome pages and get at least 1 Razorend.

In a perfect scenario involving raiding and expansion packs, you'd want Razorend/Treason for your main weapons, then Green Steel triple Positive/Barovian for fighting undead or good DR bypassing.

Another easy and good piece to get is the Giantcraft Robe (I wore this on my assassin all the way up to level 29).
    Stratis on Khyber

Want to know my build?
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...il-of-the-Bard

So Ninja is an interesting choice. Ninja's are typically supposed to wield dual shortswords and rely on stealth, sneak attack and single target damage (that's what I get from reading the enhancement tree and theory crafting/playing the build).

People in this thread seem to be trying to push you towards the "more powerful" Shintao build instead, which uses handwraps and is a versitile fighter with cc and good defenses and lots of damage and self healing and... yeah. Stuff. It may or may not work as well as they expect.

I don't think many people know exactly what the "path of the ninja" entails (aka the predefined path); what a path does is it picks specific feats and stats that the devs thought (once upon a time) were good for a specific build. Weather the devs were right or if the feats have remained good is a bit questionable, but you should end up with something that's not terrible.

What I'm expecing however is that the path granted path of inevitable domain as the choice for monk path to you (which is the ninja path); while shintao monks go for path of harmonious balance. This difference can make it a bit harder to try and do a shintao build, since it means you'll be locked out of the enhancements which get bonus damage for handwraps and you'll not have the self healing aspect. That said; even my ninja spies use handwraps against skeletons, and they do a lot of damage still. (Handwraps have crazy fast attackspeed and good damage).

In terms of the Tiefling's Assassin Blade mentioned above; it is an amazing sword, but it is also really frustratingly rare if you try to farm it. If you're lucky and rich you might buy one off the auction house (probably the shard exchange), but otherwise you might find it too much work to get if you're not planning on running a bunch more ninja-spy (or swashbuckler) builds in the future. Especially since you're level 7 already; Tiefling's is good from level 4 until level 12ish.
    Selvera: Warforged Warlock 15; Zhenpai's Acid Warlock
    Jen: Shadarkai Ranger 12/ Rogue 2/ Fighter 6/ Epic 6; Skyrim Archer
    Mayve: Drow Fvs 15/ Monk 5/Epic 10; Ninja Healer

Quote Originally Posted by Selvera View Post
    So Ninja is an interesting choice. Ninja's are typically supposed to wield dual shortswords and rely on stealth, sneak attack and single target damage (that's what I get from reading the enhancement tree and theory crafting/playing the build).

People in this thread seem to be trying to push you towards the "more powerful" Shintao build instead, which uses handwraps and is a versitile fighter with cc and good defenses and lots of damage and self healing and... yeah. Stuff. It may or may not work as well as they expect.
    Unfortunately I have more experience with Handwraps and not Short Swords

Pondering Short Swords/Kama's, Ravenloft should provide you with a decent weapon for doing the introductory quest (unfortunately its a once per life reward. Once on Heroic and once on Epic).

I don't think many people know exactly what the "path of the ninja" entails (aka the predefined path); what a path does is it picks specific feats and stats that the devs thought (once upon a time) were good for a specific build. Weather the devs were right or if the feats have remained good is a bit questionable, but you should end up with something that's not terrible.
    The predetermined paths were always horrible. Well at least since 2010 when I started.

What I'm expecing however is that the path granted path of inevitable domain as the choice for monk path to you (which is the ninja path); while shintao monks go for path of harmonious balance. This difference can make it a bit harder to try and do a shintao build, since it means you'll be locked out of the enhancements which get bonus damage for handwraps and you'll not have the self healing aspect. That said; even my ninja spies use handwraps against skeletons, and they do a lot of damage still. (Handwraps have crazy fast attackspeed and good damage).
    Inevitable Domain was my thought too. Fits the Assassin theme.

In terms of the Tiefling's Assassin Blade mentioned above; it is an amazing sword, but it is also really frustratingly rare if you try to farm it. If you're lucky and rich you might buy one off the auction house (probably the shard exchange), but otherwise you might find it too much work to get if you're not planning on running a bunch more ninja-spy (or swashbuckler) builds in the future. Especially since you're level 7 already; Tiefling's is good from level 4 until level 12ish.
    Ravenloft Short Sword is an option for completing Into the Mist.*
    Necro IV/Orchard is a PITA to farm pages but is an option.
    LoD is an option. Easy SS to acquire but level 16. Lower DPS but decent crowd control.

* - Looks like you can farm tokens to purchase a 2nd Sword. You best option! If you are like me and haven't purchased RL, then have to follow what other posters have suggested..
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoLionxxx View Post
    "I know Constitution isn't a dump stat, that's why I didn't dump any points into it. Why are you yelling?"
    "Less shinies and more durability!" - How to address the rampant Power Creep introduced into the game Update after Update

Seeing as I've run a ninja focused shortsword build (still using it at cap! see Mayve in the sig :P); I can comment on a few shortswords and their usefulness:

Tiefling's Assassin Blade -> Is awesome. I use it on many different builds as soon as I hit level 4 because the critical profile is amazing and because it gets dexterity to damage by just existing; which helps a number of my builds (which get that at a higher level; so I invested in Dex, but didn't have it yet).

Ravenloft Shortsword (aka Barovian Shortsword) -> Is quite good, especially against undead. I'll typically use the tiefling's until such a level as I get (Improved Critical: piercing) against anything that can be crit, and use ravenloft shortswords against undead. Then when I hit level 12 and get improved crit I move over to ravenloft more full-time. (At level 11 Tiefling's assassin's bade is 15-20 x2 compared with ravenloft's 19-20 x2 which is huge difference, at level 12 the comparison becomes more in the lines of 14-20 x2 vs 16-20 x2, which is a bit less of a difference.)

Necro 4 shortsword -> I don't have this. I hear that it's good. PITA to get though.

Lords of Dust shortsword (aka envenomed blade) -> This has a pretty high drop rate in an easy quest that is very commonly run. I've probably picked up about 20 of these so far... Anyways, the sword is decent; the paralyzing is good up until about level 20 and the armor piercing sort of makes up for the not-better-then-average critical profile. Paralyzing doesn't work on everything, but against stuff it does work on you can essentially stunlock your enemies.
    Selvera: Warforged Warlock 15; Zhenpai's Acid Warlock
    Jen: Shadarkai Ranger 12/ Rogue 2/ Fighter 6/ Epic 6; Skyrim Archer
    Mayve: Drow Fvs 15/ Monk 5/Epic 10; Ninja Healer

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post

More information on your build would be helpful.

What feats have you taken already? What do you plan on taking in the future?

How did you distribute your stats on character creation?

Are you following a particular build on the forums? If you made modifications, what were they?
    Well honestly the only thing I could find at first was called the book of syncletica. I have taken dodge, mobility, spring attack, stunning fist, power attack, path of inevitible dominion, and stealthy. I dilettante'd as rogue. I distributed my stats as such... STR 14, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 8, WIS 16, CHA 8. I used the next stat boost on STR by accident in hopes of grabbing the Two Weapon Fighting feat. The skills I have been putting points in: I max out Concentration and then distribute points to either hide and move silently, or jump and tumble.

Thank you so much to everyone who is helping I really appreciate all the feedback! I didn't expect such a great response!

Also, what is "LoD?" How do i obtain the Bracers of Wind and other suggested items?
    Last edited by JoeyThePianist; 06-13-2018 at 08:49 PM.

The Wiki is your friend

o http://ddowiki.com/page/LoD (it's a quest - the shortsword is a rare (or so) drop from that quest)
    o http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Bracers_of_Wind

Community Member

What you really should do as a new player is to not farm the same damn quests or challenges over and over for this or that imaginary item until you're ready to bash your own face in. Do your quests and move on and on until you can't move any further. Only then go back and redo stuff. There's only one single enemy that poses any threat to you at all and it's burnout/boredom. Only that can destroy your ninja (and whatever other characters you make down the line) permanently, so be on guard against it (and only it).

Otherwise, feel free to take all the advice given here.

Community Member

So I just started a week ago.
    [...]
    I decided that the path for me is the path of the Ninja. So I created my half-elf monk and leveled myself up to level 7. I am steadfast in the path that I have chosen. I will take my ninja all the way. I won't consider a different class or tree. I would love some advice with it though if any can be had.

You've gotten a lot of class advice already. I'd like to discuss the last sentence. I've found, and have had it reinforced by the few friends I've been able to interest in this game but who never stuck with it far past level 6 or so, that the lack of direction that you cite is a common thread. In Korthos players are "on the rails" so to speak, and the NPCs direct you fairly specifically in where you need to go and what you need to do.

But once in Stormreach, that vanishes. The new player is instead presented with a bewildering amount of NPCs with quest flags over their heads and they have to do some work to figure out where to go and what to do. Right after a level ~1-3 experience where they were guided fairly carefully and told what they needed to do next. It isn't a huge amount of work in my opinion, but my friends who have given the game a try and then abandoned it have cited this as an issue. Things like
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    Or just hit [p], and look under the "Adventures" tab - that works too.
    are not well explained to a new player. And so they all quit DDO. And maybe the game just wasn't for them. Maybe the things they said about the game that caused them to abandon playing it were not entirely the things that they expressed. All I can do is to take them at their words and accept that their reasons were the actual reasons they didn't continue on in DDO. And much of their complaints was about a lack of direction.

Would you prefer that the Stormreach quests be presented to you in a more formal manner, with more of the "go here and do this" kind of quest progression that exists in Korthos?
    Last edited by Niminae; 06-14-2018 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Niminae View Post
    Things like <quote snipped> are not well explained to a new player...
    Sorry, but that's a load of garbage.

1, there was a full paragraph of explanation on "how to" (hint - read "in context"). 2, I was referring how to open the journal, not explaining how to use it - which had already been done about as well as one can, so no need to parrot that.

I agree it can be bewildering - but not so much with the advice offered in this thread. But if the previous single short paragraph was TLDR, then I can also see how a lot more than need be can be confusing.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Niminae View Post

Would you prefer that the Stormreach quests be presented to you in a more formal manner, with more of the "go here and do this" kind of quest progression that exists in Korthos?
    To be honest, that would definitely be great. Just knowing what I should be able to expect to handle solo as i level up instead of thinking I am doing a poor job at something or a great job at something and realizing that I am completely wrong. Like "Hey look, a quest that says level 6. With the information I have from the developers of the game, I should be of the appropriate level to tackle this." Then I try it and get curb-stomped by a troll. So yeah, direction is key past levels 1-3. I think direction should be at least loosely visible up to about 10-12. That way I have a solid foundation of what I need to do on a real island and not just the new player island.

I have been able to utilize all the advice given to me thus-far and it has been extremely helpful. I am working on trying to obtain some of the gear mentioned above now. I am not afraid of doing a little repetitive hunting if it is for something great and rare!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast