View Poll Results: Should self heal penalty be reduced?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Should self heal penalty in reaper be reduced across the board?

21 21.43%
  • Should self heal penalty in reaper be reduced in certain difficulty ranges? If so what ranges?

4 4.08%
  • Should self heal penalty in reaper be reduced for certain classes only? If so what classes and why?

12 12.24%
  • Self heal penalty should not be reduced or changed in any way?

61 62.24%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Should Self Heal penalty in reaper be reduced

Reaper Difficulty or Reaper Mode is the highest difficulty in DDO introduced in Update 34. This game mode has ten sub-difficulties, known as "skulls," that can further increase the challenge rating.
    Most notably, self healing in reaper mode is significantly reduced, but is this true for all forms of healing and temporary hit-points? Is the self healing in reaper mode reduced effecting all classes the same in there perspective places on the battlefield? Should reduction of self healing in reaper mode be reduced? If so should it only be reduced for certain classes, across the board, at certain levels, or left as is?
    Last edited by noobodyfool; 06-06-2018 at 10:12 AM.

You should stop crying over reaper difficulty. If you do not like it do not play on reaper difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by noobodyfool View Post
    Reaper Difficulty or Reaper Mode is the highest difficulty in DDO introduced in Update 34. This game mode has ten sub-difficulties, known as "skulls," that can further increase the challenge rating.
    Most notably, self healing in reaper mode is significantly reduced, but is this true for all forms of healing and temporary hit-points? Is the self healing in reaper mode reduced effecting all classes the same in there perspective places on the battlefield? Should reduction of self healing in reaper mode be reduced? If so should it only be reduced for melee, across the board, at certain levels, or left as is?
    Honestly the only thing the Self-Healing penalty does is separate the "Haves" from the "Have Nots."

Should it go? Depends who you ask Personally I find Reaper a huge fail on many levels. Should the element of self-healing penalty be removed? Probably, but I won't loose sleep over it not being removed.
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

I like the idea of Reaper Self-Healing penalty myself. My reason is it fosters an environment where players "have-each-others-back".

That being said, I do think there are a few places that should be tweaked.

Notably abilities like Lesser Restore which does have a chance to do absolutely nothing if you self cast/drink etc.

I also wouldn't be against a review of abilities like Fast Healing.

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Honestly the only thing the Self-Healing penalty does is separate the "Haves" from the "Have Nots."

Should it go? Depends who you ask Personally I find Reaper a huge fail on many levels. Should the element of self-healing penalty be removed? Probably, but I won't loose sleep over it not being removed.
    Thank you please participate in poll if you can.

I think it’s way more important to have a conversation about gear. What do you all think is the best helmet to have for a warlock at endgame? A few examples would be good. I mean if you and Chai have to derail my thereads like petulent children, I can play that game too.

The new age of rage helm is good. Anyone have a reaper bonus on it?
    Ghallanda Server Banned Camp
    Main: Allimar

DDO was in 'solo mode' for so long, and then reaper came out, and now you get whiners that they can't self heal and solo high difficulty quests. Sorry, no. Either learn to play with others or stick to R1 where the healing penalty is manageable. Learn to be helpful to others and heal each other and there wouldn't be a problem. If you can't fit some form of healing into your build then you're doing it wrong or you should make that build useful to groups.

Sure, some builds got hit extra hard by the self-healing penalty (like pale masters) but learn to adapt. I highly doubt the self-healing penalty will be reduced, nor should it.
    Primary Home: Argonnessen
    Also known as: Archarias, Ishtaris, Arthies, Artharias, Astanius, and Fidgity.
    "Elder brains are a lot like bouncy castles. They just sit there, but if you jump up and down on them, things get interesting real quick." ~FlimsyFirewood

Quote Originally Posted by HastyPudding View Post
    DDO was in 'solo mode' for so long, and then reaper came out, and now you get whiners that they can't self heal and solo high difficulty quests. Sorry, no. Either learn to play with others or stick to R1 where the healing penalty is manageable. Learn to be helpful to others and heal each other and there wouldn't be a problem. If you can't fit some form of healing into your build then you're doing it wrong or you should make that build useful to groups.

Sure, some builds got hit extra hard by the self-healing penalty (like pale masters) but learn to adapt. I highly doubt the self-healing penalty will be reduced, nor should it.
    Ok I don't agree but thats ok thx for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by simo0208 View Post
    I think it’s way more important to have a conversation about gear. What do you all think is the best helmet to have for a warlock at endgame? A few examples would be good. I mean if you and Chai have to derail my thereads like petulent children, I can play that game too.

The new age of rage helm is good. Anyone have a reaper bonus on it?
    The age of rage helm is kinda meh, imo, right now. Since I really like the Gauntlets of Innate Aracanum from RL, which have the +19 cha on them already and Evo +8 and Quality Cha +4 and +412 wizardry.

As a result, I am typically doing a Hide Hardened Helm if I'm looking for the 5 piece sorcerer's set bonus from Slave Lords (+4 Artifact DC and +2 artifact to Cha is nice on a DC build). Or I do an LGS one, if I am going for an ender set. Possibly a Pansophic Circlet, but I typically do DC builds, so whole slot just for spell power doesn't usually fit.
    Asheras - Velania - Renvar - Ventarya - Officer in Loreseekers and Officer of Lava Divers - Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by Renvar View Post
    The age of rage helm is kinda meh, imo, right now. Since I really like the Gauntlets of Innate Aracanum from RL, which have the +19 cha on them already and Evo +8 and Quality Cha +4 and +412 wizardry.

As a result, I am typically doing a Hide Hardened Helm if I'm looking for the 5 piece sorcerer's set bonus from Slave Lords (+4 Artifact DC and +2 artifact to Cha is nice on a DC build). Or I do an LGS one, if I am going for an ender set. Possibly a Pansophic Circlet, but I typically do DC builds, so whole slot just for spell power doesn't usually fit.
    Thx for your input don't forget to vote

Thx for your input don't forget to vote
    I did vote.
    Asheras - Velania - Renvar - Ventarya - Officer in Loreseekers and Officer of Lava Divers - Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by Renvar View Post
    I did vote.
    Thank you

Like I said in another thread: I like how penalties to self-healing gives an added incentive to group.

I wouldn't mind it implemented on heroic elite as well, to some extent. We can have a discussion to what that extent is, exactly. As for scaling, it seems fairly reasonable that ANY penalty to any ability in reaper mode could scale with the adjustable reaper difficulty, from light on R1 to basically no self healing on R10.

Something I noticed playing a monk-life recently, was that the healing ki finisher has the reaper-penalty implemented, while the vampiric effect from the fists of light seemed unaffected. I got the same amount of healing on elite as reaper when punching things, which actually saved my bacon once or twice. 4-6 hp/hit don't seem much, but with good attack speed it made the difference to allow me to fall back and get back in fighting shape on numerous occasions. With the self-healing penalty I SHOULD have only got 1-2 hp/hit, tops at that level. Not sure if this is due to an oversight or WAI.

If you want this thread to become completely toxic, you can bring up the issue of the penalty including temp hp from Shining Through
    "It's not a measure of health to be well-adjusted in a fundamentally sick society"

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebjorn View Post
    Like I said in another thread: I like how penalties to self-healing gives an added incentive to group.

I wouldn't mind it implemented on heroic elite as well, to some extent. We can have a discussion to what that extent is, exactly. As for scaling, it seems fairly reasonable that ANY penalty to any ability in reaper mode could scale with the adjustable reaper difficulty, from light on R1 to basically no self healing on R10.

Something I noticed playing a monk-life recently, was that the healing ki finisher has the reaper-penalty implemented, while the vampiric effect from the fists of light seemed unaffected. I got the same amount of healing on elite as reaper when punching things, which actually saved my bacon once or twice. 4-6 hp/hit don't seem much, but with good attack speed it made the difference to allow me to fall back and get back in fighting shape on numerous occasions. With the self-healing penalty I SHOULD have only got 1-2 hp/hit, tops at that level. Not sure if this is due to an oversight or WAI.

If you want this thread to become completely toxic, you can bring up the issue of the penalty including temp hp from Shining Through
    Well I'm trying to avoid toxicity but what the heck.

What are your perspectives on temp hp from Shining Through ect.?

Well I'm trying to avoid toxicity but what the heck.

What are your perspectives on temp hp from Shining Through ect.?
    I'm gonna say this much: if I want to sleepwalk through a racial life right now, I'll simply make a warlock and solo-breeze through R1 for heroic xp while hitting Shining Through every so often, without worrying even a little about penalties to self-healing. IF I'd end up in a tight spot, I can always park a hire at entrance for a few emergency heals during cooldown.

Not so challenging, really.

Also mind-numbingly boring in the long run.

------------------------------------------------

EDIT: You know, it occurs to me that there's a toggle called "pacifism" in the healer tree for clerics. I doubt any changes will be made to how reaper works, but an case could be made for reducing healing penalty for a toon with that toggle turned on.
    Last edited by Beelzebjorn; 06-06-2018 at 11:03 AM.
    "It's not a measure of health to be well-adjusted in a fundamentally sick society"

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebjorn View Post
    I'm gonna say this much: if I want to sleepwalk through a racial life right now, I'll simply make a warlock and solo-breeze through R1 for heroic xp while hitting Shining Through every so often, without worrying even a little about penalties to self-healing. IF I'd end up in a tight spot, I can always park a hire at entrance for a few emergency heals during cooldown.

Not so challenging, really.

Also mind-numbingly boring in the long run.
    Thank you for your perspective when I did 2 warlock lives people would rage quite on me regularly for zergging some of them were vets. I could solo r3 np and tanked Strahd LE I'v tanked the same as a ftr/pally but had no offence.

I like the effect that the self healing penalty has on encouraging grouping and gearing. I'm a little bewildered by how warlocks are able to get so much non-reduced THP so easily.

But it is letting me get a warforged pastlife nice and easy. Tin cans that can't heal are just fine if they can get 50% of their max health at will.

From my play of lots of different healers; I'd say if they ever cave in and reduce the self healing penalty... do it by increasing the heal penalty on all healing instead of reducing the penalty for self healing. (aka increase the penalty on THP and ally healing). You don't have to be fully heal-focused to heal an ally to full in a single heal as a healing class right now (at high levels).
    Selvera: Dwarf Monk 26; Dwarf pastlives are going to take me a long time.
    Jen: Half Elf Warlock 20; Trying a different sort of tank (then the previous)
    Mayve: Drow Fvs 15/ Monk 5/Epic 10; Ninja Healer

Quote Originally Posted by Selvera View Post
    I like the effect that the self healing penalty has on encouraging grouping and gearing. I'm a little bewildered by how warlocks are able to get so much non-reduced THP so easily.

But it is letting me get a warforged pastlife nice and easy. Tin cans that can't heal are just fine if they can get 50% of their max health at will.

From my play of lots of different healers; I'd say if they ever cave in and reduce the self healing penalty... do it by increasing the heal penalty on all healing instead of reducing the penalty for self healing. (aka increase the penalty on THP and ally healing). You don't have to be fully heal-focused to heal an ally to full in a single heal as a healing class right now (at high levels).
    Good stuff thank you

As a long time casual player that likes to play Paladins, and will play R1s in low to mid level heroics (sorry, no uber power gamer here), I really despise the self healing penalty. Having base class abilities such as lay on hands nerfed so that I need to use 2-3 lay on hands to heal up to full is not cool. I know other casual players in game that also don't like the self-healing nerf. Having said that, I do enjoy the increased risk that Reaper poses, as well as the incentive to run at-level instead of 2 levels over. My suggestion would be to reassess the self healing penalty vs. # of skulls formula so that at R1 the penalty is a non-issue. If other people like this penalty at higher skulls (as seems evident), then it makes sense to keep this at higher skulls.
    The best part of the 10th Anniversary of DDO...the description on the Oatmeal Raisin Kookie,
    "From a distance you thought this was a chocolate chip kookie. Now you're sad."

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    I like the idea of Reaper Self-Healing penalty myself. My reason is it fosters an environment where players "have-each-others-back".

That being said, I do think there are a few places that should be tweaked.

Notably abilities like Lesser Restore which does have a chance to do absolutely nothing if you self cast/drink etc.

I also wouldn't be against a review of abilities like Fast Healing.
    I would like Lesser Restore to be exempted, and maybe the Fast Healing EPL (so it's still noticeable) but otherwise I prefer the self-healing penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Selvera View Post

There's a reason that my current build is T5 into ES, although the T4 is pretty strong by itself. I have 76 Con in Reaper, and that's 152 temps in an AoE every five seconds. Adds up to a lot of damage mitigation...

I could easily approve an overall healing penalty. My current build uses Pally 15's Cure Moderate Wounds and regularly hits 500s. With a level 2 spell, costing 7 SPs. I don't even bother twisting like Cocoon/Renewal because of that. Some sort of overall penalty would create value to dedicated healers, and increase the value of strong off-healers more (also would encourage people to invest in HAmp/Devotion).
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast