Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why is the combat log so useless?

Seriously, why is the combat log such a hot mess? The buffer is way too small to allow a person to scroll back to find a relevant entry, it is stuffed full of non-combat messages which only serves to acerbate the fact that the buffer is far too small, and then there are the messages which just make no sense at all.

Here is just one example of many idiosyncrasies in the combat log:

My L21 Paladin sees this in the combat log - (Combat): You are immune to hasta's angelskin.

Given that as a Paladin I am of course Lawful Good, I'd expect that the spell check of only working on a Lawful Good target to be passed with ease. And on the character sheet I can see the DR 5/evil applied. So what exactly is my character immune to here?

Quote Originally Posted by Niminae View Post
    Seriously, why is the combat log such a hot mess? The buffer is way too small to allow a person to scroll back to find a relevant entry, it is stuffed full of non-combat messages which only serves to acerbate the fact that the buffer is far too small, and then there are the messages which just make no sense at all.
    The buffer is too small, but you can tweak the incoming data types for each log.
    I customize my Combat and Party chat so that are more on-point.

As to what some of the feedback refers to... good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    The buffer is too small, but you can tweak the incoming data types for each log.
    I've already cut out as much non-combat stuff as is possible from the combat log. It doesn't help a lot, and it should.

It'd be nice if we could parse the combat log into something useful as well as automatically export it into a text file as we're playing the game.
    "A wise person chooses the right road; a fool takes the wrong one." - Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

All I want is an alternate way to tell what DR is reducing my damage. I try to do it in the heat of combat, but the combat log just moves too fast for me to focus on any particular line.
    That's not lag, it's just DDO trying to become turn-based again.

Feature wishlist: colour-coded HP bars; red/blue teams in raids; rez-timer in party menu; equip-able halflings

Community Member

Yeah, the only use I really found for the combat log is to check it after I die to see what killed me. And even then it's hard to wade through all of the ****
    My main Orien Bozos - Mozenrath, Messam, Yashamaru, Quackerjack, Koganei

I have never understood why you cannot change the UI color of Advancement- the feedback that tells you any XP you earned. I always have to go seek it out. Its only in white- that blends in with everything else in the general tab. I also would like to be able to see the xp, any reward provided, and description of the achievement for Monster Manual stuff- it skips by so quickly and occurs only when your busy in combat (obviously) across the top of the screen. It's not until later I remember, "oh yeah I need to check my MM."

If the devs can't let us change it ourselves for some tech reason- I suggest they change it themselves to... bright red? Something that sticks out.
    Last edited by Razor_Wit; 06-01-2018 at 04:26 PM.
    "Unexplained noises are best left unexplained."
    -John Bellairs-

Systems Designer

(Combat): You are immune to hasta's angelskin.
    That's pretty whack. I took a snoop around and can't see anything obvious that's causing that to be posted. As far as I can tell it's looking for Alignment correctly. If I find anything else out I'll try to make it stop reporting that.
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

Perhaps, there should be an option in character settings to output all the combat log to an Excel Spreadsheet if people want
    to over analyze why they were dead or why such such DPS doesn't work; or why certain spells do not work.

It could be rolling log format, like 500 entries per file or something.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

That's pretty whack. I took a snoop around and can't see anything obvious that's causing that to be posted. As far as I can tell it's looking for Alignment correctly. If I find anything else out I'll try to make it stop reporting that.
    Any chance you could bring it up during your daily meeting to overhaul the UI? Maybe Cordovan will assist you? Or Steelstar?

It would be nice to actually make the "combat log" useful after all of these years.
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Any chance you could bring it up during your daily meeting to overhaul the UI? Maybe Cordovan will assist you? Or Steelstar?

It would be nice to actually make the "combat log" useful after all of these years.
    Would love to see this happen

Also getting the % for offhand doublestrike added to the attack bonuses pop up on the character sheet would be nice too
    Last edited by EmGreen; 06-01-2018 at 06:53 PM.

Here's some more stuff that I've noticed and parked in my bio for posterity:

(Combat): Your mostly harmless effect has been removed from Cog.
    - Ok, someone on the dev staff is a Douglas Adams fan. And so am I. But really, a 'mostly harmless' effect? In this context I am an Artificer and Cog is my homunculus.

(Combat): Something's nothing effect has been removed from you.
    - Really? Something's nothing effect? So neither the source nor the actual thing itself are known, but still the combat log makes sure to mention it. Brilliant!

(Standard): Grave Wrappings has been permanently damaged!
    - Well after named items were made immune to permanent damage. Hell, I started playing well after named items were immune to permanent damage. And the Grave Wrapping had no permanent damage. This isn't a combat log message, but I thought it deserved a mention anyway.

(Combat): Daily Dice 83
    (Standard): You rolled 83 on your Daily Dice and earned a Boosts prize!
    - Why is a Daily Dice roll a combat item? Just, why? It is things like this that are shoved into the combat log that help make it the useless mess that it is.

(Combat): You heal 371 points of damage from Damage per caster level.
    - I healed damage from Damage per caster level? I know what all of those words mean individually, but in that sentence they do not parse.

(Combat): Error! Name_Property missing's force of plot hit you for a total of 8 points of fire damage after 42 were blocked by energy resistance.
    - This one is the best! Worst? It is messed up. Who knows what damaged me? Not the combat log, that's for sure! Although I gotta give it to the dev who programmed in a 'force of plot' message.
    Last edited by Niminae; 06-01-2018 at 08:10 PM.

Community Member

Here's some more stuff that I've noticed and parked in my bio for posterity:

(Combat): Your mostly harmless effect has been removed from Cog.
    - Ok, someone on the dev staff is a Douglas Adams fan. And so am I. But really, a 'mostly harmless' effect? In this context I am an Artificer and Cog is my homunculus.
    Mostly Harmless is the name of the Bluff buff. Which gets removed a few seconds after your doggo bluffs a thing. Perfectly normal.
    Your doggo doesn't have his own combat log, so someone might want to know what happened where.

Community Member

(Combat): Error! Name_Property missing's force of plot hit you for a total of 8 points of fire damage after 42 were blocked by energy resistance.
    - This one is the best! Worst? It is messed up. Who knows what damaged me? Not the combat log, that's for sure! Although I gotta give it to the dev who programmed in a 'force of plot' message.
    Finally, hard evidence of the existence of Plot Armor.
    A little snark, no vitriol.
    (with credit to HungarianRhapsody)

Graceana, assassin ~ Xiya, tempest ~ Shinshi, shintao ~ Ayaxi, thief-acrobat ~ Saravi, cleric ~ Sanziana, arcane archer ~ Kyudojin, mechanic
    Talvi, caster druid ~ Zinzie, sorc ~ Kishori, spellsinger ~ Faunia, wolf druid ~ Viven, warchanter ~ Jianqiao, ninja spy
    Cliodna, wizard ~ Serenwyn, swashbuckler ~ Duisteri, shuribuild ~ Mahuika, warlock ~ Narabali, tank ~ Tabbithah, artificer
    The Casual Obsession
    Khyber

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grace_ana View Post
    Finally, hard evidence of the existence of Plot Armor.
    This is more akin to Plot Weaponry XD

Then again, this IS D&D. The whole point is trying to harm and endanger the players without wishing them to fail (or letting them know you want them to succeed).

If it's Plot Weaponry, it's automagically non-lethal.

DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING.

It works fine, and I would really like for it to stay that way. Please don't mess with the code and break all the things.

Why you people report stuff like this? Now Dev's are gonna break the combat log (or worse angelskin itself), and then we have to wait like 3 years till they get around to fixing it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wh070aa View Post
    Why you people report stuff like this? Now Dev's are gonna break the combat log (or worse angelskin itself), and then we have to wait like 3 years till they get around to fixing it again.
    You can't break something that is already broken. The combat log is already broken and nigh-useless, and it needs some dev attention to fix. Ignoring a problem never makes it go away.

I think one of the problems with the combat log is that too many different types of things are all listed here. For example, someone trying to figure out their damage output/received has to scroll through hundreds of entries about random buffs being applied or dropped the moment they step into a party with an aura-lock. All kinds of refreshing buffs and other effects show up in the combat log and some of them are simply not helpful because of a lack of clarity or simply being unneeded for most players.

My suggestion would be to add a damage log or to mute some recurring buffs as long as they stay continually active- I don't need to know that my warlock's aura buff is refreshing itself because that's what the aura buff does. If it doesn't, I won't notice that in the combat log anyway. Another suggestion would be to filter by incoming/outgoing/self effects- damage you deal to enemies, saves and throws against hostile effects, and your own buffs and healing could be split into three channels. That way, you could see why a certain effect is/isn't working like expected without having to drudge through one log with a ton of information that just isn't helpful.

Or, alternatively, the combat log could just list damage and saves instead of a bunch of non-combat buffing and other stuff that isn't as helpful. Spewing up less text would probably marginally help server load, also, at least for the chat servers.
    I primarily play Zunzyne Siegemaker, and am the guild master of Ares Macrotechnology on Ghallanda.
    Reaper Experience Calculator: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...ewE/edit#gid=0 (out of date as of U42.4, needs testing for new values)

You can't break something that is already broken. The combat log is already broken and nigh-useless, and it needs some dev attention to fix. Ignoring a problem never makes it go away.
    It's never just one thing that breaks, and you can occasionally test your actual(or at least one variation of it) damage in there.

Messing with this has potential to bork ALL checks for aliment based items or spells, among other stuff. Who knows where else the thing sent is checked for.

Remember this thing doubles as DEBUG tools output, so it probably deals with some problematic code already.
    Last edited by Wh070aa; 06-02-2018 at 10:52 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wh070aa View Post
    It's never just one thing that breaks, and you can occasionally test your actual(or at least one variation of it) damage in there.

Messing with this has potential to bork ALL checks for aliment based items or spells, among other stuff. Who knows where else the thing sent is checked for.

Remember this thing doubles as DEBUG tools output, so it probably deals with some problematic code already.
    Yeah! Never clean things up for fear of who knows what!

The combat log has needed cleaning up since forever, it would help both community and devs understand what is happening. The only reasons I can see not to bother are:

- that the devs don't want people to realize exactly what's happening (since it seems there are so many bugs with hit%, DC's, new items, etc)
    - players know something that they don't want discovered with clean logging (Wh0, you defend this like it's a bug you're exploiting)

And as to who knows where code is checked - in theory the developers of the code. And if not, they should go look. Your last line is literally gibberish.

Cleaning up spaghetti code is always worth the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast